Old November 24, 2002, 17:02   #91
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've been preparing my character for a transformation into a power hungry fascist who believes the best thing for Apolyton and its people is for him to be sole and all-powerful ruler. Perhaps some kind of calamity (disease, natural disaster, invasion, lose war, etc.) could set scene for power struggle between loyalists, army, republicans, and all the other factions for control of Apolyton. maybe we could win the war with England but then the ex-Apolytonian armies and generals of the former english territories would secede from Apolyton and their could be another series of alliances etc. Maybe it could be a peaceful time initially and sort of a cultural rennaissance but then their is economic competition between world powers, kind of expansion struggles like 16th through 19th century European colonization. Maybe a combination of one or more of those. Perhaps we should jump forward 20 or 50 or 100 years and resume there.
Old November 24, 2002, 20:13   #92
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 05:11
colonial competition would be hard, as the whole world as already been settled by various major civilizations.
but a multi-faction civil war could be fun could be known as the Period of Anarchy.

-Mellian
Old November 24, 2002, 21:56   #93
foolish_icarus
King

colonialism may not be best option, but it wouldn't be impossible. Certainly even though map shows entire world as claimed, there have got to be parts that are only losely held or entirely uninhabited or civilizations that are weaker--and ready to be conquered/exploited etc.
Old November 24, 2002, 22:33   #94
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:11
I think we should have a civil war which results in a draw but really a loss for both sides because we lose cities to another nation.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old November 24, 2002, 23:04   #95
foolish_icarus
King

I like civman's idea. "the time of opression" or some such thing. maybe even have to have a government-in-exile in the former english cities. wouldn't that be ironic.
Old November 24, 2002, 23:27   #96
Mellian
Queen

who would be the conquerors then? could have various nations having a interest in Apolyton, by helping out one faction or the other... to the point where one or two factions gets military help, holding on the cities they took for the faction.

Also, even with a lot of losses, our military is still strong.

-Mellian
Old November 25, 2002, 01:40   #97
Sheep
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesNationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:11
In hindsight I reckon it would of been better if we had WW2 level technology. That way we would all know what we were talking about, and could make more intricate plots up. Terrorism, Espionage, Modern Warfare and etc would all be more intresting a faster paced.
Old November 25, 2002, 01:47   #98
Sheep
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesNationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton University
King

THE SRA IS PLANNING THE WAR OF REPUBLIUCANISM. It has the support of England, France, Russia, China, Japan, Turkey and Rome, and the moral support of Germany to form a Republican regime headed by the exled leader Liam Sheep.

(Sheep is currenly in hiding in either Japan or China, but both governments deny this. His training camps are in full swing and all they need is a General, Colonel Cognac may be this leader, as he is now under my custody. THE REVOLUTION IS TO BEGIN.

PS. Although I have a small Republican NAvy, the foregin help will be mostly naval and arms production.

The terms are to be for the nations helping us.

Engalnd: To regain their cities and to have us help them divide America.
France: MPP and 100 gold over 2 years
Russia: MPP and 100 gold over 2 years
Germany: MPP
Turkey: Peace. MPP, and ROP
Rome: MPP, Help against Cathrage
China: MPP, Most favoured trading status 50 gold and a iron colony in Apolyton.
Japan: MPP, Most favoured trading status, 50 gold
Old November 25, 2002, 11:37   #99
Mellian
Queen

Umm, Sheep, can't have all sort of nations...especially with those we don't have much contact with...to a support a republic movementr, even a militant one. Only nations that will support a republic movement is the nations that have republic governments, like America, Greece and France.

Anyway, your overstepping your bounds, again. no way you can get so powerful so quickly hun.

This is for the STORY, not to win. Keep that in mind when you post ideas and story posts. Powergaming and ubering aren't allowed.

