Old November 2, 2002, 17:01   #61
majundar
Settler

Local Time: 02:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Game won't launch
Okay- i've been at this for two days now.

Compaq
AMD 1.7Ghz
GeForce2
128 MBRam
Windows ME
1.04f installed

Same problem as a couple you have already posted: Upon launch one of two things will happen- I either get kicked out to the desktop, or the screen goes black after the movie (music still plays, and when i click around, I hear it responding, but the screen is black).

It worked without problems twice in 50 attempts over the past two days. Not the best track record, and VERY frustrating. I've made all the modifications recommended on the infogrames support page in regards to resolution, acceleration, and virus scan, to no avail.

Has anyone gotten around this problem? Is Inforgrames/Firaxis saying anything else about this? HELP!
Old November 2, 2002, 17:15   #62
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:03
Personally, I'm able to Host games quite well now, that is, my side never crashes (although many players never make it into the game). However, I've never ever been able to Join a game.

Also, launching a game through GameSpy never works. This is unfortunate, because the GameSpy chat and setup screens are far superior to those available in PTW.

Dominae
Old November 2, 2002, 18:27   #63
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:03
Re: Got the Original
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesp
I just bought THE ORIGINAL this afternoon, so do not tell me that is the problem.

I am in Moscow at the moment, and the game was released here a few days ago.
So the priated version is in stores in Moscow? Great!

That is very unfortunate for you Jesp, but what you have will never work right in all likelihood.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:38   #64
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 11:03
@Daedalus106:

I opened a thread about Routers, Firewalls and Proxies

Please check that out, especially the link to Gamespy Firewall Support. If that doesn't make you any wiser, please post your router type, manufacturer name and model number on that thread, and I'll try to figure it out.

Any one else with problems connecting is of course also allowed

@NYE:

Old November 2, 2002, 21:27   #65
budwizza
Settler

Local Time: 10:03
spinning disk
I had the spinning CD icon problem when starting the game also, I removed and reinstalled CIV3/PTW but used my DVD player for the install and running the game. So far I have not had any problems starting or playing the game.
Old November 3, 2002, 13:36   #66
XMon
Warlord

Local Time: 05:03
The editor crashes my computer every time I use it. Usually when I move from one tab to another. Sometimes when I click on a field.

950MHz Athlon Thunderbird, 256RAM, Windows 98.
Old November 3, 2002, 18:03   #67
digitalman
Settler

screen refresh
Hello all. First post of mine here, got a bug report, don't think it's been covered yet, but would like to see if anyone is experiencing the same as I...

I installed CivIII, followed by the 1.29f patch, followed by PTW, and finally the 1.04 patch. What happens is that once the game launches, the screen refreshed 4-6 times in a row, keeps steady for about 3 minutes, then refreshes again. This occurs regardless if I am in the game mode or main menu.
I have not experienced this phenomona in any other game title.

Monitor is a Dell P780 Trinitron, Radeon 9700 Pro vid card, AMD 2100+...

I tried reinstalling the game several times, sometimes without the 1.29 patch for the origonal CivIII (If someone could tell me if the 1.29f patch is required or not still when installing PTW that would be great...) but I still experience the same problems...it ends up coming down to the fact that every few seconds the screen will be turning off and on while I play. Other than that, I have noticed no display problems or artifacts.
Believing this to be a referesh issue of some sort, I installed Rage3D tweak to see if this would fix the issue. No such luck.
I am using the latest Catalyst 2.3 (7.76) drivers...
Has anyone else experienced any difficulties as such? I'm thinking this might be limited to the Radeon 9700 Pro since I was unable to find any topics on this subject so far. thanks for all your help...
Old November 3, 2002, 21:54   #68
Lionel
Settler

I haven't tried the MP yet, but in single player the Fkeys F1, F2 etc, you used too be able too just press them and it would take you too the next Fkey, but now I have too exit out each info screen and then press the next Fkey I want information on.

Example, I'm looking at demographics and I want too switch too the score screen I can't just press F8 from Demographics anymore, I have too X out then press F8, I don't know if that is a bug or not, but that's not the way it used too work on my original Civ3.

When Queing up build items, pressing Shift + clicking on the item you want in que, it would build times would change too show you how long it would take too produce the next item in que when it's build order begins, NOW it will sometimes just say 1 turn on everything, so your not sure what the build time is going too be till the current item is completed.

Those are the only 2 things in Single Player I have noticed, I think there was something else, but I can't remember it if it was anything at all.

