Old October 31, 2002, 07:18   #1
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who wants...
an old, tired, war horse who is too tired to thrash Trip's ass on his own?

I guess this might just be a team... Trash Trip's ass...

Members
alva848
asleepathewheel
chamonix
Conqueror
FrustratedPoet
Meshelic
notyoueither
Nuclear Master
OPD
Randolph
Sir Ralph
Velociryx
zeit

Last edited by notyoueither; November 7, 2002 at 18:48.
Old October 31, 2002, 08:29   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 11:08
Trash Trip's ass? That sounds awesome , I'm in.
Old October 31, 2002, 09:21   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:08
Just a thouht, but wouldn't it make it

1. easier
2. more interesting,
to do US versus europe?
time zones (to name one) could speed up/slow down things quite alot IMO
Old October 31, 2002, 11:12   #4
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 10:08
I'm in too.

I just want to see trips team fail miserably.

Ironquios will be by far the best civ to be IMO.
Old October 31, 2002, 12:52   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
Can I join this game?
Old October 31, 2002, 13:53   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:08

I'm flattered.
Old October 31, 2002, 15:37   #7
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

This sounds like the type of sarcastic, and generally mean spirited team I'd like to join. Trip does seem like the type of fellow who needs a good ass trashin'.

If you'll take me...
Old October 31, 2002, 19:30   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Can I join this game?
You bet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
If you'll take me...
The more the merrier meaner.

Last edited by notyoueither; October 31, 2002 at 19:39.
Old October 31, 2002, 21:36   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Nice avatar OPD.
Old November 2, 2002, 21:01   #10
notyoueither
Deity

Oh come on. There must be more of us weirdos and old farts.

Who else wants to join?

Name suggestions?
Old November 2, 2002, 21:03   #11
notyoueither
Deity

Mine would be...

The Mean Machine A Trash Trip's Ass project
Old November 3, 2002, 11:52   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Still in doubt your team or Trip's
Old November 3, 2002, 18:23   #13
notyoueither
Deity

You would be a welcome addition alva.

You should pick where you think you'd have the most fun. However, I will point out that we have Sir Ralph. That would give you a very capable person close to you in time zones to work with.

Oh, and you'd be listed first on the member list.
Old November 4, 2002, 03:48   #14
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Am I in this game?

If so, what civ?

I'm pretty sure what NYE's suggestion would be, and I wouldn't mind playing the Romans.

I'm partial to the Iriqouis, that MW is a ***** in MP, but we can accomplish our goal, of trashing trips ass, using any civ, I am quite confident.
Old November 4, 2002, 04:37   #15
notyoueither
Deity

You bet. There was some doubt based on your first post, but not much now.

Iriqouis (sp; I'm too tired to check) would be very effective.

I am prepared to listen to what other people want and see if a concensus can be arrived at. Unfortunately, for me, both the Celts and Carths have significant attraction as well. And never forget the Impis and Jags.

I still think nothing tops the legions for all-around power, but there are many choices that would be good. maybe we should look at the civ abilities to guide us?

Industrious, Religious, Expantionist... any others that might be optimal for MP?
Old November 4, 2002, 04:43   #16
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 11:08
It's Iroquois. And Religious+Expansionist is a good mixture for MP, I think, so it's fine with me too. In addition, I have an about 200 names long list of original Iroquois cities, we could use.

What traits/UUs do the Celts and Carthaginians have again?
Old November 4, 2002, 05:26   #17
notyoueither
Deity

Carthage. Industrious, Commercial. Numidian Mercenary, 2/3/1 30 shields. Replaces Spearman.

Celts. Religious, Militaristic. Gallic Swordsman, 3/2/2 50 shields. Requires iron. Replaces Swordsman.
Old November 4, 2002, 06:16   #18
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:08
I'd really like to join this group here, I'm getting PTW either in less than a week or shortly thereafter, and this sounds like a good start here for a team. Civ-speaking, I prefer the Carthaginians to anything else....so I'd definetely like a spot on this team...
Old November 4, 2002, 06:24   #19
notyoueither
Deity

Step right up and be welcome. Even though your civ choice sucks. j/k. Mandatory ROMA VICTOR...

You do know who I am, I trust? Just call me Caesar.

But seriously, I'm not sure if we are setting a maximum yet, so the more the meaner.

I will say that the direction of the conversation seems to be towards the Iroquois due to their mix of UU nastiness and useful MP traits.
Old November 4, 2002, 06:44   #20
notyoueither
Deity

Reading other threads and...

