Old October 31, 2002, 23:50   #1
Obese Monkfish
Settler

Local Time: 10:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Describe your multiplayer PTW experiences.
I want to find out if I am the only one having bad amounts of lag.

Game 1.
3 people. All say they have 1.04f. All pings consistantly <200. Turnless. It took around 3 sec for any input into the game to register. I'd press the up arrow, 3 sec later, the guy moves. I'd click on a city, 3 sec later, the screen comse up. Absolutely unplayable.

Game 2.
2 people. All say they have 1.04f. All pings <300. Turn based (thought maybe turnless was laggy). Exact same thing.

Game 3.
2 people. All say they have 1.04f. I disabled my firewall. All pings<200. Turn based. Same thing.

What's going ON here? This is unplayable as is. Anyone tried LAN games? Are they any better?

I am trying to keep my spirits up...
Old November 1, 2002, 06:20   #2
Huzurdaddi
Settler

Game 1. 7 poeple Game crashes.
Game 2. 7 people game crashes.
Game 3. 7 people game crashes.
Game 4 2 people, game actually launches. Insanely laggy. Crazy laggy. All cpu bound. And this is with a 1.7 GHz Machine. Game unsyncs after 15 turns!

Easily THE WORST LAUNCH IN 2002. You in the prize fraxis. Well done.
Old November 1, 2002, 07:24   #3
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Local Time: 05:11
*Sigh*

As I told you in the lobby Mall Tycoon Is the worst Release of 2002.

Anyways. I have had about 15 attempts, and 1.5 successes. I had one game where we actually got to about 2470 before I got the Civ3x.exe error. Then tried a few more times the someone else and I got a game running and it went well. I think he retired and forgot to warn me though. We made it to nearly the AD times with excelerated start and playing at the fastest speed (too fast). There was absolutly no lag at all. I felt kinda bad cause if we would have went on he would have won in the end . Probably

That was a fun game. I hope they fix it so it will work out like that everytime .
Old November 1, 2002, 08:41   #4
werdhertz
Chieftain

all crashes, freezes, or lag. ive had no successful MP game yet... sigh.. i hate complaining so i will say the new single player additions are great. very great.
Old November 1, 2002, 10:28   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:11
Game 1: Played a simultaneous game against someone down the hall for 20 minutes before going to class. Worked just fine, no lag or anything.
Old November 1, 2002, 12:09   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:11
I'm getting ratther annoyed with the city build queue and science/research.

What I mean is everytime a city completes what is in its build queue, it automatically starts building something else on it's own. I have to manually open up the city screen and place a new item to be biult in its queue (if I don't like what is automatically swiched to - which is 99% of the time)...but I can live with this. My main gripe is with the science. After I discover a new advance, it automatically swiches to something else - without EVER asking me what I want to reasearch next! I have gone into "preferences" to see if Ineed to toggle something on or off - but could not find anything that would effect this.

Has anybody else experienced this same annoying "feathure"?

Last edited by Wittlich; November 1, 2002 at 12:42.
Old November 1, 2002, 12:13   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Re: Describe your multiplayer PTW experiences.
Quote:
Originally posted by Obese Monkfish
Anyone tried LAN games? Are they any better?

I am trying to keep my spirits up...
Actually, the game my roommate and I played last night was a LAN game - we played for over 3 hours before going to bed without any proplems...sure there is a "slight" lag even on LAN, but it worked fine. By the way we played regular turn-based turns - we figured for our first game we didn't want anything too fancy!
Old November 1, 2002, 12:40   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well, I just played about 25 minutes of a single player PTW game...and the city pop-ups and science worked fine... so maybe there was something in the preferences that was turned on/off without me realizing it. I'll have to try and see when my partner and I play again tonight.
Old November 1, 2002, 13:11   #9
Zamphyr
Settler

Wittlich, I remember erading in one of the chats that they were removing most of the pop-ups/adivsors to speed multilpayer gameplay. I agree, I miss the science advisor. As for cities, use the build queue. Or instead of clicking into the city, right-mouse-click change city production. Vital for turnless games on LAN!
Old November 1, 2002, 13:26   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Thanks for the insight Zamphyr, at least now when my partner and I start up again tonight, I will not be worrying about something (science advisor) that I cannot change.
Old November 1, 2002, 15:11   #11
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

PTW experience
I am unable to even consider launching a game... I cannot even register a ping rate.

As far as I know, I am within all system requirements and I get nothing. I am not at the speed everyone else is at... so I understand it would probably be a supremely laggy game, but if I were to be able to start one up, I would count that as a success.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 1, 2002, 15:16   #12
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I agree, The cities and science switching to something else was annoying. In one city I had 6 pikemen cuz I was busy doing other stuff, which wasnt all bad since my king was there, but not that necessary because my opponent was on another continent. I have never used queues, automated workers etc before. Ill have to do this often on any game with turn time limits.

I noted this problem was occuring more often once I got into the middle ages (simul tiny map normal turn rate).
Old November 1, 2002, 15:39   #13
Raion
Prince

Can't one set the default city manager like in the single player game, that defaults new cities having a govenor like the Capitol city of the Civ.
In single player, one has to set that up first, by setting it all to "None" when the game starts, or as a Preference in the game, one is playing.

Old November 1, 2002, 17:43   #14
Edgar Newt
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMBtS Tri-League
Chieftain

Describe your MP PTW experiences?
Nonexistant.

But not without trying and trying and trying and trying....
Old November 2, 2002, 03:31   #15
Obese Monkfish
Settler

Well I had a successful (kind of) game. 1 on 1, ping was 75, Turnless. Lag was still moderately bad, far worse than singler player, but it was playable. Perhaps 1/2 sec delay from clicking city until city screen came up, etc. Finally I got astronomy and sailed to his island and captured a city. And then...right when my spearemen had fended off all sorts of musketeers...PTW crashed.

Lovely.
Old November 2, 2002, 04:44   #16
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:11
Argh
Old November 2, 2002, 06:03   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Will someone hit me if I say I had a great game tonight?

/me ducks.

It was a total fluke. I started wanting to help person A. person B and C popped in. The pings looked good. OK. I locked it.

Person C was not patched. He left to patch. That left me and B. I figured WTH. Might as well. Launched.

It was flawless with 0 lag. Turns out he is relatively close to me in Canada.

Twas a great game. I overcame all odds to... you don't want to hear it.
Old November 2, 2002, 08:03   #18
xydarcher
Settler

Local Time: 22:11
1.I was behind a proxy(set in IE) that i can only play lan game but internet game.What can i do(how to setup my computer)?
2.If I want to play by email,where can i set my email address?
Old November 2, 2002, 13:09   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by xydarcher
If I want to play by email,where can i set my email address?
It is all explained how to do this on page 40-41 in the PTW Manual.

Concerning your Proxy - I don't have a clue.
Old November 2, 2002, 16:14   #20
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:11