Old November 2, 2002, 20:02   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
People with copies of PTW (post here)
EDIT: I have added the list of people with the game. My original post appears below that

----------------------

People with copies of PTW:

Trip's Team
Apocalypse
Trip

Trash Trip's Ass
notyoueither
Randolph

Glory of War
donegeal
GhengisFarb
UnOrthOdOx

Role-play Team
Arnelos
GodKing

Unaligned
Reggy
ruby_maser
CiverDan

-----------------------

YEAH!!!! I now have a copy (not yet installed...) of PTW!!!

It's too bad I'll be too busy with the RL elections here in the U.S. to actually play the game much until Wednesday

Post here if you have a copy of PTW or you plan to have one before this multi-team PTW game starts (I guess pretty soon?). That would be good to figure out so we can try to even out those people among the various teams.

Just a thought...

Last edited by Arnelos; November 5, 2002 at 01:38.
Old November 2, 2002, 20:44   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:17
What about the rest of the world???
Old November 2, 2002, 20:59   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:17
Surprise! I have it.

I think we should wait for the Euro ship date.
Old November 2, 2002, 23:02   #4
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

i think we should count Quebec as part of Europe

i dont have it, but im getting it first chance i have to visit a good store.

[Edit]update: went to local Futureshop today, on their website they say they have a sale for PTW, 5$ off... i went, the guy said shipment is late by 4 days already... those damned teamsters!!!![/edit]

Last edited by Ninot; November 3, 2002 at 18:14.
Old November 3, 2002, 00:05   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Got my copy Thursday but probably won't install it until Monday night.
Old November 3, 2002, 02:00   #6
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I've installed mine. I'm downloading the patch now though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old November 3, 2002, 05:17   #7
Reggy
Civilization III PBEMAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 02:17
Got it, installed it and played it.

Looking forward to a PBEM game!
Old November 3, 2002, 08:14   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
I've installed mine. I'm downloading the patch now though.
I't been out less than a week and already needs a patch?

Standard Operating Procedure for Firaxis I guess.
Old November 3, 2002, 09:01   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Standard operating procedure for a developer who gives a sh*t about the players when the publisher kidnaps a version and goes to press...

Old November 3, 2002, 11:16   #10
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

yeah you'd like to think that's what happened, why is it people always think the developers care about all the people and whatever's wrong with a game is the publishers fault? Here's a newsflash, the Devs care about money too.
Old November 3, 2002, 15:34   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:17
So Firaxis purposely let out a game that was incomplete, and again decides to patch it with their own money? (just in case you didn't know, there have been 5 free patches for Civ 3-PTW) The time they spend patching the game they don't get compensated for. They do it because they know they released an incomplete game, and they care about the people who want to play it so they want to give them a better playing experience. I'm sure Sid is putting a gun to all the team members who frequent this forum too, right?
Old November 3, 2002, 19:23   #12
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
I will have it tommarow....and I will have the patch on it before I play it at all...
Old November 3, 2002, 21:18   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
So Firaxis purposely let out a game that was incomplete, and again decides to patch it with their own money? (just in case you didn't know, there have been 5 free patches for Civ 3-PTW) The time they spend patching the game they don't get compensated for. They do it because they know they released an incomplete game, and they care about the people who want to play it so they want to give them a better playing experience. I'm sure Sid is putting a gun to all the team members who frequent this forum too, right?
If the game is as buggy as Civ3 was (unwinable-you literally couldn't finish the game) then the developer would NEVER have gotten another contract and they would have been out of jobs. So, it was definitely in their interest to create patches.

There are also many design and programming issues that demostrate Firaxis' unprofessional lack of knowledge in the programming department. And if the only reason there was a patch was because of an Infogrames deadline (note that Infrogrames is notorious for producing substandard products and not caring if they actually work), why did it take 3 patches to fix (almost) all the bugs? It was on their time, they could have completed all the missing code and released a single fix patch.

IMO the single biggest motivation behind the patches is that Firaxis knows the majority of the Civ series franchise's market is repeat buyers and they want to eliminate as much ill feelings in order to maintain their position as the series' developer.

Note, that I still bought PTW, I'm not one of those weirdos who will refuse to buy something out of some political agenda against the software company. Civ is the reason I bought my first computer, Civ2 is the reason I bought my second computer (ran too slow on the first one) and Civ3 is the reason I bought my current computer. I just wish either 1) Firaxis improves its programming skills, or 2) Infogrames goes bankrupt and a decent software company buys the rights to Civ.
Old November 3, 2002, 22:50   #14
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Obviously they are going to patch it because they wantede to get it out as early as possible. Also I'm sure that the people working on the patch are getting paid, (though maybe by firaxis instead of (I'm drawing a blank on the publisher so I'm kind of guessing) infogrames (?), because it's impossible to have a group of people working exclusivly on one thing and not get paid, the only other explanation is that they are doing it part time, in which case maybe that's why there are often new problems which each patch.

