Old December 22, 2000, 11:58   #91
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Muad'Dib ... how are you progressing?

------------

SG (2)
Old December 22, 2000, 12:16   #92
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:50
I wonder whether Muad'Dib has packed up and moved on after his dust-up with MarkG in the Apolyton forum.
Old December 22, 2000, 12:57   #93
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:50
As much as I would love to give Maud'Dib every opportunity to continue, and at the risk of causing hurt feeling on his part, I suggest we carry on. If we don't decide something soon, it might be clear into next year before we get rolling.

Any objections? If not, I think Scouse Gits should send the 600AD game to Julius. At least, that's how I read the roster.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 22, 2000, 14:07   #94
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:50
And then there Maud...

22 days!
I know this isn't my game but Wow! MD is gone. You know what is strange. We've had this same problem with him in the No ICS 2.42 game. But then as soon as the game is past to the next person, MD posts saying, "Sorry, I was bla bla bla." It's like he is testing us to see how long we will put up with it.

Did I say that out load? Doh!

------------------
"Bonjour, you cheese-eatin' surrender-monkeys."
Old December 24, 2000, 07:54   #95
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Unless I have the games confused - easily done if you are as simple minded as I - the latest save I possess is 500BC - I believe the 600AD belongs on a different thread - will send to Julius now...[sent added in edit]

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old December 24, 2000, 12:21   #96
kcbob
King

These games can get confusing, n'est-ce pas? I'm in three right now.

I thought of another variation of succession game to play but it would take an incredibly devoted group of players. Instead of taking 'x' number of turns and passing it on, you take one turn. But before you take that one turn, everybody gets a copy of the game and you all discuss just what the next turn will be.

Can you micro-micro-manage? After writing that down, I don't know if I'd even be interested.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone.

And let's be kind to Maud'Dib. We don't really know what's going on in his life. His mocassins might be way too big for me.

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old December 24, 2000, 18:05   #97
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Scouse Gits, thanks for the game. I've just received your mail.
I'm going to try to play it tomorrow morning.
What's going on with it. I haven't read a story about it since I don't know when !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 25, 2000, 10:37   #98
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game played and game sent to Dave V.
It was a close call, but I got HG.
See the story below.
We've got a gigacontinent !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 25, 2000, 10:38   #99
Julius Brenzaida
King

500 BC, on Christmas’ Day, though nobody knew at this time, of course, King Julius II became king of the Gigafanatics. His first task was a charitable one : to rescue poor settlers who were threatened by barbarians. Then KJ2 looked at the state of his empire and was not pleased. What’s all thoses littles cities ? I won’t be able to play perfectionist ! KJ2, looked depressed for a while, but the noble blood of the Brenzaidas was flooding all through his veins and his undaunted mettle overcame all fears of failure. I am the greatest king of the greatest kingdom. Soon the whole earth shall be ours. Explorers let us discover all of this vaste land.
475 BC, foundation of Aspen Castle.
450 BC, the 1st crisis arised. The hated Celts had almost finished the Hanging Gardens. Playing ICS without the HG is a king’s worst nightmare, so had read KJ2 in the Apolyton Forum. He sold the library, disbanded the nearest units and thanks to the lucky capture of a barbarian leader he barely managed to complete the wonder before the Celts.
425 BC, Hanging Garden was build. Un bonheur n’arrivant jamais seul, Trade is discovered. Polytheism is next.
400 BC, Pyramids and Colossus are build by other nations. There’s some competition going on ! Lone Oak, an advanced tribe, is founded.
375 BC, a foreign legion joins us.
325 BC, Barbarians chariots attack Civopolis. Archers get killed in defending successfully the city. Near-incident with the Persians because some cavalry was too close for their liking. Ce n’est que partie remise.
300 BC, Westernagen, another advanced tribe is founded.
225 BC, the exploration goes on and on. KJ2 noticed there was some war between the Zulus and the Persians. Surprisingly, the Persians had captured the city of Isandhlwana. This continent does not seem to end !
200 BC, KJ2 finds tragic death while swimming in Gigapool. The exact circumstances of the death remained unknown, not that many people did care. Except for the building of the Gardens a long time ago, he had done nothing for his people, obsessed that he was by exploring the world. He traveled so much that people were convinced he didn’t like his homeland. History will fortunately be kinder, but this is another story. And besides, it was Christmas. What a strange idea to die on Christmas Day. Couldn’t he wait until January. He should have died hereafter, there would have been time for such a word.
Old December 25, 2000, 11:19   #100
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 12-25-2000 09:38 AMI am the greatest king of the greatest kingdom.

Are you sure your name's not Ozymandius?

