Old October 30, 2002, 12:34   #1
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Machiavelli Institute: Analysis of Lost Civs
An entire world has opened before us, fellow Aploytonians. Time to roll up our sleeves and undertake some geopolitical analysis.

Some early thoughts:

The Zulus (aka, the Gem Tribes)
These people don't have much room to work with -- a cramped island, which seems to have undercut this people's expansionist advantages and left it crippled. All those gems, though! Shaka will have to try to wheel and deal his way out of backwardness -- not his strongpoint. A central location and a relatively small size makes this civ an attractive possibility for overseas expansion, IMO .

The Indians (aka, the Furry Folk)
They dress well, and they seem to have gotten the edge over the Chinese. With their civ qualities and their territory they might be able to play themselves into power status -- if they weren't hobbled by ineffective AI algorithms. It would be fun to play this civ in this game. In any event, these people might be very effective to cultivate as trading partners and allies.

The Chinese (aka, the Luxless)
They have only one lux tile in their home territory, and their bid to extend the fur monopoly (via Macao) seems to have been checked effectively by the Indians. A rider/war elephant war might help them recover, (they do have iron and horses, and a human player could put together a devastating burst attack), but at this point I doubt it.

The Japanese (aka, the Silken Ones)
Watch out for these people. Fate handed them an isolated start. But they hold a fair amount of territory, including prime oil possibilities. (So do the Indians, by the way. Our best hope for oil closer to home lies in Abananaba Minor.) The Silken Ones will be forces to reckon with.

Other thoughts or observations?
Old October 30, 2002, 13:06   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:01
A good overview of the newfound civs. I think you should add several scenarios of possible wars between these civs in the near future to your analysis.
I'm still waiting for a more verbose report though. I want my numbers and pie charts!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 30, 2002, 13:33   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The only war I see breaking out anytime soon is an Indian-Chinese war. (Not counting AI declaring war on an AI but not fighting.)

If we were playing either the Indians or Chinese I'm sure we would have conquered the other by now to gain supreme status over the home island.

Looks like if we were playing the Japanese we would have had a boring existance for a long time.

And if we had started in the Zulu spot, there would probably have quickly been calls for a restart.
Old October 30, 2002, 16:36   #4
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 11:01
Quote:
Looks like if we were playing the Japanese we would have had a boring existance for a long time.

And if we had started in the Zulu spot, there would probably have quickly been calls for a restart.
looks like the banana really smiled upon our ancestors.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:09   #5
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by zeit

looks like the banana really smiled upon our ancestors.
How ironic! The oldtimers among us will remember how we cursed and moaned over those first few turns, as our scout warriors plunged into what seemed like a sea of endless jungle above our tiny peninsula.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:38   #6
Reddawg
Prince

I'm going to release and addendum to the State of the Nation that specifically analyzes the new civs we've found; I hope to have it out by Friday.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:42   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

You know, if the AIs were like some human players:

1. Zulu player 5 turns after the game starts demands a restart.

2. Abe demands a restart after he loses one city to us.

3. Joan of Arc demands a restart after losing Paris to us.

4. Xerxes demands a restart after we take the Pyraimds.

5. Japan, China, and India demands a restart upon checking the foreign advisor after contacting us and discovering our most advanced unit is Calvary and they are only still very early in the middle ages.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:55   #8
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Reddawg
I'm going to release and addendum to the State of the Nation that specifically analyzes the new civs we've found; I hope to have it out by Friday.
Yer the man, 'dawg. I was hoping you'd pick up on Shiber's request.
Old October 30, 2002, 20:06   #9
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 06:01
So true, joncnunn, so true.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.