Old November 6, 2002, 21:55   #31
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
For a blood monger your story is lacking in blood!

BTW, I would would say that 22 responses is pretty good for this place. I think if I totalled all the responses for my posts I don't think I'd end up at 22. Oh well.
Old November 7, 2002, 12:03   #32
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 19:08

Zulu scouts run to a village to warn of an approaching patrol. English patrols practically turned villages upside down looking for weapons and evidence of rebels.

1155 hours

Thandi turned her head towards the terrified english recruit and said something in swahili. The soldier repeated it and then again and again.

Chris tried to understand the language but it was beyond anything he had ever heard before. It must be an ancient dialect preserved in the scripts, he thought.

The soldier went on repeating it and walked to the side of the cage closest to everyone watching. Then a crazed, psychotic look came upon him. Seething like a wounded snake, the viens in his neck looked like they would burst and gnarled, clawlike hands extended from the cage desperate to tear apart his fellow soldiers.

Chris took a deep breath and observed the others in the audience. Kann's eyes were frozen wide with terror and his mouth hung open as if he were waiting to be fed. General McMann still towered over them but the arrogance radiating from him just before had been replaced with horror. One of the MPs was fiddling with the gun rack case hoping against all odds that it was actually unlocked.

The hypnotised soldier looked back at Thandi and stopped seething for a moment. One of the intelligence agents yelled, "Pull him out of it! Now!"

Thandi didn't comply. Damien realized his coworker's mistake and then said in a calmer voice, "Thandi, you can stop him now. We've seen enough. You'll be free to leave here."

Thandi said something again in swahili and the crazed soldier reacted as if a demon had just left him. He collapsed exhausted to the floor.

"There you are everyone. I hope you enjoyed the show. This demonstrates exactly what's been killing our platoons." Damien anounced with a smile.

"Kann, gather together a dozen military police and form a firing squad out behind the repair depot. It's got nice thick cement walls to stop bullets. Damien, put Thandi and the kid back in the truck and head them over to the repair depot." Rogers growled out orders. General McMann was strangely silent during this.

Damien replied, "Colonel, as you know, intelligence reports directly back to national security in London and our orders concerning the handling of prisoners supercede any orders given by army field commanders. You may collect your arms and leave now. Thanks for your cooperation."

"Bloody hell Damien! You mean you're just gonna send her back out there to continue the butchery of our men?" Rogers was looking almost as crazed as the hypnotised recruit just before.

"Not exactly. You know the 3 english soldiers being held captive at the village in St. Lucia Wetlands? Well, we've already arranged to have a prisoner exchange."

"One truckload of prisoners for each soldier? That's a lot of skinnies for just 3 men! Especially considering who we got here!"

"An englishman is worth at least a truckload of Zulus in our opinion if not yours. And it might make you feel more at ease to know that we are attaching a unremovable tracking device around Thandi's neck. It's a titanium band and can only be removed without killing her using laser surgery, obviously something the people here don't have. You'll be given full access to information regarding her whereabouts. In addition, our soldiers will be given shoot-to-kill orders if they see her anywhere other than in the wetlands." Damien concluded his explanation.

The argument ended shortly after this and Rogers stormed out of the interrogation dugout looking like he wanted to kill someone fast.

1500 hours

Kann huddled the dozen hand-picked soldiers together in the vehicle service bay inside the repair depot. "Gentlemen, everything I tell you is top secret and known only by myself, Colonel Rogers and General McMann. Next to us here are two armoured personnel carriers. Each APC contains a duffle bag. Inside the duffel bags are french-made assault rifles and grenade launchers which we picked-up at Mengeni last week from the dead rebels. Your job is to ambush those three truckloads of prisoners everyone knows about."

"What the --- !" exclaimed one soldier.

"Listen! I will give the drivers maps of the ambush site. It's on a steep moutain pass of 70% grade overlooking a windy road above the river. The trucks will be going slow at this point and will be sitting ducks. Your job is to --"

Another man burst out, "Have you bloody-well lost your mind? Some of our men are riding as guards in those trucks and you want us to kill them too?"

