Old November 13, 2002, 17:20   #61
Sandy
Settler

Local Time: 10:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I dont even have a job, i bought the game, and im not complaining hard.

Basically, im glad they bothered to make the game in the first place, and as warriorpoet says, MP will probably be fixed in the next few months.

As for 'hard earned cash', in my country 3 hours on the minimum wage would get you this game.

just my two pence.
Old November 14, 2002, 10:13   #62
ikilledmybroker
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:14
I would like to thank all of our North American cousins for play testing PtW for us.

It's very kind of you to iron out all the bugs, so that Firaxis can release the next patch in time for the UK release

We will of course make it up to you by lending you Diego Garcia for a while.
Old November 14, 2002, 18:02   #63
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 05:14
The US can always count on its UK brothers in times of need, so naturally, we try to reciprocate when ever possible :laugh:
Old November 15, 2002, 11:14   #64
Billster2k3
Settler

Local Time: 04:14
ikilledmybroker, that seems a fair trade!
Old November 15, 2002, 11:29   #65
Billster2k3
Settler

I have yet to try the MP functionality of PTW but I am loving the single-player game enhancements. While I agree that it would be ideal to have the product working perfectly when it first hit the shelves, I think we need to at least give Firaxis credit for working to resolve it and, rather than *****ing about the fact that there are bugs, let's work with Firaxis to let them know what those bugs are and under what circumstances they occur so that they can get them fixed as quickly as possible. I, for one, am thankful to be able to do business with a company that is at least willing to work with its customers to resolve our issues. And that's all I have to say about that.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:25   #66
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Edgar Newt
Flesh Reaver, you speak the truth. Having bought a copy for myself and one for my Dad (I'm 30 and live outside the home), I feel like I've been screwed twice. It pains me that the darn thing doesn't work. It totally pisses me off that I've only heard silence from the official channels of Firaxis.

Yes, that's right silence. A comment in an online chat doesn't cut it for me. Especially when its purposefully designed to be as vague and ambiguous as possible. I registered PTW, how about an email saying we are sorry we released a crappy game. We are working to improve it. We will update in one week with our progress. We hope to have the patch to you ASAP, but will let you know each week what our progress is.

But no, Firaxis figures we are already on the hook, so why bother with any attempt at reasonably customer relations.
Of course they figure you're already on the hook! You fell for the same thing twice!

Now I'm glad I waited to hear everyone else's comments on PTW.

Does anyone else here remember how long it was between the release of Civ III and the final patch (1.29f)? At least half a year.

Does anyone other than me think we were screwed over if we purchased Civ III right after it was released? Especially when they indicated they'd be making MP in a patch, and made it into an expansion (which doesn't work) instead?

Does anyone other than me think they screwed you all over AGAIN with the expansion?

Civ III has been uninstalled for at least the past 6 months on my computer, and frankly, I didn't get my money's worth out of it.

I'm glad I waited to see if PTW was worthwhile. I'll reassess whether it's worth buying 6 months from now (when the price has dropped to $5 as well, so if it's still crap, I won't be paying more than 5x as much as it's worth...), but until then....
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old November 15, 2002, 12:32   #67
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

A comparison between Civ II and Civ III
I purchased Civilization II a long time ago, as well as both the expansions, and the Civ II: Multiplayer Gold Edition.

One thing to note is that I could use ANY of my Civ II cds to play MGE, whether they were the original civ II cd, one of the expansion CDs, or the MGE CD. It accepted any of them for the cd-check.

So, with all the money I'd paid Meier for Civ II, I was able to play multiplayer on 4 or so computers at once, with family or friends. And that was good.

Now, with Civ III and PTW, each one comes with their own CD, which is good. So did Civ II, and its expansions, etc.

However, you absolutely must have the PTW CD in to play PTW (unless you get a crack). What? Why? Seriously! Someone has to pay $100 to play 2-player Civ III?

