Old November 2, 2002, 13:08   #61
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 05:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Amesjustin
As a software developer myself, I know the frustration a programmer feels when he/she is forced to release software that he/she knows is sub-par because the people who pay your bills are demanding it be released on a certain date.
Been there, done that. It sucks to be blamed for stuff that isn't really your fault.

Quote:
The only gaming exception is Blizzard. Yes their games have very few bugs, but they also take SEVERAL years to develop and are expensive as hell. And in my opinion not as fun to play as any of Firaxis' games.
And every one of their games in recent memory has missed their target date, often by years. But I do have to admit they come out polished.
Old November 2, 2002, 14:21   #62
Jens_S
Settler

Local Time: 10:10
I agree by and large with [FX] Roman. This game is a *MAJOR* dissapointment. I'm sure the vast majority of people bought this game (at the very least, a very significant percentage of people did) mostly for the multiplay, and now it doesn't even work properly. I'm not saying that Firaxis won't improve the game, but *AS IT STANDS NOW* it is completely unacceptable. I paid a fair deal of money for it, and it can't even promise what it delivered. Yes, some people have gotten in a turn-based game on multiplay on a tiny map, but Civ: PtW promised so much more than that. Firaxis better fix most of these problems fairly soon, or I will be angry enough not to buy any of their products again.
Old November 2, 2002, 14:23   #63
Jens_S
Settler

Er, delievered what it promised, I meant. Heh, silly mistake, but that doesn't change my sentiments.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:04   #64
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jens_S
I agree by and large with [FX] Roman. This game is a *MAJOR* dissapointment. I'm sure the vast majority of people bought this game (at the very least, a very significant percentage of people did) mostly for the multiplay, and now it doesn't even work properly. I'm not saying that Firaxis won't improve the game, but *AS IT STANDS NOW* it is completely unacceptable. I paid a fair deal of money for it, and it can't even promise what it delivered. Yes, some people have gotten in a turn-based game on multiplay on a tiny map, but Civ: PtW promised so much more than that. Firaxis better fix most of these problems fairly soon, or I will be angry enough not to buy any of their products again.
Is this your first civ game?

They have always been primariliy a SP game. MP has always been secondary.

Which doesn't excuse the problems, I just wanted to point that out.

They will fix it, hopefully very soon.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:31   #65
Obese Monkfish
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Is this your first civ game?

They will fix it, hopefully very soon.
Why did you even bother to point it out? One of the main touted features of PTW was MP. At first we were led to believe a patch for Civ III would have MP. Then it was an expansion. Now the expansion, for all intents and purposes, does not have MP.

Did anyone really buy the expansion for 6 new civs and some new units??? LOL if they did.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:36   #66
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 02:10
I just hope you guys got hte patch, and read the readme, before you started complaining.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:48   #67
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Obese Monkfish

Why did you even bother to point it out? One of the main touted features of PTW was MP. At first we were led to believe a patch for Civ III would have MP. Then it was an expansion. Now the expansion, for all intents and purposes, does not have MP.

Did anyone really buy the expansion for 6 new civs and some new units??? LOL if they did.
The patch will come, have some patience.

Oh, and I bought it mainly for the SP enhancements, as have others. I will (and have) play some MP, but I don't have time for that on a regular basis. The SP enhancements are pretty significant, far beyond what a good graphic artist or modder could do.

When they promise MP in a patch? could you point out the thread? I have heard this before, but never from a primary source.
Old November 2, 2002, 16:10   #68
Jens_S
Settler

Asleepatthewheel, in answer to your following post...

"Is this your first civ game?

They will fix it, hopefully very soon."

No, this is not my first Civ game. I've played the Civ series for years. Though I'm left a little puzzled as to exactly what relevance that has to do with the Civ 3: Play the World expansion pack not working properly.

The only reason I can think of why you would ask that question - other than as a [failed] put-down - would be based on the nature of your second paragraph; that the Civ series have always been primiarily a SP game. Well, the main purpose of Civ 3: Play the World was the addition of multiplay (hence the title "Play the World". Also, directly on the front of the box it says "Multiplay", thus giving the consumer an additional indication as to what is the main purpose of the expansion pack. Furthermore, if you read my original post, you'll see that I clearly point out that I recognise that multiplay isn't the only reason why some people bought Civ3: PtW (and indeed might not even factor into the equation).

And yes, I do hope they fix it soon, too.
Old November 2, 2002, 16:28   #69
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jens_S
No, this is not my first Civ game. I've played the Civ series for years. Though I'm left a little puzzled as to exactly what relevance that has to do with the Civ 3: Play the World expansion pack not working properly.

The only reason I can think of why you would ask that question - other than as a [failed] put-down - would be based on the nature of your second paragraph; that the Civ series have always been primiarily a SP game. Well, the main purpose of Civ 3: Play the World was the addition of multiplay (hence the title "Play the World". Also, directly on the front of the box it says "Multiplay", thus giving the consumer an additional indication as to what is the main purpose of the expansion pack. Furthermore, if you read my original post, you'll see that I clearly point out that I recognise that multiplay isn't the only reason why some people bought Civ3: PtW (and indeed might not even factor into the equation).

