Old November 1, 2002, 19:42   #1
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You Cannot save a MP game...
...and reload at a later time to continue on (Even on LAN).

My partner and I played for 3 hours last night. I saved our game before we both quit for the evening. Now, the next day, I try going into the multiplayer option, but the program tells me that my name is already in use - Duh, from me playing last night - Of course, there might be someone in the lobby with the same name as me, but I doubt it. Anyway, I try just loading the game from the "Load Game" option...yes, it loads it, but as a singleplayer game.

So now I'm confused...I really can't believe that Firaxis would expect MP games to only last a few hours - when they in fact many days or even months. So I figured, what the hey, let me look and see what the manual says...and here is what I found (page 36, bottom):
Quote:
Quitting Multiplayer Game
"You can quit a multiplayer game at any time just as you would a single-player game. When you decide to quit, be sure you really want to leave the game. When you quit, your civilization is eliminated from the game and all of your cities are destroyed."
Am I reading this right? MP games (Internet or LAN) cannot be saved in order to be continued at a later time?! How in the hell is anyone expected to start and finish a MP game in only one sitting?!? This is just absolutely crazey...
Old November 1, 2002, 20:08   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

NEVERMIND
Am I bad.

To load a MP game, the option in in the drop-down menu labled under "Game Mode" ... so just ignore my rant...I'm still on the "learning curve"
Old November 1, 2002, 23:12   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:15
If all else fails the auto sav should be there for you. I strongly recommend you NOT disable auto savs.
Old November 2, 2002, 16:01   #4
Oerdin
Deity

In CTP2 MP the auto save feature, eh, ... saved... the day for many people who's game had crashed. I imagine it will be just as valuable in Civ3 MP.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:57   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
I just had a game where the opponent quit (cuz I was winnin' )
and the game was automatically saved as resynch.sav
Old November 2, 2002, 21:48   #6
Tassadar500
Emperor

Were all still at the learning stage. Well except me considering I dont even have Play The World.
Old November 5, 2002, 18:50   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Were all still at the learning stage. Well except me considering I dont even have Play The World.
But you're still learning, are you not Nuke? Or at least "taking notes"...