2. Im running 1.04f, on Win2K
3. Works Fine Single Player

I'm having th same problems w/ win2k with 1.04f
Old November 1, 2002, 13:21   #33
lewisr2
Settler

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just to add some more info. Me with v1.04f and XP tried to join 8 games last night (between 10-11 pm est) 6 crashed prior to starting and two started. Those two games lasted about about 5-10 minutes before losing everybody.
Old November 1, 2002, 14:41   #34
Edgar Newt
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMBtS Tri-League
Chieftain

What's the problem with Windows ME?
I checked before posting, but only caught references to problems with ME, not the actual problem.

Thanks.
Old November 1, 2002, 14:49   #35
phelonius
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Settler

best multiplay option
I think the best multiplayer option is to invite all of you guys over to my house and play a hotseat version.

Don't laugh, this is more than we got with the initial release. I've got a small area network here. The computers are three feet away. And I've still got lag. Sheeesh.
Old November 1, 2002, 14:52   #36
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 05:04
I was able to host a 2 player simul game on tiny map with not much lag (both me and opp have dsl). The game even made in until late middle ages in 2.5 hours. At that point I had to leave...didnt expect the game to go that long w/o crashing ended.
Old November 1, 2002, 15:20   #37
Hurin
Chieftain

I don't know if this is a universal problem, but my brother and I kept crashing when we were using the Gamespy client externally to arrange the game. When we used. His machine would give a "can't read memory" error as it made the transition between Gamespy and PTW.

Once we started using the in-game browser (which sadly doesn't allow much fine-tuning of who gets into your game), things worked.

Still a lag-fest though.

Hurin
Old November 1, 2002, 16:04   #38
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

PTW and Windows ME (and Win2k) do work together, contrary to what has been reported.

Last edited by Acemo; November 1, 2002 at 16:17.
Old November 1, 2002, 16:19   #39
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Always try to join a game before trying to host one.
Always join a game with a host who has had success previously.
If you can't host internet games see if you can host a local MP game, even if it is just you vs. AI.
Old November 1, 2002, 18:13   #40
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

To the WIndows ME users, I'm not really sure what the problem is with Windows ME, I have just heard from certain testers that it is for some reason problematiic. I can neither confirm nor deny this claims personally.
Old November 1, 2002, 19:20   #41
ggerrietts
Settler

I'd like to correct myself.

I was thinking through the issues last night, and it does not seem likely that the game is using external IP addresses to manage in-game traffic. If it was, nobody who was behind NAT could play with someone on the other side of the NAT.

That's a worst-case scenario, and used to be a problem with (for instance) Lokisoft's networking code. The way that worked, the server would accept incoming connections, and record the IP number the connection apparently came from. Every update would be sent to every connection, but the updates would be marked with the IP number of the client they were intended for. If your real and apparent IP numbers were different, your client would look at each update, never see its real IP number in the header, and consequently never update. After some 30 seconds of not receiving a response from the server, it would crap out.

But that can't be the case with PTW. We've heard success stories, where a single person behind NAT can actually play a game. The problem comes in when several people are trying to play behind the same NAT.

Is anyone familiar enough with the characteristics of the DirectX networking code to know if the limitations and performance problems are consistent with that package? It seems to be similar to the problems reported with older versions....
Old November 2, 2002, 07:12   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:04
The same NAT? You mean on the same LAN, all trying to MP Inet?

Yes, that is going to crash from what I know.
Old November 5, 2002, 15:04   #43
canadianbacon
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 02:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Does it seem to be a problem with the server or with the software itself?
Server? The hosting player is the server. All gamespy does it host a chat service (for this game). Game Play is done between the players and hosting player, NOT THROUGH GAMESPY.

This is standard directplay functionality. Gamespy and zone.com host a chat room,the chat client launches the Game passing in the IP address of the hosting player, the joining players automagically connect to the hosting player.

This is not some massive-multiplayer world like Ultima.

