Old November 1, 2002, 12:54   #1
DJ RRebel
Settler

Local Time: 10:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ3:PTW Installation Sequence
OK Ok ... lol ... so I haven't been around in a while ... but I just bought my copy of PTW last night at CompuSmart (would you believe the downtown Montreal Future Shop didn't have it ???) ...

Anyhow ... my first question is ... does PTW include all prior Civ3 patches ???

I've been running the CD version of Civ3 for some time now (due to reinstalling windows too many times to bother with finding the patches)

So anyhow ... is the order

A-

1. Install Civ 3
2. Install Latest Civ3 Patch
3. Install Civ3:PTW
4. Install Latest Civ3:PTW Patch

or

B-

1. Install Civ 3
2. Install Civ3:PTW
3. Install Latest Civ3:PTW Patch

PS ... I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I could find it I'm sorry to say !!! lol

I also have a question on firewall ports ... but seening as it is a very seperate question, I'll open a new topic !!!
Old November 1, 2002, 13:04   #2
DJ RRebel
Settler

oh yeah ... I also wouldn't mind a link to any thread or page that lists all the patches to date (including regular Civ3 patches) ... does anyone know where I can find that list ???
Old November 1, 2002, 13:11   #3
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 05:14
I think installation sequence B is correct, but lets get a second opinion....
Old November 1, 2002, 13:16   #4
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 12:14
dont have ptw but i guest it's B
Old November 1, 2002, 14:35   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:14
I hope not as I did A and seem ok so far. Well actually the first 2 steps were done before I got PTW. I just dropped the cd in and installed. I then put the patch on and played. I suspect both are fine as PTW is in a seperate folder. If you want to play std civ3, you would want to have the patch for it on, I would think.
Old November 1, 2002, 16:11   #6
Asterothe
Settler

I did the second.
But cannot play multiplayer games...
Old November 1, 2002, 16:16   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:14
B is correct. PTW should patch Civ3 to 1.29.

A will work too, it should not be required though.
Old November 1, 2002, 17:59   #8
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
B is correct. PTW should patch Civ3 to 1.29.

A will work too, it should not be required though.
I am not buying that as my executable for std civ has not been changed and PTW is in its own folder. Unless they checked to see it already has been patch and ignored it if so (not impossible, but unlikely). So it could be that your std civ3 exe will saty as it was, what ever version. If you will always use the PTW exe then no problems. I loaded a 129f save with PTW and it had some of the changed tech in the tree, so I am not sure what may be affected. I did not play it only looked.
Old November 1, 2002, 21:02   #9
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 11:14
vmxa1:

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken - if the filedate of your original Civ3.exe is 28 june 2002, it's the 1.29f version.

If that's not the filedate of your Civ3.exe after installing PtW too, you've done something wrong in the install process.

It doesn't check to see if you already have installed Patch 1.29f as such, it just overwrites your regular Civ3 directory with Patch 1.29f files

As for installation procedure in general, you are forgetting some very important steps:

- 3. Backup all files you want to keep from your regular Civ3 install (mods, savegames, etc)
- 2. Uninstall all Civ3 Patches (from Add/Remove Programs in the control panel)
- 1. Uninstall Civ3
0. Delete the Civilization III folder manually.
1. Install Civ3
2. Install PtW
3. Install Patch 1.04f

Doing that will keep you bugfree a lot longer.
Old November 2, 2002, 10:34   #10
DJ RRebel
Settler

Thanks for the help guys ... I also got help in the chat too .. .thanks again !!!

So ... on for my 2nd issue ... does anyone know where I can find a list of all Civ3 patches ???

Also ... here's a new question ... once new patches are installed ... are old saved games playable ???

If so ... are they played with the pre-patch parameters you had with the version of Civ3 when you started the game (in my case, the first version that came on the CD itself) ... or do the game parameters (rules and tweeks etc) change the first time you load up your game after installing a patch ???

The main reason I never installed patches, was to not corrupt games I had saved that I wanted to play later.

Also ... a very similar question ... even if older games ARE playable after a patch is installed ... will older Civ3 games (regardless of patch number) be playable under Civ3:PTW ... and if so ... what happens to games in progress ??? Do they get access to the new units, improvements and wonder ??? Or will the game proceed as it did under Civ3 without PTW installed ???

Once again ... thanks to all who reply !!!
Old November 2, 2002, 13:52   #11
purplemooseman
Settler

Research how bic's and bix's work.

