Old November 1, 2002, 16:07   #1
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"Scrolling" Maps / Graphics?
I bought PTW yesterday. MP is largely a non-issue for me, so no comment on the challenges all seem to be facing. I haven't even played a game yet (too busy in RL) but did spend a half hour starting the game and playing with the editor to try and get my personal graphics mod (mostly Snoopy, some Womok, and Skanky Burns' resource mod) installed in PTW, with Snoopy's great new coastal squares added.

In the process, I noticed that the scrolling map view still moves in a "step process" rather than a uniform scroll. Am I completely misremembering a review which described new smooth scrolling (and the resultant flames from the boards about proper prioritization), or is my pathetic older laptop and its stock graphics card simply unable to keep up?

Catt

[BTW - what I assume is a typo -- the Readme points out that minimum system requirements include 400 MB free space, but suggets 6000 (not 600) MB free space. Tough to do on my 6 GB hard drive ]
Old November 1, 2002, 16:47   #2
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 02:14
Catt,

I picked PTW up on the 30th, but I still haven't had a chance to even install it (same problems with the RL). I did however read the manual last night while answering the door (113 trick-or-treaters). It did mention an addition to the preferences that allows you to choice from 3 scroll speeds.

Keep in mind the scroll is a uniformly smooth process of "tiles" scrolling accross your screen, hince the step look to the process

My only civ time now is on weekend mornings. I usually sleep in till 6:00, grab my son and go to the den and put him in his swing. The motion keeps him alseep until 7:30 and having him with me keeps my wife alseep until 8:30. This buys me a productive 1 1/2 hours of play time and another 1 hour of "bottle in one hand keyboard on the other" not so productive time.

I don't think anyone is going to want to play multi against me either
Old November 1, 2002, 16:59   #3
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 05:14
I'm pretty sure that one can change the map scroll speed from preferences, changing this setting made a big difference for me.
Old November 1, 2002, 17:07   #4
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:14
@JJ and Acemo - thanks for the replies.

I did fiddle with the scroll speed drop-down in the preferences menu, but it still worked as a bit of a herky-jerky"step" process. Not really a complaint as Civ III has always been like this, but I was just curious as to whether the "smooth scroll" was (a) a figment of my overactive imagination, (b) abandoned at some point in development, or (c) working just fine for anyone with a computer that was actually built in this millenium.

Catt
Old November 1, 2002, 18:10   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:14
I do not have any jerky scrolling on my XP PRO system. It is not a super poweful one either, AMD 1.6 GH, 512 mb, radeon 8500 card.