Old December 17, 2002, 16:41   #61
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 12:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by isak
I have XDSL and my dynamic ip is updated every 30 minutes - it isn't giving me any problems

I know that a lot of people experience crashes, but that doesn't mean it's the same error. The same error message can be caused by a number of unrelated things. And vice versa, the same problem can trigger a number of different error messages.

And yes, basic PC skills are easily achieved, but you can not by looking at the computer tell whether your TCP/IP protocol is broken, your Windows Registry is corrupt, your Winsock is outdated, your Infrared devices are bugging your Ethernet Adapter, your Internal Modem is interfering with your Client program or your Printer server is trying to take your PC's IP adress.... and that's just for starters.

If PC's were simple, I'd be unemployed today, so I thank god they're not

After Direct IP has been introduced, I guess it would be possible to throw Arcade out, but they've already made a deal with Gamespy, and besides, not everyone is comfortable handing out their own IP adress just to play a game. (re: the invention of firewalls btw.). Heck, some people even seem to enjoy hanging out in the Gamespy lobby. Peace be with that.

If you only have problems when you try to use Gamespy, you either need to find out why, or stop using Gamespy - pretty straightforward, and not something we should expect Infogrames to break a contract over, is it?
hi ,

Xdsl is an abreviation for all types of dsl , the X just sits there to mention any dsl , so how is that you have Xdsl

have a nice day
Old December 17, 2002, 16:52   #62
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Local Time: 11:17
Well, you used it first, so I didn't want to confuse you by saying that I have Adsl

And why is it you quoted my entire post but only responded to the fact that I ignored your acronym confusion
Old December 17, 2002, 17:34   #63
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

hi ,

i have ADSL but would love VDSL (as if)

have a nice day
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old December 18, 2002, 13:27   #64
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Well, you used it first, so I didn't want to confuse you by saying that I have Adsl

And why is it you quoted my entire post but only responded to the fact that I ignored your acronym confusion
hi ,

why not

its confusing when you forget to say what Xdsl you have

even more when you say you have "Xdsl" , ....... and forget to say what should go instead of "X"

allas , have a nice day
Old December 18, 2002, 13:32   #65
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Is it so confusing you were unable to read the rest of my post, or only confusing enough to make you forget your presumably clever answers

Anyway, you originally wrote (and I quote):

Quote:
some people who have Xdsl get an dynamic ip like every so many minutes or whatever , thats a problem
So you were the one who originally stated that all types of DSL were presumably affected by this problem, so why should I bother to specify which type of DSL I have??

Get back on topic and post descriptions of your problems, or find another thread to troll, thanks.
Old December 18, 2002, 14:18   #66
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Is it so confusing you were unable to read the rest of my post, or only confusing enough to make you forget your presumably clever answers

Anyway, you originally wrote (and I quote):

So you were the one who originally stated that all types of DSL were presumably affected by this problem, so why should I bother to specify which type of DSL I have??

Get back on topic and post descriptions of your problems, or find another thread to troll, thanks.
hi ,

ahem , no need to get personal , ...... "thanks"

have a nice day
Old December 18, 2002, 16:34   #67
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Problem being seen.
Has anyone seen this one? I have ADSL with Norton Personal Firewall (no NAT as I understand) and gave permission to open all ports for Gamespy as requested. I can join a game and it works fine with minimal lag. But when I try to host I am invisible. Is it possible I am doing something wrong in the setup phase? I think I have tried every possible variant with a patient partner, but nothing seems to work. To be seen should it be enough to hit "host" and do nothing else (i.e. not even check the "ready" button on the right of the new screen)? Or do you have to hit the "ready" button. Or do you have to hit the "Ready" buton AND the "launch" button to be seen? Nothing seems to work for me. What could possibly be going wromng here?
Old December 18, 2002, 16:38   #68
Rusty Nail
Warlord

By the way, I cannot see any chat on the staging screen after I hit "host". Is this not an error? I can see it on the original multiplayer screen.
Old December 18, 2002, 16:38   #69
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

It possibly because NPF is only set to allow the game (and DirectPlay) access to the internet, but isn't set to allow them to act as servers.