-Mellian
Old November 25, 2002, 12:41   #100
Mellian
Queen

anyway, one thing i can agree is to possibly timewarp, but won't do so if NOT everyone agrees to it.

maybe timewarp to 1800, to the industrial era, where we will have calvary, rifleman, artillery and the beginning age of Ironclads. we can agree on a situation, and write up summaries of what happened in the last 400 years....where Apolyton could of collapsed into anarchy, plague problem, and so on. Apolyton united again by 1600, and instead of a Republic, forms a Democracy government after waging a war to remove the foreigners off Apolyton. By 1800, Apolyton becomes a major power again.

Meanwhile, Russia as taken over Mongolia in a war which the Mongols as being part of Apolyton Alliance. Aztecs conquered Inca (who broken from the Aztecs in the ancient era), being in superior in tech in comparison (thanks to the boost in techs from Apolyton). Rome, Greece and Babylon took over Carthage and seperate the territories among themselves. Russia later attempts to take cease Celt territory and colonize it.

what people think?

Last edited by Mellian; November 25, 2002 at 12:56.
Old November 25, 2002, 12:44   #101
mmtt
Warlord

Local Time: 11:11
Well Sheep:
A medieval story can be very interesting:
-War
-Economic expansion
-Court Intrigues

As we are at the dawn of a new era
-New lands could be discovered
-Exchange with Alligator nations could start

Renaissance was an era of cultural exchange not of war. IMHO, the upcoming should be more about economy than civil wars. A civil war now would mean Apolyton destruction. We have just come through two wars.

So an era of prosperity could be nice (between 4 or 20 years).

And for last time this isn't a NES. You don't build a navy either an army...You aren't making ROP like you want. You are not leading a nation. This is a story where you are part or against Apolyton and you play one man not a civ.
Old November 25, 2002, 14:24   #102
Mellian
Queen

we can also increase the speed too, like 1 year per day, for several years? 1 month equals two hours. we can slow down once we reach another big plot

-Mellian
Old November 25, 2002, 16:06   #103
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I think 6 ,omths a day would be better.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old November 25, 2002, 16:12   #104
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

I will have to leave the story for a while (I must take 4 exams bofero Christmas... )

If any of you need/want to move for the Giovannis, go ahead, just remember that I want them back once I will get over with my exams (and if you are moving for them, do not kill them please )

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old November 25, 2002, 19:53   #105
foolish_icarus
King

I think the current time progression is best for ordinary story construction, otherwise response posts could well be years apart. However, if no new things develop soon we should jump ahead perhaps 5 or 10 years. I believe we should see what happens between now and December 1st real time and then evaluate whether or not we should continue at same pace or jump ahead. I am against jumping ahead more than 30 years. So if anyone has any big plans that they can't wait another 10 years to unveil, it would probably be a good idea to spit them out before dec. 1
Old November 25, 2002, 23:39   #106
Sheep
King

I am building a private army, which is what I can see Liam Sheep doing. I am conducting my own foreign affairs, like any other organisation not under the control of any government.

Soon the War of Republicanism will begin
Old November 26, 2002, 00:06   #107
Easthaven I
Prince

how big of an army can an exiled man create? while Undercover? This is one very difficult task. For one, you will probably have an army of different nationalities which means less patriotism and morale. Two, raising a huge army undercover will be difficult enough, especially with american CIA as well as apolyton intelligence hunting for you, it will be hard to hide an army. Three, you are an exiled man, former intelligence chief yes, but not a military general with a former army, creating an army big enough to contend against a COUNTRY'S ARMY will be difficult I would think. Just wondering how you would pull this off.
Old November 26, 2002, 00:13   #108
Sheep
King

I never said it was big. Also as I am creently sheltering in China, where Apolyton's knowledge is not known well, China thinks I am the ruler of Apolyton in exile ore something. Also seemingly as my father and his father are all memebers of the court, I would have a bit of money behind me. And money can buy you an army, of mercanaries.
Old November 26, 2002, 00:23   #109
Easthaven I
Prince

mercernaries...people who fight for money...apolytonian soldiers of the current military, fighting for country. You invade Apolyton our soldiers will have much more morale, confidence, and mission for success (they will be fighting for their families and motherland) then the invading mercenaries who are in it for the money. Now if we outnumber you and have more fighting spirit do you really think you can pull it off?
Old November 26, 2002, 00:26   #110
Sheep
King

