Old November 11, 2002, 13:47   #61
Flatlander Fox
Civilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 11:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm trying a duel tonight, which is the only way I've heard that the game will work.

Why is it that for the last week or so, NOBODY from Firaxis has said a thing.

Even after the release of the original game, there were quite a few problems, and they were still visible.

Now, nothing.
Old November 11, 2002, 14:42   #62
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 05:11
They may not be posting as much now as they did right after the release, but they are reading the threads. The feature that mods use to track what people are doing on the site at any given time (a useful feature) has shown me that many members of the Firaxis team are online and constantly checking threads in the PTW and Multiplay forums. But Firaxis is well known for not saying much until they have something definitive to say... which isn't that bad of an idea
Old November 11, 2002, 17:12   #63
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:11
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Thanks to all the GREAT comments here,
No problem buddy

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 11, 2002, 17:40   #64
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
@ horse

good one dad

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old November 11, 2002, 20:33   #65
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
i have the game, a legit copy but have yet to really try it out....it works perfectly with my perfect warez civ3 copy which i burned to disk

the new stuff in SP mode is nice...glad at least one copy of civ 3 was paid for....i firmly don't believe in wasting my money on two copies, so for someone to buy me civ3 ptw works perfectly........

now i need to get that collecters tin
Old November 12, 2002, 21:36   #66
Nicosar
Chieftain

Want to hear the truth about PTW, nothing held back?:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=36250

But we men like to argue with debates and not spammy little driblets to carry our points, so, if your eyes are tender, you may feel assaulted by the amount of words... in which case itd be better if you go lie down and rest.

hyia Bucephalus! ; )
Old November 12, 2002, 22:04   #67
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Nicosar i agree entirely
Old November 12, 2002, 22:41   #68
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicosar

But we men like to argue with debates and not spammy little driblets to carry our points, so, if your eyes are tender, you may feel assaulted by the amount of words... in which case itd be better if you go lie down and rest.

hyia Bucephalus! ; )
we men!!!

Why don't you post this in the Civ 3 forum here?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 13, 2002, 03:38   #69
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 12:11
Quote:

hyia Bucephalus! ; )
Can we get a ****er smilie?
Old November 13, 2002, 03:47   #70
Nicosar
Chieftain

A subtle way to say the posts are long, word-police...

But wait! i believe somewhere in the internet right now someone might be making a similar analogy that would equally disturb you! QUICK! To the loser-mobile!

(not trying to fight, but any good jokster never passes up such a prime opportunity) 8 )

Last edited by Nicosar; November 13, 2002 at 16:41.
Old November 13, 2002, 18:21   #71
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 10:11
Well, it is called Civfanatics for a reason!

I just read that eloquent thread. It's been awhile since I've seen those sort of posts. You wouldn't know someone by the name of Yin26 would you!?

But coming back to the difference between Civ2MP and Civ3 (PTW) I would have to state that Civ2 is more " pure" than Civ3. Civ3 introduced a number of interesting features but mananged to break the Civ-gaming formula in the process.

Civ2 was fine when it came out of the box. The mechanism was very similar to Civ1 but introduced some new features: hitpoints/firepower, advisors (come one, everybody thought they were funny), some new WoW's all of which enhanced the game but didn't get in the way. The Civ2 gamebalance was perfect. The fact that the same rules.txt is still unchanged 6 years later is proof of that.

This is not the case with Civ3 which still had major rule problems to be fixed after the game was released (anyone remember the lumberjack strategy?).

It shouldn't be left to the players to fix Civ3 themselves. It should have been play balanced from the start...
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old November 14, 2002, 00:20   #72
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
They may not be posting as much now as they did right after the release, but they are reading the threads. The feature that mods use to track what people are doing on the site at any given time (a useful feature) .... edit
This is a bit invasive isn't it?

Does it only work with those of us that have subscribed here?

I don't like it.
Old November 14, 2002, 12:11   #73
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by deity
I don't like it.
Tough Noogies.

It's very useful when you have known trouble makers acting up. You can respond almost as quickly as they post. (which for me, I don't use it very often) For the real paranoids out there, there is usually no reason to check it to see what you're doing.

The only other reason I use it is to see if someone is on-line if I'm looking for a game, but there are many other ways to accomplish that. (including the new group listing or even just checking the member list)

RAH
Old November 14, 2002, 12:19   #74
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

It's not like they have a camera in your room or anything......they can just see what you are doing at 'poly. I really don't see the problem.
Old November 14, 2002, 12:29   #75
rah
lifer
Just another peon

And if your cookies aren't loaded you just show up as a "guest", one of hundreds.
Old November 14, 2002, 12:35   #76
DrSpike
Deity

Not so much Big Brother as little third cousin twice removed.
Old November 14, 2002, 15:35   #77
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa

Can we get a ****er smilie?
Geez, even w.anker is not allowed

Nicosar, I suggest you follow a course in IMAP.