Well done, KJ2, on the HG. All together now... whew!!! But my seers warn me of a great iron horse that forebodes evil for our empire. We shall see.

Onward DaveV. It sounds like Julius has opened up vast areas for new growth.

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas to all.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 26, 2000, 08:55   #101
Julius Brenzaida
King

Yes, Merry Christmas to you all.
By the way (childish voice), have you noticed I'm a Prince now ?

------------------
Old December 26, 2000, 09:07   #102
kcbob
King

Congrats on your attaining Prince level. It does feel good, n'est-ce pas?

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 27, 2000, 08:45   #103
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I received the game from Julius, and have played to 100 BC (four turns). Very bad news - the thrice-accursed Germans built Marco Polo's Embassy on the turn before I would have had it completed. Wails of despair and gnashing of teeth. Now the GigaFanatics will have to work a little harder...

Family commitments have cut into my playing time, but I think I can promise to have the game sent on to Paul by Friday, December 29. Sorry for the delay, all.
Old December 27, 2000, 08:50   #104
kcbob
King

I think I can speak for all of us when I say that as long as we keep each other posted of progress/intent then delays are not a problem. It's when we hear nothing for days and weeks that is bothersome.

Bummer about Marco Polo's. A pox on all Germans. (Except real ones. )

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 27, 2000, 14:04   #105
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Finished it earlier than I expected! AD100 save sent to Paul and the Gits.

The tale of the reign of DaveV is a tragic one of lost opportunities. Upon seizing the reins of power, King Dave quickly established a goal of building Marco Polo's Embassy, which would allow him to manipulate the simple-minded leaders of other civilizations. Dave sent his emissaries, the Pirhana Brothers, to visit the Persians and Zulus. These civilizations were quick to acknowledge the greatness of the Giga civilization by offering up cash payments. King Dave also traded for Polytheism (the tech currently being researched by the Giga wise men) with the Zulus and Mathematics with the Persians. The latter trade was made in the hopes of finding the Persians with a more useful technology, before King Dave realized that he had an embassy and full intelligence on the Persians .

Six cities were set to building caravans, shields were bought so that all caravans would converge on Zamorna in 100BC. Then, disaster struck. The Germans built the Great Wall in Leipzig, and switched production to Marco Polo’s Embassy in Frankfurt. This change of production apparently caused the Germans not to issue the traditional “near completion” warning, because they finished the Embassy in 125BC, stealing that wonder from under King Dave’s very nose! King Dave swore a terrible oath of vengeance against the Germans, and directed his research toward military technology.

Two exploring horsemen were slaughtered by swarms of barbarian horsemen who emerged from villages, but another village yielded an advanced tribe. King Dave continued to build settlers and cities, following the tried-and-true ICS formula. After 300 years and 13 turns, King Dave finally succumbed to the depression of failing to secure the game-clinching wonder.
Old December 27, 2000, 16:17   #106
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
I received the game and will play tomorrow.
Old December 28, 2000, 07:05   #107
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

AD 400 sent to Andemagne and SG1.

At the start of his reign King Paul II noticed that we had many cities at the edge of disorder, so he ordered temples to be built in these cities after they finished their current build orders. Paul II also sent out caravans to establish trade routes with the Persian cities. Their return was small, but the long-term effects should be worth the effort.

Paul II traded for seafaring with the Persians, researched engineering and discovered astronomy, republic, navigation and banking in ruins of ancient civilizations. Giga scientists are currently researching invention.

Paul II found that we didn't need too much more cities, so only two new cities were settled during his reign; more to decrease the support burden on the settlers' home cities than for any other reasons. The new king also build the first ship and sent it out to explore with two diplomats on board to establish embassies with other civilizations they might discover.

Other than that the reign of Paul II was pretty un-eventful, so future generations will most likely not name him as one of the greatest rulers in Giga-history. In the year 400 AD the reign of Paul II ended with his death.
Old December 28, 2000, 09:59   #108
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Four techs from huts! Nice exploring, Paul. Hmmm, researching invention, and banking from a hut. Do I foresee a great Statue in the Giga future?
Old December 28, 2000, 11:52   #109
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm having a xmas holiday, and I don't have
time nor computer to play, so SG and Paul sent
the savegame to player whos next.

[lament]
when I received the game for the first time,
I played and sented it forward to maud'dib and SG.
maud'dib didn't have time to play and it seems that
SG didn't receive my savegame. so when SG sented the
latest savegame to Julius, he sented the same file
that I received, so my all ready played 20 turns
were erased. all my hard work is now gone.
why this allways happens to me?
[/lament]

BTW Congrats to Julius for building Hangin' Gardens.