"Shut-up! The next interruption will be answered by my 45. A few more of our boys will die in the shoot-out but it's a small price to pay to take out the devil. As I was saying, you will use the weapons in the duffle bags to simulate a rebel attack on the trucks. Intelligence may bring out a forensics team to investigate the debris. After that you will detonate two grenades in each truck to make sure. From the sloppy remains, I need you to recover a titanium band which is a tracking device being worn by the devil around her neck. Once you have the device, place plastique explosives under and in the back of each truck, blow them, and use the APC's to push them into the river. You may also have some casualties from the guards firing back. Try not to leave any blood evidence. They can find out its you using DNA records."

Kann continued with the plan. "With the device in hand, drive to the wetlands and throw it into the deepest part of the lake which is indicated on the maps. Intelligence will think she was taken by the rebels to the wetlands. The map also shows a safe return route which will look like a normal patrol. The prisoner trucks are set to leave tomorrow morning at 0600 hours and you will already be in position at that time. Also indicated on the map is a place to hide the APC's where they cannot be observed from the road. Good luck gentlemen."
Old November 7, 2002, 12:26   #33
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
More twists than a curly wurly, Good Job Scratch!!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 7, 2002, 13:47   #34
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
I couldn't agree more with Chrisius. Very intriguing plot. I wouldn't even dare try to predcit what's going to happen next. It seems so obvious at first and then bam, something totally out of the order happens. You follow your own advice pretty well, I see, Scratchy. Do continue.

Spore page
Old November 7, 2002, 16:22   #35
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Great stuff!
Old November 8, 2002, 08:19   #36
unscratchedfoot
Prince

The sun sets over Babanango Military Base, as seen by the troopers of the Kann's ambush group from the APC's as they departed from the base.

1910 hours Babanango Base

Kann's ambush team was packed into the two APC's and was riding out to the hills to do their deed. They shared their worries and fears with each other and discussed their odds of surviving the upcoming engagement with the infamous 'devil'.

"Maybe we should all tape our mouths closed with duct tape to keep from repeating her chant." said one soldier.

"Yeah right Bruce. For being so dumb, you're the first one I'm gonna blow away if we all go nuts." responded another.

"Hey check out the sunset. I wonder if we'll ever see it again?" Bruce said, referring to the brilliant orange sunset which made them all think of what a beautiful place this country could be if the Zulus and English could somehow peacefully coexist.

In the Red Sea

The woman was clad only in a swimsuit and cowered in the corner next to the radio. A Zulu man with a missing front tooth was holding a .44 magnum handgun up to her and said, "French or English?"

The woman looked up from between her hands which were over her face and said in a small voice, "Uh....french. Please...I don't know what's going on here. Those guys just invited me along for the ride."

"Alright then. Let's hear you beg for mercy in french. If you're good enough we might just let you come along with us to provide some entertainment."

"Salut. Bonjour, common ce vois? Vivre le france..."

"That's about all the french I know too. I guess we'll have to find our entertainment elsewhere." said the Zulu with an evil grin.

Back in the command tent, tension was rising. "Sir, we just got word from intel that another undercover supply boat got taken out by Zulu raiders." Kann said to Rogers. "The boat was a luxury yacht carrying four young women and 2 guys and was heading for Zululand with a cargo of captured french weapons hidden in the hull. They just barely got off the distress call on time. The raiders apparently raked the boat with heavy machinegun fire, boarded it, and it's presumed they transferred the cargo out and sank the boat using demolitions."

For months, England had tried to ship weapons it had taken from the battlefield in Europe to Zululand to arm the civilian English colonists for home defence. The navy was already fully committed to other theatres so they had to rely on civilian vessels to haul the goods. Needless to say, using unarmed supply boats in a war zone was risky business.

"We're gonna have a full-scale army to confront if they keep stealing our weapons. Maybe after we take out that rebel camp tomorrow things'll settle down a little." said Rogers.

The sun had set a little lower over the British empire.
Old November 8, 2002, 09:29   #37
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Im so pleased you decided to continue this scratch, its brilliant. Keep up the good work
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 8, 2002, 11:40   #38
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quite interesting, as usual. Keep the goods coming.

