Old November 7, 2002, 04:21   #91
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MC Hawking in response to your question, I have not had this so far. I have PTW, but I have 512 MB on AMD. I had seen a lock up in Civ3 + 129f at times when I go to move a unit and run the mouse pointer with the move cursor around the map looking for where I want to go. It has locked the game on me a number of times. So far not in PTW.
Old November 7, 2002, 07:12   #92
Grundel
Warlord

Local Time: 05:03
Any solution to this problem and I will be happy.

The game crashes anytime anyone in sp PTW tries to build a battleship. the followin error occurs...

...art\units\battleship\battlewagondefault.flc

file not found...game will exit.

I was playing the spanish. i have an amd 850 with 256 mb of memory. i have not had any problems with the normal civ 3. i am using version 1.04f and have not installed or used any mod...using strictly the default settings. Just so you know, when I go into the above stated directory, the file is there.

any help would be great.
Old November 7, 2002, 08:08   #93
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Dont write it in stone but it sounds like your game is trying to use a mod somehow since there is no "battlewagon" in civ3. Thats a mod.

If you didnt install a mod or edit the game, someone else did and they didnt do it properly.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 7, 2002, 15:03   #94
be0wulfe
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:03
Unknown Crash
http://www.disorganized-mayhem.com/Lincoln of the Americans, 1370 AD.SAV

Run the turn, game crashes part-way through the turn resolution. Prior to the 1.04f patch it would just hang.

This is the turn prior:

http://www.disorganized-mayhem.com/Lincoln of the Americans, 1365 AD.SAV

Does the game crash for anyone else ... ?
Old November 8, 2002, 19:25   #95
Raion
Prince

In Play the World 1.04f version, I get one of the Normal Buttons in the Science Tech screen in the Masonry tech. It does not work, and its some button I am not familiar with. It has like two arrows pointing out (triangles) from center with a pitch-fork type shovel head below of center. I am using European Terrain and I have no reason why it is there.

I looked through the files, just to find it, and its in the normal buttons pcx file. Just got the CD and installed the patch right after installing the CD - Play the World.
I have no idea why it is there, but I may start another game and see if it is there again, which I think it will be.
Why, I do not know??
Old November 8, 2002, 19:34   #96
Raion
Prince

Sorry, just looked it up about previous post above.

Its the Build Outpost button that is in the masonary tech of the Science Advisor Screen and its still there.

Just started new game with European Terrain, and the button shows up on the Science Advisor screen in the tech - masonary, and it does nothing, but it should not be there.
Old November 8, 2002, 19:50   #97
Raion
Prince

That "Build Output" button is still there, with a new game, and just the Play the World version without the 1.04f version patch installed.

I uninstalled the patch just to see if it was the patch, but it is not. The button is still there in the Science Advisor (Sid's) screen in the same place, in the masonary tech.
Unless it is there to show that an outpost can be built after researching the tech masonary. But, that's also in the manual.

???????
Maybe its nothing, but how can I tell?
Old November 8, 2002, 21:35   #98
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 12:03
A VERY IMPORTANT thing to adress.
(and plus easy to fix)

Bezerk and Hwatcha are NOT INCLUDED in upgrade chains.

Although Bezerk upgrades to Guerrila and Hwatcha to Artillery, but Archers DOES NOT upgarde to Bezerk and Catapult DOES NOT upgarde to Hwatcha.

This can be fixed with simple MODing, but I think it NEEDS to be fixed in original BIX too.
Old November 8, 2002, 21:48   #99
vmxa1
Deity

Raion are you talking about the depiction of the radar tower in the science box for masonary? The worker has the button for creating the towers, but some conditions are required to allow it. It came in in PTW. It is just in the advisor box to let you know it becomes available with Masonary.
Old November 8, 2002, 23:38   #100
danwhit
Settler

Did anyone find out how to fix the curse of the spinning disc. Is there anything that can be done. I have read countless messages from people complaining but no solutions. I think some said that it would occasionally work but mostly spinning disc. Well, mine has never successfully worked.

I heard a rumor that it might me certain cd-roms can't install copy protection. Is this whats up?
Old November 9, 2002, 00:38   #101
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 04:03
1.04f - Game crashed right at startup (after selecting preferences) while the bar was running across the blank screen "setting up AI player X".

That is BS, total vucking BS.
Old November 9, 2002, 14:58   #102
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:03
1.04f - Single Player Game

I had just set up a quick scenario via the editor to determine whether or not the Hwach'a enjoyed lethal bombard even though the flag isn't checked in the editor (like the crusie missle's lethal bombard). To test, I set the human player as the Koreans. After running the test (no lethal bombard), I ended the scenario and started a new game (not using quickstart). The quick test scenario made no changes in the civ3mod.bic (or the PTW equivalent, whatever it may be called).

