Old October 31, 2002, 19:04   #31
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
isak, I think we're in complete agreement here. The difference between us is that my MP doesn't work and yours does. So I'm the one that is supposed to get angry. And I do.

Dominae
Old October 31, 2002, 19:20   #32
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:03
Dominae, have you found a couple of people with very low ping times and tried with them?
Old October 31, 2002, 23:22   #33
Chuckles
King

Local Time: 02:03
Are any of you guys having firewall programs using ZoneAlarm? I have that but I haven't tried MP yet.
Old November 1, 2002, 00:48   #34
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 05:03
I was surprise to see PtW at the compucentre few days ahead then what i expected, and if i had money, i would of bought it right there and then, lol ...yet, for some reason, it is like 50 dollars canadian (tax included) when i expect like 30... sudden price change? bit to expensive for an add-on that doesn't work on all computers and not working properlly. i thought there was a beta test with this game?

anyway, not going to buy it until Firaxis smarts up for once and make the game playable in one patch.

one far fetch theory is that the people making the many copies of the game didn't get the newest version it as happened before....

-Mellian
Old November 1, 2002, 03:08   #35
Dominae
Emperor

nye, I don't think I've tried to host or join a game when everyone involved was less than 100 ping. If that's the solution, I'll gladly wait for such people to show up, but I have a bad feeling it's not the answer to all my problems. I know some of you have had successes with MP games over the internet, and I'd really like to know your secret, because I've tried everything I know how to try (honestly).

Dominae
Old November 1, 2002, 05:51   #36
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Dominae, I found someone in the same city as me. It was very smooth. Others further away can be good too, it is hit and miss. More miss apparently. Unfortunate.

We really need some matching services to help us find good candidates for good games.

Mark?
Old November 1, 2002, 13:30   #37
Zamphyr
Settler

Quote:
4. In my experience, if the host leaves a game, a crash usually occurs for the other players, although I have heard otherwise.

It is my understanding(and experience) that if the host leaves the game, hosting duties pass to Player2. Your Player2 being unable to host may be the cause of the crashes.

Hope you get a good MP game going soon
Old November 1, 2002, 13:41   #38
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 11:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
isak, I think we're in complete agreement here. The difference between us is that my MP doesn't work and yours does. So I'm the one that is supposed to get angry. And I do.
No, you're the one that's supposed to get smart

If PtW MP works for some people, but never for you, something on your end is causing the problem - end of story!

It may be something that can be fixed, and if you want us to help you find out how, start going through your system, changing stuff around, reinstalling stuff, disabling stuff - and post descriptions of the bugs, crashes, errors whatever occur as a result...

If you don't want it fixed - well, rant on dude
Old November 1, 2002, 14:03   #39
Dominae
Emperor

First, thank you all for being so supportive and hoping my MP gets to work; I hope it does too (eventually)!

My points are these:

1. Getting MP to work is a chore, and when it does finally work I've got bad lag issues.

2. I don't think I should have to shop around for opponents; everyone in North America (at least) should be able to play MP with minimal lag, since it's possible in so many other games.

3. An intermediate to advanced knowledge of computers should not be a requirement for any piece of gaming software to be worth the buy. I almost have a degree in Computer Science myself, so I know what I'm doing when I "tweak", but too much tweaking just to have fun just isn't fun.

As I hope you can see, this is far from a rant, but a clam noting of facts, facts which makes my MP experience suck. Something needs to be done, and I don't think it's my responsibility to do it (or at least all of it).

Dominae
Old November 1, 2002, 14:24   #40
Edgar Newt
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMBtS Tri-League
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:03
Stuck in "pick a civ" screen
I am no longer crashing, but get stuck in the "pick a civ" screen. Last night I couldn't join a game during over two hours of trying despite (a) downloading the patch, (b) disabling my firewall, (c) being well above the system requirements, and (d) a lot of praying and cursing.