I'm getting a bit rusty on NPF, so I'm not sure how to go about setting that up, but let me know if you can't find it, I know a few NPF supporters who will probably help out
Old December 19, 2002, 17:59   #70
Panag
Emperor

Re: Problem being seen.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Nail
Has anyone seen this one? I have ADSL with Norton Personal Firewall (no NAT as I understand) and gave permission to open all ports for Gamespy as requested. I can join a game and it works fine with minimal lag. But when I try to host I am invisible. Is it possible I am doing something wrong in the setup phase? I think I have tried every possible variant with a patient partner, but nothing seems to work. To be seen should it be enough to hit "host" and do nothing else (i.e. not even check the "ready" button on the right of the new screen)? Or do you have to hit the "ready" button. Or do you have to hit the "Ready" buton AND the "launch" button to be seen? Nothing seems to work for me. What could possibly be going wromng here?
hi ,

disable norton , better yet , trow it out

have a nice zonealarm day
Old December 20, 2002, 01:36   #71
Acererak
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Asterothe
I used to play PTW without poblem till
I got a router. (linksys) Even after that
I was able to join games and play. But now
most of the times I cannot even join games.
yeterday I didi once , all the rest I was told to
open ports. I am using default
settings for LinkSys. What should I do?
I host Direct IP games behind a Linksys router without any problems at all. You just have to open up the proper ports as mentioned in the readme.txt file that comes with the 1.14f patch.

To "open" up the proper ports, I use port forwarding.

• Jot down the IP address of your computer. You can obtain this by opening up a command prompt and typing "ipconfig". The IP address will be 192.168.1.xxx.

• Log onto your Linksys router.

• Click on the 'Advanced' tab.

• Click on Forwarding. Here is where you forward the ports specified in the readme.txt file.

• The Ext. Port column lists the External Ports (those on your router) that you want to forward to your computer. You can put in a range or specific port numbers. (Obtained from the readme.txt depending on if you're hosting or using direct IP or Gamespy).

• Check both the TCP and UDP check boxes if you are unsure about the specific protocol being utilized.

• In the IP Address column, you want to fill in the 'xxx' from your IP address you noted above.

• Next, check the 'Enable' checkboxes for each port forwarded. (For security, you should uncheck the 'Enable' checkboxes when you're done playing. THe next time you want to play you can simply recheck these boxes)

• Finally, click apply.

e.g. Since I host Direct IP games, I open the following ports:
2302 (TCP and UDP)
6500 (TCP and UDP)
13139 (UDP)

That's all there is too it.

Last edited by Acererak; December 24, 2002 at 13:35.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:16   #72
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

with C&C firestorm its not needed to open those , .......

no ports should be open , do you want to give your carkeys to the guy at the bar when you go for a swim , no , they could have thought about this when they made it , .....

have a nice day
Old December 20, 2002, 15:47   #73
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

@Panag:

This is from Westwood's own Support pages -

Quote:
Tiberian Sun does not support NAT... Network Address Translating is commonly used when Sharing Internet connections, through Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), or programs like Sygate. If you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled, you will need to enable ports 1234 and 1140 on your host machine as well. ICS is a feature installed on some Windows 98 networks sharing a single computer's Internet connection across multiple machines.

To allow Tiberian Sun to run through a proxy server or firewall, you must enable UDP traffic through ports 5400 and 4000. If you run ICQ, make sure it is closed before running Tiberian Sun online (because ICQ also uses port 4000).

If it is, you will need to enable some ports to UDP traffic in order to communicate with Westwood Online. Ports 1234, 1235, 1236, and 1237 should allow UDP traffic.

Also, ports 7000, 7001, 7002, 3840, 4005 and 4995 will need to be opened for all TCP traffic.

If you do not know how to configure your firewall, please consult your firewall documentation, contact your system administrator, or contact your Internet service provider.
The quote is from

this page

Even though the Above text only says Tiberian Sun, it can be seen on the page that the info applies to Tiberian Sun: Firestorm too.

So, you're wrong again. Have a nice day.
Old December 20, 2002, 16:04   #74
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
@Panag:

This is from Westwood's own Support pages -

The quote is from

this page

Even though the Above text only says Tiberian Sun, it can be seen on the page that the info applies to Tiberian Sun: Firestorm too.

