Old February 19, 2003, 20:30   #31
Kal-el
Warlord

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
let me know what youthink of it when you do.
Old February 19, 2003, 21:30   #32
Mad Mariner
Settler

Local Time: 10:21
My apoligies if this hasa been answered but is this mod available for the unpatched play the world?
Old February 19, 2003, 21:32   #33
Mad Mariner
Settler

Oops sorry about the double post but it was such a horendous spelling mistake felt it was my duty to rectify it, the word i was looking for was apologies (lol blimey is that the right spelling?)
Old February 19, 2003, 21:45   #34
Kal-el
Warlord

I don't believe it will work for the unpatched version of PtW. However, there is a version for the vanilla version of Civ3.
Old February 19, 2003, 21:49   #35
Mad Mariner
Settler

Once again many thanx But er well excuse my thickness but i am prety new to the civ scene so....wtf is vanilla civ3? and does it go well with with strawberry sauce?
Old February 19, 2003, 21:57   #36
Kal-el
Warlord

vanilla civ3 is non-ptW civ3. I will not bother to ask why you can't patch your version of ptw.
Old February 19, 2003, 22:04   #37
Mad Mariner
Settler

Lol its not that i cant patch my version its that i prefer not too, spose the reason is i like games in their "pure" form, i like editing games to my preference and in my experience (sadly only of c&c) the best utilities and fan designed bits and bobs work on the 1st released version best, i mean im strugggling to even find something as simple as a save game editor for PTW (like i said im new to civ3) and more to the point is the game worth patching? do they add anything to single play or are they just designed to make online play additions? (as in c&c)
Old February 19, 2003, 22:13   #38
Kal-el
Warlord

I would patch it as the original version was far from ready for release but Infogrames rushed Firaxis and so Firaxis had to release the game before it was ready.
Old February 20, 2003, 08:37   #39
MotownDennis
Warlord

Local Time: 05:21
Tried DYP last night for the first time. This thing rocks! Why couldn't Firaxis have created Civ to be played like this from the get-go?

Impressive job Kal!

I assume this mod is ever-evolving and will have more patches released? Lots of errors to fix, but, even so, is much more fun than regular civ.
Old February 20, 2003, 13:38   #40
Kal-el
Warlord

1) Glad you like it.
2) Because I don't work for them
3) Thanks
4) Yep, ever evolving. I assume most of the errors you speak f are in the civilopedia. That is hard to nail down because the rest of the mod keeps changing.
Old February 20, 2003, 15:18   #41
Tzar Alexander
Settler

Hi Kal-El,

some days ago I downloaded your MOD 1,04 and MAP 140x140 good work, thank you and if you want I present you my ex-girlfriend for your good work :-)
(Yes she is beautiful, but she likes to betray like some players in civ :-)
No chance to get my actual girlfriend ... hhhmmm maybe if you include something more in your mod ... no, of course a joke ... :-)

Okay so I included your Map 140x140 with the data of your DYP Mod and also included Civilisations of Incas and Australians, because that regions are deserted. Changed a lot, double cost for UNITS ( I hate when the map is crowded with units), Graphics from Snoopy, All Multi Figure Units from Kryton and some tweak there and here. Now I am tweaking resources and placing a lot of Babarians with leaders and creating Barbarian Nations with special Barbarian Units like, Crazy horse and try to place them at the correct location. When I have done everything it will be reduced to 8 starting locations and then I will wait until FIRAXIS release a PATCH so I could play with my friends a PBEMAIL game.

So even, if you would release a new Version, I couldn't use it, because already changed so much, it would cost me too much time to include it into my Scenario ...

Anyway wish you the best and thank you for your great map and mod

THX

Last edited by Tzar Alexander; February 20, 2003 at 17:43.
Old February 20, 2003, 15:35   #42
Kal-el
Warlord

Its a shame you couldn't wait. The next version of the mod has 7 new civs and a ton of new flavor units. along with some other tweaks.
Old February 20, 2003, 15:36   #43
Kal-el
Warlord

your scenario sounds very interesting, btw.
Old February 20, 2003, 15:48   #44
MotownDennis
Warlord

Yes - referring to civilopedia. Sat there for half the night reading it (trying to understand how everything works).

DYP makes me actually want to play a SP game again. Gonna log lots of hours on this one.

Again, keep up the good work!
Old February 20, 2003, 16:50   #45
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 11:21
This is a stupid question but please enlighten those poor ones who cannot get PTW
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old February 20, 2003, 17:52   #46
Tzar Alexander
Settler

So if someone is interested ...

but beware you need the Incas and Australian Mods ... but someone could extract the MAP from the file ...

NOT WORKING MOD, but map 140x140 with DYP resources and some finished barbarians ...

so it is Version 0.4 beta (means 40% finished)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip dyp140_04beta.zip (365.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Tzar Alexander; February 20, 2003 at 17:58.
Old February 20, 2003, 20:11   #47
Kal-el
Warlord

you can get a regular version or the PtW version of the mod at civ3.bernskov.com

you can get a 140x140 or a 180x180 earth map with the current DyP rules at civfanatics.
Old February 21, 2003, 03:06   #48
Andydog
Civilization IV PBEMIron Civers
Emperor

I downloaded and patched this mod for PTW last weekend, started playing, and are now about half way through the ancient era. Absolutely brilliant! I like what I've seen so far - great ideas, it's how Civ3 should have been imho. Fantastic work Kal-el!

A few questions:
1. When will the remaining resource/unit graphics be complete? It's kind of a shame to see the word 'Camel' on a tile for example...

