View Poll Results: What is more important in a story?
The adventures of people, explored in depth. 8 53.33%
The epic action! Gimme blood. 3 20.00%
Doesn't matter. I'll read anything that's fun. 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4, 2002, 11:56   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is more important in a "Civ3-Story"?
So, I was working on a story of my own after reading numerous awesome pieces on this board. And seeing this forum become less and less active, I figured I'd try to contribute by not only commenting on other people's works, but also creating one of my own.

So, my original idea was not very much civ-related, but did have a little of "historical" background to make it more understandable (historical meaning a little bit of a civ game decription, not real-world historical). So, now, having written about four parts' worth of the story, I started working on the historical part. I meant there to be only one... Well, I have written four already, and have only described about one third of what I wanted to.

Sooo... Here is my question: What is more important for you all readers and writers out there? The fictional part (with adventures of specific people), or the historical part (with epic battles, bloodshed and glorious victories). Of course, I understand that for some people maybe both are equally important, but I really don't think alternating the two styles will work in this case.

The reason I am asking is because I could either start with the fictional part and then get to the historical part, or I could get right down to action, and then explain why it was all that important.

Please cast your votes.
Old November 4, 2002, 14:06   #2
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:22
From a writing perspective I prefer to write about the fictional part of it. I feel that everyone knows what a civ game is like already so just describing the "historical" parts of it are less interesting (or at least I can't make it interesting; some people do a decent job). Civ is essentially a linear game about progress and geopolitics so ultimately civ as an inspiration for stories is limited. Frankly, I'm amazed that people haven't already exhausted all the story lines out of this game and its to the credit of the writers here and the makers of Civ that I can find yet another take on the familiar. Therefore I vouch for the adventures of people style.

The other thing you should ask is who you are writing for? Yourself or the forum? I think I do my best work when I write for myself and am genuinely interested in the story's outcome or characters. I post to the forum as a means to share and hopefully to provide some entertainment for like minded readers. Please tell the story that you want to tell and I think everyone will enjoy it.
Old November 4, 2002, 14:39   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:22
I couldnt agree more with Steamthunk, I was hanging around here for months reading other peoples work before I got around to writing my own story.

I think you should just write what comes naturally, and perhaps most importantly is to keep it coming so it stays current in peoples minds. Obviously that is not always possible as were all busy people.

Sorry vovansim I cant vote I still keep getting that forum message when I try to vote on polls. I would choose option 1 though.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 4, 2002, 16:49   #4
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I do agree with both of you on the point that one should write for his own pleasure. And that's what I usually do. I like to write, only that's not what I am fixing to do for a living, so I don't take it too seriously. As a result, I have tons and tons of little stories. I think I have about 50 files in a separate folder. I wanted to post some of them here, but the problem is: they are not in English, but in my native language, and I am too lazy to translate them, and sometimes my vocabulary is just too small to do it, also.

Now, part of the reason I posted this poll is that I am pretty much already satisfied with the way the story came out, only it has two parts to it. Two volumes, if you will. One of them describes the global events, the other - a couple of days from one man's life. And it really doesn't matter too much, in which order they come - I can fit them together either way. Which brings me to this point:
I also think that even though you write for your own enjoyment, when you decide to post your story, it's not solely for you any more. It's for the other people. That's why I am wondering what you all readers think about the order my particular story should be written in. So far, nobody has voted for option number two, and that makes me more or less happy with my own idea, as that is what I intended to do originally. Introduce the idea first by an example of one man, and then drive the point home with an epic scene or two. But I won't give the plot away yet. The first installment will come tomorrow then

PS: And ChrisiusMaximus, don't worry about not being ble to vote, I'll chalk you up for option #1.
Spore page
Old November 5, 2002, 22:15   #5
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

In my mind, a Civ story should not be a play-by-play narration of a Civilization game. The basis of your story can be a game you played, or thought of, or not even a game at all.

Now, while many Apolytoners, myself included, enjoy the stories centered around a decisive war, I think we should try to take stories to the next level. Stories, IMO, should begin where Civilization ends.

Frankfurt is in civil disorder. Why?

You're Armor unit is destroyed by Cavalry. Do you reverse this for your story, or simply remove it altogether? Or do you consider how you can work it in.

Perhaps an overzealous, undertrained tank commander who leads his men into an inferior position. Or perhaps Persia's greatest military hero is at the head of the cavalry.

Sorry, I think I'll stop here, before I wander even farther away from this thread.

Anywho, I voted for the poll's first choice.
Old November 5, 2002, 22:31   #6
TheGuitarist
Warlord

I never knew English wasn't your first language, vovansim. What's your native language? Is your screen name in that language, and if so, what does it mean?
Old November 6, 2002, 06:37   #7
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
I voted for option three because a story as a drama, adventure, comedy or action can be made interesting. It just depends what the writer feels like writing about. Personally, when it comes to movies I head straight for the action section, but that's just because I'm immature and tend to watching dramas or bad comedies. I like Arnold Schwartzeneggar, Van Damme, and Jackie Chan movies. As for this forum though, I think action has been used too much as a theme and we need other styles like mystery, horror and epic adventure (please, no more about Catherine, Caesar, Elizabeth or any of those types) to be explored.
Old November 6, 2002, 11:41   #8
vovan
Emperor

Verto, sure, I agree with you that a story should not be a play-by-play description of gameplay. We've all played the game, and it would be horribly boring to read something like: "I moved my knight to te rigth, then I bombed the city with my catapult, then I opened the city screen for Hamburg, and initiated the construction of a cathedral..." Ugh.

TheGuitarist, my native language would be Russian. My nick consists of two parts: vovan and sim. Vovan is an abbreviation of a given name, and Sim is an abbreviation of a family name.

unscratchedfoot, I also agree with you: we've had too much of the boring old "and then Elizabeth said she wanted to take a milk bath and left the room, leaving Bismarck sitting there like a fool" already.
Spore page