------------------
"Victrix Fortunae Virtus"
Old December 28, 2000, 11:57   #110
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
stupid double post!

hope everyone had a good xmas with lots
of loot and happy new year to all.

------------------
"Victrix Fortunae Virtus"
[This message has been edited by Andemagne (edited December 28, 2000).]
Old December 28, 2000, 12:33   #111
kcbob
King

Hot damn!! It's my turn in the barrel!! Bring it on, baby!!

Hope I don't sound too excited. It seems like ages since I last had a turn in a succession game. And bummer about your lamentable fortunes, Andemagne. Hope the next time around we get things squared away.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 28, 2000, 12:43   #112
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Save forwarded to kcbob
Old December 29, 2000, 01:50   #113
kcbob
King

Game received. Talk about quick turnaround! Thanks, Paul. I'll try to get on it tonight. That might be a little difficult as number one sone rolled into town last night and we're celebrating Christmas tonight. Worst case, I should be able to crank it out tomorrow morning.

And now... into the breach!!!

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 29, 2000, 10:00   #114
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Abject apologies Andemagne - these games are more than a little tricky to keep track of. It may have been a non-receipt or I may simply have posted the wrong game - if the latter again my apologies...

Happy New Year all

------------------

- Paul Craven
Old December 29, 2000, 16:26   #115
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

We got it ...

------------------

- Paul Craven
Old December 29, 2000, 20:36   #116
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Assuming from his continued silence that Muad'Dib is MIA - we are sending the save to Julius - may you prosper Sir ...

The Giga Map

0720AD - There is a lot to do - Tech rate 12 ... SG1 - SG2 founded
0740AD - SG3 - SG6 founded
0760AD - SG7 - SG11 founded
0780AD - SG12 - SG14 founded
0800AD - Gunpowder! ; SG15 founded
0820AD - SG16 founded
0840AD - We are Supreme! Tech rate 10
0860AD - SG17 founded
0880AD - Tech rate 9 on the Xin turn
0900AD - Magellan's Expedition - for the third time in consecutive Succession Games over two days!

Gigapool is on a Xin turn, Xinning City A is recovering, Zamorna is just about to become size 5 and Xinning City B. Caravans in production for SoL (Fundy) and Mike's (steal from Persians asap)
Old December 30, 2000, 01:55   #117
kcbob
King

Turn finished and sent to Scouse Gits. We just built Leonardo's!!!

Narrative to follow.

Here's the narrative sans embellishment.

420 AD – Exploring we will go!
Traded with Persians and obtained Feudalism, Bridge Building, and Philosophy
Received 200 gold tribute from Persians.
Barbarians in the Northwest
440 AD – Orxy founded
Barbarians landed near Scouston
460 AD– Sebennytus founded
Legion found in hut
Scouston destroyed by barbarians
Cairo founded
480 AD– Barbarians defeated
520 AD– Embassy established with Zulus
540 AD– Discover Invention - Gunpowder chosen next
Advanced tribe – Naples found
Leonardo’s begun
Sun Tzu’s begun
560 AD – Sioux build Oracle
580 AD – Advanced tribe – Issus found
Cunaxa founded
620 AD – New Scouston founded
640 AD - Cannae founded
660 AD - Legion found in hut
50 gold in hut
680 AD – Advanced tribe – Capua
Zulus built Sun Tzu’s - Zamoma switched to Magellan’s
700 AD– 50 gold in hut
720 AD – Leonardo’s built!!!

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited December 30, 2000).]
Old December 30, 2000, 07:58   #118
Julius Brenzaida
King

Oh my God, it is moving so fast now … I guess you would have to be a deity to play at this pace, not a King or a Prince (see no-ICS MGE topic). And I’m only in 2 sucession games. I’d never played ICS before, it is time to learn. Good job SG ! I’m not familiar with the Xin Cities, what’s that ? Saint Bob and Scougeopolis ? (note to self : never intend any pun when not speaking your mothertongue, argh : too late).
Anyway, game received and I will play it tomorrow.

------------------
Old December 30, 2000, 11:00   #119
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Xinning refers to The Size 5 Strategy devised by Xin. Here is the link:
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HT...tml?date=21:30

Have fun!

-----------

SG (2)
Old January 1, 2001, 14:07   #120
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game played and sent to Dave V. Sorry, I didn’t play very well. Lost one city and could not force myself to make the size 5 strategy work properly. ICS is too tough for me, I really prefer Perfectionism or OCC. But I haven’t screwed it all. Dave, you will have to decide between Communism and Fundamentalism. Also, the Persians have discovered Monotheism. It could be stolen or exchanged …
And BTW, will we ever see the end of this incredibly large continent ?

------------------