Old November 3, 2002, 06:58   #1
lancealot
Settler

Local Time: 10:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PTW. Any major improvements to the game core problems?
Hello there.

My first post here so be gentle with me

I am a huge fan of civ series and i remember all those nights in the years ago playing the original civ, palying civ2 to death and even SMAC.

However civ3 was a dissapointment to me. The reasons for that numerous but probably many of you are aware that the AI is problematic (i tore my hair off my head many times in frustration when the AI city building method made me to jump from the roof, for example).
In addition i possess a very powerfull computer which didn't help the game to move faster. i could have waited for long periods of time till the AI was willing to make a move.
third - i used to beat civ2 in any level but i found the game frighteningly difficult to play in the 3rd level and up.
So i abandoned the game till all those problems solved sometimes in the future.

Now i learned that PTW has hit the shelves. Has any of these problems solved? is the game more playable right now?

thank you in advance and happy civing..

Lancealot
Old November 3, 2002, 08:18   #2
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 12:19
Civ3 is a different game compared to civ 2. The core game CONCEPTS (NOT PROBLEMS!!!) are the same.

EDIT: But AI seems to move faster in PtW.
Old November 3, 2002, 08:22   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:19
No. Sorry.

The AI will still build till they drop. That is how many humans win. It is an effective strategy.

The turn times have not been reduced. It is something you live with or leave it.

The AI is too hard? Come again? Sorry, no solution there. Actually, the AI has been juiced a little bit more as far as I can tell. For me, this and MP will keep me playing longer.

I do not want to be rough, sorry if I seemed that way. However, I do not want to sugar coat it. None of your 3 concerns have been 'fixed'. Many would not like it if 1 and 3 were 'fixed'. 2 would be nice, but that ain't gonna change much at this point.
Old November 3, 2002, 08:50   #4
Methril
Never Ending StoriesNationStates
Prince

None of those things have been "fixed", as I think Firaxis actually included it in purpose. Culture flipping was fixed though.
Old November 3, 2002, 12:14   #5
Effraides
Settler

Local Time: 10:19
At least the speed between turns was fixed... PTW is much faster.
Old November 3, 2002, 14:38   #6
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 05:19
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
The AI will still build till they drop. That is how many humans win. It is an effective strategy.
It's my strategy, why should I begrudge the AI doing it right back?
Old November 3, 2002, 15:25   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

It does seem a bit faster. Havent' tried it out on any large maps, though, but it does definitely seem faster.
Old November 3, 2002, 17:50   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

People are finding it faster? Cool. I never really noticed. But then again I never had a problem with the speed before.