Old November 4, 2002, 03:13   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Choice cuts of the recent Jeff Morris chat
My apologies that these are a little late in being compiled, but here are what I gathered as being the most interesting bits and pieces of the recent chat held here at Apolyton.

JohnT> Morris, Why does PTW have ridiculous lag?

Jeff: We're seeing a host slowdown while all the players are doing fine...It also seems that the number of players has an impact...more so on the net than on lan
We're aware that the gamespy connection stuff is problematic right now and it's the focus of our team
We've got a list of things that will be fixed in this patch and that along with host slowdowns are on the agenda.
So far I haven't heard of any single player issues, editor or LAN/PBEM/Hotseat issues so right now we're focused on internet performance. END

and second the crucial question: didnt you see the gamespy problems earlier?
Not to the degree we're seeing...some of that involves getting that number of simultaneous people hitting the servers..
Jeff_Morris_FIRAXIS> We're looking into a list of about 5 major issues related to internet play right now. One new feature of the patch will be a direct connect IP options.

Jeff, about the auto-patching thing, will we be able to download patches from say Firaxis or Apolyton still? No updates that are strictly done through gamespy?
Chaotik: Sure, though we'll be doing micro patches through Gamespy. So for instance, if you have v1.04f and v1.05f comes out, the autopatcher will have a small update. From the fan sites it will be only 1 patch, that will update any version. END

Jeff, are there any plans to change the Multiplayer Lobby? As is, chat and stuff through GameSpy is a lot better than through PTW itself
Dom: Some. One we're adding is a kick option to the staging window. END

Jeff, is there any ETA on when we can expect the patch?
Chaotik: We have an internal deadline, which is ASAP, but nothing to announce yet. Not long at all.

Jeff, you might or might not be aware of this, but myself and many other people have a problem when loading up a game through GameSpy, that it crashes every time once PTW gets to a 100% load... every time
Trip: We are aware and are close to having it addressed. It WILL be an element of the next patch.

Will the whole firewalls issue be fixed, or does the readme tell us everything we need to know
Dom: The readme talks about how to configure it so I hope that covers it. We think it's a gamespy issue so that maybe the direct IP connect method will bypass it.

Jeff, will there be a similar run of patches and improvements? Or just fix MP and that's it?
nye: Probably a run though it's hard to say for certain.

maxskillz> can I ask if you can at least try to make it playable on 56k for classic turn based please?
Max: That's our goal! END.

Jeff: Did the Hebrews have a chance of being in the game?
Solver: yes, but there was the usual conspiracy
Solver: Sure, but because of the asset requirements for each civ we had to cap it at 8.
I know theres a conspiracy, guess Ottomans and Arabs are a bit too much...
Solver: I liked the non-western feel of the civs selected. To each their own. END>

being of hispanic decent I just wanted to say that I think next time firaxis should realize south america is a continent and should not be ignored
Max: That was the only thing I thought wrong with the civ list in hindsite. I would have loved to add the icans. END

Are there any plans in the future of implementing a more robust matchmaking system (ie. battle.net)?
Who: Well Warcraft III is state of the art so they instantly made all others look weak by comparision. I'm sure gamespy will implement more features so possibly. END

Will we be able to see who we are chatting with while in the lobby after the patch?
ass_wise: Not in the next one. END

Jeff: we're all aware that MP is having serious problems (I can't even get the game to work for more than 15 minutes, ask Monkspider or NYE), how much improvement do you see for the next patch?
jtrip: Siginficant. END

Jeff: Beside the Inca, if you could choose one civ to appear in a future XP, who would they be?
Monk: Mayans.

Xuenay> Jeff: If the AI already sees the entire map, then does trading world/territory maps with them have any real effect? Why do they value the maps so highly?
Xuen: Not to sure about that. Maybe to facilitate the illusion of a human opponent. END

Jeff: What would you say the likelihood of another XP for Civ III is at this point?
monk: If this one sells well, pretty high. END

Jeff Can you tell us the rough total sales figures for civ III at this point
Jeff_Morris orris_FIRAXIS> Monk: Over a million
Old November 4, 2002, 05:14   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:21
Just for everyone's information I'm JTrip as well as Trip.

So the news is basically that soon a patch will be out that whisks away the worries that PTW brought up.
Old November 4, 2002, 06:37   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
whisks away the worries that PTW brought up.
hopefully.....
Old November 4, 2002, 13:09   #4
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

JTrip/Trip couldn't wait his turn to ask his questions so changed his name to be higher up in the alphabet...Sneaky.

Dominae
Old November 4, 2002, 14:18   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I guess I would have a long wait.
Old November 4, 2002, 14:29   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:21
Thanks for the "Reader's Digest" version of the chat Monkspider!
Old November 4, 2002, 14:30   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:21
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I guess I would have a long wait.
Well, look at it this way - You would be before me!