Old November 8, 2000, 16:40   #31
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-08-2000 03:14 PM
I'm guessing that even if we go ICS, we'll still have to shoot for AC because of the distances required to travel and conquer the AIs.

I suspect not. No matter how big the map, you can move units instantly from one side to the other with railroads and appropriately sited transports. Each turn may take just short of forever, though (my current status on the AI headstart game ).
Old November 8, 2000, 17:28   #32
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:50
Someone else made a reference to the transports in the first succession game. Am I missing something? I can see loading a transport, taking them into another port, and unloading them there to travel on railroads across that continent, but we're still talking about the moves required to get to the port and to unload, correct? There's not some "magic" transport technique, is there?

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 8, 2000, 17:43   #33
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

kcbob - I typically build "ferry" cities when I'm trying to move a lot of stuff. If the two cities are within transport range, you just leave a transport sitting in one city, move all your units in, put them to sleep, then move the tranport into the port on the other continent. The units wake up with full movement.

If the cities are further apart than one transport can reach, you can use ship chaining. Move your first transport its full movement, ending on top of another waiting transport. Wake up all the units on board, move the second transport away, and the units go with it. With enough boats in the right position, you can cover any amount of ocean. Your units will still have full movement once they make port. Tedious, but effective.
Old November 8, 2000, 21:25   #34
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
With the possible exception of Julius - we are all learning the ins and outs of the GigaMap - my limited experience would suggest that Marco's (for maps) is possibly the strongest Wonder - any comments?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old November 9, 2000, 08:53   #35
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 11-08-2000 04:43 PM
kcbob - I typically build "ferry" cities when I'm trying to move a lot of stuff. If the two cities are within transport range, you just leave a transport sitting in one city, move all your units in, put them to sleep, then move the tranport into the port on the other continent. The units wake up with full movement.

If the cities are further apart than one transport can reach, you can use ship chaining. Move your first transport its full movement, ending on top of another waiting transport. Wake up all the units on board, move the second transport away, and the units go with it. With enough boats in the right position, you can cover any amount of ocean. Your units will still have full movement once they make port. Tedious, but effective.

Incredible!!! Thank you so much. I guess I'd suspected something like this but never actually tried it. I just wish I'd have had the sense to give it a whirl in my last game. I played a custom map that was something like 10 x 200. Seemed more like 10 x 8,000. This technique would have really helped.

Thanks again.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 9, 2000, 08:56   #36
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-08-2000 08:25 PM
With the possible exception of Julius - we are all learning the ins and outs of the GigaMap - my limited experience would suggest that Marco's (for maps) is possibly the strongest Wonder - any comments?

Has anyone noticed a pattern for size of continents? How about spacing between them? If there's a lot of water, Light House/Magellans might be right up there with Marco's.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 9, 2000, 09:22   #37
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I think an early hut-hunting strategy could really pay off on one of these maps. There must be hundreds of huts, which will provide lots of free goodies. My (untested) strategy is to build HG (the sleazer's friend ) and the Lighthouse. Turn science down (expecting to trade science with AIs and find science in huts), rush some horses and triremes, and go exploring. Meanwhile, continue to ICS on the home continent, and from goody hut cities.

As units are recruited from huts, the army of explorers would grow, so the whole process can snowball. Cash from huts could be used for strategic rushbuilds. Barbarians from huts would be dealt with ruthlessly .

In one large-map game I did something like this, and I was taking over AI cities with goody hut units!
[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited November 09, 2000).]
Old November 9, 2000, 09:28   #38
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 11-09-2000 08:22 AMMy off-(untested) strategy is to build HG (the sleazer's friend ) and the Lighthouse. Turn science down (expecting to trade science with AIs and find science in huts), rush some horses and triremes, and go exploring.

I think it is interesting that all the games so far seem to have a definite sleaze flavor. Maybe we should try a OCC game and see if anyone (probably moi) screws it up beyond repair.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 9, 2000, 20:04   #39
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hut hunting on a gigamap is good play - but you have to go a long way from home to start getting NON units!
-----------
SG (2)
Old November 10, 2000, 05:54   #40
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-08-2000 03:14 PM
I'm guessing that even if we go ICS, we'll still have to shoot for AC because of the distances required to travel and conquer the AIs.

One thing that I have learned, thanks to gigamaps, is the value of airports. Dave's transport system could work too, but the AI navy could feast on some occasions with all those transports everywhere. And it is quite long to apply (obviously not a problem for Dave). As for difference of strategies with gigamaps, it deserves a full topic in the strategy forum.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 10, 2000, 05:58   #41
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-09-2000 07:04 PM
Hut hunting on a gigamap is good play - but you have to go a long way from home to start getting NON units!
-----------
SG (2)

Some times ago, I tried to open every hut in my continent before founding my first city. The continent was giga and I was alone. The result : 10 technologies, 25 units, and 500 gold. But by the time my first trireme was looking for someone else it was sunk by a roman ironclad ! C'est la vie

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 10, 2000, 06:22   #42
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-06-2000 05:55 PM
Sorry skrobism - no patch for 2.42 yet - any chance of one coming Julius???

No, gigamaps are, I unfortunately think, definitely impossible with civ 2.42 or FW. The limit is then something like 10920. Gigamaps, random or not, are only for MGE and ToT.