I would like too know if the Fkey thing is just how they changed it or it's a bug.

Lionel
Old November 3, 2002, 22:25   #69
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

The Fkeys work just as they did before for me; I can switch between them when I want. I'm not sure, but the queue works fine for me, too, I think.
Old November 3, 2002, 22:37   #70
Dominae
Emperor

Another concern (probably not a full-fledged "bug"): when giving a unit a command to attack, you don't get to see the results of the battle; after attacking, the screen automatically re-centers on the next unit that can move. This occurs regardless of whether you have "animate..." options on or off in the preferences. I'm pretty sure this is just an MP thing.

Dominae
Old November 4, 2002, 03:06   #71
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I do not have any trouble with the keys.
Old November 4, 2002, 13:44   #72
Lionel
Settler

As far as the Fkeys goes, I haven't seen it happen again since I first 2 games. I didn't reboot or reinstall, after noticed the problems, and finished the game, I posted on the MB here, then looked at the editor, then started a new game, and the problem never manifested again. Least I can use the Fkeys like normal civ3, hopefully that stays that way.

Lionel
Old November 4, 2002, 14:30   #73
vmxa1
Deity

Glad to hear it.
Old November 4, 2002, 17:17   #74
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Getting black screens all over (got the 1.04 patch). If not, it'll crash the moment I start a MP game.
Old November 4, 2002, 22:46   #75
NeOmega
Prince

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=66597

see this thread about some dramatic results I found when I uninstalled Gamespy.
Old November 4, 2002, 22:46   #76
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Was able to replicate a crash I experienced yesterday. Whenever a barbarian 'sacks' a city, the game crashes. This has happened both in 'real' games and situations I set up via the Editor. Granted, if I allow the barbs to infultrate my city I deserve to be punished, but the game crashing seems a bit overdone.
Old November 4, 2002, 22:47   #77
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Aircraft vs. Aircraft Crash
I am here to report a Bug in PTW. Apperantly when a fighter or a Bomber attacks an area around where another AI fighter is in Air Superiority mode. The Game Crashes after the AI attacks the bombing aircraft, The result is PTW Crashing once the two aircraft have finished fighting. Fraxis, Can you quckly fix this problem, thanks.

BTW. I am using the patched 1.04 version of PTW.
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old November 4, 2002, 23:01   #78
Jrad
Settler

Bugs:

Air Superiority fighters crash most of the time. My F-15s shot bombers down for one turn, but after I started to take Persian cities, the Fighters started to crash the game after shooting down enemy bombers.

When you plant forrests in tundra are the hills supposed to look like glitched up piles of scrap metal?

If you click a unit in an army, it can move out of the army, or crash the game, one of the two...
Old November 5, 2002, 04:17   #79
BlackOut
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

MP Bugs
Ive noticed some new "features" so far in PTW at least in Multiplayer.

We were playing a simultaneous game everything random, 2 human and 5 AI on my LAN.

I have WIN2000 and running 1.04f, The other machine was WINXP 1.04f.

1. When you trade tech with AI, then propose another deal in the same time, the tech that you recieved from the AI is still available for trade, and the AI will still take a trade for it.

2. When Queing items you no longer can just hold SHIFT and queue up the items (beyond the 2nd item), you now have to hold SHIFT, select queue number (3, 4 etc) and then you can queue up the items.

3. NO ABILITY TO RAZE CAPTURED CITIES... I looked through the preferences to see if there was a setting (not one i saw), but now as soon as your units move, if you capture the city, no option to raze, you just take it over..

4. A little strange thing as well, when i was sitting in the MP setup room, had my setting for local (no internet), i could still see chat from the Gamespy chat room...???

Trying to play VIA the net (only joining, not hosting)

1. Game crashes with an error on the exe upon the game starting.

2. Game crashes with an error on the exe sitting in the chat room.

3. Game locked up when other players dropped prior to game starting.

4. I have not even been able to play online due to the crashes.

BUT so far MP was lots of fun. Unable to get it working over the Net but on my LAN it works fine...

Also i dont recall if these issues above are ONLY in MP or if they also affect SP play. I will have to check...

Last edited by BlackOut; November 5, 2002 at 04:42.
Old November 5, 2002, 10:09   #80
CJM
Settler

Re: the Celts & Warrior Upgrades
Last night while playing as the Celts, the discovery of iron working revealed to me an iron resporce right next to my capitol. It was even roaded already! Unfortunately, despite the presence of a barracks, I was unable to upgrade any of my warriors to Gallic Swordsmen. Note that the 'pedia says I should be able to. I haven't had the opportunity to test this again, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had this problem.

