Old October 31, 2002, 14:06   #31
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry I couldn't update the top post with the 40% and 50% proposals as well as mine. Some unexpected things have happened in the last 24 hours and I got tied down.
Anyway, if anyone likes to know, my current stand is to raise the slider to 40% and invest more in scientific city improvements.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 31, 2002, 14:32   #32
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:01
Good discussion on this topic so far.

I'm in favor of a 50% sci rate, but I'm willing to compromise and go 40% at this time, until we get our cities finally developed.

40% - 12 Turns; 304LPT
50% - 10 Turns; 231LPT

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 31, 2002, 14:35   #33
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

You need to check out the 820AD city status report for what we have currently planned. I also have plans to add some More Markets, 2 Banks, 2 Universities and changing a place holder to Bank. Hopefully, After Contagion has buildt an FP and Library, it can start on Wall Street.

E_T
That sounds like a very good plan.

I was just trying to argue against an excesively high (over 50%) science setting due to the importance of buying city improvements.

Last edited by Randolph; October 31, 2002 at 15:42.
Old October 31, 2002, 14:38   #34
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Roadcage, as it stands now even with few libaries.

[quote] [size = 1]Now for some quick figures: [/size]

0% - 36 Turns; 552LPT
10% - 36 Turns; 489LPT
20% - 25 Turns; 430LPT
30% - 16 Turns; 362LPT
40% - 12 Turns; 304LPT
[50% - 10 Turns; 231LPT
60% - 8 Turns; 178LPT
70% - 7 Turns; 118LPT
80% - 6 Turns; 54LPT
90% - 6 Turns; -9LPT
100% - 5 Turns; -67LPT[/qoute]

That 80% option (6 turns) as we currently stand would be fast enough to outrace the AI to only thing if we started reseraching the same turn. The only reason I'm not advoiating that high yet is that so many of the cities near the FP site don't have Market Places.

The science slider & # of worked roaded tiles are the dominent factor on how fast we can research. Libaries & Universitys are helpful, but secondary.

Democracy is not a highly reserached path. This was made clear by us managing to be the first in the world to discover Printing Press dispite taking 40 turns to do so. Democracy itself is a low prioritiy AIbut not as low as Printing Press.

We definately beat the AI reseraching Democracy at 40% plus as it stands now.
I'm not so sure at 30%.
At 20% it's probable that some AI beats us to it.
At 0 / 10%, the AI definately beats us to it and in addition to us not being able to sell it, we become a buyer to it.

We can re evaluate reserach when the Golden Age ends, but by then the Forbiden Palace will be complete.

In the mean time, all that is needed to keep up with the AI in research is a desire to do so.

[QUOTE] Originally posted by roadcage
Sorry joncnunn, but while we are big enough in city count and pop, we have so few libraries and universities that we still cannot keep up.
Old October 31, 2002, 15:20   #35
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:01
I was careless and replied with haste. The biggest producers of commerce at the moment are either already working on a library and will be done shortly or are working on a cathedral that is necessary to retain WLTKD or a courthouse that will benefit both economy and research greater than a library would, and have library in their next queue slot or after a worker. E_T did a good job.
I'm not as worried about lack of funds as I were before. As someone has said before, the war with France is technically over and with our current forces, we do not need additional funds to end the war and completely annex France. If Aggie decides not to make any requests for funds the next turnchat, I will be in favor of raising the slider to either 40% or 50%, whatever the executive branch decides.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 31, 2002, 16:03   #36
F-PRO
Call to Power II Democracy GamePtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 11:01
This is really a great debate, and I doubt I have anything reasonable to add; but as a Civ3DG newbie I will try...

Some argue that we have to get all those libraries, courthouses etc. now since we can benefit from the high Golden Age productivity. But this argument can be flipped to the other side by saying that we need to spend more on science now since it's a Golden Age.

I favour the last option because this is the time that we can race through the technology tree and, as said earlier, not waste money on buying the techs from other civs. I recognize there are other problems to take care of too, but raising science spending now will save us money later AND give us all the great benefits of advanced technology. So, I'm for a 50% rate.