It also brings into mind this notion of 'direct ip' connection. It is really no different than using the chat clients to connect, your just making an ip connection mannually. So the notion of the game drastically improving because of direct ip, seems to me to be a false hope.

Once Firaxis fixes up all the player-to-player code, all the online play should be more stable, via gamespy or direct ip.

What the in-game chat lacks is things like a player list, privacy options etc.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:06   #44
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by canadianbacon

Server? The hosting player is the server. All gamespy does it host a chat service (for this game). Game Play is done between the players and hosting player, NOT THROUGH GAMESPY.

Gamespy also connects the players to eachother before the game starts, and their seems to be some kind of communication breakdown between gamespy lobby and the Civ II MP lobby.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1
Old November 11, 2002, 07:38   #45
WRW
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I used to play games at gamespy and could keep up to six players on consistently with pings twice as high as 200 so Firaxis should be able to improve this.
Me too. With Medal of Honor I have play sometimes with 15 or 20 players and with more than 200 ping...
Old November 26, 2002, 22:36   #46
redhanz
Settler

FYI
Hey guys,

I play with my brother in the same city, both on cable modems, DDR ram windows ME and whatnot. We played turn based with max number of civs on the largest map. It was fast but as time progressed it slowed down, near the industrial age. Now its sooooo slow, I want to kill myself. I think that the AIs take to long and slow it down.

jer

also, does anyone know how to turn of worker/unit animations?
Old November 26, 2002, 23:26   #47
redhanz
Settler

FYI
Hey guys,

I play with my brother in the same city, both on cable modems, DDR ram windows ME and whatnot. We played turn based with max number of civs on the largest map. It was fast but as time progressed it slowed down, near the industrial age. Now its sooooo slow, I want to kill myself. I think that the AIs take to long and slow it down.

jer

also, does anyone know how to turn of worker/unit animations?
Old November 29, 2002, 12:38   #48
delmar
Prince

Role of the host
I've read in multiple places how important it was to find a "good" machine for hosting and such. After some interesting experience in a Direct IP game, I asked a direct question and got the following answer from a Firaxian:
Quote:
PTW (as well as most other strategy games) uses a peer-to-peer network architecture, so each machine talks to every other machine. The host is only responsible for initially sending new players the addresses of all the other players. Once each client has a client address list, the host becomes no more important than any of the other clients.

This means the game will only run as fast as the slowest person in the game. Therefore, playing with one person who's lagging badly will slow down everyone else.
For more details see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=37707

Did you know that in GalCiv, the AI makes you think you are playing against humans? Stop laughing, they mean it!!!
Old December 10, 2002, 08:12   #49
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
Also: the host player should have the most powerful computer (of the people playing), the host player suffers most slowdown and having a computer with alot of RAM can really help rectify this.
Does the host computer also need the best internet connection, or is it just a matter of RAM ?
Old January 30, 2003, 14:13   #50
piratebrun
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
So whats the problem with WIN ME?
What ISN'T the problem with WIN ME?
Old February 15, 2003, 18:12   #51
knighterrant
Chieftain

I am reading here that some people are experiencing the same thing I am.

My friend and I have tried to play multiplayer games. We are on a LAN. What happens is either of us can host but when the other joins, it just seems to freeze up and eventually crash.

So we tried doing an internet game. What happens there is we can go to the pre setup lobby, all click ready and on the setup, the joiner gets tossed out with a message about not being able to connect to the host.

Single player works great on both computers.
Multiplayer I can't commenton since I've never gotten it to work.
Old February 19, 2003, 08:19   #52
joeyfeets
Settler

u can play behined a university firewall....
just open up the ports that gamespy specifies in its FAQ. although you may have problems hosting games, you can definately join any game you want.

and u can play with a bootleg version of the game. I downloaded the game of kazaa, then used an ISO buster to translate it to cd form. if the other players do this wrong then they shouldnt even be able to get to the MP staging screen. if they are there, warez copy doesnt matter, just depends on what patch they have installed. (some warez dont come with 1.14 patch...)

outro
Old March 30, 2003, 11:06   #53
Whoseyourbishop
Settler

multiplayer hotseat
I was just wondering if there is any way to play hotseat with more than just 8 players. Please help!!!
Old April 14, 2003, 08:03   #54
Foro
Settler

Maybe someone can help...