For reference sake, I'm running 1.04f on WinXP.

C--
Old November 5, 2002, 10:14   #81
Dominae
Emperor

Re: MP Bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackOut
1. When you trade tech with AI, then propose another deal in the same time, the tech that you recieved from the AI is still available for trade, and the AI will still take a trade for it.
I noticed this one too during a 2-person LAN game (3 bots); I traded Horseback Riding to the Americans, and after the trade was complete, I could still offer Horseback Riding to them. However, the game appeared to refresh just fine when I attempted to trade for it again...the Americans refused any trade the second time.

Dominae
Old November 5, 2002, 14:06   #82
vmxa1
Deity

Was it a conscript? Did it have movement points? Did you have the money?
Old November 5, 2002, 14:43   #83
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:03
Re: Re: the Celts & Warrior Upgrades
Quote:
Originally posted by CJM
... despite the presence of a barracks, I was unable to upgrade any of my warriors to Gallic Swordsmen. ...
C--
80 gold upgrade (each). Could that have been the problem?
Old November 5, 2002, 14:49   #84
CJM
Settler

re: Celts & Upgrades, pt. 2
Quote:
Was it a conscript? Did it have movement points? Did you have the money?
Quote:
80 gold upgrade (each). Could that have been the problem?
The conscript thing wasn't an issue, nor the movement points. I don't think that money was an issue, but I can't recall at the moment. Hopefully, this is just my bone-headedness and poor financial skills causing the problem, and not the game.

Thanks for the replies,

C--
Old November 5, 2002, 16:53   #85
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:03
PTW no longer starts up
I was soo happy that I wasn't having any of the troubles others were having,
then ... :just plain bummed:

I played PTW (single player only) for a few days, but now I can't get it beyond the "spinning CD." It just goes back to the desktop. Civ3 1.29 still works fine.

I tried:
uninstalling PTW, deleting its folder and
reinstalling PTW and 1.04;

uninstalling PTW and Civ3, deleting their folders and
reinstalling Civ3 (both with and w/o 1.29 update), PTW and 1.04;

and finally: uninstalling PTW and Civ3, deleting their folders and
reinstalling Civ3, PTW without 1.04.

One thing that puzzles me is that, at least with PTW, it gave the REinstall option after I had totally removed it (or so I thought), not the INSTALL option.

Perhaps tomorrow (Edit: delayed until Friday) I will restore the HD to its original and reinstall everything from scratch. I have had the computer for a year.

Any other Suggestions?? Please????
(Remember, I'm basically a Mac guy. I have little experience with Windoze (XP home) maintenance)

[Edit: cosmetic changes only]

Last edited by Jaybe; November 6, 2002 at 18:24.
Old November 5, 2002, 18:14   #86
Master2000
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus106
I figured #2 out, apparently if you chose the build the same unit option, it won't open the construction pop-up. I don't recall that being the case in CivIII.
I have the same problem, not getting any popups and it's not building the previous unit (both are checked!). Have not tried unchecking one of them to see if any works.

I remember that this was fixed with one of the patches for civ3. The bug is alive... again

I just want to add that I have played with success both on internet and LAN. To play on LAN I had to install Gamespy, which seems abit strange, but I don't care as long as it works! It really rocks!
Old November 5, 2002, 18:25   #87
MC Hawking
Settler

SINGLE PLAYER CRASH?

I have a 1.7 GHz 512 MB RAM machine with the 1.04 and 1.29 patches. And I've had the game crash 4 or 5 times while attempting to move units in stacks. Has anyone else encountered any problems or am I just lucky? My system is fairly stable and programs normaly crash very rarely.

EDIT: corrected RAM

Last edited by MC Hawking; November 7, 2002 at 15:52.
Old November 5, 2002, 21:07   #88
jkelly
Chieftain

Screen flicker
With 1.01f (no GameSpy install) I'm getting a weird refresh "screen flickering" effect right from the opening that makes the game so unpleasant to look at that it's unplayable.
Old November 6, 2002, 20:56   #89
NeOmega
Prince

reinstall 1.04f, and un-install just gamespy. It will still say powered by gamespy, it's just you won't have the conflicting lobbies problem.
Old November 7, 2002, 03:02   #90
jkelly
Chieftain

Refresh problem
Digitalman,

Were you running anything else? Killing all other apps fixed the problem for me.