So, you're wrong again. Have a nice day.
hi ,

hey , read again , and then you shall see the wrong versus right ; they could have worked on something that does not need the opening of certain ports , is that clear or not

they could have worked and fixed this a long time ago , ......

also those ports from C&C work without a problem behind zonealarm pro , ....... if you download the update of course , but since you cant play without getting it , .....

have a nice day
Old December 20, 2002, 16:14   #75
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hey , read again , and then you shall see the wrong versus right ; they could have worked on something that does not need the opening of certain ports , is that clear or not
No, that's not very clear I'm afraid - a firewall blocks traffic to and from your computer - a game played over internet needs to generate traffic to and from your computer. If you want to play the game, you need to disable parts of your firewall. There is absolutely no way to avoid this - not for any game or any firewall.

Quote:
they could have worked and fixed this a long time ago , ......
The problem was solved a long time ago, and the solution is simple - disable your software firewalls, and disconnect the hardware firewalls - then, and only then will they no longer give you problems (i.e. require setup) playing games over the internet

Quote:
also those ports from C&C work without a problem behind zonealarm pro , ....... if you download the update of course , but since you cant play without getting it , .....
They work behind the non-pro edition of ZoneAlarm too, if you remember to give the required programs access to the internet and possibly allow some as servers too. The fact that they do, is not through brilliance of the game developers, but only the (allegded) brilliance of the firewall programmers.
Old December 20, 2002, 16:27   #76
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

No, that's not very clear I'm afraid - a firewall blocks traffic to and from your computer - a game played over internet needs to generate traffic to and from your computer. If you want to play the game, you need to disable parts of your firewall. There is absolutely no way to avoid this - not for any game or any firewall.

The problem was solved a long time ago, and the solution is simple - disable your software firewalls, and disconnect the hardware firewalls - then, and only then will they no longer give you problems (i.e. require setup) playing games over the internet

They work behind the non-pro edition of ZoneAlarm too, if you remember to give the required programs access to the internet and possibly allow some as servers too. The fact that they do, is not through brilliance of the game developers, but only the (allegded) brilliance of the firewall programmers.
hi ,

have you ever heard of letting traffic true but being checked , ...... there are some firewall's here you can do this , .......

and ahem , with C&C the did look to all the firewalls on the market , ......
something someone should have do in this case also , ......

have a nice day
Old December 20, 2002, 16:35   #77
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Quote:
have you ever heard of letting traffic true but being checked , ...... there are some firewall's here you can do this , .......
Yes, and again it is a feature provided by the firewalls in question not the games or other software.

Quote:
and ahem , with C&C the did look to all the firewalls on the market , ......
something someone should have do in this case also , ......
What exactly do you mean by this? I don't see setup directions for all firewalls, if that's what you mean - in fact, what i saw is this
Quote:
From Westwood Support
If you do not know how to configure your firewall, please consult your firewall documentation, contact your system administrator, or contact your Internet service provider.
So basically, Westwood also say that if you have a firewall and can't figure out how to make the game work through it, it really isn't their problem.

Which, btw, I think they are totally entitled to say.
Old December 20, 2002, 16:44   #78
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, and again it is a feature provided by the firewalls in question not the games or other software.

What exactly do you mean by this? I don't see setup directions for all firewalls, if that's what you mean - in fact, what i saw is this

So basically, Westwood also say that if you have a firewall and can't figure out how to make the game work through it, it really isn't their problem.

Which, btw, I think they are totally entitled to say.
hi ,

they just simply took all the popular firewalls and try to play with the walls on , ......

when later some did some upgrades and other stuff , some patches where made , when you want to play on the net , you shall be asked to download these , ....

as far as a firm being responsable , well if you sell a product and dont care that half your customers cant do anything with it , well you aint going to get good PR , it IS their bussiness , .....

have a nice day
Old December 20, 2002, 17:10   #79
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Quote:
they just simply took all the popular firewalls and try to play with the walls on , ......
But that doesn't mean you still don't have to setup the firewalls to use the game. Firaxis did the same, btw.

