Old November 4, 2002, 17:25   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
NewzUpdates?
Something came to mind when thinking on this.

The gOdZ expect newZupdates. What are we going to provide? Some information people may not want to get out, especially before we meet each other.

So, what information is going to be shared, and what shall be included from each tribe in the newZudate?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 4, 2002, 17:29   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:23
Most of what's been accomplished includes the establishment of teams, and the setup of basic polls (map, # of teams, etc.). I'd write something up, but I'm lazy.

Okay, nevermind, I'll write something up.

Alright, the message is sent.

Last edited by Jon Shafer; November 4, 2002 at 17:52.
Old November 4, 2002, 17:53   #3
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

No, I am talking once we get running, what are the teams willing to provide for this? We cannot be submitting our plans like we were in the C3DG

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 4, 2002, 17:56   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

We'll probably only be able to give updates on what's already happened in the game that's well known, like wars between humans, etc. Beyond that, the updates will most likely be rather slim.
Old November 4, 2002, 18:00   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:23
wrong/misleading info, is a very powerfull tool
Old November 4, 2002, 18:18   #6
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
wrong/misleading info, is a very powerfull tool
Thats what I was thinking about. We could even go so far as to only trade maps in JPEG format so that they may be edited for content. Why should we have to allow another civ full knowledge of our resources, luxuries, weaknesses, etc? We can censor what we give them so as to protect strategic information... especially against those Glory of War people
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 4, 2002, 18:22   #7
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:23
Quote:
Originally posted by ruby_maser
We can censor what we give them so as to protect strategic information... especially against those Glory of War people
HA!!! Look! The're already afraid of us!
Old November 4, 2002, 18:39   #8
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
HA!!! Look! The're already afraid of us!
No, just wary that you all might come around, bothering our women and stealing our chickens.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 4, 2002, 18:44   #9
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

And you think that hiding that little stash of Iron or that little town over there will make you less of a target because...?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 4, 2002, 18:48   #10
Jon Shafer

Because that little stash of iron over there by that little town may spawn an army of legions to march upon your capitol.
Old November 4, 2002, 18:52   #11
ruby_maser
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
And you think that hiding that little stash of Iron or that little town over there will make you less of a target because...?
I figured y'all were gunning for everyone anyway; in such a case as that, I don't think there is anything a team can do to avoid being targeted. Regardless of whether we had a warmonger team or not, I think it is in the best interest of every nation to protect strategic information. Stands to reason that, if you can, you should.

Old November 4, 2002, 19:30   #12
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Are we being asked to do a report for each team, or one for the game in total?

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 4, 2002, 19:49   #13
Jon Shafer

Just for the game overall, not each team. Though, how we do that I'm not quite sure. At least the first one was pretty easy.
Old November 4, 2002, 22:05   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think each team should issue press releases when they have something to say.

Someone involved can give an an account of the tides of war.
Old November 5, 2002, 00:56   #15
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
Each team could appoint a "public affairs representative" who could work with their team's leadership to determine what to release and how to release it...

Simple as that.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:05   #16
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

And maybe someone like catt ,or FP could make/build it into a story for Mark to use?
Old November 5, 2002, 21:43   #17
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Each team could appoint a "public affairs representative" who could work with their team's leadership to determine what to release and how to release it...
This public affairs representative sould also act like a propaganda minister.

What I think is that there should be a central forum that teams can converse with each other. Known facts (such as wars) can be discussed here. The key is that any team can say anything they want (including flat out lies). This would emulate true foreign relations. Of course, when the lies are found out, the civ won't get very popular, etc...
Old November 6, 2002, 06:26   #18
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32

This public affairs representative sould also act like a propaganda minister.

What I think is that there should be a central forum that teams can converse with each other. Known facts (such as wars) can be discussed here. The key is that any team can say anything they want (including flat out lies). This would emulate true foreign relations. Of course, when the lies are found out, the civ won't get very popular, etc...
A MIS-information campaign could do wondrous things at some crucial moments...

Representatives from each race sound good, and a public affairs person from each team would definetely make things more interesting from a role play point of view, as far as a newspaper is concerned, which is what I think Unorthodox was getting at as well...
Old November 6, 2002, 06:35   #19
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
And maybe someone like catt ,or FP could make/build it into a story for Mark to use?
catt's better than me.

/me tries to escape alva volunteering him for this.....

seriously, though, when our team has something exciting to talk about (such as completely crushing everyone else ) then I'll write it up.

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; November 6, 2002 at 06:48.
Old November 6, 2002, 06:37   #20
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
What I think is that there should be a central forum that teams can converse with each other.
You're posting in it now.
Old November 8, 2002, 19:37   #21
jordie
PtWDG Lux InvictaCivilization III MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 20:23
I think there should be a seperate forum for the polls and stuff and then a forum for all the teams to talk (like this one). Cause all the polls make the place so cluttered.....

I like the idea of mis-information campaigns. Could be interesting....
Old November 8, 2002, 19:49   #22
alva
Deity

Quote:
btw: Catt , has turned the job offer down

(due too lack of time)
Old November 8, 2002, 19:54   #23
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by jordie
I think there should be a seperate forum for the polls and stuff and then a forum for all the teams to talk (like this one). Cause all the polls make the place so cluttered.....

I like the idea of mis-information campaigns. Could be interesting....
Don't worry, the clutter due to polls should end shortly, once all game settings have been decided... Since most polls will be handled within the teams (and their secure forum), we'll see almost only regular threads on the common forum.
Old November 10, 2002, 07:03   #24
Ennet
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Prince

Local Time: 11:23
Yer there will prolly be a lot of missleading info.. but thats just a part of the game, information always been the true way to victory.. and countries tried to plant false info or trick their opponents throught history.. and yes history will be written afterwards not before

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"
Old November 10, 2002, 11:08   #25
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:23
This all works for me. Some ideas on the Public Affairs representative position:

This post can be either an extension of the Foreign Ministry from each team or can be appointed within a team by the FAM, but whoever does this job will want to be careful not to release any information in press reports that can turn out to be negative for his team.

There shouldn't be any requirement for a press officer though, either. If a team chooses to release statements to an 'independant journal' (which I foresee as being similiar to the Gazette in C3DG) then there should be nothing to prevent them from doing so. But if a team prefers to remain isolationist in it's comments then that should not be a problem either.