Old October 30, 2002, 17:01   #1
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 11:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Jungle preservation
I know we are still a long way to go, but i figured we must keep some of our ancient jungle in place, at least for the tourisits to see from what early tough condition we have grown to such a glorious empire, and for the ecological value of. I thought the following site would be the best- it's close to our capital, and to the future site of the palace, and it's some of the most ancient jungle sites we have left, since our early days of expansion (i wasn't here, but i assumed this was so, please correct me if i'm wrong).

What do you think:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	reservation.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	28156  
Old October 30, 2002, 17:09   #2
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 06:03
Why do you care about the jungle? Are you a doctor that will make money off of desperate people with malaria?
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:17   #3
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 05:03
Cool idea, zeit. I once played a game where, after hacking my way out of a horrendous jungle start, I arbitrarily decided that my warrior/priests (I was Aztec) had learned dark secrets and skills in the "Heart of Darkness" and that, from that point on, I would leave a patch of jungle precisely one-tile big within the radius of my core cities, where I made military units.

We don't need to try anything so radical here, but it does seem to me we could establish a heritage preserve, sending future generations of school kids on field trips to learn where their ancestors came from.

After all, one tile of minimal productivity shouldn't hurt us too much, particularly once we've relocated our capital.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:18   #4
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Panzer- This is part of our heritage, the jungle is where our ancestors were made tough and resilient, the lessons that we have learned in the jungles have past us through history's challenges, and brought to where we are now. We can't allow it completely disappear.

Who's with me?
Old October 30, 2002, 17:22   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Very bad location: Your zone contains the W-NW and W-SW squares of Banana HQ. Looking at the terriagn, these squares would ideally be the 10th and 11th tiles worked by that city once they are cleared and mined even if no shield is underneith. So those tiles are needed even before we build a Hospital.

The square just NE of Gotham is also a bad location because evenually we need to work that tile as well. (Post Hospital.) The hospital doesn't give immunity to plagues from jungle so to protect our citizens health we will evenually have to clear (and mine) it.

For the record, the only areas I'm in favor of Jungle Persevation are those jungle tiles outside all cities City Radius.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:23   #6
zeit
King

Robert- even 4 tiles won't hurt our economy that badly- we are the richest, largest and most powerful civ in the world- we dont have to worry about a few jungle tiles around our cities. Just step out of the mere Civ3 game modeling and imagine how you see Apolytonia in the future- as a nation that remembers it's past and faces the future, or as a nation that denies it's heritage and blindly destroying natural treasures?
Old October 30, 2002, 17:28   #7
zeit
King

We hardly have any jungle tiles outside any city radius, and those are far of and won't have hold a strong cultural value as these central jungle tiles- as those who played from the beginng probably realize. These few jungle tiles can't really hurt us- and the entire area around them was cleared mined/irrigated, so my ponit is that it is a highly developed zone that doesn't really need those few extra grass tiles, and we'll have plenty more once we clear that huge jungle.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:30   #8
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Zeit, that one tile north of your red circle (3-NW Banana HQ / N-2NE Gothem / 2 E-SE Timeline) is outside all City Raidus and is therefore qualifies as a jungle tile square that can be preserved.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:32   #9
joncnunn
Emperor

Banana HQ is a costal city and therefore will need the extra shields that clearing the two jungle tiles + mining will provide it.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:32   #10
zeit
King

Joncunn- I don't mind any other central location- having the preserve move one tile north is fine, but i think that only one tile won't do our ancient jungle justice.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:37   #11
zeit
King

- Joncunn- on the contrary, BHQ have one mountain tile being mined right now- most of our central cities don't have any shield producing tiles beside grassland+shield, which are not plentiful, so, it's position as coastal city doesn't reduce it's production compared to other cities around it.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:40   #12
Reddawg
Prince

While I'm not a greedy dirty pollutionist, I want those tiles cleared!!!
However I think it'd be great to preserve some jungle, but only at some location within our border but outside of any city radius. That way we lose nothing.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:46   #13
zeit
King

Guys, the whole point of natural preserves is that we DO lose something, but we earn something else- right- we hold progress and industrial evolution, but we earn a cultural and natural asset, that was my point here- In our current state- we can afford to lose those tiles, creating a "Jungle park" next to our cities, were both foreign and domestic tourists can enjoy a different experience from their everyday labor in their bustling and developed industrial cities.
Old October 30, 2002, 18:18   #14
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 04:03
I may not be around to advocate for it, but this has my full, undying support. Preserve the Jungle so that our children will remember.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 30, 2002, 18:28   #15
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Slash and burn baby. BURN!!!!

