View Poll Results: Do we continue war with France
Yes 40 81.63%
No 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4, 2002, 18:01   #31
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As mentioned, I'm opposed to sezing any of Zululand, but all the war werrious problems would be on this forum and kept out of the game if the war was done right. (The fleet built first and the Calvary all in an ocean square off the coast of Zululand set to invade when the Zulu treaty expires.)

Yes, there would be a considerable resources. Three of the Caravels Aggie wants would need to be built. (Alternative: Wait for us to have Combustion and then only 1 Transport would need built. (With 2 existing Carvels upgraded to Transports) But this would require the Zulus not to have gotten too many free techs by then. And in addition, by then we would need 1 or 2 Iron Clads to protect our Transports during the trip.

The oppertunity cost for development would be huge as well. So many of our coastal cities haven't finished building all the structures they can in the middle ages and Hospitals & Factories are right around the corner.

Thankfully though, all the waste and corrpution will be confiend to the Zulu cities under a Democracy. They are so far away, they won't displace any of our existing cities in distance to capital / forbiden palace.

On the idea of leaving Zulu some cities after the conquest, it's a bad idea. With only 7 cities, Zulu has got to have above average cultural per city ratings. (Primarly from early Temples)

I note that the Chinese capital is just across a short channel from Zululand as well. It will exert culutral pressure over any south western citys in Zululand we don't remove. (Will need to be done carefully so that no AI turns around and tries to establish a city there.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I'm in support of seizing the gems, but I'm hesitant towards the idea of taking all of the Zulus. On one hand, they have only 7 cities and if we left them with a few their culture might cause distress to our cities. On the other, the war would generate substantial war weariness, would take considerable resources which would be away from Apolytonia for civil defense, and would may cost us quite a bit in development and corruption.

We would have a lifetime monopoly of gems, though. It's hard to calculate just how much profit that would result in. Right now we get gems for "free" as we're trading insignifigant techs for them, but such a deal will not last forever.

--Togas
Old November 4, 2002, 18:08   #32
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
We'll have bigger fish to fry before we'll be in a position to take the Gems for ourselves. With the Industrial Age quickly looming, we'll be in the mist of some nasty MPP Wars, that we could pick & choose who to help and who to hinder. Germany will most likely have 2 Science Wonders that we will have to Annex from them and leave them (Germany) partly intact for some other techs.

If we don't get STC, We'll have to look at taking out Russia to get it. And there's always TOBE....

Just some things before we're ready to take some Gems. IMHO!

E_T
Old November 4, 2002, 18:21   #33
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
I don't dought we could capture the Zulu island.

However, during the war, that's 15 less Calvary that could be adviable for sacking either England or Germany in response to a neighboring country declaring war on either of them.
We should have ample Offensive units by the time we look at Annexing the Gems.
Quote:

Moreover it's going to be a drain of our resources to control.
[snip]
Not really, if it's done correctly first.

Quote:
All cities there will have 95% corruption and 95% waste (even with Court House + Police Station) and so everytime something needs built there it has to be rushed.
They will have a larger Distance Factor for corruption than we currently are experiance, but not that much more. Currently, our most distant city, Arbela, has only about 18% corruption from Distance, the rest is from Number of Cities (currently about 50%). They shouldn't be in Catasrophic Corruptuion if we do things correctly. We might have to move the Palace again, so that the FP takes more cities under it's wings, and the number of cities factor won't be too much of a problem with Zululand. I don't see corruption as too much of an issue. I'll have a better handle on it when I get my Palace/FP centric Corruption spreadsheet done soon.

E_T