Old November 7, 2002, 15:21   #91
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
Next issue on my mind: Who amongst us is interested in leadership? Who's good at what?--Togas
Since this will be my first Democracy Game I will be content to keep in second line and help the leaders in what I can
Old November 7, 2002, 15:31   #92
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:09
Well, in my opinion, the Ottomans would be lousy for roleplay. Their history is mottled, and filled, literally, with incredibly dark and nasty stories. For example, do we really want to talk about how we capture the cities and impale everyone who stands out against us? Do we really want to talk about the fact that alot of boys were sent to the Sultan's harem for the Sultan's enjoyment (the sick pig)? Do we really want to mention that all the male heirs besides the Sultan were to be murdered, or, in nicer times, incarcerated in a single, dark, crampted space known as the Cage for the rest of their lives? I'd prefer not to go for the Ottomans, as, really, they were a repulsive bunch.

Of course, the Carthaginians have only two problems...1) Their religion, which included burning babies in sacrifice...2) Roleplay after Ancient Age. Personally, I'd prefer to play the Carthaginians, because, overlooking religion, I think we'd all get a kick out of playing them. Besides, they were, many believe, very democratic in their government historically.

The Carthaginians are obviously a better choice all around than the Ottomans.

The Celts are a good choice roleplay wise. The UU is OK, though, as pointed out above.

Spain is also a good choice roleplay wise, but it seems the UU smells.

I'd prefer Carthage. C'mon Hannibal!
Old November 7, 2002, 15:59   #93
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Hi everybody !

I would like to join your team. I find the idea to roleplaying simply genial !

I dont have PTW yet, as I'm located in Switzerland, but I think it wouldn't be a problem in the beginning of this game.

Since my english isn't very good, I would mostly be an ardent fan instead a very active player, I hope you can understand.

My preferred civ will be the Spanish for this game, but Carthage and Celts are also good.

Togas, could you confirm me if I'm accepted ?
Old November 7, 2002, 16:02   #94
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:09
Quote:
Originally posted by astrologix
Togas, could you confirm me if I'm accepted ?
Right now we have no maximum number, so everyone who's interested is accepted.

Please vote in our poll for your civilization choice.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 7, 2002, 16:04   #95
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I'm joining, but I'm waiting for my PTW copy.

I still say: "CARTHAGE!"
Old November 7, 2002, 16:22   #96
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by astrologix
Hi everybody !

I would like to join your team. I find the idea to roleplaying simply genial !

I dont have PTW yet, as I'm located in Switzerland, but I think it wouldn't be a problem in the beginning of this game.
I am an spanish international student in Switzerland. What a coincidence! Please to meet you!
Old November 7, 2002, 16:28   #97
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Thank you Togas, it'll be a very funny game
Old November 7, 2002, 16:31   #98
astrologix
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by oliverfa

I am an spanish international student in Switzerland. What a coincidence! Please to meet you!
Fine ! Me too
Old November 7, 2002, 16:45   #99
Crousto
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 11:09
I'd like to create religion, myths and so on from scratch too for our civ instead of using the civ's own background. Creating stories is what roleplaying is all about! And our civ's destiny will probably be very different from the civ we'll be playing (especially if we choose Carthage ), so using a real life civ's background sounds pointless for me. But I guess we'll have to set up a poll for this once we've choosed our civ.
Old November 7, 2002, 16:59   #100
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:09
hmmm...interesting....the Mongols. Militaristic and Expansionalistic, not the best traits, but could be fun to roleplay. Imagine, a team full of UberKruX type people....

Whats the UU?
Old November 7, 2002, 17:16   #101
Crousto
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jdjdjd
Whats the UU?
Keshik, 4/2/2 knight. I've read that it's cheaper than normal knight and needs only 1 movement point to cross mountain (I don't have the game yet so I can't confirm).
Old November 7, 2002, 18:44   #102
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

the knight costs 70; the keshik is 60... so not much cheaper, but yes, it does treat mountains like grasslands
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 7, 2002, 20:00   #103
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
Wow. Looks like we have many people on board. I would not mind being in charge for the first month or two... just that RL schedule until early to mid december is crazy. Throught the holidays it should be no particular problem for me however.