I never said I would did, I?
Old November 26, 2002, 00:42   #111
Easthaven I
Prince

touchè...
Old November 26, 2002, 01:35   #112
Easthaven I
Prince

Maybe a quick little time warp of 6 months or so could be useful. So we could skip the reconstruction and such a little bit, get things going.
Old November 26, 2002, 02:12   #113
Apep
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:11
A time warp? Right when I started a plague?
Do I have to enter a character profile or something into the 'Great Library?'
Was that plague a good idea? Do I need to improve anything? Do I ask to many questions?
Old November 26, 2002, 02:18   #114
Mellian
Queen

Think about it Apep...with a timewarp, we can summerize that the plague as spread, killed thousands.

no, you don't need to do a character profile, but does help the other writers a bit, and the readers also, library needs to be bumped anyway, lol

-Mellian
Old November 26, 2002, 02:27   #115
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Sheep:
occ: Melian I hate to do this but hey the SRA is not under Apolyton's or your control. The other governments can be two-faced, and therefore the other governments tht I have mentioned still support me. Also I remind you that I was the Chief of Intellegience. Many spies throughout Apolyton worked for me and are still loyal to me. It would take more than a mere year to rectify this or even establish a new loyal agency.
Yes, but to simply ignore my our efforts to shut down your spy ring is powergaming

you can make your own diplomacy for your SRA, but as Gamemaster (storymaster, whatever), I still control the non-player civs reactions and i say you don't have that kind of support. Sure, you can hide in their nations, and try to do some recruiting and try to hire some mercenaries, but you won't have full governmental support from any of them, including funding. Still want to try to gain their support? then write about it bby stating your characters intentions to do so, and state how you do it and so on and i'll give you their appropriate response. Bing Bang you have bunch of international support just like that without anything to back it up in a short time doesn't work hun.

-Mellian
Old November 26, 2002, 02:47   #116
mmtt
Warlord

Well
England help: Hum maybe
Russia help: Impossible you are for republic
Germany help: impossible
Turkey?: they don't have anything to do with us and even if I don't know their government they might be against republic
Rome: We don't have anything to do with them...
China-Japan: Maybe but yet I don't see the point of building an army there. There are some 2.000 kilometers apart from Apolyton

You can't traval at light speed through this world. A caravel from Apolyton to America would take a week or maybe more.

During Middle Age, the trip from France to Alger was around a week. From Gribaltar to Jerusalem around one months or more...

You don't have any boats, you don't have any shipyards...

Mercenaries need to be paid you couldn't have more than 2 regiments even if you are super rich.

Sheep, the point of this story is to write a story about your character interacting with others or with npcs. You need to write and explain what to do. If you can't do this in a Middle Age settings, well you will have some problems.
I understand I'm overreacting and you may be offensed.
I know you can post some great things such as you did on civfanatics during JNES: Greek but it is different there. IMHO, this is a whole world running and you are just a small part of it.
---------------
Also, I don't have much time to futile posts about how to playing etc... I have also more and more works to do so I may leave soon and at least post less.

EDITED

Last edited by mmtt; November 26, 2002 at 17:35.
Old November 27, 2002, 13:53   #117
civman2000
Emperor

NOTE TO ALL: I will be gone from this evening until sunday.

Old November 30, 2002, 04:44   #118
Mellian
Queen

oookay, I see we seem to have a problem with Apep's latest post and me taking advantage. So lets discuss the matter here.... don't need to be overlly serious here, so lets solve this misunderstanding in a friendly manner.

Facts about the Sanhopi and the Sanhopi Prison to clarify...which is base from my impressions from reading the story, and some details are suggestions as an explaination:

The City of Sanhopi is currently used by the Consuls as their tempory capital, where their 3rd Army is located at as well.