The saved game (wait, maybe they started doing this after a certain patch? -- darn my memory) stores the bic/x used to start it. The rules et al are stored in the bic/x and thus they are stored in your sav. You can figure that changes to the engine would effect you, but tweaks and rule changes to the default bic/x wouldn't.
Old November 2, 2002, 15:00   #12
vmxa1
Deity

IIRC there was a patch that broke the compatility. 129f will work with PTW. The readme for 129f will say if it did occur and with what patch as it has the history of all fixes.
Old November 2, 2002, 20:20   #13
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
i have civ3, 1.29f patch, PTW, and the 1.04 patch....

i need to know the exact sequence step by step for installation, so far i can't seem to make it all work?

plz advise
Old November 2, 2002, 20:27   #14
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

See my post above
Old November 2, 2002, 22:03   #15
vmxa1
Deity

I did it this way:
Civ3
129f
Ptw
104F
Old November 3, 2002, 03:44   #16
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

1.29f is not needed - It is installed automatically when you install PtW.

Also, when installing Patches, take care that it is actually Installing the patch, and not un-installing.

If for some reason the patch is already registered by Windows (Check the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs Section), running the Patch EXE file again, will uninstall the patch.
Old November 3, 2002, 04:52   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Not sure what you mean by automatic. The exe for civ3 is not changed. PTW is in its own folder. This menas that if you want to fire up the std civ3 you will not have 129f unles you patched it. If you never use the std civ3 cd, then you are correct you do notneed the 129f.
Old November 3, 2002, 04:56   #18
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

No, the exe is changed - after installing PtW it should be dated 28-June-02 - that's the 1.29f Civ3.exe date. If not, something went wrong in your installation.
Old November 3, 2002, 06:20   #19
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i am missing the following file it says, IFC23.DLL

anyone know what this is about?
Old November 3, 2002, 06:41   #20
War4ever
Emperor

ok fixed that file thanx to a thread on a different page, now it says the disc isn' t in the tray.....gr.....stupid game
Old November 3, 2002, 06:43   #21
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

@War4Ever

No, stupid you for thinking that Warez always work. Buy the game or at least have the decency to stop complaining.
Old November 3, 2002, 07:32   #22
War4ever
Emperor

calling me stupid is silly, i am not insulting anyone here, i own every civ disc there is other than ptw, which from the sounds of things is quite buggy stilll....

i just want to see what all the hype is about, and your right i should buy it, but i won't until i try it, and if i have to wait a few more days/weeks till a proper pirate comes out so be it....

you seem to take great pride i cutting people down who use pirates.....

lets count the civ titles , i have on disc,

civ1
civ2 fantastic worlds,
civ2 tot
civ2
civ2 mge
civ2 cic which i can't remember if it is on the scenarios disk or not..i htink its green

anyways, i have purchased many civ products, but b/c i found civ3 to be somewhat of a bummer compared to #1 and #2 , i am leery. Not too mention, whats the deal with milking all the civers for a mp version of civ3....

i thought the days of not including MP in a game were over, you know, back in 98 when microprose screwed us the first time..

i guess its infogames and firaxis's turn this time.....

but , that bs all aside, a no cd crack will come out, and i will grab a hold of it, so no big deal really, either that or someone will rip the game soon enough.

And unlike you , i won't go around saying people are stupid for buying a game that may turn out to be a piece of sh!t

What we really need is some sort of store that lets you rent out pc games , then we wouldn't have such moral issues to deal with ..

take care of yourself, and remember, you only live once, so live on the edge a little, the man upstairs won't frown to hard on you, when he takes into account that the cost is jacked up just high enough so the consumer will still pay for his fix!!
Old November 3, 2002, 08:19   #23
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
you seem to take great pride i cutting people down who use pirates.....
There's no pride involved, trust me. I don't give a toss if you want to break the law.
After hanging out in the MP lobby for too long, I'm just sick of people whining over a game they haven't even got a full working version of. I'm sick of people complaining about bugs that are only in the Warez version. A multiplayer game that involves just one person with a bad copy of the game will crash. Is that Firaxis' fault?
If everybody playing Multiplayer had the legal version of the game, it wouldn't be perfect, but it certainly would improve the situation a lot.

Quote:
Not too mention, whats the deal with milking all the civers for a mp version of civ3....
You sing the same songs as everyone else using warez - I heard them all before, and I'm still not impressed. Developing games costs money - if you think Infogrames are bad at calculating the costs of this developement, I suggest you contact their accounting dept.

Quote:
And unlike you , i won't go around saying people are stupid for buying a game that may turn out to be a piece of sh!t
Where did I say this?