Quote:
when later some did some upgrades and other stuff , some patches where made , when you want to play on the net , you shall be asked to download these , ....
When who did upgrades and to what?? Which patches? This is not very clear to me, I'm afraid. Are you talking about firewall upgrades, game upgrades, firmware upgrades here?

Quote:
as far as a firm being responsable , well if you sell a product and dont care that half your customers cant do anything with it , well you aint going to get good PR , it IS their bussiness , .....
They do care, but they cannot assume responsibility. If you buy a firewall (software or hardware) and don't know how to use, it is really no-one's problem but your own.

Besides, what can they do? There are countless firewalls (software and hardware) available - do you want them to check the game with each and every one and write detailed instructions on how to set them up?? That is really not their business, IMHO. If the firewall manufacturer/programmer didn't provide detailed instructions on how to do port forwarding or DMZ or similar, then it is a matter between the user of the firewall and the producer, and not something that a 3rd party (game or software developer) should be dragged into. If you get 'missing dll' errors when starting up Windows, and you have Civ3 installed, are you also going to call Firaxis/Infogrames about it??
Old December 20, 2002, 18:10   #80
Acererak
Chieftain

Quote:
hi ,

with C&C firestorm its not needed to open those , .......

no ports should be open , do you want to give your carkeys to the guy at the bar when you go for a swim , no , they could have thought about this when they made it , .....

have a nice day
Have you any idea how TCP and UDP actually work? In order for one machine to talk to another via either TCP or UDP, they must have ports open. Period. That goes for communicating with anything: games, surfing the web, chatting, etc.

Now, in most cases, if you're not hosting, you normally don't need to explicity open any ports because no one needs to contact you. Most routers and firewalls automatically allow incoming traffic back to the originating port on your computer, provided your computer initiated contact (which, if you are simply joining a game is usually the case). So even if you are just browsing the web, you have ports that are implicitly open, no matter how briefly.

If you're hosting, by definition, you want other computers to connect to you. Unless you have a completely open system, you must open ports on the router and possibly set up rules on your firewall. There are some routers/firewalls out there that have some built in logic for games (e.g. Quake) and provide a simple interface to allow you to play Quake. Behind the scenes though, they are really opening ports up and doing port forwarding. There's no way around it.

There are also firewalls that inspect the packets that come through them. This is called SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) and is an advanced technique most users are not qualified to do and not all routers and firewalls support it. There's also little need for it if you're just playing games and surfing the web.

Giving my car keys to the guy at the bar? Far from it. I know what's going on behind the scenes. You, obviously, are blissfully unaware.

Enjoy your self-certified mastery of networking....you are the only one who believes it.

Have a nice holiday.

Last edited by Acererak; December 23, 2002 at 16:05.
Old December 24, 2002, 05:12   #81
Asterothe
Settler

Local Time: 10:17
Hey Acererak thank you very much.
I have been waiting for this for days.
At last somebody cared for me .

Quote:
Originally posted by Acererak

I host Direct IP games behind a Linksys router without any problems at all. You just have to open up the proper ports as mentioned in the readme.txt file that comes with the 1.14f patch.

To "open" up the proper ports, I use port forwarding.

• Jot down the IP address of your computer. You can obtain this by opening up a command prompt and typing "ipconfig". The IP address will be 192.168.1.xxx.

• Log onto your Linksys router.

• Click on the 'Advanced' tab.

• Click on Forwarding. Here is where you forward the ports specified in the readme.txt file.

• The Ext. Port column lists the External Ports (those on your router) that you want to forward to your computer. You can put in a range or specific port numbers. (Obtained from the readme.txt depending on if you're hosting or using direct IP or Gamespy).

• Check both the TCP and UDP check boxes if you are unsure about the specific protocol being utilized.

• In the IP Address column, you want to fill in the 'xxx' from your IP address you noted above.

• Next, check the 'Enable' checkboxes for each port forwarded. (For security, you should uncheck the 'Enable' checkboxes when you're done playing. THe next time you want to play you can simply recheck these boxes)

• Finally, click apply.

e.g. Since I host Direct IP games, I open the following ports:
2302 (TCP and UDP)
6500 (TCP and UDP)
131319 (UDP)

That's all there is too it.
Old December 24, 2002, 09:05   #82
WarpStorm
King

Anyone having problems may consider installing DirectX 9.