Infogrames, you're nuts.
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old November 15, 2002, 14:52   #68
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:14
This is the norm now as anti theft attempt.
Old November 15, 2002, 18:11   #69
WarpStorm
King

Besides, if both computers are located close together, you only need one disk.
Old November 16, 2002, 15:48   #70
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 12:14
hi ,

some-one should file a courtcase against infogrames !
its a shame that PTW has not to many new buildings , wonders , terrain , etc , ......

however , from a marketing point of view they could fix this the following way ;

recall the disks that are in storage , and that cant be to many because you dont see PTW in most places yet .

get a patch that really fixes everthing , burn it in the disk !

get loads of new stuff , like a couple more buildings , more terrains , more units , stuff like simple unit trading , ....

get rid of the current mp setup , get a new and better one , without the gamespy stuff

ones fixed you can even ask 50 usd for it , then people shall buy it , on an even larger scale then ever , and you shall get all your money out of it

and please Firaxis get some-one to distribute PTW , because as it is now , you have to look for it , many people are in search , but the Q is , where to buy it , ......?

and please include some of stuff from Apolyton , there are hundreds of good realistic ideas here !

have a nice day
Old November 18, 2002, 01:42   #71
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by KizSmurf

Has anyone thought about class aciton lawsuits? Any lawyers out there? My buddy is in his 3rd year in law school and he thinks there may be a case, but is reluctant to give out advice since he is not a lawyer yet. This is B.S. and should not become a legit way to market software, or anything else. Firaxis, I love you, don't be dumb and work with infrogames ever again.

Love Civ 3, Hate PTW, untill its fixed I'm playing Age of Wonders 2

KizSmurf
Can I get in on suing Firaxis?

My god. I hated Civ 3, but you loved it. Yet you hated PTW. I can only imagine then how much I'd despise PTW!! Yep, another rushed beta product from Firaxis. Surprise, surprise.
Old November 18, 2002, 02:57   #72
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

[u2mode]
How long, how long is he gonna sing that song?How long,How looooooooong
[/u2mode]

* sigh *
Old November 18, 2002, 05:24   #73
player1
Emperor

But, but,

Culture Flipping...
Old November 18, 2002, 05:41   #74
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
[u2mode]
How long, how long is he gonna sing that song?How long,How looooooooong
[/u2mode]

* sigh *
hi ,

often its persistance from people like him that get things fixed , .........

have a nice day
Old November 18, 2002, 05:44   #75
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

True, but even persitance has it boundaries
Old November 18, 2002, 06:23   #76
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
True, but even persitance has it boundaries

hi ,

he has not even reached them yet , .......

have a nice day
Old November 18, 2002, 07:02   #77
WarpStorm
King

And what would you sue them for exactly? Read your EULA (you may as well, it's a binding legal agreement you chose to agree to) to find out what your rights and Infogrames rights are.
Old November 18, 2002, 07:03   #78
WarpStorm
King

Oh, and Coracle has an opinion of a game he hasn't played yet.
Old November 18, 2002, 07:07   #79
alva
Deity

and bores/annoys everyone else with
Old November 18, 2002, 07:12   #80
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
Gone far past. Sorry. Do you seriously expect the developers to listen to him at this point? There's some beds that deserve laying in... that's one of them.
Old November 18, 2002, 08:07   #81
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
And what would you sue them for exactly? Read your EULA (you may as well, it's a binding legal agreement you chose to agree to) to find out what your rights and Infogrames rights are.
hi ,

it does not mean that those are our rights , ......
you need a legal expert to look at it , .......

and the main problem seems to be infrogreed , they are the ones that put pressure on firaxis , okay you can argue that firaxis should have responded to the pressure , but the main point is infogreed , .....

now , there is still time for firaxis to do something positive about it , ......

so lets all kneel down and pray , ......

have a nice day
Old November 18, 2002, 08:12   #82
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Gone far past. Sorry. Do you seriously expect the developers to listen to him at this point? There's some beds that deserve laying in... that's one of them.
hi ,

ones there used to be a person who had a very big sig , ..... after having it for 6 months , surprise , surprise , ...... now we have a small (very small) piece of that sig , ......

as for Coracle , well maybe they get so tired of it that they give what he wants , .....

at least we have to give him some credit , there are only a few who ask for more Quality , Q that we all have the benefits from , ...

and lets face it , we are all happy , but everyone wants that there is first of all a patch to root out the remaining bugs , and every one wants to have more buildings , more options , etc , ........

some one on an other forum sayed this "if you step in the story and buy a rolls , are you going to drive out with a golf , ......."

its a great game , but it still needs some things , .......

have a nice day
Old November 18, 2002, 08:17   #83
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sorry panag, many people 'asked' for changes to culture and a way turn the flips off. 'They' got it.