On a side note: How come you always beat me to commenting on scratch's posts, Chrisius? I am usually able to respond to your stories within half an hour of them being posted. But you always, always beat me to it for scratch's stories.
Spore page
Old November 8, 2002, 13:04   #39
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Its the kind of guy I am vovan, quicker than a gazelle, strong as an ox, smart as a chimpanzee well almost and as smelly as a oops! time for a bath. See yow all later
Old November 8, 2002, 15:15   #40
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Dang that was a lot of readin'. Well it was worth it. This is really getting good, scratch, continue ASAP.
Old November 8, 2002, 23:25   #41
Easthaven I
Prince

Outstanding! I'm very pulled in to this story. Keep going. Entertaining, indeed...!
Old November 10, 2002, 08:59   #42
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Hey c'mon Scratchy never mind beating them fish all day! we want more please
Old November 11, 2002, 13:34   #43
vovan
Emperor

So, when's the next shipment of goods due to arrive, scratchy? Are you enjoying your new wooden leg, or are you still trying to come up with a way to put a vovan character in your story and kill him off in the most sadistic way possible?
Spore page
Old November 11, 2002, 18:39   #44
unscratchedfoot
Prince

The goods are still being sorted out. I have too many goods to put in and am considering which boxes to leave out. Vovan, keep on the lookout.
Old November 13, 2002, 03:59   #45
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Zulus lived in thatched stone walled huts like the one in this picture.

1000 hours, the next day, Babanango Base

Chris Maxim drove his jeep up to the east gate and saluted the guards. "Since the last of the trucks have left I better get out there myself before the fun begins."

"Second Lieutenant Maxim, we just got word from the colonel that he wants you to stay back and help man the south gate. It seems they're short on officers back here at the base with everyone gone to Mfule Valley. But since you've already received orders to join in the assault, he's leaving the choice up to you." the guard said.

"There's no place I'd rather be than supporting our boys in this fight. They're nervous with all the rumors and what not." answered Chris. He knew there was a risk of becoming a casualty if he went but staying back in a deserted base with Jolly Rogers and his sidekick Kann made him even more uncomfortable.

"Very well then sir. I wish you good luck." said the guard. Chris saluted again and drove off. The guard watched him disappear in the distance, leaving a billowing cloud of dust to mark his route.

1200 hours

The Mfule River Valley is a place of towering cliffs, heavy foilage and a winding river. The people living in this region built small villages among the forest which can only be accessed by donkey, horse or ox-cart. The English had to build their own roads to be able to move trucks and APC's to hotspots.

Chris parked his jeep in a secluded area hidden by thick bushes away from the main staging area of the assault. He wanted insurance in the small chance that the other vehicles were destroyed by the rebels while everyone was attending the attack.

After parking he quickly ran to where the troops were assembled and starting to move into the rebel-held territory. Since the rebels seldom used mortars, the men were packed together in their units. The soldiers engaged in small talk to try ease their nerves, in particular they avoided talking about "what if the Zulu witch is here?".

Chris overheard one conversation while he tried to calm his own nerves. A soldier said, "Hey did you hear about that guy everyone calls gooberboob over in Alpha company?"

"Nah, what happened?" said another.

"Well, the company was having a party last saturday out on the flats with plenty of beer and wild game. Gooberboob was entertaining himself by going around pouring genuine lion piss into people's beers when they weren't looking."

"Oh man, what a dumbass. So what happened?"

"After about 8 people had partook in the cocktail, they finally caught him in the act and took him for a ride through the bush."

"Uh, that doesn't sound so bad."

"It is when you're tied onto the front of the jeep and its going through thick brush."

The conversation came to a close with the chatter of machineguns in the forest ahead. The lead elements of the English had made contact with rebel outlooks.

Chris took a deep breath and swallowed his fear. He could already feel the adrenaline start to pump through his arteries. He had a quick look-around at his now silent men and called out, "This is what we're trained for boys. Let's move in and flush out them rebs."

1220 hours

Kann was a nervous man. He resisted the urge to go to intelligence to inquire about the location of the tracer because he knew it would be a dead giveaway. As far as he knew, intell was not aware that an ambush had been ordered. He was also feeling pretty giddy about his recent promotion to Sergeant. Rogers had submitted the request and McMann had approved it before he flew back to Zimbabwe. If the ambush was successful, he was sure that he would soon be promoted again.

Then came what he was waiting for. His radio cackled to life, "Charlie 85, this is Oscar 311, we need to talk to you urgently."

Urgently? If the tracer showed up in the lake as planned intell would not have said this. Something must have gone wrong. Kann's heartbeat pounded so hard he thought it would rupture. He sprinted to the intelligence dug-out and got momentarily stuck between a door and its doorjam in his panic.