Quote:
take care of yourself, and remember, you only live once, so live on the edge a little, the man upstairs won't frown to hard on you, when he takes into account that the cost is jacked up just high enough so the consumer will still pay for his fix!!
I don't really think I would get a kick out of downloading warez.
Old November 3, 2002, 10:19   #24
Minuteman
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by isak
1.29f is not needed - It is installed automatically when you install PtW.

Also, when installing Patches, take care that it is actually Installing the patch, and not un-installing.

If for some reason the patch is already registered by Windows (Check the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs Section), running the Patch EXE file again, will uninstall the patch.
Crap! I should have visited this thread before I installed the game. It seems to be working fine though, but I know how "sensitive" this game can be if things aren't done just so.
Old November 3, 2002, 14:54   #25
War4ever
Emperor

@isak......

well this isn't the only thread you have replied to regarding "software" issues....

why should i pay for a game that SHOULD have come with MP istalled in it??

no you called me stupid for believing in warez, but i didn't call you stupid for buying a buggy piece of crap software,

why should the consumer be the guinea pig for a company that only released the game so early so it could milk sales for christmas

your right, you probably won't get a kick out of it

oh and by the way, i know it costs alot of money, but if your going to release a game, release it properly....don't defend the actions of many gaming companies who really dont give a sh!t about anything other than making a buck...when this trend ends, and good games are released without all the bs, then maybe warez will die down, until then, i will continue to tow the line with warez and buy only those games of value for my $$

i am no millionaire, there are a ton of games out there, and i cant affoard many of them...and gaming magazines are not to be trusted....most of them can't give an honest review anyways.....
Old November 3, 2002, 15:17   #26
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

@War4Ever

My final OT rant on this:

Are you trying to convince me? Or yourself...

Your rant about all the nasty software companies and all the nice little wAreZeRs, is utter BS! Games have been hacked, cracked and smacked for as long as they have existed. And just as long I've heard wAreZerS whinny the same old song about how they're the Robin Hoods of game developement, and the only thing that can make the big bad Sheriffs Of Nothinggames see the light and finally release games for free.

Well, 20 years later, here we are, and most people seem to think that the gaming industry in terms of marketing and customer service, has been sliding downhill, so I'd really like some of the aforementioned WarEzeRS to comment on exactly how and when their brilliant strategy is finally going to work - a lot of people, yourself included, still seem to be waiting for some results...

If you don't like the way a game is marketed, don't buy it. If you didn't know that Civ3 was without MP when you bought it, you should have done something smart and read about it first. If you knew that it wasn't with MP, but still bought it, you've accepted the fact that it wasn't, and any whining over that fact is really just... whining!

It's not your god given right to sample every game released - it would be nice, but it just isn't happening.
Old November 3, 2002, 16:43   #27
Minuteman
Warlord

isak

That was a cogent rant, Isak. However, I think you're pi$$ing against the wind insofar as convincing "Warez4ever" of the correctness and logic of your argument. Grostesque rationalizations aside, this clown is assuredly not on some sanctified crusade to right the perceived wrongs of the software industry. It sounds like he's only out for free shite, nothing more.
Old November 3, 2002, 16:49   #28
War4ever
Emperor

Granted pirates who don't pay for their software are hurting consumers and designers...... but the gaming industry needs to allow players to try games in the same way the music industry allows us to listen to music free of charge....especially when games in gerneral cost 2-3 times
Old November 3, 2002, 16:57   #29
Minuteman
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
Granted pirates who don't pay for their software are hurting consumers and designers...... but the gaming industry needs to allow players to try games in the same way the music industry allows us to listen to music free of charge....especially when games in gerneral cost 2-3 times
The software industry does have a means for allowing prospective customers to sample their products before purchasing them. They're called "Demos". Ring a bell?
Old November 3, 2002, 20:25   #30
War4ever
Emperor

without a doubt , your correct, not all demos turn into a fine tuned product, as many change when the game is officially released.

and your right, i am looking for a free way to test the game, however its not a huge deal to me, i play civ2 mp all the time still....

apparently i have ruffled feathers, so sorry for that...

one more thing, i am not trying to rip anyone off, i just want to make sure my 30-70 dollars is going to a company who deserves it...thats all...

like you say you never pirate, and always buy, i always get rid of software i don't think is worth my time, so i don't keep pirate crap..... if i like the game, i always purchase it...

and please , i don't want to hear your lamer response, "thats what all pirates say"

and remember for all you pro buyers out there.....i have heard your claims too...it doesnt' justify the gaming industry releasing bogus buggy, and bad games..all to make $$ off consumers who then feel cheated...