View Poll Results: What should the scince slider be?
0% 1 3.03%
10% 0 0%
20% The current level 0 0%
30% 3 9.09%
40% 12 36.36%
50% 9 27.27%
Let's techwhore-The Maximum we can without bankrupcy 5 15.15%
Let's Raise it within 20 turns 3 9.09%
Let's raise it in more than 20 turns 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 31, 2002, 14:31   #1
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Poll(Unoff.)What should the Science slider be set at?
poll(Unofficial)What should the science slider be set at?

Its time we acted like a world power, and raised our science rate to get get to our next objectives: ToE===>Hoover Dam. We need a fairly short term strategy to get there.

Note: I had 3 links to threads but they were no good,and by the time I can fix them, almost everyone will have voted in the poll. Sorry for the inconvience.

Last edited by realpolitic; November 1, 2002 at 18:07.
Old October 31, 2002, 15:31   #2
F-PRO
Call to Power II Democracy GamePtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 11:09
The link to the science rate discussion thread doesn't work, on my PC at least. I found the thread all by myself though
Old October 31, 2002, 15:34   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
I'm expecting a runoff between 40% and 50%. My vote went to 40%, but that might change between now and the time the runoff poll is started.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 31, 2002, 15:55   #4
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:09
None of these links work for me either.

(The Science Slider disucssion thread though is an active one.)
Old October 31, 2002, 16:09   #5
F-PRO
Warlord

Stupid me I voted for 40% instead of the rate I favour: 50%. Could someone change that please?
Old October 31, 2002, 16:23   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Is that poll taking place in Palm Beach County, Florida ???
Old October 31, 2002, 16:37   #7
F-PRO
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Is that poll taking place in Palm Beach County, Florida ???
The 40 was too close to the 50. It's fraud! Let's hope we have an unbiased court (do we?)
Old October 31, 2002, 18:59   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
voted 50%, but 40% would be ok by me also.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 31, 2002, 19:36   #9
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I'm expecting a runoff between 40% and 50%. My vote went to 40%, but that might change between now and the time the runoff poll is started.
Since more than 50% have voted for 50% or max(at least as I'm putting up this post) I'd think that a 50% slider was the will of the people.
Old October 31, 2002, 19:52   #10
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 06:09
I agree. And since it was the will of the people, I will reveal that it was and is most certainly my will too.

This poll isn't official, but I think that it is a strong enough suggestion to our esteemed minister of economy. As for timing, I think it is generally understood that it would be implemented the next turn.
Old October 31, 2002, 23:15   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:09
Forty percent looks good. We still get almost +300Lpt that way, and our tech rate improves considerably.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 1, 2002, 00:42   #12
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'd prefer 50% (and that's how I voted), but I could live with 40%.

Personally, I think the best move is to publicy provide information on how much income would be under each rate and how long it would take to research the next tech under each rate. I know this can easily be determined by looking at the save, but not everyone wants to go to the trouble of looking that up from the save every time they vote in a poll like this

Perhaps the MoS or MoE can provide that information with a poll like this in the future - perhaps that would even give the MoS something more to do?
Old November 1, 2002, 01:16   #13
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Personally, I think the best move is to publicy provide information on how much income would be under each rate and how long it would take to research the next tech under each rate.
Check out Raising the Science Slider (one of the threads realpolitic linked in the start of the thread though there was something weird with that link). On the second page, ET lists the lpt and turns for discovery for every science slider setting.
Old November 1, 2002, 01:48   #14
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 04:09
It's amazing how many people vote with their hearts instead of attempting to develop a budget. Look at our Military. There is about a 3400 upgrade bill now due. Can we defer it a little? Yes but not for long. Remember folks we only have 18 GA turns left. And that's when the money dries up. And most likely another upgrade cycle for riflemen due.

Does anyone truly believe that 14 turns from now we will be able to renegotiate our Fur deal so it is still free (Lyton wise). ? Wanna buy a bridge with questionable title?

Does anyone truly believe that 17 turns from now we will be able to renegotiate silks for dyes even up? In your dreams.

Does anyone truly believe that 14 turns from now we will be able to renegotiate gems for free (Lyton wise)? The banana knows but I digress.

And the New France proposal with accelerated culture for City 1A/1B will be cheap?

Run the numbers. I have and you will quickly see that 50% will be a big cash burn, 40% will be a modest cash burn, and 30% isn't worth the effort science wise.

Well we could disband our lone warrior for 2 Lytons and save 1/turn maintenance. That oughta be enough! Whatta ya say Aggie?
Old November 1, 2002, 13:57   #15
joncnunn
Emperor

Road Cage, there's no need to upgrade most military units just as soon as you discover the techs.

Knights in other theatres can stay as Knights until some time as we start planning our next war. Who knows? Perhaps by the time the next war starts, even Calvary is obsolete. (Attacking Infentry with anything other than Tanks usually results in massive loses to the attackers.)

And as far as the defensive units: Stone age defensive units in the interiors is fine the entire game.
Only defensemen along the border matter, and since a glance at ratio of AI worker to AI military unit on the frontier tells you if they are wanting to fight you well in advance, we can delay upgrading defensive units as well.

The Forbiden Place completes in 12 turns currently. Our increased GPT from the first few towns near it more than covers luxary trade deals even post GA.
Old November 1, 2002, 18:17   #16
realpolitic
Prince

We should upgrade our Knights to Cavalry as soon as we need to.For 20 Lytons it's extremely cost effective. I usually pay for my upgrades by disbanding a few ancient units, but given the warmongering style we've played and our decision to go Democratic, we should first decide if we will soon go Commie, and figure out if we'll have all of our units free.
Quote:
Does anyone truly believe that 14 turns from now we will be able to renegotiate our Fur deal so it is still free (Lyton wise). ? Wanna buy a bridge with questionable title?

Does anyone truly believe that 17 turns from now we will be able to renegotiate silks for dyes even up? In your dreams.

Does anyone truly believe that 14 turns from now we will be able to renegotiate gems for free (Lyton wise)? The banana knows but I digress.
We might be able to trade technology for one or more of these, but if not, we have plenty of luxuries, and probably shouldn't bid too high for them. So we lose a few WLTKD's or have an entertainer in 3 cities, or whatever. Sometimes that can be cheaper than a luxury contract.

Last edited by realpolitic; November 1, 2002 at 18:29.
Old November 1, 2002, 18:29   #17
realpolitic
Prince

We should upgrade our Knights to Cavalry as soon as we need to. I usually pay for my upgrades by disbanding a few ancient units, but given the warmongering style we've played and our decision to go Democratic, we should first decide if we will soon go Commie, and figure out if we'll have all of our units free.
Old November 1, 2002, 18:58   #18
joncnunn
Emperor

I highly dought we are going communist any time soon.

The Forbiden Palace is going to complete in 12 turns.

Our existing Palace is going to start being relocated to Timeline in 4 turns.

Unless an AI declares war on us, we might not fight again. (Athough I think this is highly unlikely.)

Any AI on our own contientant that declares war on us though will feel our wrath and probably be annexed in their entirity.
Old November 1, 2002, 19:59   #19
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I'd say 40. This allows us to research on our own while still keeping adequate funds for rushes and upgrade. We can then reasess it again after our GA.