Old October 30, 2002, 15:38   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dedicated PTW Players: Discussion
i'm thinking about rigging up a database in PHP/MYSQL for our dedicated players.

I'm thinking about making it so people have to be APPROVED before they can join (ie myself or someone allows them to join). I was pondering the idea of making it an "open ladder" type thing, but the purpose of this was to get away from cheap tactics / clans, etc, so some sort of "approval" system to only allow selected people in would be essential.

tell me what you think of that.

also, i'm thinking what needs to go in to a user database, so far i have this:

username
password
aim name
yahoo id
msn name
icq #
rating (i'm not sure if this should be a rating given by other players, or something like a ladder rank, wins/loss, etc)
preferred civ
preferred difficulty.

what else would you like to see?
Old October 30, 2002, 15:57   #2
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:04
preffered strategy (you name it yourself, like builder, warmonger, tech slut, wonder whore...)
Diplomatic status (rogue state, pro-International communtiy, neutral)

and a status that other players playing with you can give, like did they think you were more warmonger when you think you try to be builder...
Old October 30, 2002, 16:07   #3
KingSponge
Chieftain

I would stay away from any sort of simple "rating" scheme where numbers are involved, like "Joe (3.5/10). Too easily abused and too easily misread.

Instead, I think a list of "Feedback" (eg Ebay's feedback system) from other players would serve as a better gauge where people actually type out a brief blurb about their experience(s) with the person.

This way you get to read what people think and you should be able to weed out the responses from idiots who are just being spiteful, etc.. You can't really do that with a "number" rating system....

Just my opinion.

BTW, I think it's a great idea. Good luck.
Old October 30, 2002, 16:14   #4
werdhertz
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:04
I think feedback would be better too! Also, i think maybe something so they could report if you quit a game, or whatnot, so you wouldnt get stacked up against people that quit in the middle of a game..
Old October 30, 2002, 16:20   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:04
Personal comment, favored game type (simultaneous, turnless, etc.), wins VS losses.

I think having strategy would kind of suck some of the fun out of it. Saying "such and such is a warmonger" or "such and such is a builder" kind of gives an idea to someone what to expect (or will trick people when someone gives a misleading description). Either way, it's a bad idea IMO.
Old October 30, 2002, 16:30   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

see, when i was thinking about wins vs losses, that makes it more of a "ladder" and less of a group. ladders also are usually 1 on 1, or smaller games.

i'm looking to create this so i could make some games with good people last until the later stages of the game. you know, see a cannon or two :lo:
Old October 30, 2002, 16:51   #7
KingSponge
Chieftain

Ahh, so you mean more like a Gentlemen's (or lady's) Club where people play the game more casually, ie no rushing, type thing to experience the WHOLE game and not just the first 20 turns... Cool.
Old October 30, 2002, 16:57   #8
Slax
Prince

I think the most important thing to know is a person's commitment to the game, ie, have they ever quit or acted improperly somehow?
Old October 30, 2002, 18:14   #9
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:04
Re: Dedicated PTW Players: Discussion
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
I'm thinking about making it so people have to be APPROVED before they can join (ie myself or someone allows them to join).
I don't see how you could actually approve someone... maybe I'm wrong though. What criteria (other than a hunch) are you gonna have that you could go by?

If you set up a system that allowed to people to make comments, what is to stop some sore loser from posting remarks that would damage someones reputation? I would hope we were all Civilized ( pun intended ) but there are gonna be hurt feelings because games won't start on equal footing locationwise or, nice as someone was, they wouldn't trade you a vital tech /resource /whatever that you don't have, etc, etc.

I think a general rating system would be necessary to prevent people from getting in over their heads with more experienced players. What incentive would you have to stay in a no-win situation? I can already see myself typing in "Please kill me! I only have one city left and you have 101! And don't give me that line about how war weary your people are. Why do you torture me?!!"
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 30, 2002, 18:49   #10
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

I very much like this idea. Especially the part where you get to know whether people are likely to play to the end (if not in clear lost position of course). I am not afraid about sore loosers because we will know very fast who these people are that provide false information.

A kind of rating system would be nice. Something like "played 5 games, won 4" would be sufficient to start with. After a while we will know who are the good players by hearsay. Rumours go around quickly enough.
Old October 30, 2002, 18:50   #11
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 12:04
uber, a friendly suggestion: dont start coding just yet
Old October 30, 2002, 19:09   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
uber, a friendly suggestion: dont start coding just yet

noted friend
Old October 30, 2002, 21:15   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:04
Battlezone already does something very similiar to this and is availible for free. Just FYI...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:17   #14
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

who mentioned money?
Old October 30, 2002, 22:00   #15
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Not money, just... mugs...
Old October 30, 2002, 22:04   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

what, FREE MUGS?
Old October 30, 2002, 22:36   #17
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

This siunds like a good idea to me.
Old October 31, 2002, 12:44   #18
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

During the Civ2MP period I thought about such a database system (of course not in PHP but in Lotus Domino)

Things that are needed to make it work:
info per user:

- avg approval rate given to others. (if this is low, this person can't be token seriously. If someone has a rate below, say 6, more approvals below 6 are not accepted.)

- game-log per session, who attended, who showed up all the time, who did not show up x times.

as Markos said, I wonder if such a sytem will widely be used. You can use it of course for a limited group of people who prefer long diplo games, and want to know who's trustable.

You can use the system as well to organize games, ie. by letting people fill out the time-ranges they are available.

If you want to do it in Lotus Domino, I can be a big help.

CyberShy
Old October 31, 2002, 14:31   #19
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Franses

A kind of rating system would be nice. Something like "played 5 games, won 4" would be sufficient to start with. After a while we will know who are the good players by hearsay. Rumours go around quickly enough.
You know the rating system used worldwide by the chess players; every players signing up in his local club receives a capital of 1100 points; each game played in competition results in the winner earning some points which are lost by his opponent. The world ranking is done this way; the top players are around of 2700 pts.

Rating the behaviour is a totaly different thing. If early quitting is the worst thing that can be made, would not it be enough just to count them? Mr So and So has commited early quit in 47 instances out of 52 games started. Mr Bob has commited early quit in 2 instances out of 77 games started.

The problem is that early quits have to be declared by the victim(s), recorded independantly with the possibility to be contradicted by the culprit.
Old October 31, 2002, 16:38   #20
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 10:04
well, maybe I'm just too naive in those things, but the easiest would be a battle.net like account: games, wins, losses, disconnects et voilà. There is also a ladder system with chess-like ratings for those who want to compete.
Old November 9, 2002, 05:20   #21
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 02:04
I am more for the e-bay system..... that way nasty thingsa could be said like "he quit after he realized I was going to recapture my 5 catapults!"

or nice things like "he finally conceded defeat after I had captured 5 cities in four turns"

or even nicer things like.... "don't play this dude unless you really know how to play"