Experience, well, I was City Planner for two terms in the C3DG. I also have a tendency of just doing things and polling the people after the fact... which should work ok for this stage of the game... but I do NOT want to leave anybody out. So, If elected to be our first dictator, I suspect the first couple of weeks will amount to just me playing the first 10-20 turns, and posting it for people to see and comment on. Once we discover something usefull, Such as new city sites, goodie huts with free tech, our neighbors, etc, then I could see appointing people to lead our discussions regarding these issues, and going on from there.

I would not be upset if I am not our first dictator however, as it will give me more time to plot his overthrough through some truly diabolical means......

In regards to the civ we have.. well, I plan on using a combination of real history and whatever I feel like making up for RP purposes. Hopefully it will be a fun balance.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 7, 2002, 21:18   #104
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

As for leadership... my tendencies are somewhat similar to Togas in terms of executive leadership and diplomacy being my primary interests

However, I could also do economics, war (I'm pretty decent at fighting wars when I DO fight them, but I'm a "reluctant warrior"), or public works. City planning would likely be the area I'm least interested in.

The first dictator, I agree, should be a good general over other considerations. With so few cities, he can get good advice from great people on city management (since there's so little to manage), but moving around those early military units will be largely on his shoulders alone.

Btw, as you all already know... I heartily join with History Guy's call:

CARTHAGE!!!
Old November 7, 2002, 21:27   #105
jdjdjd
Prince

Maybe Mongols ain't so bad....

Of course, I would support GK....and agree we need to make up some stuff, especiially if we are Carthage, I mean I can only take the elephants crossing the Alps thing so far.
Old November 7, 2002, 22:05   #106
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Mongols would be great for the UU, but their traits are the worst combo that exists...

I'd also argue that the Arab traits AND UU are better than the Mongols. If you want to go expansionist warmonger, the Arabs and Mongols are best... but I think the Arabs would be better (and thus I wonder why the Glory of War team hasn't talked about taking them yet... )

Personally, I'd rather go with the following (now considering both game interest and role-playing):

NEW CIV(S):
Carthage

OLD CIVS:
Rome (those legionaries have a defensive value of 3 as well... Would be GREAT for role-playing)
Japan (Samurai kick major a**... role-play would be a blast, and their traits can be devastatingly effective if you want to go warmonger)
Greece (awesome traits, awesome UU, wonderful role-play possibilities.. ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT THE FACES OF DRAMA AS OUR LOGO )
Persia (awesome traits, awesome UU, semi-fair RP possibilities)

Korea would be great for the traits, but their UU is simply attrocious. Spain would be good for RP, but their UU AND THEIR TRAITS are lousy. The Ottomons are great for traits and UU, but it seems that a number of people really don't want to RP them. Celts are all-around pretty decent, but I don't think they match up with Carthage.
Old November 7, 2002, 22:15   #107
Arnelos
Emperor

TEAM CHAT
MEMBERS OF THE TEAM:

I believe that we need to hold a team chat.

At such a chat, we could hammer out some prelimary work on resolving the following issues:

1. Primary civ choice and what civ we would take if we lose the rock-paper-scissors for our primary choice
2. Ideas for an official team name (to replace the place-holder name of "role-play team")

Additional issues that we could begin working on (of the list Trip made of things needed by December 1st) would be:

1. Determing who would be the first Supreme Leader and what powers he would have (and what powers and rights others would have).
2. A defined means of handling at least change in positions and power under despotism (we can work out how monarchy and republic might work during the game if we can't work that out before it starts).
3. Determing what advisors the Supreme Leader will need and who might fill those roles. Specifically, we will need someone to handle Public Relations (NewZupdates, etc.) and someone to handle inter-team diplomacy. These decisions will likely be made AFTER the Supreme Leader is decided, as it's entirely possible the Supreme Leader could ALSO be the team's head diplomat or that he would have the right to appoint the team's diplomat during our time under despotism, etc.

SUGGESTED TIME FOR A TEAM CHAT:

How about this Saturday? The next single-player Apolyton turnchat is tomorrow (Friday) and I'm planning to hold my chat as VP on Sunday evening, so I know that Saturday is free

I'd personally suggest sometime around 2000-2200 GMT (as I think most people can make that), but other times might work as well.
Old November 7, 2002, 22:18   #108
Arnelos
Emperor

I've just thought of the wisdom of PMing people with this idea (to make sure it gets noticed).
Old November 7, 2002, 23:01   #109
Arnelos
Emperor

CHAT IS A 'GO'
Ok, I've heard back from several people... it sounds like doing a chat this Saturday is a 'go'

Here's the time that seems to be preferred:

2000 GMT (8 p.m. GMT)
That's 3 p.m. EST for those of us in North America.

I figure we can do the IRC chat on Undernet in the following channel (we'll form it for the chat):

#civ3rp

I figure that's a channel name which likely won't be taken for some other purpose

--------------

btw, wasn't able to get out the PM version of the above to all team members because my connection seems to be on the fritz tonight (that or Apolyton is on the fritz tonight...)
Old November 7, 2002, 23:04   #110
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
I was one of those who Arnelos heard from. I will do my best to be there, but cannot promise as RL is crazy and hectic.

Saturday, 3pm. Got it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 7, 2002, 23:11   #111
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

3 in the afternoon on a Saturday?

I thought such ungodly times existed only for the C3DG, and only during the summer.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:04   #112
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:09
Oh, please, don't make me get up before 6 AM on a Sunday. I'd be fine with a couple of hours later, though.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:30   #113
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:09
I'm free between 2000 & 2400 on Saturday so if we need to move it back a few hours to give our Aussie friends a bit more sleep, I'm fine with that.

Let's try to iron out our civ choice and discuss rules and procedures for the team. We'll need a few "out of character" rules to move things along. Arnelos' agenda is great.

If any of you can make it to this chat, please do. I hope that we will be able to finalize our civ (or at least get it down to a run-off for 1st & 2nd choice) by the end of this chat and do a little team bonding in the process.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 8, 2002, 05:03   #114
Crousto
Prince

Saturday 22h GMT sounds like the best for me (23h in western Europe, 14h in western US, 17h in eastern US, and Sunday 9h in eastern Australia)
Old November 8, 2002, 05:10   #115
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Sounds good to me.
Old November 8, 2002, 05:28   #116
Crousto
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Sounds good to me.
Not sure about 9h in Melbourne though... That's what timezoneconverter.com told me but from this forum's times you are +10GMT so it should be 8h for you
Looks light daylight savings time headache
Old November 8, 2002, 05:53   #117
astrologix
Deity

Re: CHAT IS A 'GO'
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

2000 GMT (8 p.m. GMT)
That's 3 p.m. EST for those of us in North America.

I figure we can do the IRC chat on Undernet in the following channel (we'll form it for the chat):

#civ3rp

It's fine for me
Old November 8, 2002, 05:56   #118
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Not sure about 9h in Melbourne though... That's what timezoneconverter.com told me but from this forum's times you are +10GMT so it should be 8h for you
Looks light daylight savings time headache
I think it depends on whether we use actual GMT or Apolyton time, which is one hour ahead. Either one is fine by me.
Old November 8, 2002, 11:04   #119
jdjdjd
Prince

I'm not sure I can make it either time, but I iwll try to check in if possible.
Old November 8, 2002, 12:34   #120
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

The time is OK for me.