Also I wouldn't really say they "frequent" the forums so much as they sometimes post when they probably have days off or during down time between projects. Also if they didn't release patches (or if they ever DARED to charge for them) they would have so many returns it would make their head's spin. I hate how people like to blame publishers for everything and seem to think that developers are forced work 24 hours a day. Look these people have deadlines like alot of people, and if they don't meet the deadline, and they know this. It's not like the publishers just come in one day and say "ok give us the game we want our money!" the devs have to atleast have a game that will atleast run on most systems. I mean we've all known that this game was due Fall\Q4 of 2002 for months, just imagen how long they've known for.
Old November 4, 2002, 08:41   #15
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I Have a copy
Old November 4, 2002, 10:14   #16
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Got it over the weekend. Probably will not get to play it until this comming weekend however.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 4, 2002, 12:13   #17
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

PTW
I'm up and running too.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 4, 2002, 12:19   #18
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I've got it, loaded it on my laptop, and am taking it on my business trips to play/learn. Should be ready to go full bore when I get back home in a few weeks.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 4, 2002, 12:27   #19
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Well I think we all know just how productive that "business trip" is going to be...
Old November 4, 2002, 15:00   #20
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Hey, I get finished at 5 PM each night, gotta have SOMETHING to do in the hotel room...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 4, 2002, 16:05   #21
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Cidifer
Obviously they are going to patch it because they wantede to get it out as early as possible. Also I'm sure that the people working on the patch are getting paid, (though maybe by firaxis instead of (I'm drawing a blank on the publisher so I'm kind of guessing) infogrames (?), because it's impossible to have a group of people working exclusivly on one thing and not get paid, the only other explanation is that they are doing it part time, in which case maybe that's why there are often new problems which each patch.

Also I wouldn't really say they "frequent" the forums so much as they sometimes post when they probably have days off or during down time between projects. Also if they didn't release patches (or if they ever DARED to charge for them) they would have so many returns it would make their head's spin. I hate how people like to blame publishers for everything and seem to think that developers are forced work 24 hours a day. Look these people have deadlines like alot of people, and if they don't meet the deadline, and they know this. It's not like the publishers just come in one day and say "ok give us the game we want our money!" the devs have to atleast have a game that will atleast run on most systems. I mean we've all known that this game was due Fall\Q4 of 2002 for months, just imagen how long they've known for.
No, they're not working for free, but they are spending the money they made, without getting extra money from the patches (they still only sell so many copies, and they've revealed that less than 1 out of every 10 people who buy Civ 3/PTW will ever patch it... that's not a large demographic). Because of that, they lose more by releasing it early than waiting, since only 1/10th of the people who buy the thing will ever see it work. Why would Firaxis want to do that?

Oh yeah, I have PTW also, since we're making a list. :P
Old November 4, 2002, 16:21   #22
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

this might be slightly off topic, but still related;

What are we gonna with patches?? in mid-game??

I'm not talking about the next , but any patches after that (if any ) , when gameplay is altered/different.
Let's say for example a UU stat's are changed,.....
Old November 4, 2002, 16:43   #23
Jon Shafer

I really don't see any gameplay patches for a while, but considering the game's nature, I'm sure at least one additional one will be included. I think we ought to upgrade using the next patch, and no others beyond that, unless a real need presents itself.
Old November 4, 2002, 16:49   #24
alva
Deity

so you install the game twice? or how does that work?
Old November 4, 2002, 16:51   #25
Jon Shafer

Yep. At one point I had Civ 3 installed 3 times on my computer by accident.
Old November 4, 2002, 18:17   #26
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I have my copy
Old November 4, 2002, 20:47   #27
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

As all versions of civ are to be compatible with PtW, whenever a new patch is out is is not unreasonable for everybody to upgrade. Before we had problems that the Jap version was not being patched, along with the Mac version. And the Euro versions were behind in the time frame of receiving the patches from the NA's.........

Those are no longer issues, so if / when a patch is released, it is not unreasonable to expenct to upgrade.

Kinda OT, but wanted to answer with IMO

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 5, 2002, 01:39   #28
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

It looks like every team has at least 6-8 people now and every team has at least 2 people with copies of PTW... so no worries there
Old November 5, 2002, 14:59   #29
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
Crap! Every store I went to didn't have it! Those bastards! I had to order it through Amazon.com and I'm to cheap to pay for shipping so I'll have it no later then the 21st.
Old November 5, 2002, 15:23   #30
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

If there is a Gamestop (or associated store: Babbages, Software ETC.) near you, try there. They are the only ones near me to have it in stock. Actually, their websit will tell you their stores in your area and how many copies are left in stock so you don't have to waste time/gas driving to one.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby