Old November 16, 2002, 02:37   #31
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 02:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
UH i never had gamespy installed and my game still crashes quite often when i try to join games online through in-game browser. of course, it could be the host crashing that makes me crash too.
Old November 16, 2002, 17:05   #32
NeOmega
Prince

you also have to be sure the people you are trying to connect with don't have it installed.
Old December 29, 2002, 19:26   #33
WarningU2
DiploGamesCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG People's Army of the Ladder
Warlord

Local Time: 06:24
I thought GameSpy services were used (under the covers) when you use the multiplayer lobby in the game itself so it doesn't matter whether you install it as a separate program or not - it's still there. Am I wrong ?

The installer does give you the option to install the full GameSpy Arcade which I initially selected but the install crapped out. I then uninstalled GameSpy totally, and reinstalled the latest release from the website. I've since updated to the latest version 1.2

I've never had any problems running GameSpy Arcade and CIVIII together. That being said, I don't bother with creating rooms though - I only play Direct IP games. With Direct IP you only get those folks with the patch and can control access much more efficiently than through the rooms. I recruit folks in GameSpy Arcade for chatting only by ALT-TAB between game in Direct IP prior to launch . When the game starts I shutdown GameSpy Arcade just to reduce the network trafffic -- I have noticed it is very chatty with IP activity.

I think the biggest problem with playing the game via creating rooms is that you get folks joining via two different methods - from the GameSpy Arcade and the MP lobby of the game itself. The game just can't handle that and really ... should it ? They should have just made it so there was only one way to access.
Old December 29, 2002, 19:51   #34
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 05:24
I echo and agree with WarningU2's post from top to bottom. Gamespy is better than the MP room for finding players- just use Direct IP to set up the game. Close Gamespy right before you actually launch the game if you're worried about bandwith issues. Less chance of a buggy connection crashing the whole thing- you can just kick the one bugged fellow and have them try again.

I *never* use anything but Direct IP anymore. Makes my life much easier, and with a decent computer, you can be ....mostly.... sure your game won't crash.
Old December 29, 2002, 22:55   #35
NeOmega
Prince

This thread is a moot point, as it was posted for version 1.04f.

1.14f fixed most gamespy problems.