Everybody I tried with -- even on 2 person games -- was under 200 in ping. Got stuck in the "pick a civ" screen if I was lucky. Sometimes just got kicked back the PTW main menu (the one with start, quick start, load, preferences, etc.).

What is the problem here?

I'd appreciate ANY response from Firaxis that at least acknowledges that they understand there is a problem that needs to be rectified. My family has orders for four copies of PTW. I've had to call my brothers to tell them to cancel their orders until this is resolved.

Sad. Very sad.

Firaxis, YOU STRUGGLE!
Old November 1, 2002, 16:24   #41
Dominae
Emperor

Some may be interested to know that I've finally played my first successful MP game. Thanks to MightyQuinn for the game and the patience to get it started. It was fun.

What still isn't fun is the time I had to spend just to get 1 game going. If Firaxis can resolve that, we got a hit here.

Dominae
Old November 1, 2002, 16:45   #42
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Congratulations?
@Dominae

Glad you're now an initiate

So maybe we could get some info on what you did to make it work?

@Edgar Newt

Try disabling your antivirus and any other internet-active program.
Also, how did you get from crashing to 'just' getting stuck in the Pick A civ screen - did you change any settings, reinstall or something?
Old November 1, 2002, 17:29   #43
Edgar Newt
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMBtS Tri-League
Chieftain

isak: I disabled my firewall. After that, it just alternated between kicking me to the start screen and limbo in the "pick civ" screen.

I am not positive that turning of the firewall made any difference as I tried it later with the firewall on, and I didn't crash, but was left in limbo.
Old November 1, 2002, 17:43   #44
Jerk
Chieftain

I have yet to get past TURN 3 when I do manage to successfully start a game. Here are a list of my problems:
1) Game freezes when selecting some drop down options in the game setup screen.
2) Random game crashes when just idling during the first screen when people join my game or I join theirs.
3) After 2 turns I get a window that says the game has become desynched and that I need to restart (This happens when I hosted and when my friend hosted
4) During a LAN game my roomate and I got to about turn 3 when my game froze after recieving a tech from a goodie hut.

I have:
PIII 500
192 megs of ram
Windows 98 SE (With all critical updates done)
DirectX 8.1
GeForce 3 Ti200 (Updated to latest drivers)
Soundblaster Live Value (Updated to latest drivers)
Logitech USB mouseman (Updated to latest drivers)
All programs were disabled. I was running only Civ3PTW.
I access the internet via a network card that is hooked into a switch that has the cable modem hooked into the uplink port. I have my own IP (no firewall, no router, no ICS)
The friend I played on the internet was only 2 hops away. He lives about 5 blocks away from me and uses the same isp as I do (RoadRunner) and we were getting under 50 for a ping time.
I use no download accelerator program or anything like that.
We tried playing Simultanious Moves and Turn Based with the same results.
Old November 1, 2002, 20:23   #45
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

My new Best Friend:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	exe.gif
Views:	498
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	28308  
Old November 2, 2002, 00:37   #46
syf
Settler

Local Time: 18:03
While playing a LAN game with 2 players and 4 AIs, i've noticed that there's a problem with diplomacy and AI.

As in before it seems to 'syncronize' after the trade is done, it's possible for the other player to do the same.

Example:
person a) trades nationalism to the ai for 40 gold per turn.
person b) has 5 seconds to do the exact same thing, and get 40 gold per turn aswell.
Old November 2, 2002, 00:43   #47
jdjbuffalo
Settler

Local Time: 03:03
"Worest Game Ever!"
Now that may be a bit of any overstatement. But honestly, I've never seen such a buggy game and I've done beta testing before.

Setup:
Custom Built (Water Cooled)
P4 2.53 GHz
512 MB DDR 2700
120 GB Hard Drive
Audigy 2 Platinum
Geforce 2 (yeah I know, I'm waiting for the Geforce 5)

Playing over a high speed LAN within the same house.

