Old November 3, 2002, 01:50   #1
Medge420
Settler

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
capturing cities
Hey I just got play the world today. It has been months since I have played. I began to play and as I attacked an opposing civilization I found I couldnt capture their cities. I could only raze them. I have it set on regicide and hurried production. I have looked through the book and I cant find anything about it. if someone could help me out it would be greaty appreciated. Thanks
Old November 3, 2002, 02:26   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:18
A patch made it so that you could not capture a size 1 town, unless it had a certain amount of culture. It is automatically razed.
Old November 3, 2002, 02:54   #3
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 20:18
I assume this was to prevent the player bombarding a city to death and then walking in to take it, right?

It will make me change my strat a bit, maybe I'll carry some more settlers. Though generally I go for midgame artillery rushes and bring cities down to pop 1 to prevent culture flips, but if there isn't much culture then it won't really be a problem I guess.
Old November 3, 2002, 02:55   #4
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 04:18
Did you have Elimination Enabled? If so, then the cities are destroyed once the first city is captured, this includes by CF.
Old November 3, 2002, 04:38   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Bambul
I assume this was to prevent the player bombarding a city to death and then walking in to take it, right?

It will make me change my strat a bit, maybe I'll carry some more settlers. Though generally I go for midgame artillery rushes and bring cities down to pop 1 to prevent culture flips, but if there isn't much culture then it won't really be a problem I guess.
I forget now what the buzz was at the time, but not that, since you will be able to capture a city that was bombed down to size1 (it will have the 10 culture).
Old November 3, 2002, 06:34   #6
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 03:18
Autorazing was introduced to prevent early warmongers from following AI settlers and capturing the newly founded cities without building settlers of their own.