Old December 4, 2002, 00:53   #121
Traelin
Prince

Local Time: 05:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by woody
Did you even read what I wrote? I said I wanted to see a review from someone who didn't pay the rip-off price of $30.
Actually here's what you said: "BTW, I have yet to read any positive review from someone who didn't actually buy the game. "

So yes, I read what you wrote. What do I care what other people think if they haven't purchased the game and experienced it in its totality? Those reviewers are glorified movie critics. Nothing more, nothing less. They play the game for an hour, then write a "review".
Old December 4, 2002, 00:59   #122
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Tau
Some people are satisfied with less than what was advertised. Some people bought PtW solely for the Single Player improvements. Most of them seems to be happy with the product. Why complain about broken MP when you aren't going to play MP in the first place?
No, I think people are satisifed with what "satisfies" them. If they aren't satisfied, or if they are wary and/or paranoid consumers, they are hopefully smart enough to read Consumer Reports or return the product.

People who defend the game aren't deluding themselves. They like it.
Old December 4, 2002, 01:05   #123
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
The fact that PtW is broken is not an opinion. PtW is a multiplayer add-on. It didn't work at all out of the box, and it still doesn't work very well after two patches.
Fact: PTW was never "broken" for everyone. That automatically invalidates your argument.

Quote:
Just because there are some people foolish enough to delude themselves into believing their $30 was money well spent, doesn't make it so. "A fool and his money are soon parted." There are always people willing to overpay for things; the fact remains they overpaid.
Fact: Broken or not, if people liked what they got, the purchase was worth it. Why can't you understand that? A game's purpose is to entertain. If it does, what more criteria is there for how good the game is? How could you possibly deny this?

I used to work at a middle school during the summer. Lots of kids there played warhammer. I have always thought warhammer sucked and was far, far too expensive for what you got out of it. But for people who really like it, it's a worthwhile purpose. It's an opinion, not a fact, and the fact that I don't like the game doesn't mean other people's purchases were foolhardy.

Why can't you and Coracle get this? What if, oh wonder of wonders, your so-called "faithful" or "fanboys" like the game because... gasp... they like it?
Old December 4, 2002, 09:34   #124
woody
Warlord

Local Time: 10:20
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Why can't you and Coracle get this? What if, oh wonder of wonders, your so-called "faithful" or "fanboys" like the game because... gasp... they like it?
I never disputed that the fan-boys don't like the game. As broken as it is, they probably do like it. But just because a few people like it, doesn't make it a patch worth $30.

Just because I could sell a glass of water for $30 to a person dying of thirst in the desert, doesn't make that glass of water worth $30 to normal people.

But, let's just wait and see how PtW does in the marketplace. How many copies did Civ3 sell? Over a million? I'll be startled if PtW sells even 10% of that amount... and most of those will be to people suckered into buying sight unseen
Old December 4, 2002, 17:28   #125
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 04:20
Who decides who's normal?

By normal do you mean those people who whine and cry about everything not exactly to their liking until they are finally proven to be the trolls they are. Then they slither away like previous whiners that have disgraced this forum.

If that's your definition of normal then you are basing your world views around yourself. Which in turn is considered unhealthy.

So who's got the problem again?

It's more than worth $30 to me because I have enjoyed it for hours at a time. It definately beats the taking the wife out to dinner and a movie (about $125 w/ babysitter) only to find out she has a headache when we get home.

Now let's rest awhile..................
Old December 4, 2002, 17:36   #126
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Just because I could sell a glass of water for $30 to a person dying of thirst in the desert, doesn't make that glass of water worth $30 to normal people.
You're confusing "normal" with "average". "Normal" is a fairly relative term. Society deems certain things normal and abnormal, such as serial killing is abnormal. But "average" is more of an absolute, a statistical measure. So with these definitions, the "average" person doesn't buy video games in the first place. The "average" person doesn't even have enough food to sate himself/herself. But as they say, the "average" person has one boob and one ahem ball.

Normality has nothing to do with whether or not someone likes PTW. Now if you had said the average person doesn't, then I'd grant you that. But there's a lot of things the average person doesn't like.