(OK, I support the idea in principal, but think other areas may be better. Not touching any city, and preferably outside any city radious).

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 30, 2002, 18:32   #16
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

I'm one of those radical conservationists. I personally am not a big fan of this particular site, though. Something more westerly, or even easterly. Near the old Persian or French borders. But immeadiatly next to a potential metropolis? Tis a little unrealistic.

Aside from all of that, its also a little small. whatever.
Old October 30, 2002, 20:04   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Where did this discussion come from?

We already have 5 jungle tiles preserved in 3 National Parks, and the Parks have names so why do we need more jungle preserves?
Old October 30, 2002, 20:49   #18
Vitreous Humor
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:03
We'll need to keep some jungle for when rubber turns up. Where the old persian border was might be the best palce.

And we 'll have plant some jungle on Uber Isle. Our citizens their have never seen the towering trees rising out of the dense undergrowth in the early morning mist. Never experienced the dozens of diseases and poisonous animals that infest the place. Never had to weld a machette in uneneding centuries long backbreaking labour. Its turning into an island of wimps.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:09   #19
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Slash and burn baby. BURN!!!!

(OK, I support the idea in principal, but think other areas may be better. Not touching any city, and preferably outside any city radious).
Ditto....

E_T
Old October 30, 2002, 21:15   #20
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Vitreous Humor
We'll need to keep some jungle for when rubber turns up.
No need for that. Even cleared jungle tiles can generate rubber.

Quote:
And we 'll have plant some jungle on Uber Isle. Our citizens their have never seen the towering trees rising out of the dense undergrowth in the early morning mist. Never experienced the dozens of diseases and poisonous animals that infest the place. Never had to weld a machette in uneneding centuries long backbreaking labour. Its turning into an island of wimps.
Exactly.
Old October 31, 2002, 00:22   #21
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

If we save jungle tiles THE ONLY reason is because we want jungle. It has NOTHING to do with resources. All our jungle tiles had strategic resources assigned to them at the beginnning of the game and will have them EVEN if the tile has been cleared.
Old October 31, 2002, 19:44   #22
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:03
Zeit, you've got too much time on your hands.
Old November 1, 2002, 11:30   #23
zeit
King

-Hardly so, realpolitic-
I started studying Biology and Psychology at the University two weeks ago, and my hands are full- but i find time for those important things...

What made me think about this issue are Ecology classes, the great importance in preserving ecosystems, for many different reasons. The most important principal in ecology, contrary to what people think of "tree hugging" ecologists is that things that are ecologicaly "bad" are those that hurt men, and vice versa. More People today realizes the great benefits of different eco-systems all over the world- and work harder to keep those systems alive. In our game, preserving the jungles is a disdavantage- which is unlike the real world, since the game is not that sophisticated. I thought this jungle is worth preserving, since it holds that cultural value to us players, but if that is not the way most people see it, and view the jungle as an enemy- than as Ghengis puts it: "burn jungle, burn!".
Old November 1, 2002, 14:08   #24
joncnunn
Emperor

Zeit, it's still the late Middle Ages in the game. Nobody will know anything about Ecology for centuries.

Our people don't even know the real reason that those wondering into jungles die yet and are instead saying "it was just Bananas will" that those who work too long in jungles die.
Old November 1, 2002, 16:53   #25
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

There is no bad consequence for clearing the jungle in the game, is there? I believe the answer is no, therefore I am supporting the destruction of the jungle. Perhaps if there was a good reason for conservation, I would think about it more (possibly and idea for Civ 4 ?)
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old November 1, 2002, 17:54   #26
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 10:03
I believe that we should at least strive to save what jungle we can that is outside our glorious cities radii.

Our Forefathers trials must not be forgotten.

Controlled Burning