Having a LAN at home with two computers both having XP.
They work perfectly in other MP games.

Whenever i try to open a game it automatically tries to connect to the internet and the only help is to disable the function in the network settings.

First time i did this i worked well and i (at least i think) experienced a game without much lag when moving units. (via internet most of the times i try to move a unit it needs about 2-3 sec bevore the comp actually moves the unit)
But yesterday the game crashed everytime after about a minute of playing when i tried it without internet connection.
(everytime the host computer who is also the one connecting to the internet)
With internetconnection i could play normally allthough with the above mentioned lag.
Both computers are connected to the internet via LAN when the main computer is connected.

main comp:
XP
1024 DDR ram
1.7 GH

sec comp:
XP
384 ram
700 p 3

Question is:

Does anyone know a possible reason for this?

Any info if Firaxis will fix the lag prob ? *g*

right now its still playable with two human players but we had a max of about 20 units to move while playing i doubt it will be enjoyable once we start a big war.
Old September 1, 2003, 08:19   #55
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 19:04
I appreciate the input of these posts
Old December 11, 2003, 20:24   #56
Cyber-Spyder
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Warlord

Local Time: 20:04
the NAT issue...
the game most certainly DOES use external IP's to manage in game traffic. So it is not enough for you to just open a port, you need to also forward that port to your client computer. The major problem seems to be that for direct play connections it binds to port 2302 - ONLY. You have no ability to change this port, and no alternate port list exists. So you can forward this port to one machine, but not more than one.

I thought about sending it to broadcast, but then there is no distinguishing information for the client to decide which one it's meant to have. I might be wrong here, some intelligent coding could provide such information, but I haven't seen much of that with this game. Even moderately intelligent programming would provide a port list for connections to cycle through, or even better user settable ports.

Why must this game use peer to peer?

weaving webs within the web...
Old May 1, 2004, 11:41   #57
Shutoo
Settler

i believe ive narrowed the problem down to one thing my NAT. as of now i see no way around it, esp since none of the forums mention it as a problem. Ive tested all my components and unless theres a firewall on win2k i dont know about, my NAT is to blame.

i have a belkin wireless router connected directly to my computer. The router has a firewall, however i have been on my DMZ since i got it. The firewall is not the problem, esp when im still invisible even with the firewall completely disabled.

ZoneAlarm is not a problem either, i have Civ, gamespy and directplay allowed for access and server. ive fiddled w/ the security from high to none with no results.

and i dont believe spysweeper acts as a firewal but ive disabled that as well for good measure.

i dont have anti virus software

i have sbc dsl and they provided me w/ one ip address that i share on my NAT. I cant jus disable it cus i have 3 computers on my network.

so is it impossible to host w/ a NAT? or is there some way around it? or am i missing something?

and for those ppl who jus can host, the NAT may be ur problem too
Old September 19, 2004, 14:05   #58
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 06:04
ok.so after reading theses posts what IS the best way/place/server to play CIVIII on/with?

I am a memebr of Founders Club @ Gamespy and play lots of games there...is this as best as it gets for CIVIII (only play 3 games there..each about 2-3 hours apiece)

Thanks

Gramps
Old September 23, 2004, 19:59   #59
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 06:04
anyone tell me where to play CIVIII or is my above post the only location?

Thanks

Gramps
Old November 8, 2004, 07:36   #60
LouLong
Warlord

Local Time: 18:04
Grandpa Troll, you can try here :
http://civ3players.proboards2.com/index.cgi