Quote:
from MS DirectX site
Q. Are there any immediate benefits to installing DirectX 9.0?

A. Improvements to DirectPlay let computers within a Windows Me or Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing network connect with each other, as well as with players elsewhere on the Internet. Users with modern UPnP network routers no longer need to configure them for DirectPlay, because DirectPlay will open and close the multiplayer gaming ports as needed.

Q. Are there any known issues with regard to DirectX 9.0?

A. Due to enhancements in the way DirectPlay functions, it is strongly recommended that all users who want to join or host multiplayer games upgrade to DirectX 9.0. A user with earlier versions of DirectX may have trouble joining or hosting games, or my see a significant performance reduction when playing with users who have 9.0 installed.
Old December 24, 2002, 09:26   #83
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Thanks for that tip, Warpstorm - didn't know it was released yet

Last edited by isak; December 25, 2002 at 08:23.
Old December 24, 2002, 09:54   #84
WarpStorm
King

I do have to point out that once installed a new version DirectX is nearly impossible to remove if you are on Windows 98. On the newer OSs you can (and should) set up a restore point. I'm not saying MS writes buggy code. I'm saying have a backup plan.
Old December 24, 2002, 14:15   #85
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

Dir X 9 works great

have a nice day
Old December 25, 2002, 08:58   #86
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

I have updated the first post, collecting some of the info from the 1.14f readme and this thread (as well as the 'twin' thread on CFC).

Let me know if you have suggestions, comments, critiscism or any other kind of help to offer.
Old December 26, 2002, 15:17   #87
4eyes
Settler

Crashing to desktop with 1.14f patch installed
Hi,

I keep crashing to the desktop after I play online for a couple of hours. I dont get an error message at all so I dont have any idea how to solve the problem.

The 1.14f (euro) patch is allready installed but the problem is still there.

System:

AMD 2000xp
Chaintech Apogee
Chaintech Geforce 4
3x 512 DDR
Asus DVD player
2x 80 GB IBM Deskstar (not in raid)
Creative Audigy
Windows XP professional

Hopefully someone has a solution to this annoying problem.

(sorry this was to be posted in "ptw patchf bug & crash reports" topic)

Last edited by 4eyes; December 26, 2002 at 16:37.
Old December 28, 2002, 13:59   #88
Panag
Emperor

Re: Crashing to desktop with 1.14f patch installed
Quote:
Originally posted by 4eyes
Hi,

I keep crashing to the desktop after I play online for a couple of hours. I dont get an error message at all so I dont have any idea how to solve the problem.

The 1.14f (euro) patch is allready installed but the problem is still there.

System:

AMD 2000xp
Chaintech Apogee
Chaintech Geforce 4
3x 512 DDR
Asus DVD player
2x 80 GB IBM Deskstar (not in raid)
Creative Audigy
Windows XP professional

Hopefully someone has a solution to this annoying problem.

(sorry this was to be posted in "ptw patchf bug & crash reports" topic)
hi ,

try to delete all the civ files , look manually for files like infogrames , civ , civilization , etc , .... delete them , reboot and reinstall , give it a try , if you still have problems post again , .....

have a nice day
Old January 22, 2003, 18:56   #89
Stygian
Settler

Local Time: 10:17
anyone got it working with linux as router?
Hi folks,

I've got a linux-router with some 2.2.x-kernel doing masquerading.

Joining and playing a game works fine but hostings seems not possible.

I tried portforwarding and tcpdump shows packets received to my local pc but civ3-ptw (1.14) seems to send answers or messages from port 2302 only to broadcast address 255.255.255.255.

Any ideas or hints on how to get it working?

Thanks,

Thomas
Old February 4, 2003, 18:57   #90
JRWMD
Settler

Local Time: 03:17
Hotseat crash
I am able to play and host games on Gamespy (yes it took some doing...)

My Civ buddy is not able to connect to me, however, either via Gamespy or direct IP.

We found that he cannot even host a hotseat game; the game immediately crashes when he tries to set it up. Civ3X has to close, please send info to MS etc.

This does not sound like a firewall problem, but I just thought I'd ask here if anyone had any ideas.

TIA, JR