Player cap. Should we have one?
Old November 4, 2002, 08:15   #21
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Should we wait for the map size poll to be completed before we choose a Civ (not that we'd actually come to a decision before that)? Some traits are very map size depended (commercial and expansionistic are best on larger maps... as I'm sure we all already know).

Secondly, if land mass type is chosen that should be considered (e.g. mounted warriors won’t be very useful if we’re isolated on an island).

As a final point, since ‘trashing trips ass’ is one of our primary priorities, perhaps we should wait for them to choose a team so we can pick a good counter Civ (e.g. if they’re playing the Greeks then an early offence Civ wouldn’t be very effective) .
Old November 4, 2002, 08:28   #22
notyoueither
Deity

Good points. However, they are lost in the never-never land of big numbers and medeival UUs. The dust bin of history awaits them

re the land mass and other settings. I agree, we should adjust our stance acording to the settings of the game. Iroquois might be best for Small Pangaea, but others would be good for large archipelago.

Who would we want in archipelago?
Old November 4, 2002, 09:27   #23
Randolph
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Who would we want in archipelago?
Humm,
1. Commercial: a) Start with alphabet (one advance closer to map making). b) Need to have cities spread out (perhaps more than 2 islands, i.e. more than 1 for palace 1 for FP).

Perhaps Vikings? I haven't played a Vikings game yet, but they're com + mil (?), and their UU at least stands a chance at being useful (most UU are very unlikely to be useful in a large archipelago). OTOH The high cost does worry me, particularly against humans.

I could keep ranting, but I’ll refrain.
Old November 4, 2002, 16:01   #24
alva
Deity

ok, guys, count me in

the other thread said you needed members, and this teams goal is to big a waste to let go
Old November 4, 2002, 16:08   #25
alva
Deity

indeed, not only the traits, but even the UU are very map depended.

A human is not gonna let itself be steamrolled quite so easely as an AI, with an early UU rush.

I'm not very experienced in the tiny map department though , but a good all round (even defensive) unit on these maps can do wonders IMO, especially when their cheap
Old November 5, 2002, 01:13   #26
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Vikings (now called "Scandinavians") are Militaristic+Expansionist... just like the friggin' Zulus... near useless combo for anything other than constant early warfare on a big map with lots of goody huts.

The Viking UU is EXTREMELY POWERFUL and quite near on unstopable, but it's as expensive as a marketplace to build and thus near on impossible to have very many of them w/o spending half the game building your force of them... It's very much a specialized unit, you can't really mass produce them.
Old November 5, 2002, 08:42   #27
Randolph
Prince

Yeah, in that case I say to the Scandinavians/Vikings.

We should be thinking about (kinda 'on the back burner') what Civ we would want under different map conditions as well as random.
IMHO if the map conditions are random we ought to pick a civ based on traits; picking a civ for its UU would be a gamble. Maybe commercial + industrious (France, Carthage)?
Old November 5, 2002, 08:47   #28
Randolph
Prince

Of course one UU that will always be good is the Hoplite (com+sci isn’t half bad either).
1. The raw defensive power
2. If you were someone choosing (in the ancient period) between attacking “civ X” or the Greeks, you’d likely choose “civ X”. This deterrent would be nice

(just throwing ideas out there, if rambling bothers anyone speak up )

Also, we need to think about how we're going to run this team. It seems obvious that NYE will be the general leader/pres for the moment. Should we break down positions, or should we have a more unofficial oligarchy? With only 6 people (maybe 1 or 2 more will join) I don’t see any need for a complex system, certainly not to start.

Last edited by Randolph; November 5, 2002 at 09:13.
Old November 5, 2002, 11:01   #29
asleepathewheel
Emperor

I'm not sure, but religious might be an ok trait for the game, to avoid the ww problem. And to allow us to screw with non religious democracies I would just be afraid that one of the bastard civs-the warmongers or trip would keep us in a prolonged war to trigger anarchy.

That said, I think we will win using any traits, so whatever.

I think we should pick a civ with a mid game uu-either a knight or a cavalry replacement. I think we can survive on our basic units until then, I mean I doubt the first game will be a rush for victory, but who knows.

Of course, you're right about the hoplite, that would be nice to have. though they would probably attack jsut to trigger our GA...
Old November 5, 2002, 12:29   #30
Randolph
Prince

I don't think that the religious trait directly reduces WW, it:
1) Reduces the cost of religious structures by 50% (temples, cathedrals)
2) Makes your anarchy phase only 1 turn.

Good point about the hoplite triggering a too-early GA, that would certainly be a down side.