I manually set the game parameters (I usually use "random") because I wanted an 8-player game with all the new PTW civs. I choose the Scandanavians for my civ.

The game loaded fine (I didn't get a "rules have been changed" nor would I expect to) and has played without problem through the fist 3000 years or so.

Only quirk is that the Scandanavian royal family seems to have been involved in some extramarital dalliances - the Scandavians, being an open-minded people, nontheless welcomed the royal b*stard child and even went so far as to elevate him to the throne. Meet King Wang Kon of the Scandanavians.

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	king wang kon of scandanavia.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	28910  
Old November 9, 2002, 15:45   #103
vmxa1
Deity

Well at least he is human, though it is hard to tell from the picture.
Old November 9, 2002, 22:47   #104
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Has anybody noted that "build previously built units" or something to that equivalent NEVER works? I think it's a bug, It never sticks to the unit I intend to and its been annoying. Im just wondering if anyone has same problem.

Oh and one more thing, not really a bug but Im using a P4 1.7Ghz laptop to play civ3/PTW during my lunch break. and its really annoying that the keyboard movement is only done by the numkeypad... which most laptops dont have and to get a numkeypad you'll have to buy an external device which is like 49.99.... It used to be the case that you can use up/down/left/right arrow to move ur units in its respective directions, but now it just moves the map around..Only movement i can do on keyboard are the diagonal movements... Anyone know how to fix/change this feature? using a touchpad really sux.

Last edited by Zero; November 9, 2002 at 22:55.
Old November 10, 2002, 20:10   #105
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 12:03
Here is the bug:

Keshik has for no reason EXPLORE AI selected together with offense AI.

Personnaly I think that Conquistadir is supposed to have both these stratgeies (and he has just Offesne), not Keshik.

I assume that since they are listed one between another, that it was an ERROR.
Old November 11, 2002, 17:20   #106
GusSmed
Chieftain

Gallic Swordsmen
I'm playing a game as the Celts, and haven't gotten my golden age yet, so I'm building Gallic Swordsmen. It's the early middle ages.

I got Feudalism as a settlement when negotiating peace, and all my cities that were producing Gallic Swordsmen started building Medieval Infantry, which I don't want. This is understandable, since Medieval Infantry are the upgrade from regular Swordsmen.

However, after fixing my city production, a few turns later the Great Library gives me Theology, and all my cities shift from Gallic Swordsmen to Medieval Infantry again, only this time several get built. Which is very annoying, because I lost some shields in some cases, and I now have 3-4 Medieval Infantry I don't want, and I have to start over on the Swordsmen.

Clearly the game checks for obsolete units any time you get a technology. It should not shift away from a Unique Unit if it's still legal to build the Unique Unit, even if the base unit is obsolete.

It's questionable whether the Gallic Swordsmen should be rendered obsolete by Medieval Infantry anyway. Sure, they have 1 less attack, but the extra movement point is far more significant.

- Gus
Old November 12, 2002, 11:08   #107
SpencerH
Emperor

I dont know if it was a bug but....

I took a spanish city by culture. The spanish worker started to move back toward his territory but after 2 or 3 moves it suddenly died. I dont know what happened ?

Last edited by SpencerH; November 12, 2002 at 18:31.
Old November 12, 2002, 11:38   #108
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
PTW 1.04 problems
After playing 2 PTW games, here are the problems I find with PTW that were not there with civ3 1.29:

1. 3x as slow in late industrial/modern ages

2. Units not released. When movement is exhausted, white selector circle still around unit and doesn't respond to commands.

3. Bombers in stack. No movement update after send on mission. Can't tell which ones have moved and which have not.

4. Bombers don't release after bombing mission. Buttons go away and have to activate another unit in order to get game play back.

5. F4/Diplomacy screen. Sometimes reports on wrong civ. For example click on Babylon and reports on China.

That's all I can remember so far.

-- PF
Old November 12, 2002, 14:41   #109
Daedraug
Settler

Crash Civilization3X.exe : a solution
I have a solution for the Civilization3X.exe crash.

I made a newThread to explain it.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:06   #110
Raion
Prince

The sound does not default to the user's setting until Preferences is accessed again. Then the sound will be the volume that the player wanted, otherwise it ususally is louder, in my case, with starting to play a game or saved game in single player.