------------------
Old November 12, 2000, 18:34   #43
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Andemagne - How are you getting on?
Please post the results of your glorious reign back to SG[1]
----------------
The Scouse Gits in a different room!
Old November 13, 2000, 20:50   #44
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
8 turns left. I play them tomorrow (14th of november)
when I get back from school (about 14 hours from now)

I am in quite difficult situation.
to build Great Library or Marco Polos Empasy.
(Hangin' gardens build by celts).
other then that doing just fine.

------------------
"Victrix Fortunae Virtus"
Old November 13, 2000, 21:32   #45
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Marco Polo would be useful on a map of this size, so we can locate the other civs for overseas holidays.

Don't let me put you off the Great Library though !!

---------------
SG (2)
Old November 14, 2000, 09:00   #46
kcbob
King

Is this not too cool? We've got players in Finland, England, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the US all contributing to this. I wonder if Sid envisioned this when he wrote his first line of code?

BTW. Any chance we can build a McDonald's somewhere along the way? I'm hungry.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 14, 2000, 17:49   #47
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

save mailed to maud'dib.

here's what I have done:
great library build (hangin' gardens build by celts)
5 new cities and lots of settlers
discovered trade, philosophy, polytheism,
mathematix, university and astronomy.
next one is monotheism.
explored east and west, build one trireme.
had one short war with persians.

------------------
Old November 14, 2000, 18:17   #48
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-14-2000 08:00 AM
Is this not too cool? We've got players in Finland, England, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the US all contributing to this. I wonder if Sid envisioned this when he wrote his first line of code?

------------------
Old November 14, 2000, 18:18   #49
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-14-2000 08:00 AM

Well, Kcbob, I suggest that when it will be your turn to play, the 1st two cities you will build are going to be called, McDonald and Burger King !

------------------
Old November 14, 2000, 19:11   #50
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-06-2000 09:13 AM
Dear God ! Did I really press the [submit reply] before writing my message. Quite annoying indeed.

I think you have a perfect scheme here Julius - Prince in only 150 (double) posts!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old November 14, 2000, 19:45   #51
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-14-2000 05:18 PM
Well, Kcbob, I suggest that when it will be your turn to play, the 1st two cities you will build are going to be called, McDonald and Burger King !

LOL. Done.

BTW. You did notice that Scouse Gits busted you, didn't you? For shame. Then again, maybe I should give it a try.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 15, 2000, 06:14   #52
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-14-2000 06:11 PM
I think you have a perfect scheme here Julius - Prince in only 150 (double) posts!

Well, please let me try to defend mysefl !
First of all, I didn’t do it on purpose. And as I have maybe 4 or 5 times accidently hit the enter key at the wrong moment, it would only amount to 295 instead of 300. What a big deal ! But your remark help me understand why some people send strange message like “I just wanted to say hello”, “Lol”, or other stuff like that. So there is a race to become Deity ! Please count me out of it. If I post messages, it’s because I like to talk to some people in this forum, to provide some (valuable ?) informations and to make some (funny ?) jokes.
I know you were just teasing me, but let me set it straight. I’ve got other ambitions in my life than becoming a deity in the Apolyton forum. I hope that for some who know me and appreciate me well enough, I am already a king,.
Nobly yours, King Julius,.

------------------
Old November 15, 2000, 09:14   #53
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-15-2000 05:14 AM
I know you were just teasing me, but let me set it straight. I’ve got other ambitions in my life than becoming a deity in the Apolyton forum. I hope that for some who know me and appreciate me well enough, I am already a king,.
Nobly yours, King Julius,.

Ah, the man who would be king. It is all in good fun, of course. If you want to see serious, try Off-Topic. It gets pretty cutthroat in there sometimes.

As for becoming a deity in the Apolyton forum, at the rate I post, I should attain that sometime around 2011, right when the Mayan calendar runs out.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 15, 2000, 18:19   #54
jcarkey
Warlord

I think I can contribute to this succession game. I can arrange the logs in a nice manner. Then we could post it (and perhaps admit it into the GL.)

------------------
What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org
Old November 22, 2000, 01:59   #55
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Calling Muad'Dib ... have you finished your turns. If so, please forward to kcbob.
-------------
SG (2)
Old November 22, 2000, 11:40   #56
kcbob
King

In another succession game, Maud'Dib has kind of dropped out of sight, too. I hope everything is okay. But, the game must go on, n'est-ce pas?

I also follow him in the other game. I've emailed and PMd him and if I don't hear back from him by noon tomorrow, November 23, I'm going to skip him. When he does finally turn up, we'll insert him back in then.

I would suggest a similar course of action in this game. If either Scouse Gits or Andemagne could send the game after Andemagne's turn to kcbob49@hotmail.com, we can proceed. And again, when Maud'Dib turns up, we can stick him back in then.

I think I know where he might be, though. He's obviously getting pumped up for the Dune mini-series on the Sci-Fi channel in a couple of weeks. Heck, he might even be in it.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 22, 2000, 14:02   #57
Andemagne
King

ok! file sended to kcbob _twice_. let me know
ASAP that you have received the savefile.
post here and send email.

Happy Civin'!

------------------
Old November 22, 2000, 14:32   #58
kcbob
King

Thank you, Andemagne. I have received the file... twice!

As I said above (I think), I'll wait until noon tomorrow to crank it up. That'll give Maud'Dib time to show his face. So to speak.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 22, 2000, 17:05   #59
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

kcbob - Good work - let's keep this game moving. There is a lot ground to cover on a gigamap!
--------
SG (2)
Old November 22, 2000, 17:18   #60
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:50
looks like this succession is having the same problem as the two v2.42 successions. That is people disappearing, and taking their sweat time to play while the thread just waits.

I like what you have done to remedy this.