Once Kann was inside the dug-out breathing hard and looking rather worried, Damien eyed him suspiciously. "Have a look at this monitor."

Kann craned his head over the jumble of electronic hardware to see a map of Zululand on a flatscreen monitor. "Ah, is that bright green dot the tracer?"

"Sure is. The fact that the tracer is now in Mfule Valley, exactly where the assault is just beginning, means the rebels must have ambushed the prisoner trucks and moved Thandi to the assault area. You better go inform Colonel Rogers right away. He'll be upset, but make sure he's aware that the army was responsible for the security of those trucks. Intell just arranged the transfer and we are not responsible beyond that."

At this time, 2 APC's approached the north gate and stopped. "So what can I help you with?" asked the guard.

"Give me the UZI 9mm, the 12-gauge autoloading and the 45 longslide with laser sighting." answered the driver.

The guard nodded and said, "So where are you coming from?"

"Impala. We've got casualties, two wounded."

"Make your way on over to the field hospital, drop off your casualties and then proceed for debriefing at the command tent." finished the guard.
Old November 13, 2002, 15:19   #46
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Good stuff Scratch, like the way youve left us wondering whats going to happen next.
Old November 14, 2002, 17:44   #47
Ksim3000
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:08
Great Stuff! I look forward to reading the next part!
Old November 18, 2002, 08:39   #48
unscratchedfoot
Prince

1240 hours Command Tent, Babanango Base

"What do they mean, 'It's the army's responsibility!" Rogers roared at Kann. "Those bloody morons at Intell are the ones who let the prisoners go free! I'm gonna head over there right now and..."

"Sir, should we halt the assault?" Kann interrupted.

Rogers stood and thought for a moment. His face seemed to becoming redder and redder with each passing second. "The assault force has already engaged the enemy so advise the officers by radio of the situation and let them decide how to react. Tell them they are not to take any prisoners. Kill all the Zulus in the area."

Kann took his radio off his belt and pressed the transmission button, "All units of Operation Anthill, this is Charlie 85. Be advised that Firebreathing Gerbil is reported to be in your area. Repeat, Firebreathing Gerbil is reported to be in your area. Conduct your operations accordingly. Command has authorized freedom of action and ordered full extermination of insurgents. No prisoners are to be taken."

1242 hours Mfule River Valley

Chris replaced his radio to his belt. In a panic, he missed the belt several times with the radio clip as the fire up ahead reached a crescendo. How could Thandi be here now? He wondered deriliously if he would die here in this forest today.

An explosion several meters away snapped him back to attention. Body parts of his soldiers flew through the air. The air around him was filled with the sound of bullets splitting the air and the soft 'thwup' sounds of them impacting on soft tissue. Confusion ruled the day. The confusion and panic spread through the men, fueled by seeing their comrades fall in droves to the unseen enemy. They sprayed automatic fire into the surrounding forest, not knowing who or what they were shooting at. As explosions and bullets tore through their ranks, Chris tried to steady his mind and see where the fire was coming from.

Just then an automatic shotgun nearby opened up, cutting down those nearest the shooter in heaps. Hysteria climaxed and the soldiers then began to target each other hoping to hit whoever was trying to kill them.

"Stop! Don't fall for it!" Chris cried out but couldn't possibly be heard over the din of gunfire. Losing control over his own fear, he crouched down and ran as fast as he could for the forest and away from the madness. Some of the men followed him and bullets narrowly missed him from behind. As he made it away from the main body of troops the soldiers following him were dropped by a barrage of automatic fire coming from the forest infront of him. The rebels must be attacking in a pincer!

Knowing he had only the tiniest chance of surviving, Chris ran on crashing through the brush. Twigs, branches and brush clawed away at him cutting his skin and tearing his uniform. He held his arms over his face and charged through. On the way he saw a dead rebel who must have been hit by the troopers' wild fire.

After several minutes his collapsed exhausted beside his jeep. It was then that he realized none of the men who had followed him had survived. His chest heaved trying to catch up on all the oxygen he had depleted in his dash to escape. His hands shook as he got into the jeep and started it. His adrenaline gradually eased off and he started to feel deeply relieved at having survived that incredible barrage. Although he bled from scores of scrapes and cuts, he had not been hit by any stray bullets.