Those little icons in the Tech Screen Advisor seem to be put there, to remind the player of new actions that can be handled after the tech advance, so there is more than one of them, as I looked through all of the tech eras.
Old November 12, 2002, 19:39   #111
dpkm
Settler

Small annoying bug
Not a big deal compared to the multiplayer bugs, but I noticed this one last night while playing an Elimination game on single player. If you remove all the other victory conditions and only leave elimination, the game will not end after eliminating all the other civs. The only way to end the game is to retire, thus "losing" the game.
Old November 12, 2002, 21:54   #112
GusSmed
Chieftain

weird happiness bug
The attached saved game shows a late Ancient Carthigian game, at Emperor level, where my cities are entirely too happy.

I have no happiness wonders, 2 luxuries, and temples, and the luxury slider set at zero, yet all my cities are happy. Quite happy, indeed. A 10 city has 5 happy faces in it and 5 unhappy ones. A size 8 city has 5 happy faces and 3 unhappy ones. My size 6 cities have 4 happy citizens and 2 unhappy ones.

My size 10 city should be:

start: 0 happy + 1 content + 9 unhappy
temple: 0 happy + 2 content + 8 unhappy
2 warriors: 0 happy + 4 content + 6 unhappy
2 luxuries: 2 happy + 2 content + 6 unhappy

In general, my cities behave as if I have the luxury slider turned fairly high, perhaps 30%.

- Gus
Attached Files:
File Type: sav happyness_bug.sav (110.3 KB, 1 views)
Old November 12, 2002, 23:35   #113
vmxa1
Deity

Won't 2 lux make 2 content happy? Two happy each make one content happy, so tha is 4 happy faces. I never really checked it that close.
Old November 13, 2002, 10:10   #114
SpencerH
Emperor

Heres a summary of the bugs and crashes I've experienced so far that have occured during my setup and first game (still ongoing).

incomplete installation of gamespy and the desktop icon for CIV3X
game repeatedly fails to boot 2-3
complete game crash with access of AI civ from diplomacy screen (maybe sound related)
game hang (required reboot) with accidental click on unit while 'waiting'.
Strange death of AI unit in my territory (see above)

I'm posting a link to my closed thread where I was trying to document all the crashes and bugs (and the good stuff) as they occurred. Warning, since it contains my opinions it may be unpleasant for some to read.
spencers closed thread
Old November 13, 2002, 10:30   #115
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 11:03
Spencer, not to detract anything from your amusing little rants on the closed thread, but don't you think it's odd that Infogrames released a game that only has these specific installation problems on your machine

Either you messed up, or your OS did - there is only one way to find out - reinstall Civ 3 and PtW - my post here shows how.

If the exact same error (with the mix-up between Gamespy and PtW ) occurs after following that, it's time you took a closer look at your OS, and maybe fed it that fabled 'Format C:' command
Old November 13, 2002, 11:21   #116
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by isak
Spencer, not to detract anything from your amusing little rants on the closed thread, but don't you think it's odd that Infogrames released a game that only has these specific installation problems on your machine
Perhaps you think CIV3 and PtW is error free? Take a look at the threads. Many people had lots of problems installing and starting CIV3 (while I previously had none) and now I've seen similar threads with PtW. In some cases those install problems with CIV3 were related to the disk-protection, and thats what I think is at fault here too.

Quote:
Either you messed up, or your OS did - there is only one way to find out - reinstall Civ 3 and PtW - my post here shows how.
If the exact same error (with the mix-up between Gamespy and PtW ) occurs after following that, it's time you took a closer look at your OS, and maybe fed it that fabled 'Format C:' command [/QUOTE]
IsaK

Thanks for those clever words of advice, but I'm quite capable of installing (and reinstalling when necessary) programs on my PC. I built it, and I fix it when necessary.

How was it that I 'messed up' with the installation? Add CD to CD-R, click install, click yes, click yes, click yes, ...... Gee, that was difficult.

Its certainly possible that the OS had a momentary glitch during installation. It must be coincidence that it happened with installation from this disk, but that the patch installation was fine.

PS. That thread was not a rant, not even close.
Old November 13, 2002, 12:10   #117
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 11:03
[QUOTE] Originally posted by SpencerH

Quote:
Perhaps you think CIV3 and PtW is error free? Take a look at the threads. Many people had lots of problems installing and starting CIV3 (while I previously had none) and now I've seen similar threads with PtW.
I was talking about the specific bug that PtW had not installed correctly, as seen by the fact that the shortcut for PtW had the Gamespy program location parameter.
The fact that similar threads are here on the forum, really doesn't prove a whole lot to me - other people mess up too, other people's OS'es mess up a heck of a lot more as well. I've been building PC's for 10 years and I still mess up.

