Old November 1, 2002, 00:13   #1
trevor
Warlord

Local Time: 05:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Political Parties
I was just wondering, seeing as I haven't been able to participate in a while, what are the current political parties of the game and a short description of each. And please, no fighting or bickering about who's position is better or any of that nosense; just the facts.
Thanks
Old November 1, 2002, 00:30   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The Democratic Industrialists of Apolyton (DIA) and the Hawks have each survived so far. Both are relatively weak in that there memberships are quite small compared to the overall population of people in the game.

Though not all the Hawks agree on every area of policy, the Hawks seem generally dedicated to advancing the nation primarly (though certainly not entirely) through the conquest of neighboring nations. Many Hawks support (or at least do not actively oppose) at least some limited periods of peaceful infrastructure development as necessary to create a successful industrial base for pressing continued war.

Same goes with the DIA in terms of not everyone agreeing, but the DIA seems generally dedicated to advancing the nation through peaceful development (specificially concentrating our resources on building city improvements and additional workers for tile improvements). The DIA is not opposed to all war no matter what, but seems to limitedly support war (or at least not actively oppose it) when certain strategic goals can be met through a specific war (such obtaining our golden age or obtaining certain luxuries, wonders, or strategic resources).

While other "parties" and "fronts" exist, the are mostly used for role play only and most of them are dedicated to one form of government in the game (pro-democracy, etc.).

I hope that's a fair way to answer that...

EDIT: Grammar
Old November 1, 2002, 00:43   #3
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 10:11
An excellent explanation Arnelos!.
Old November 1, 2002, 13:44   #4
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

There is an obvious void between the positions of Hawk & DIA that could be filled, except that people in support of that have already feel in control and so haven't bothered to organize.

That group wanting Democracy would make more sense if they was a group activately opposed to switching to it right after the GA ends.
Old November 1, 2002, 16:36   #5
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 06:11
Quote:
That group wanting Democracy would make more sense if they was a group activately opposed to switching to it right after the GA ends.
That group would be the Democratic movement of Apolytonia, and you are right, we want to switch to democracy as soon as GA ends. The thing to remember is: We are a temporary special intrest group, and will probably disband after we get Democracy (That is, unless there are people adamently opposed to democracy and we have to keep fighting for it!)
Old November 1, 2002, 17:13   #6
trevor
Warlord

That's very helpful because I've seen a bunch of other people with party names in their sigs and quotes and didn't know what they meant, thanks Arnelos. Actaully, I think I'm still a member of the DIA.
Old November 1, 2002, 19:31   #7
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
Of course you are trevor. We need you. Uncle Sam needs you too, so we don't mind too much if you aren't terribly active in the DIA.
Old November 1, 2002, 20:27   #8
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:11
parties
perhaps there will actually be a use for the d*mn parties when we split up into teams and it becomes brother against brother. No one flinches much when we annihilate AI teams but annihilating a human team (and humans you know generally) may give the parties a platform for actual issues.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 2, 2002, 00:52   #9
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Re: parties
Quote:
Originally posted by ruby_maser
perhaps there will actually be a use for the d*mn parties when we split up into teams and it becomes brother against brother. No one flinches much when we annihilate AI teams but annihilating a human team (and humans you know generally) may give the parties a platform for actual issues.
This also invites the possibility for international political establishments and movements... inter-party associations, etc.

You could even have a situation like the Protocol of Trapeou (I know I butchered the spelling... I'm trying to remember the word from my European History class 5 years ago!) under Prince von Meternich of Austria.... where in the early 1800's (after Napoleon's loss), the reigning conservative monarchies of Europe used the "Congress of Europe" system to cooperate across the continent on squashing nationalist and republican/liberal insurgencies and revolutions... So you had Russian troops helping with insurgencies in Belgium and Austrian troops marching around Italy to stop nationalist and/or republican/liberal insurgencies.

Conversely, you could have a Trotskyite movement in the industrial era pushing for univeral communism... or even something like the RL "Liberal International" (an association of all liberal parties around the world) or the equivalent associations for other parties (there's one for social democratic parties I think, not to mention Commiturn under the soviets, etc, etc, etc.).

That said, it may not develop, either... Personally, I'd rather be a member of a team/civ which had a little bit more discipline about how "politics ends at the border/shores". But hey... the role-playing would be fun.
Old November 2, 2002, 05:05   #10
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:11
There is no doubt as to the many many new issues that are going to be raised, regarding PTW....human vs. human play. There will be a heck of alot of new roleplay opportunites, as well as all the above mention of 'social movements' and radical parties, etc etc. I'm getting really anxious for all this.