Just outside of the city, there is a large old prison surrounded by a deep and wide moat, called the Sanhopi Prison. It as a bad rep, as it was used by past moderators during its century or two of existence, to lock political prisoners, important prisoner of wars, people they simply didn't like, very dangerous criminals and so on. At Present, the Consuls use it pretty much in the same manner, where they locked up most of the surviving government people, advisors and so on which they overthrew in January 1402. Also where they place anyone they believe to be a rebel, dissenters and so on. Currently being heavilly guarded by the 3rd Army and Wolf "special" soldiers. For every failed attempt by others to rescue or even send message to the prisoners, security as been increased and adapted to cover that weak points which these people use to infiltrate the place. One only learns by their mistakes...

Sanhopi is also being heavilly defended by the 3rd army, and probably martial law as been in place. The city is one of the largest coastal city in Apolyton. There is no river. Some people left the city due to the extreme security and military measures...yet many remains. The Prison could be seen from the city, meaing, it is not all that far. Prison is also not very far from the coast.

Last month, there was a failed coastal attack by a small unknown army (probably only a unit or two) from an unknown location (small island off the coast), which encourages an even more stricker military presense in the area. Interesting enough, no attempts was made by the military to check the island out. Apep I somehow escaped...which isn't impossible.

As for the Cannon attack on the Prison situation, one would think it would be impossible, but not really...... just have to better explain how it came to be.

Apep I, with some supporters, snuck into Sanhopi city, which isn't impossible...especially the size of the city. Apep I may of escaped the elimination of his army by sticking close to the beach to the Sanhopi Harbor. The Army couldn't possibly cover the whole area effectively and prevent a single person to sneak by them, depending how they do so. Once in the city, Apep I must of had some friends there too, like some sailors from the harbor. Around there, they also somehow bought a Cannon, in the "black market" of the Harbor. Unknown to Apep I, some american spies as been keeping an eye of Apep I and his supporters for some time now, so sort of encourage his latest plans by selling him a single cannon with some ammunition...which is unknown of in the black market at this point of time... of course, Apep I didn't really think about the oddness of the it. Now, we can also go into details about the kind of cannon it is...and for them to be able to sneak the cannon to the other side of the city into an abandon building, it couldn't be the army artillery type cannon, but more of a smaller Corvette cannon variety....which the americans spies cleverly acquired from the ship yards in Sanhopi or hidden from an american merchant ship's cargo dropped of at the harbor's warehouse. The cannon was then hidden in a four wheeled wagon, with bunch of other stuff un top of it. Wouldn't be very suspicious for heavily loaded wagons to traverve from the Harbor to the city's three main gates leading to the main roads. Not odd either to have warehouses near the gates either, and there may be an abandon warehouse near the gate...with the road leading towards the nearby prison, which should be in view from the building. Within the warehouse, there would be pulleys which Apep I and the sailors could have used to lift cannon to the top floor (makes more sense then the roof...warehouse about two-three floors high), where a window facing the Prison is. They could of aimed the cannon during the day and waited until night to fire it (explains the aiming part, and with the short distance from the city, lighting could still be shown at the Prison). Even for a Corvette cannon, it still as a good range. Apep I as the help of the sailors (who may have experience, or simply the know-how, of using a ship cannon). When they do fire the cannon, it catched the army by surprise, and anyone else that can hear the thing fire. Like come on, as if the Army/Guards could predict the possibility that someone would be crazy enough to use a cannon against the Prison, so Apep I and sailors would have enough time to fire a few shots (one or two of them are lucky) before the city guards and military soldiers could locate the cannon and stop them.

As for the damage the cannon as done to the Prison, well if you consider the age of the Prison, which i mentioned above to be old like maybe a century or so, and the fact that it wasn't built to be able to take cannon damage. (Reason why city walls and so on become obsoletee you know ...). Of course, the Prison could not be destroyed either by a single cannon. So only a portion of the wall, which coincendently is where Mellian's and Apep II's cells are located, collapses...especially if you hit the lower foundation part. The debry from the wall falls into the deep moat below...... as for Mellian's cell, the floor also collapsed along with everything under it.