Quote:
In some cases those install problems with CIV3 were related to the disk-protection, and thats what I think is at fault here too.
I hate the old copy protection scheme as much as the next man (but I'm having no problems with the new -which is just due to the fortunate fact that my drive seems to be compatible with it), but logically, there is nothing in that copy protection that would make Gamespy Arcade start when you click the PtW Icon - the only thing that can do that is a messed up registry, and any software you install can potentially mess up the registry, as it isn't actually the software but MS Windows that does this.

Quote:
Thanks for those clever words of advice, but I'm quite capable of installing (and reinstalling when necessary) programs on my PC. I built it, and I fix it when necessary.
Great - I hope you're suscribing to this thread to help out others that are having problems.
The obvious question, seeing that you are quite capable of using your computer, would be: "Well did you actually try reinstalling the game????" Well, didja, punk?

Quote:
PS. That thread was not a rant, not even close.
I think the jury is still voting on that
Old November 13, 2002, 13:28   #118
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by isak

I was talking about the specific bug that PtW had not installed correctly, as seen by the fact that the shortcut for PtW had the Gamespy program location parameter.

I hate the old copy protection scheme as much as the next man (but I'm having no problems with the new -which is just due to the fortunate fact that my drive seems to be compatible with it), but logically, there is nothing in that copy protection that would make Gamespy Arcade start when you click the PtW Icon - the only thing that can do that is a messed up registry, and any software you install can potentially mess up the registry, as it isn't actually the software but MS Windows that does this.
It doesnt go to gamespy while using a PtW shorcut. There is only a gamespy icon in the PtW folder start/program 'thingy' (I love those technical terms) and no CIV3X (which is surprising). If I click that gamespy icon, it works correctly and I go to gamespy where it tells me I need to install gamespy arcade (which should have installed automatically I thought). I havent had time to look in the registry yet for problems. I know that a lot of people had to completely remove old patches prior to the installation of the new patches while I didnt. So this new problem suggests that my system is responding differently to PtW compared to CIV3.

I didnt have any problems with the CIV3 copy protection, but given the intermittant requirement for two or three attempts to start I think the PtW copy protection may be somehow different from CIV3 or less compatible with my CD-R (an alternative explanation is that I may have used a CD player for CIV3 (if any ). Whatever the root cause, the copy protection on PtW is a small problem for my system config.

So what I think may have happened was that the copy protection interfered with the end of the install sequence.

Quote:
Great - I hope you're suscribing to this thread to help out others that are having problems.
Thats why I started that thread.

Quote:
The obvious question, seeing that you are quite capable of using your computer, would be: "Well did you actually try reinstalling the game????" Well, didja, punk?
NO, but I may be forced to later if the game continues to be unstable. I just worked around the small problems that came up . Actually not installing gamespy may have been good since all I use is the ingame browser so I havent run into those MP incompatibility problems )
Old November 14, 2002, 13:17   #119
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Re: Gallic Swordsmen
Quote:
Originally posted by GusSmed
I'm playing a game as the Celts, and haven't gotten my golden age yet, so I'm building Gallic Swordsmen. It's the early middle ages.

I got Feudalism as a settlement when negotiating peace, and all my cities that were producing Gallic Swordsmen started building Medieval Infantry, which I don't want. This is understandable, since Medieval Infantry are the upgrade from regular Swordsmen.

However, after fixing my city production, a few turns later the Great Library gives me Theology, and all my cities shift from Gallic Swordsmen to Medieval Infantry again, only this time several get built. Which is very annoying, because I lost some shields in some cases, and I now have 3-4 Medieval Infantry I don't want, and I have to start over on the Swordsmen.

Clearly the game checks for obsolete units any time you get a technology. It should not shift away from a Unique Unit if it's still legal to build the Unique Unit, even if the base unit is obsolete.

It's questionable whether the Gallic Swordsmen should be rendered obsolete by Medieval Infantry anyway. Sure, they have 1 less attack, but the extra movement point is far more significant.

- Gus
Maybe if they make gallic base medieval infantry and shield the same and -1 att. and +1 move...... hmmmmmm
Old November 14, 2002, 21:11   #120
arkane
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
Check this out. If I reload the game, and hold down shift while my units are auto-moving, the game does not freeze. If I reload and let them move normally it freezes again.

WIERD.
thank u. this is exactly what happens to mine.