2. You mention you would appreciate help with the civilpedia entries. I've noticed that there are plenty of people who post on Apolyton who enjoy showing off their knowledge of history. Have you started a thread specifically asking (and coordinating) people to assist? I'd be surprised if nobody offered to help.

3. Are there any plans to release an info pack? I've downloaded the spreadsheet, but it's a nightmare to print out. Something in PDF format would be great.

4. Can you cut my toenails while you're at it?

I play multiplayer with a mate; we plan to give this mod a go after we finish our current game. I'll be sure to let you know our thoughts and advise of bugs (I haven't come across any in single player as yet).

Keep up the outstanding work!
Old February 21, 2003, 18:19   #49
Kal-el
Warlord

You can download the current full version of the mod (graphics and all) at our website: civ3.bernskov.com

We would love to put together a strategy guide/user's manual but are waiting til the mod has stabilized a bit.

I haven't advertized for pedia entries, but we do have an individual on the team whose sole purpose is to work on the civilopedia. unfortunately that position has been a sort of revolving door throughout the whole process. We get plenty of volunteers but RL keeps taking them away from us.

We hope to have the next version of the mod released to our beta testers by the end of the month. (you can sign up to be a tester at our forums at www.cdgroup.org)
Old February 22, 2003, 05:42   #50
Andydog
Emperor

I downloaded the latest version (1.04x), but there still appears to be graphics missing. There are question marks on the tech tree (presumably where there is no graphic available for the improvement/wonder/unit) and the work 'Camel' appears on tiles rather than a picture of a camel.

Is this normal?
Old February 23, 2003, 04:31   #51
Andydog
Emperor

Ahh. Found the problem - I extracted it into the wrong folder. (I'm sure I had that right!)

Cheers
Old February 23, 2003, 14:55   #52
Kal-el
Warlord

make sure you are opening the right scenario. with 1.04x we had to change the name of the scenario to "Double your Pleasure with Gfx" in order to avoid it being overwritten with each new patch.
Old March 11, 2003, 22:09   #53
MotownDennis
Warlord

It's been a while since I posted to this thread, and I've got to say-

I've been playing dyp (both SP and MP) exclusively. Haven't played a game of regular civ since I discovered this mod. My wife even plays it, for Heaven's sake.

I am completely and absolutely hooked. I just don't have the desire to play regular civ anymore. Can't wait for the newest version. Anyone who hasn't tried this mod needs to do so. Trust me!
Old March 12, 2003, 22:18   #54
ToeTruck
Warlord

Is it really that good? I'm not intentionally trying to be a skeptic or anything, but most of the posts I've seen have been of the "This rocks" or "Way cool" variety.

What exactly is better? And why?

I checked out the tech choice and building screen shots and saw a lot of stuff that looked like fun, so I'll probably give it a shot.

In the meantime, though, I'd love to hear why DyP afficianados think it is so cool.

- TT
Old March 12, 2003, 23:51   #55
MotownDennis
Warlord

Toe:

Dyp is essentially the same game except for the following:

1) Tons more tech
2) Tons more city improvements
3) Tons more wonders (if someone were able to build all of them, I'd be truly impressed)
4) Tons of new military units
5) Tons of new resources (one of the luxury resources is tobacco - i guess smoking keeps the people happy!)

With regard to #5, one of the things I like about the way the resources are set up is that the creators put more emphasis on scarcity. You are almost guaranteed to not have all the strategic resources (you probably won't have 2 or 3 of them). Luxury resources are so scarce that usually only one or two civs have access to a particular one. Seems to make trade more crucial.

Also, there are some slight rules adjustments (most of them for the better) that change the strategy. Because of all the additions and changes, games can be played using a wider variety of strategies. You don't play the game with all the same old cookie cutter strategies every time. I don't have the time or space to go into all the changes, but do yourself a favor and give it a shot.

The only problem with this mod is that some of the Civilopedia is inaccurate due to tweaks that keep being made to the game. Also, the city graphics (you know - the screen that shows the different wonders and buildings in your city) are really goofed up.

This aside, Kal-El and the gang did an EXCELLENT job on this. CivIII should have been created like this from the start. Like I said before, I haven't played a regular game of CivIII in weeks (coincidentally about the time I discovered Dyp!) Also, I play long multiplayer games with a couple of other converts - what a blast!

Post back after you try it so I can see what you think.
Old March 13, 2003, 18:41   #56
ToeTruck
Warlord

It's...big. :)
Well, I downloaded DyP last night and I must say I'm pretty impressed. This mod is a monumental effort. Kind of a Great Wonder in its own right.

What I like best is that the new techs don't simply expand on a peer level with other techs, but they drill down into new levels of detail. Like, you need Mining to see the Iron and then Iron Working to build Swordsmen. That's the level of detail missing in Civ3.

Also, because of the new city improvements and wonders, I bet there will be plenty of things to build throughout the game. I can't tell you the number of times I've run out of things to build during the Middle Ages. Both the upper line through Printing Press, Banking, and Democracy and the lower line through Invention, Gunpowder, and Chemistry can get pretty dull. The only alternative is total warmongering. Ergh.

I'll write more once I get a complete game under my belt.

- TT
Old March 13, 2003, 23:09   #57
MotownDennis
Warlord

Toe:

You are correct in your assessments. I too have had the problem of running out of things to build. I haven't come close to having to worry about this with Dyp. I'm not a builder by nature, nor am I really a warmongerer. I'm a balanced player and will do what's needed with the hand I've been dealt. In my current game, however, I've mostly played builder, and, I must say, I have not run short of items to build.

I'll look forward to finding out if your experience with this mod mirrors mine. Enjoy!