Now, as for Mellian dissapearing....and i tell you now, she didn't escape, wasn't exactly her choice. The same american spies who sold the cannon expected Apep I to use it the same day. So they went off pertending to be guards/soldiers (as if the army can completly keep track of all his soldiers/guards and thee night helps) on patrol duty during the night (they suggested to Apep to fire at night, when Apep unwisely told them of his plans for the cannon ). They knew from previous information where Mellian was, so tried staying around that side of the Prison...where they expect the cannon to fire at. When the wall collapse, they saw mellian falling into the moat (wasn't her plan to do so), so they quickly went in to rescue her. While they did that, Army and Guards was preoccupied in getting together and figure out what happened, locate the cannon and so on.... By the time the Guards/Soldiers can focus on the Prison and hunting down some of the prisoners that escaped, american spies escape into the night with Mellian, who was unconscious at that point and suffered some minor injuries from the fall.....she almost drowned too. When Mellian woke up, she found herself in a home owned by some ARM supporters in another nearby city....
Back at the prison, like my story post says, guards/soldiers thought she was lost, drowned in the moat... as a few guards saw her fall as well....but didn't see the other "guards" jumping into the moat after her....

Now, is everyone okay with this? I explain how such a thing could happen, and added some suggestion for some detail changes by Apep to his story post as well, mentioned in my explaination. I don't godmode, and this isn't godmodding. Insulting to me for someone to even think i would do something like that. Unlike the a real godmodding cultprit, i am able to explain my actions. When i read Apep's post, i thought unlikely, but is realisticly possible...just requires a lot of luck, which Apep I & II seem to have a lot of.

As for infringing into mmtt's security and so on... they are not perfect, no matteer how many soldiers you defend the place... No way they could expect such an event, and I actually applaud Apep for such a creative unpexpected move... guards and soldiers are not perfect either... even the "special jack of all trades" wolf soldiers. I can accuse mmtt and so on attempts to make an impenetrable and invincible army/security which limits other writers options of what they can do and then say no they cannot do that because of this and that as godmodding as well. I don't like arguments, and i do believe we can work things out. Just a story people, and don't need to go to the extreme on realism... actually, real life isn't extreme reaslitic either nothing goes our way. If the triumvate can surprise everyone by overthrowing the government and taken power (which i could have challenged it on many grounds for being unrealistic, but didn't to allow the story go on and being friendly and fun). Now, are you okay with the explaination above? did your character loose anything worth wild at that prison? is it a big deal that Mellian apparently died (but isn't really...) and that Apep 2 escaped?

Of course, i also suggest that writers avoid getting such dangerous stuff like this without talking with the other writers or/and the story moderator, moi., in the future. As for Apep I escape, thats is a bit hard to believe, base on how Apep made it to be. By that point, Military is swarming the area where the Cannon as been located. Also, there is not river at Sanhopi.

can we move on now?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sanhopi.gif
Views:	17
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	30397  

Last edited by Mellian; November 30, 2002 at 04:50.
Old November 30, 2002, 17:24   #119
Apep
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:11
Firstly, I would like to apoligise for my post, at the time, I thought it possible (I still do, really).
Considering how close Sanhopi is to the sea I would expect that the moat (which has to flow out somewhere) would probably discharge into the sea.
You are right that Apep I shouldn't have been able to escape in that manner, but I figured the warehouse was taller than the surrounding buildings and I stole the escape route from 'The Silver Sword' and it was perfectly possible there. Also, I have thrown both my characters into the 'moat's discharge' and I hope to kill off one of them in some exciting way, soon. OK?
Old November 30, 2002, 18:52   #120
Mellian
Queen

i'll wait for mmtt's and easthaven's response to this possible explaination and compromise before i go on.

-Mellian