But now that you've shared your opinions, can you move on to other things?
Old December 4, 2002, 17:40   #127
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
It definately beats the taking the wife out to dinner and a movie (about $125 w/ babysitter) only to find out she has a headache when we get home.
Oh man, that sucks.
Old December 4, 2002, 18:15   #128
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

What it is: just another way for Firaxis to get cash from the Faithful who'd have paid fifty dollars.

I could care less about the superficial graphics or new lame civs. I hated the AI since I first started playing it. They "tweaked" it? How?

For example, the Diplomatic/Trade AI has always been stupid. The human would get blamed fior things he never did, or a very minor rep hit would last for millennia and civs he wouldn't meet for a thousand years would hate him. Absurd and unrealistic.

Another example. The human has a trade deal set with a civ. he offers - as a free bonus - several additional resources. The braindead AI insults the human and cancels the entire deal - a deal that would have been great for the AI. Stupid.

Did PTW "tweak" REX/settler diarrhea?? AI settlers march right into my territory; I tell them to leave; they ignore me and keep coming; I attack - and I am regarded as a warmonger hated forever by everyone.
If I don;t do that the AI settlers will soon teleport themselves to the other side of my civ and built towns on open tiles they should not even know exist.

Does the AI still invade in the same banal uninspired way? I got real tired easily channeling his forces into "kill zones" on grassland where I attacked him. Anyone who played the game knows what I mean.

So, just itemize exactly how the AI has been "tweaked" and improved; I'm really curious.
I don't see how i'm supposed to convince you PtW adds new things you'd like if you didn't like Civ3 Coracle. AI seems like is stronger, build wonders more, etc... Doesn't seem like much but even Soren's "slight" tweaks affect the game alot. Still some diplomacy screwups I think, though that isn't too hard to avoid if you're just careful.

Yes, the AI still expands like crazy, but then again so do I, so I never saw it as a problem. The AI can't teleport, unless you try to force them to leave, then like others have said how far in determines where they go.

And let me get this right, you're complaining about being able to cheat if you try? Are ANY games fun for you at all? You could just play without using said exploits, you know. But since you don't like said game why the hell are you even playing in the first place? Go get a new hobby or something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woody: You have a remarkable talent for ignoring all but the most inane comments directed to you, choosing to reply to them instead of valid arguements. Its really quite impressive.
Old December 4, 2002, 18:35   #129
Cyclotron
King

Quote:
I never disputed that the fan-boys don't like the game. As broken as it is, they probably do like it. But just because a few people like it, doesn't make it a patch worth $30.
Good lord, this is exactly what I mean. The patch is woth $30 to people who like it. Worthiness is not an objective thing that you decide. Worthiness is an opinion!

Oh, an that comment about "normal" just significantly raised the apparent ignorance level of your posts.

Clearly, ACooper has it right on: For you, "normal" people are those who think the way you do, and the general worthiness of all products depends on how much you personally like them. Woody, you live in a very twisted world.
Old December 5, 2002, 10:49   #130
woody
Warlord

Good, God! People have taken my use of the term "normal" completely out of context. I used it in my dying-of-thirst example to contrast a dying person and a "normal" person. That is, a normal person wouldn't pay $30 for a glass of water.

If you prefer the term "non-fan-boy", then substitute that. For classic example of the fan-boys, all you have to do is read the first several posts after any announcement of a new patch. You get these fan-boys kissing Firaxis's feet, like they've blessed them or something.

People should not be falling over with praise when patches are released. The whole reason why the patch was released was because the game didn't work. Yet, the fan boys never seem to care if they bought a broken game! If you buy a DVD player and it doesn't work, do you fall over with praise when Sony replaces it with one that partially works?

Okay, fan-boys are certainly not normal.
Old December 5, 2002, 11:29   #131
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 04:20
The problem is that we are here because we enjoy the game and we enjoy discussing the game. For most of us the game works fine and we enjoy the time we spend with it and each other.