Coracle has never brought anything other than insults and unconstructive criticism. If you think that insults are needed to get results, then I suggest you don't hold your breath...

and wth was that about the sig?
Old November 18, 2002, 08:24   #84
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Sorry panag, many people 'asked' for changes to culture and a way turn the flips off. 'They' got it.

Coracle has never brought anything other than insults and unconstructive criticism. If you think that insults are needed to get results, then I suggest you don't hold your breath...

and wth was that about the sig?
hi ,

insults are a no go

criticism , well okay , but not the kind that is "unconstructive"

indeed insults are not needed to get results , they tend to be counterproductive

sig , HéY , where where you this year , ......

have a nice day
Old November 18, 2002, 08:27   #85
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
at least we have to give him some credit , there are only a few who ask for more Quality , Q that we all have the benefits from , ...
Wrong. There is a diference asking for quality or whining for something you imagine quality is, namely your dreams. He's just a child crying: "Mami, I don't like this toy! I want a that toy! No, not this toy! That toy! NO! NO! NO!..."

Quote:
and lets face it , we are all happy , but everyone wants that there is first of all a patch to root out the remaining bugs , and every one wants to have more buildings , more options , etc , ........
Right, these are things everybody want. The question is, how do you ask for them: in a civilized, adult way or in a childish, whining way? If you were a developer, which one would you consider?
--Woody Allen
Old November 18, 2002, 08:27   #86
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
sig , HéY , where where you this year , ......
You can be inscrutable. What sig? There have been many for many people.
Old November 18, 2002, 08:36   #87
player1
Emperor

Quote:
hi ,

have a nice day
The thruth is that he hasn't reached even PtW disc, so how is he suppsed to reach FIraxis.

With compalining that Civ3 sucks, so PtW must suck too.

P.S.
By the way, culture flipping can be turned off in PtW.
Old November 18, 2002, 08:46   #88
alva
Deity

I agree here, at least with Civ, he had some rights to complain,(maybe not here and that much , but ok)
he did spend money on that one, and didn't like it--->complain.

But not so with PTW;
1. he hasn't bought it= keep your silence ( my firts formulation was slightly different )

2. He has:= well, pff, what can you you say.
Old November 18, 2002, 08:50   #89
player1
Emperor

Now let's back on topic.

The best thing that can be expecting from Firaxis are more patches.

And I'm gratefull for that.
(we are lucky that Civ3 didn't got same treatment as CtP2)

Expecting anything more is just way too optimistic.

I would rather play PtW the way it is, then wait several more months in order to make in bugless.

And there is alwasy possibile of getting something implemented into the patches based on (constructive) feedbak on forums.

Most PtW complaints were in 3 cathegories:
1) Why is MP buggy?
2) PtW is too much expesive for what it gives
3) I don't like Civ3, so I don't like PtW

Solutions:
1) Will be fixed in patch.
2) After MP is fixed it would be more worth. Also wait for some new PtW compatibile sceanrios in future to make game more interesting
3) Hopeless, buy another game.
Old November 18, 2002, 18:03   #90
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
it does not mean that those are our rights , ......
you need a legal expert to look at it , .......
You don't really need to be a lawyer to understand what it says.

I realize that those of you who do not use English as your primary language may have trouble reading legal-ese, but for the rest it is a skill worth learning. Why? Otherwise you won't know what you are agreeing to. In my locale, choosing 'I Accept' is entering into a binding legal agreement (with only a few exceptions).

For example, in this EULA it says that you have 90 days to return PTW to Infogrames if it has major bugs that prevent it from working as described in the documentation. It also says that if you attempt to sue them, you agree that the reward can't be more than the purchase price, no matter what. It also says that they can sue you back (this will make lawyers hesitate to take your case).

There is also the standard CYA stuff, so that if it destroys your system and your lifes work, tough.

It also says that they (Infogrames) owns PTW and all mods created for Civ3 and PTW if they are distibuted.