And yes, I do hope they fix it soon, too.
You're right, I was a little harsh. my apologies

You have a right to your opinion. I too am disappointed by the quality of the MP.

a patch will come.

Infogrames is the main source of the problem, not Firaxis.

I think I am just tired of hearing this repeated ad naseum when I know firaxis has gotten the message (if they didn't already know post-gold, pre-release, which I suspect they did) (also my football team is losing, so I'm a bit testy )

again, a patch will come, patience is required now. Personally, I would rather them put out the game when they did and patch it as problems arise than to go without the SP improvements, but that's just me, you obviously feel otherwise, I'm sorry that you're disappointed. honestly, I am probably too loyal to Firaxis and the Civ series.
Old November 2, 2002, 16:40   #70
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:10
I have seen a number of people including me that bought it for SP only. I have not played MP since the original Red Alert.
Old November 2, 2002, 17:22   #71
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't really want to jump in to more debates about PTW (I did my fair share of flaming a couple of days ago!), but I just want to set the record straight:

On the front of my copy of PTW, right under the title, it reads: "Multiplayer, Expansion Pack, Requires Civ3 to Play".

One could put forth the argument that marketing is not always a good sign of what you get "on the inside" (just look at bad movies with great previews), but I don't think it applies too well in this case. The proof is that Infogrames/Firaxis (I don't know exactly who, probably both) is/are working around the clock right now to make the MP playable.

Dominae
Old November 2, 2002, 18:08   #72
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:10
And if you spent more time listening to people who know how to make it go, and less time ranting, you would probably have some fun and find that yes, Virginia, it does work.

Found a guy last night who is about 300 miles from me. Played for several hours Simultaneous. It was like SP with a time clock.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:12   #73
Flesh Reaver
Settler

Ok, Ok....

So all you diehard Firaxis lovers are yelling about how all we have to do is wait for a patch. This is a bunch of bull, but i would be satisfied with that.

Except for the fact that MP is SO screwed up that I doubt any patch in the future is going to bring it fully up to standards. If it was minor bugs, no problem, patchs would fix it to %100.

My concern is that the patches are going to get it up to the point where you can maybe play 4 ppl with some lag involved. Then we will stop seeing patches because the core of the program is so screwed that no amount of patching will bring us up to %100 percent.

My guess is we will see a final patch, which will fulfill only about %50 of MP promases. Infrograms offical word on it will be "well, if you don't like it than play by E-mail, hotseat, or LAN".

For most gammers those options are not favorable.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:47   #74
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
And if you spent more time listening to people who know how to make it go, and less time ranting, you would probably have some fun and find that yes, Virginia, it does work.

Found a guy last night who is about 300 miles from me. Played for several hours Simultaneous. It was like SP with a time clock.
I just finished 1.5 hrs of simultaneous game. was pretty enjoyable, of course, moreso since I won

but I guess I'm just lucky.

Oh, played a guy from NY, I'm in MO, not sure how far away that is, 800 miles? was ok speed wise, combat was a little dicey, but that was becasue I was atttacking on one continent and loading more troops in my home continent.

Please read the readme. And there are people here that can help you. While I haven't messed with my system for this game, I have had problems with games in the past. A screw up with red alert forced me to format my harddrive. So I feel for those who can't get it to work right away.

And a patch is on the way. Patience.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:52   #75
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Flesh Reaver
Ok, Ok....

So all you diehard Firaxis lovers are yelling about how all we have to do is wait for a patch. This is a bunch of bull, but i would be satisfied with that.

Except for the fact that MP is SO screwed up that I doubt any patch in the future is going to bring it fully up to standards. If it was minor bugs, no problem, patchs would fix it to %100.

My concern is that the patches are going to get it up to the point where you can maybe play 4 ppl with some lag involved. Then we will stop seeing patches because the core of the program is so screwed that no amount of patching will bring us up to %100 percent.

My guess is we will see a final patch, which will fulfill only about %50 of MP promases. Infrograms offical word on it will be "well, if you don't like it than play by E-mail, hotseat, or LAN".
I understand your concerns

did you get civ3 on release?
that wasnt' a pretty sight either, but it was patched to the state it is in now, which is an improvement

Also, I think the simul and turnless modes are glitchy because they were trying to squeeze a square tbs into a round rts. So a few problems were to be expected (at least by me)

I think there were 3 or 4 patches released before PTW, so I would expect they would do what it takes. Hopefully to the point where it is as advertised.

(wonder what it would have been like to play before the patch released 3 days ago )
Old November 2, 2002, 18:56   #76
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Flesh Reaver
Infogrames has their money. They don't have to make any patches. Firaxis will, because they actually believe in their products. Call me a fanboy if you want but I believe that.
Old November 2, 2002, 22:59   #77
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I assume this comment was directed at me. There's no need to get nasty. If you've been looking at my posts, you'll see that I'm very far from ranting anymore. However, sometimes it doesn't work for me. Sorry to say, but I've tried everything. But at least I (unlike other "ranters") am hopeful. I also hope to play you someday nye!