When someone who clearly does not like the game comes back over and over it clearly indicates that the problem they are having is not so much with the game but a personal problem. I sure many of us would be glad to help if you can tell us what specifically the problem is for you.

But enough about that....

So, the #1 reason to buy Play the World is that it works for most normal people.
Old December 5, 2002, 12:43   #132
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
The problem is that we are here because we enjoy the game and we enjoy discussing the game. For most of us the game works fine and we enjoy the time we spend with it and each other.
But you guys were supporting PtW when it clearly did not work. It's only the latest patch that has made it barely playable (if you consider drops and stuff playable).

Quote:
When someone who clearly does not like the game comes back over and over it clearly indicates that the problem they are having is not so much with the game but a personal problem.
As I've said many times... many many many times... I like Civ3. What I don't like is companies continually shipping broken products.

Quote:
I sure many of us would be glad to help if you can tell us what specifically the problem is for you.
There are two problems:

1. Firaxis shipping crap, and never learning or caring about their mistakes.

2. Fan-boys thinking that broken software is somehow the greatest thing since sliced bread, and worshipping a company that clearly doesn't have the customer's interest at heart.
Old December 5, 2002, 12:52   #133
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 11:20
Quote:
There are two problems:

2. Fan-boys thinking that broken software is somehow the greatest thing since sliced bread, and worshipping a company that clearly doesn't have the customer's interest at heart.
OK, woody, sorry to say so but there is nobody able to help you with these problems on this site. Would you consider moving to someplace else or just putting up with the fact you do have these two problems, while others may not?
Old December 5, 2002, 13:18   #134
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Quote:

But you guys were supporting PtW when it clearly did not work. It's only the latest patch that has made it barely playable (if you consider drops and stuff playable).

As I've said many times... many many many times... I like Civ3. What I don't like is companies continually shipping broken products.

There are two problems:

Play the World clearly not playabe on initial release? The first night I got it I went and played a couple games, one was just a test I quit out of, other had a synch error. Played with someone the next day wanting a quick game, ended on two seperated continents when it was supposed to be Pangea, so we waited till 1000BC or so to save and continue later. Meant to get back to that guy but forgot about it. I was able to play games, admittedly it was laggy, not sure what latest patch does for it.

Haven't been playing MP since really, not because of lag but because I really didn't buy the game for MP, I got it for SP. You've got to understand that-
A: Play the World has never been broken for everyone, only some.
B: Not everyone who bought Play the World bought it for MP.
C: Just because you don't like the game doesn't mean we should all agree by default.

And really, who are you fooling with that "getting Firaxis to stop shipping crap". You, Coracle, and others keep going ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON about Firaxis, but all you're doing is posting whiny threads/replys on boards. You think Firaxis really gives a damn if you question their practices on some forum? You want to change something go start lobbying for consumer protection laws for software sold, get popular orginizations to boycott Firaxis/Infrogrames. But don't convince yourself this whining is actually doing anything or even the right thing to do.
Old December 5, 2002, 13:51   #135
Cyclotron
King

Question: Why is it that this "fan-boy" interest in a game is somehow construed to mean that they worship the company? Could it be that they like the product? Personally, I don't even know what other products were from Firaxis besides Civ3 and PTW, why is it that my appreciation of a game is somehow worshipping of the company?

Let me get this straight: You are allowed to complain about the game, and that is "normal," and your views apply to all people, but I am not allowed to praise the game because that makes me "abnormal" and some kind of mindless game-praising drone.

I see a double standard here...

Quote:
Firaxis shipping crap, and never learning or caring about their mistakes.
Ah yes, releasing multiple patches to correct issues really shows that Firaxis doesn't care about their mistakes.

Quote:
Fan-boys thinking that broken software is somehow the greatest thing since sliced bread,
Since the software was not broken for everyone, and now is not broken for most people, I can't quite see what you mean.

Quote:
and worshipping a company that clearly doesn't have the customer's interest at heart.
Sorry, but I don't give a flying **** what any game company's interests are. If its a good game, I buy it, and hope I enjoy it. I can't possibly see what the motives of a company matter to me if all I care about is the product.