Old October 28, 2002, 19:19   #1
Mr. Fed
Settler

Local Time: 09:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OK, so I'm a loser -- help me cheat
I hate to abandon a game, but I'm in a bad spot. Playing only regent (I know, a wimp) but the game's spaking me like a level or two higher. I've put a lot of hours into the game and am around 1300 or so. I've got the French, and wish I could have muskateers, but here's the problem: no saltpeter. The available saltpeter is in the center of highly defended enemy continents; those enemies don't like me and I have nothing they want to change that opinion.

So rather than abandon the game before the inevitable slaughter, I'll bow to my cheatin' heart and ask for evil help. Has anyone seen a cheat program that can add a resource to a map? I just want to add one little saltpeter.

[I hope this is the right forum -- didn't see a more suitable one for this]
Old October 28, 2002, 19:39   #2
Cuff Dunk
Settler

Local Time: 04:58
Disclaimer:
I do not endorse cheating. Cheating is bad, and it takes the fun out of a great game. Cheaters should play the game on an easier level and actually get better. Etc, etc, etc.

Well, I may get the crap flamed out of me for this, but...

You might try using the Civ3 MultiTool which you can find in the Files section. Whether it can add a resource, I dont know, but it might help you cheat and obtain one through, err, other means...

But, you should really try do go without if you can. A couple of Techs might just soften up a cold hearthed enemy...
Old October 28, 2002, 19:56   #3
HazieDaVampire
King

number of things from an editting stand point, start with extra settlers, extra free techs.

if your really bad, start your self off at the middle ages!

by the way, i do not cheat! you can tell in my current game, i'm behind with techs. And i am struggling to setller on all of my island!
Old October 28, 2002, 19:57   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the "unwinnable" wars are some of the best to learn from.

and plus, you may win somehow
Old October 28, 2002, 20:14   #5
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Hey, you're not tally lost, you can still build pikemen right? Play it out and see how it goes. There is a way to survive without gunpowder, or even oil later on. Just mass up your army and you should be alright.
Old October 28, 2002, 20:31   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:58
I do not know of any cheats, but put up a sav so we can see what is going on.
Old October 28, 2002, 20:54   #7
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 10:58
Don't worry TOO much about not getting musketeers. yes, missing your UU sux immensly but sometimes you have to. Just remember that there are a long 750 years to the game left and if you concentrate on building and diplomacy for example, you may streak ahead in techs so that you won't need muskateers anymore. Just try to keep playing, change tactics, and learn. You may still win, it depends on the diplomacy.
Old October 29, 2002, 11:44   #8
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

I think I remember seeing some kind of cheat program on avault but I don't know. As for my feelings on cheating if your getting angry over a single player game go ahead and "cheat" (as long as you can't do it in multiplayer) if it makes it more fun for you. However if you ever want to play multiplayer I'd suggest that after you not cheat excessivly, and that once you start winning easily you stop and start playing with out cheats. This will really help you in MP where you (hopefully) wont be able to use those cheats.
Old October 29, 2002, 12:31   #9
wilbill
Warlord

Saltpeter is probably the resource I miss least if I don't get it. Not having a UU is a pain, but fighting a war with musketeers to get your GA is no fun, either.

I've played the French several times and probably have triggered the GA with wonders more often than with combat. You can defend yourself with pikemen while waiting for riflemen to show up. Musketeers don't appear at a great time for offensive operations.
Old October 29, 2002, 12:33   #10
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 01:58
Or even if you still want to cheat, continue playing a non-cheat version too. Not only is there a lot to learn, but going from underdog to victor can be quite a rush! Or at the very least keep your non-cheat version in case you change your mind and... "evil" isn't to your liking.
Old October 29, 2002, 12:42   #11
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:58
Disclaimer: I don't endorse cheating, either.

OK, I think you should proceed with the game. To me, stuff like that is what makes the game fun... if there is no challenge, I fail to see where the fun is. See if the enemies attack you. If they do, you'll have to use some tactics to win the war that seems unwinnable... it's OK, and it's fun. And really, you might win it.

I'm not too upset if I lack Saltpeter. At least not till Cavalries. My bet would be live with it, but still try to trade for it, Cavalries really rule.
Old October 29, 2002, 12:57   #12
Skeeve
Prince

My advice is to try and "stick it out" and keep playing... but if you really want to quit and be done with the whole mess, at least try and figure out how you got into it in the first place so you will have learned something.

Otherwise, the next Regent game you play might lead to the same situation.
Old October 30, 2002, 01:51   #13
Muddi
Settler

If you are currently at war, then try to get some to ally with you and war with your enemy. They will usually recruit a civ or to and before you know it there is a world war (always lots of fun).

As for the satpeter WHO CARES. I personaly this rubber is better (God bless thos artilary and infantry). The only thing that ticks me off is not getting coal.

As for being french, its easy to win because your industrious and comercial. If you cant build it, buy it. Having a lower science rate for extra cash can give you a boost with improvements (like banks and unis) to help you rocket through the latter eras. I had a french regent in space b4 1950's once