Do you blame people for falling asleep when they have to read through a paragraph like this? :

Quote:
THE POINT TO ALL THIS??!! ....is that one day, fellow 'strategists', there will indeed be a next-generation game of this high-caliber sort, and not too far away either, since we humans are fond of evolving and improving all the things we know quite rapidly, and you all who sit there CONTENT, surprisingly, to move your 'army bricks' in mundane clashing against each other with no control over them will one day inevitably find yourself playing this futuristic non-existent-as-of-yet game of wonder and leaving all these past trifling checker boards behind. Of course, your mind will not be so ready for it, apparently, as is obvious by your comments, and I will win: because my mind craves strategy, not 'familiarity', and the 'standards of civ' which you so warmly embrace in comfort, and so even if i was that naively proud king with his archers and pikemen i would win: i woud merely have shields placed at all the men's feet, unseen to the enemy, which could nullify all missiles by such mounted bowmen, and i would then have armies led by my generals which had gone far ahead to the left and right with an aim to cut back and surround the enemy unexpectedly, who fled with haste after all their arrows were spent to no effect. You though, do not think this way, and would not make such calculations. This is because, unfortunately, you choose to be stuck in brick mentality. How would I know about their weaponry in advance? Because i sent scouts, of course, i fancy myself a good tactician, but alas! even if you send scouts in civ 3, it avails you not... so what if you know what units they have?! HAHAHA, your army, AND THEIRS, are just two homogenous chunks of generically formationed fodder troops which must inevitably clash, oddly by some strange sort of agreement which requires that both parties array themselves in a PERFECT line and rush headlong at each other...but no! WAIT!! Its not even as complex as this, im afraid, no, no, hahahaha, since apparently one side makes a foolish and fatal agreement, apparently by a chowder-headed chief, and with superly loyal troops who would not mutiny at being sent to their death, that even though their forces and units match EXACTLY their enemy's, that they will sit perfectly still, in that vulnerable, bland and patterneless line, and 'defend' themselves; an act, if they are 'offensive' units, which is strangely not as effective as if they were the ones charging!... even though they use the same weapons and fighting techniques in both maneouvers.....hmmmm...quite strange, yes, odd indeed.....
The point of this obviously drug inspired waterfall of words is that you are the real strategist and others will loose to you?

Could have put that down in 10 words instead of 200.

From the same post:

Quote:
Listen; one day a game will come out, hopefully mine, since I am designing one, and it will be in 3D. It will be in Real Time. It will be a virtual environment.
If you want to write a game wouldnt it be better to learn about game strategy and game dynamics first instead of writing down pages of nonsence in forum?
Old November 14, 2002, 16:08   #78
Nicosar
Chieftain

heheh...well maybe if i was talking about an uncostomized default game of 2x2x duel civ, the pits of strategy gaming, then perhaps 10 words would suffice to explain it, sure....

But otherwise, and ESPECIALLY when trying to explain to thick-headed people (go back and read that thread, youll see the staunch cranial resistance im up against) AND youre trying to teach the children about things theyve never even HEARD of before.... a good sermon is needed to yolk them into submission! 8D

....And if you go back, also pay attention to the way that this was successfully done....youll notice we're onto other topics now since all those lug-heads left that old issue as resolved, and undeniably so.
Old November 14, 2002, 16:33   #79
atawa
King

Quote:
heheh...well maybe if i was talking about an uncostomized default game of 2x2x duel civ, the pits of strategy gaming, then perhaps 10 words would suffice to explain it, sure....
Any other settings you'd like your arse kicked?
It amazes me how someone who doesnt even have the basics down in regular civ thinks he can design a modpack.

Or was that just so you could beat AI?

Quote:
But otherwise, and ESPECIALLY when trying to explain to thick-headed people (go back and read that thread, youll see the staunch cranial resistance im up against) AND youre trying to teach the children about things theyve never even HEARD of before.... a good sermon is needed to yolk them into submission! 8D
Put them to sleep sounds more like it.

Quote:
....And if you go back, also pay attention to the way that this was successfully done....youll notice we're onto other topics now since all those lug-heads left that old issue as resolved, and undeniably so.
Sure they didnt went ?
Old November 14, 2002, 20:40   #80
Nicosar
Chieftain

still mad about that game atawa?