The Good:
- The single player is great and I love all the new stuff.

The Bad (oh, where should I begin):
- I haven't been able to sucessful get one mulitiplayer game past the 2nd turn.
- I have found AT LEAST 10 seperate errors in the basic operations with in the game
- Cannot play turnless with computer AI (somewhat understandable, but still a problem as far as I'm concerned)
- Cannot play with even just 2 human players because the inface is soooo buggy that as soon as I queue to build a settler I lock up the game-everytime.

The whole idea of this expansion was so that we could finally have multiplayer abilities in Civilization III.
But guess what?
Only about 1 of 100 people can even use the Mulitplayer without the game dying a horrible death.

Firaxis needs to fix these problems ASAP if they want to have ANY future customers.
Old November 2, 2002, 01:38   #48
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Hey, hey. I swore that I wouldn't buy PTW but happened to be in the store so I wandered over and asked a salesperson where it was. He said, "Man, you don't wanna buy that!".
Old November 2, 2002, 04:46   #49
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 12:03
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Hey, hey. I swore that I wouldn't buy PTW but happened to be in the store so I wandered over and asked a salesperson where it was. He said, "Man, you don't wanna buy that!".

Old November 2, 2002, 07:04   #50
notyoueither
Deity

Good. You should wait until it is perfect. Less noise that way.
Old November 2, 2002, 10:01   #51
mok
Settler

another bug
bug Report:

I have found that around 3/4's of all the TURN-BASED games with NO CLOCK hang after the end of the last player's first turn.

When this happens, the "It's your turn" dialog usually does not show up.

Clock games seem to flush this out.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:16   #52
Daedalus106
Settler

2 Things:

1st: Whenever I try to play MP, not only does it not work, but when I give up, I have to walk down the hall and reset my router and DSL Modem (I'm on a home phone line network, never had problems like this before), as well as reseting my PC.

2nd: In SP, the pop-up for unit construction completion never shows. I've selected it through the Preferences menu, but no luck.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:16   #53
Jesp
Settler

Can't start at all after instaling patch
I installed the patch, but now I get the error message that some .dll file is missing. I reinstalled everything, but the same thing happened the second time

What is going on ehh?

I run win xp pro

J.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:39   #54
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

@Jesp:

Which dll is missing?
Old November 2, 2002, 15:44   #55
Jesp
Settler

missing dll
ifc23.dll mangler.

Har du den? Kan du ikke lige smide den efter mig på min mail hvis du har?

På forhånd tak

J.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:53   #56
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

@Jesp

You asked the wrong person, bro'

I will not send you the file. The problem is you're using the pirated version of the game. Even if I sent you the file, it would still be buggy as hell. So get rid of the warez version and wait for the game to be released here in the little ol'e kingdom.

If you find bugs when you have the legal version, I'd be happy to help you out.

@Daedalus106:

1st: Did you configure your router to open the necessary ports?

2nd: No Idea - could you post a savegame?
Old November 2, 2002, 15:58   #57
Jesp
Settler

Got the Original
Why would the developers place a pirate version of the game in the original box?

I just bought THE ORIGINAL this afternoon, so do not tell me that is the problem.

I am in Moscow at the moment, and the game was released here a few days ago.

so.. any suggestions what to do?

J.
Old November 2, 2002, 16:43   #58
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Pull another one!

The lead programmer of the game has confirmed that this file is missing from the Warez version.

If it's missing from your disc, you're either running the warez version or you need to contact the vendor cause then you have a defective disc (what a coincidence if it's the same file that got corrupt on your disc, huh? )

Also - IIRC the game is out in North America only - Is Moscow in North America?
Old November 2, 2002, 16:47   #59
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Nice try.
Old November 2, 2002, 16:54   #60
Daedalus106
Settler

I figured #2 out, apparently if you chose the build the same unit option, it won't open the construction pop-up. I don't recall that being the case in CivIII. As far as the router, how do I go about configuring it?