1515 hours Babanango Base North Gate

"Nice night for a walk." said the guard.

"Washday tomorrow right? Nothing clean." Chris answered the security check. "I need immediate clearance to the command tent."

"Sir you may proceed for immediate debriefing at the command tent. You may also require a trip to the field hospital sir."

Chris didn't reply and accelerated through the base and up to the command tent. The base was a ghost town with the whole division attending the assault. He slammed on the brakes infront of the command tent and a thick cloud of dust preceeded him.

Inside the tent, Colonel Rogers sat at his desk listening to the radio with a morbid, sad look on his rugged face. Kann was standing infront of him.

"Colonel..." started Chris.

"You deserted your men, didn't you? You snivelling coward." snarled Roger.

"Sir things were confusing and everyone was shooting in all directions.." stuttered Chris.

"Your job is to manage your men, not run from them. You do know what we do with cowards in the British armed forces." Rogers said with that grim, serious expression Chris was so used to seeing.

Kann looked at Chris and said with a smile, "Sir shall we have him doused in gasoline and set ablaze?"

"Nah, we're already desperately short on petrol. Round up a couple of armoured personel carriers, chain his arms and legs to them and have them drive in opposite directions. It'll be good for the men to see it."

"Ah, sir. All the APC's are still in Mfule Valley." answered Kann. "But I noticed there are a particularly weak-looking bunch of skinnies holding the block in the incentive grounds today."

"Okay then. I just want to have a word with him first. Chris, I need you tell me exactly what you saw in Mfule. Did you see Thandi?"

Chris wondered for a moment why he should bother answering since he was doomed to by squashed under a block of blood-stained cement like a common cockroach. But he answered anyways, "My unit was too far back to see the front where it all started. It's quite possible they took prisoners before the radio alert came in and Thandi could have been one of them."

"You made sure you were well in the rear so you could make a quick exit. Correct me if I'm wrong." said Rogers.

"Didn't you want to have a look at sweet little Thandi?" smirked Kann.

Chris couldn't even see Roger's hand move before the deafening boom of his desert eagle made every muscle in his body jerk in surprised reaction. Kann clutched his stomach and dropped to the floor gagging and choking from the gutshot. His convulsing face looked up at Rogers and his mouth opened and closed as if trying to ask, "Why?"

Chris started to shake again as he looked back at Rogers having just witnessed him shoot his closest officer in cold blood.

"Second Lieutenant Chris Maxim, you have interfered with my operations one too many times. When you set those prisoners free at Mengani you set back our whole plan by a week and almost compromised it. If you had succeeded in calling in a forensics team and exposed what actually happened you'd already have been greeted by Mr. Desert Eagle here."

Plan? Exposed what actually happened? "Sir what do you mean by 'exposed...'"

"I am the Devil of Nkwalini, the sword of hope for the Zulu people." answered Rogers. All the anger had dissipated from him and only the sadness remained.

A thousand questions all went through Chris's mind at the same time. "But what about Thandi? I thought she was the devil?"

"She was just a pawn in a big game of chess being played between the defense minister Garry Oleham and myself." Rogers took the clip out of his pistol and loaded a new round into it to replace the one spent.

"But I saw her hypnotise the soldier.."

"Staged. Intell, Thandi and the soldier had practiced for many hours in a secret hut in Mfule Valley when they were off-duty. They had to be convincing so McMann would pass word on to Garry and propogate the myth of hypnotism. Thandi knew no more about hypnotism than you or I."

Chris listened on in shocked silence. Roger continued, "When I first arrived in Zululand, fresh from the European front, I was a British man. I lived for the army and only cared about what my superiors told me. A few weeks after being posted here, I was on a safari while off-duty and came upon a Zulu woman out collecting ubhonisi which you know are sugar beans. I had studied the same Zulu cultural courses as you did at military college so I was able to speak with her to a limited degree. Being a country dweller she had not learned to speak english so I took advantage of the opportunity to practice swahili. She told me of how the British were denying them their desire to live in their traditional way in harmony with nature. They were a peaceful people who wanted to be friends with the English who had come to Zululand. Her husband had been forced to join the rebels and she had gotten word that he died fighting the English."