Well, obviously.... 8)

yes i know, i maybe over-reacted a bit when i quit our ill-fated 2x2x duel so rashly like that, but you must understand, this master is only human! it was the culmination of weeks worth of dealing with a civ community (several communities, actually) utterly devoid of good taste in games, and your moody-teen little attitude only helped to quicken my frustration on that day.... well, thats not fair to you, youre all playing and discussing civ 2, after all, the greatest game, but if I were also to be fair to civ itself, than i would have to say that most people here were at the bottom scale of it, given that this scale is wide indeed....

You have no idea what its like to play a long drawn out game on a great optimized gameboard designed for more realism above all else with many people, not having to worry about keeping up in the pursuit of ridiculous wonders or worrying about your units becoming obsolete overquick; its hardcore strategy, none of this hut crap either.

This is, infamously, my master gameboard i so boastfully recommend, but since i have not been able to put an image up or the like people cannot see first hand its overwhelming almost alien-like (superior aliens) superiority over the default version you all revel in naively.

You want to play my game? I dont play anything else.

Call it cowardice to face you in your decrepid arena, call it merely 'specialized' mastery, call it an excuse, call it whatever.

I call it boredom with inferiority.
Old November 14, 2002, 23:29   #81
Flatlander Fox
Prince

Played a couple games today, all with good ping...

I was completely frustrated by the fact that the lag was so bad (With only two players and 2 AI) that I couldn't really get the feel for the game.

The person to person negotiating is a bit bulky in my opinion, it will take a LONG time to get things worked out under the present system.

We turned off all animations, and it still lagged pretty bad. I am not sure if the GameSpy(Ware) causes it or what the hell it is, but it was bad. Wierd I was hosting, and the guy on the other side said his lag was not too terrible, but that's a matter of opinion.

In one game I managed to get a decent tech lead on my opponent, but that was mainly through trading with the AI. I didn't really notice a penalty for being in the lead with tech, but I was starting to hum along pretty good until I had more units then I could possibly move before the timer ran out!

If anyone's interested in a game just let me know... I am just testing it out now, but I have heard rumblings that the 1.05 version is going to be better...

Geez, look what we are reduced to.
Old November 15, 2002, 18:18   #82
rah
lifer
Just another peon

FF, have you tried to play without the SPYWARE?
People are reporting much quicker response times without it.
Old November 15, 2002, 21:08   #83
Flatlander Fox
Prince

I haven't seen a direct IP connect yet, and the MP lobby built in the game is still "powered by gamespy(ware).
Old November 16, 2002, 08:26   #84
DrSpike
Deity

I don't understand this..........I saw a thread saying PTW MP worked if you didn't use gamespy, but as I understand it the direct connection isn't implemented yet.
Old November 16, 2002, 18:38   #85
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes, from reading the posts in the other forum, it does sound like you can play without it.
Old November 16, 2002, 19:20   #86
DrSpike
Deity

So why the fevered anticipation of implementation of direct connection if you can already bypass gamespy?
Old November 17, 2002, 05:33   #87
Flatlander Fox
Prince

I haven't seen any option like that in the menu at all...

And reading thru the posts, I think they mean thru the regular lobby you can access in the game itself, not the game spy(ware) site.

And that's what I was using and it was STILL laggy as heck...

I'd like to try it with someone closer as Toronto or Baltimore next time though, maybe I can get better response times...
Old November 17, 2002, 10:03   #88
DrSpike
Deity

I read some more; there is an informative topped thread.

Additionally, if you're using the in-game matchmaking system (accessable via the 'Multipayer' menu item), you're still using GameSpy tech as a matchmaking solution BTW. Infogrames and Firaxis have licensed our tech to allow you to find opponents in-game without needing to run an external matchmaking application.

So that answers the question, and the next patch is allegedly likely to sort out the lag issues.

One factor which I think is relevant here - all the talk of problems just playing the game have crowded out much of the usual balance wars.

I did see a few threads *****ing about resources though.......I did wonder whether something would be done to stop resources deciding games.
Old November 17, 2002, 16:44   #89
Flatlander Fox
Prince

That's an interesting point...

Balance will be a real pain in the a$$ when you can actually PLAY the game...

The Ottomans will be a tough neighbor indeed...

My style of play will change immensely, only because of the worker guarding and the like...

But I fear the warrior rushing will be the tactic of choice...
Old November 19, 2002, 02:32   #90
Nicosar
Chieftain

it takes a lot of work, but when i was still playing civ 3 (short stint though it was) i got fed up with the random maps so i made my own, which for a huge 40,000 sq. map is a sizeable undertaking, but that way only uranium and oil and similarly rare (in the real world) things are limited... yeah, it sucks, but if you want high quality from civ you have to put in much work yourself... so is the way with civ 2, though, so, nothing new in this regard...

....except that with civ 3 you cant get as high a quality as with its poppa, # 2, no matter how much work you put in....