Speaking of which, I'd love to play an entire MP game sometime (most people quit after around an hour, lag or no). 'Poly looks like the best place to find dedicated players. Anyone interested, let me know.

Edit: Strike that last request. Just go to the 'Multiplaying' forum here on 'Poly and sign up on nye's thread.

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; November 3, 2002 at 00:02.
Old November 2, 2002, 23:38   #78
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

No Dominae, not at you.

I look forward to seeing you on the wrong side of the Legions one day.
Old November 3, 2002, 00:00   #79
Dominae
Emperor

Oh, sorry nye, guess I'm a little defensive tonight...

Dominae
Old November 3, 2002, 01:25   #80
MaXXXXXuM
Settler

Highly Dissapointed
I agree with [FX]Roman, I too am highly dissapointed with this game. Multiplayer is totally unplayable at this point, and thats why I bought it :/ Feels almost like robbery since EB doesnt take software back anymore... just exchange for the same game... Betcha Firaxis is laughing their way to the bank...
Old November 3, 2002, 01:40   #81
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Re: Highly Dissapointed
Quote:
Originally posted by MaXXXXXuM
I agree with [FX]Roman, I too am highly dissapointed with this game. Multiplayer is totally unplayable at this point, and thats why I bought it :/ Feels almost like robbery since EB doesnt take software back anymore... just exchange for the same game... Betcha Firaxis is laughing their way to the bank...
I doubt Firaxis is laughing. I'm pretty sure that they're working they're asses off trying to fix the problem

Now infogrames, now thats another story. they're saying Oui oui all the way to the banque.
Old November 3, 2002, 09:32   #82
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Re: Re: Highly Dissapointed
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

I doubt Firaxis is laughing. I'm pretty sure that they're working they're asses off trying to fix the problem

Now infogrames, now thats another story. they're saying Oui oui all the way to the banque.
I agree with that. Is Infogreed French? It would explain a lot
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 4, 2002, 17:10   #83
[FX]Roman
Chieftain

I just cant believe that the game was shipped in its current state. Dont both sides have to make the choice to say Aye or Nay?

If that is the case, they are both equal evils.
Old November 4, 2002, 17:57   #84
WarpStorm
King

Not really. Infogrames probably 'owns' Civ3:PTW and can ship it when they feel like.
Old November 4, 2002, 19:07   #85
Zurai
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by [FX]Roman
I just cant believe that the game was shipped in its current state. Dont both sides have to make the choice to say Aye or Nay?

If that is the case, they are both equal evils.
Nope. When you're dealing with one of the big publishing companies (infogrames, vivendi, interplay, microsoft) if they say it ships on such and such a date, it'll ship then or you'll be out of a job. About the only people immune to that is Blizzard, since they're basically their own publisher. Officially Vivendi publishes their games, but most of the work is done in-house.
Old November 4, 2002, 20:05   #86
[FX]Roman
Chieftain

Ahh, I see, thank you.

Well, then in that case, they are retards for publishing it in such a state.
Old November 4, 2002, 20:12   #87
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by [FX]Roman
Ahh, I see, thank you.

Well, then in that case, they are retards for publishing it in such a state.
Who is the retard, the one that published the game, or the one who bought the game knowing their game release history.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 4, 2002, 20:17   #88
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Corruption/Lag
Hi!

Everybody already read what was been say in the PTW: Release Party (hahahah, i'm sure Firaxis did not find this party so funny) by Jeff Morris:

"We`re aware that the gamespy connection stuff is problematic right now and it`s the focus of our team. "

It's the same word used by Civilization3 to describe corruption in Monarchy...

Did you think the word "problematic" is exact, when you compare the lag and the corruption under a monarchic governement.

Ciao, have a nice day!

And wish that a patch will be release soon!

Do you think the future patch will fix Lag? Cause the lag is pretty big? I've read many post to know how to fix the lag, and I never succeed to have a good game with low ping. I succeed one times, 2 players with 2 computers, but it was laggy, slow, like if i had only 32 meg ram with a Penthium 266...(i'm modem cable, 512 ram, and AMD 1.1MHZ)..
But, when i play medal of honor with 20 players on Gamespy with no lag at all, I just keep asking myself how Firaxis can release the game with so much lag?

But I play a very good game in LAN....
Wish the patch release soon...

CrONoS_QC(if anyone live near Montreal, contact me at dominic_doucet@hotmail.com)
Old November 4, 2002, 20:50   #89
[FX]Roman
Chieftain

I thougt the release of Civ3 was pretty good since I have never used Monarchy, ever.

Did you just call me a retard?
Old November 4, 2002, 21:47   #90
notyoueither
Deity

FXR, I think so...

cronos_qc, register over here:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=66191

There is someone registered from Montreal, and a couple nearby (Boston, New York).