"She took me to her small village and I met the other villagers. I was lucky there were no rebels present that day or we would not be having this conversation now. From that day on I made a habit of visiting her on my days off and we became close. I came to see how the British mandate in Zululand was just the explotation of a peace-loving people and I could no longer tolerate the way we treated them."

Chris asked, "But what about this dam and the incentive grounds? How could you..."

"It's all the work of Garry Oleham. He ordered everything you see here. I just manage it. For me it's a front to cover up my true intentions."

"Which are?" asked Chris.

"The total annihilation of the British occupation forces of Zululand." answered Rogers. "The slaughter of British troops until now were entirely orchestrated by myself. I enlisted people who shared my viewpoints and I carefully selected those I could trust most. The massacres were carried out as follows: when the platoons were planning to gather in a wooded area I alerted Thandi who passed word onto the rebels. Thandi herself would go to the area in advance. Rebels operating from prepared underground hideouts surrounded the area after the troops assembled."

"But how did you make them shoot each other?"

"French infiltrators whose friends and family had been killed by the English were smuggled from Europe. I armed them with auto-shotguns and fletchette ammo. They joined the platoons the very day of the ambushes and opened fire on those around them just after the rebels sprang the ambush. In the crossfire, the British troops were lost in confusion and opened up on each other. Few of the french volunteers survived but they cost the British dear."

Rogers went on, "Garry Oleham is now dead. He was due in today for a visit to Zululand to meet with McMann. Rebels alerted to his incoming transport were in place to hit him with stinger missiles."

"But they don't have weapons like that." said Chris.

"Remember the transport ships that were pirated in the Red Sea? I had them filled with everything the rebels would need and then gave the raiders interception coordinates."

"So why did you shoot Kann just now? Why not keep it all covered up?" Chris looked down at Kann who was almost dead.

Rogers looked sad again and looking at his desktop said, "Thandi and I were close. Very close if you know what I mean. Kann's secret order to have the prisoner convoy ambushed, killed Thandi and her daughter. When he mentioned her just now I couldn't help but shoot him."

"What? Thandi is dead? What ambush?" asked Chris.

"Kann had an ambush set up hoping to get another promotion, and after the prisoners had all been killed he ordered the trucks blown up with plastique to try and make it look like a rebel attack. Zulu informants far and wide heard the resounding detonations and saw 2 British APC's leave the area just after. They alerted me and I had the soldiers in those APC's hauled down to Intell for interrogation. They gave in quickly when promised immunity if they pointed the finger at who had ordered the ambush. You see, Zululand Intelligence has never hurt a prisoner. They only offer the carrot, not the stick. They are good people down there. "

"Chris, the British forces in Zululand are doomed. In a few days, the rebels, using the weapons captured at Mfule today, will overrun the garrison in Zimbabwe. They cannot hold with the Babanango division destroyed. And you can be assured they'll be having their own little game of 'watch the englishmen try to hold the cement block over their comrades while Zulus jump up on down on the block.' This base will be taken anytime now. The rebels don't know I was helping them. I gave all my orders through Thandi so no Zulus would blow my cover with rumors or a careless remark at the wrong time."

"Today I tried to save your life by asking you to stay back from the assault. I wanted to give you this." Rogers opened a drawer on his desk and took out a document. He handed it to Chris. "This is a transfer order for you to go to Europe. It cites my misgivings about you but that's just to cover up the truth. Europe'll be far safer than Zululand for you. You're a good man and I'd hate to see you die. The mercy you showed the Zulu people at Mengani did not go unnoticed and Thandi made sure all the people knew of you. I even passed on your picture from your file to her. That is why you survived today. The rebels intentionally avoided harming you. Now I ask that you spare my life and smuggle me out of here before the rebels get here."

"Ah....alright, alright." Chris's voice wavered with nervousness. "I'll get a jeep and a duffle bag to..."

Just then sounds of rapidly approaching vehicles cut short the conversation. Chris looked out the tent door and could see a jeep filled with 5 Zulu rebels and a browning calibre 50 swaying on its suspension. He saw they were not the usual 'skinnies' but were the muscular iziCwa elite who did nothing but train in the art of warfare. The were showcases of modern infantry weaponry with all kinds of arms strapped onto their webbing. The five warriors made their way into the tent, swaggering with confidence.

"Time's up for you Jolly Rogers." The leader looked at Rogers with cruel eyes and a pitiless grin. Another spat on Kann, still agonizing on the floor in his struggle with death.

"He's not what you think. He's a good man who helped the Zulus in secret." pleaded Chris.

The leader said, "We got ourselves here da most wanted man in Zululand." He turned to Chris and said, "It looks like he's been lying to ya. Thandi wanted to hypnotise him more than anybody else. Boya, ya better get yur skinny white ass outta here 'cause ole Jolly Rogers here's gonna dance to da rhythm of lead. That is, unless ya wanna join in da fun, huh?"

Rogers said, "Chris, you get yourself down to Zimbabwe and submit that transfer request. You'll be alright if you do that." Chris was about to protest again when Rogers cut him off. "Go now!"

Chris walked out of the tent with a feeling of intense sadness and confusion. Was Rogers the devil or not?

An explosion of gunfire erupted within the tent. One long burst of machinegun fire continued on after the initial outburst. Chris stopped and slowly went back to peek in the tent door. One of the rebels was standing over the almost unrecognizable remains of Rogers and another rebel was nursing their leader lying on the floor with blood pouring out of a chest wound. Two more rebels lay dead on the floor with holes in their foreheads, apparently victims of Roger's desert eagle.

Chris did not think it was possible to feel so sad for someone like Rogers as he drove on to Zimbabwe with a large container of gasoline in the back.

He went on to get his transfer to Europe. He was an admired officer who was popular with the men because he cared about them. Zululand became independent after the route of the army. Few there escaped their retribution. The war in Europe eventually ended and Chris returned to England to become a builder. He never mentioned to anyone what had passed in the command tent that fateful day.

But not a day passed that he didn't wonder, "Was Colonel Rogers the saviour of the Zulus or a masterful teller of lies?"

This is the storage hut where Thandi put her sugar beans.

Last edited by unscratchedfoot; February 8, 2004 at 20:59.
Old November 18, 2002, 12:13   #49
vovan
Emperor

Indeed, Scratchy, you sorted out those boxes of goods well. This last part is the very best of the whole story, and wraps it up in a great fashion. Thumbs up on this one. I would nominate it for the first round of the story contest right now, although I am not sure if you would like to compete in the same round as Chrisius. I know this: if both of your stories were in the same contest, I would have to abstain from vote, as I think they are both great.

Once again, good job you've done there, Scratch. Looking forward to you writing another one
Spore page
Old November 18, 2002, 14:55   #50
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well thanks for that vovansim but Id have no problem in choosing which to vote for, Scratch that was a fantastic ending Twelve out of ten mate.

It makes my piece look quite weak at the end and I think I can learn a great deal from this baby.

Now you have said you dont want to enter the votes but I think you should rethink as this could win it for you. I would agree with you that the contest is not all that important but this is excellent.

Well written Scratch, Bravo
Old November 18, 2002, 20:44   #51
steamthunk
Chieftain

Just finished reading the last couple segments. Well done. Glad you took the time to finish this. Also like the inclusion of the pictures.
Old November 19, 2002, 19:14   #52
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Excellent indeed. If there were a "best plot twist" award it would undoubtedly go to you, scratch. Looking forward to your next piece.
Old November 19, 2002, 21:27   #53
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

You see Scratch thats four people who have said this is excellent, so you see we do love you after all.

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 19, 2002 at 21:54.
Old January 16, 2003, 18:52   #54
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Bump.

For any new folks who may not have read this cracking piece by our Scratch.

This to my mind is his best work but that does not detract from his other stuff at all.

Enjoy.
Old February 6, 2004, 22:35   #55
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

And finally for now my favourite piece by unscratchedfoot although he is also one of the best comedic writers this site has to offer.

I would suggest you seek out his Bush series of fun stories as well.

BUMP
Old February 8, 2004, 20:47   #56
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Thanks chris. I just glanced over the end of this story and noticed a couple of words missing so I better do an edit just now. As for Bush, my new story is on the verge of completion. I'm about halfway through the end fight. I also got another story like this one in the works.
Old February 8, 2004, 21:23   #57
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Ooh cant wait
Old February 8, 2004, 21:45   #58
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Ooh cant wait
Second that!
Spore page
Old February 10, 2004, 07:25   #59
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Classy, very classy...

Thank you Scratch.

Looking forward to you new works