Old November 5, 2002, 14:02   #1
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
U.S. Election Predictions/Results
For those Americans watching the polls today, here is a thread for posting predictions and results.

Overall Predictions:

The Democrats will maintain a status quo in the Senate, keeping control by a 1-seat margin.

The Republicans will hold the House, possibly gaining a seat or two, but the Democrats may surprise in the close races and pick up some (not enough to take control, however).

The Democrats will pick up at least 3 governorships, which will be their most significant gain of the election.

Individual Races:

Governors:

NY: Pataki (R), no contest. The only real question is if McCall (D) can come in respectably or not. While Golisano (I) looked strong a week ago for 2nd place, he lost ground and will be 3rd for sure.

CA: Davis (D), handily. The Republicans really botched this one.

MD: Townsend (D) will pull off a skin-of-her-teeth victory, despite her awful campaign against Erlich (R).

FL: Bush (R) wins reasonably comfortably, as McBride's campaign went limp lately.

IL: Democrats pick this one up, first time in 3 decades I believe.

KS: Surprisingly, looks like the Dems will win this one as well.

PA: Ditto.

Senate Races:

MN: Mondale (D) wins, narrowly.

MS: Carnahan (D) loses, seat goes back to the GOP.

TX: Coyne (R) wins over Kirk (D), despite Kirk's recent surge.

NC: Dole (R) wins, but it's closer than expected.

AR: Hutchinson (R) is defeated handily by Pryor (D), so seat switches to Dems

NH: Too close to really predict, but I sense Shaheen (D) won't be able to eke past Sununu (R), so it stays GOP.

GA: Cleland (D) keeps it, barely

CO: Democrat gain as Strickland (D) beats the pathetic Allard (R)

NJ: Safely kept Democratic by Lautenberg.

SD: Tricky, but I think the incumbent Johnson (D) is in real trouble, so I give the edge to Thune (R). Embarrassing for Daschle.

LA: Landrieu (D) will hold the seat, eventually, even if a run-off is needed.
Old November 5, 2002, 14:04   #2
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
66666, the number of the *BIG* beast.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old November 5, 2002, 14:07   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 12:26
Doesnt rhyme
Old November 5, 2002, 14:12   #4
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 06:26
I don't agree on MD Gov and MN Senate. You have to give the edge to good politicians over bad (or over the hill, etc.). Coleman is a very disciplined candidate and is hungry (MN). Kennedy Townsend is unexciting in the extreme (MD).

Don't know too much about GA, but I think the GOP might pick this one up.

LA Senate is interesting. If it's 49 seats for the GOP, then this runoff will be nationalized--a race with no faces other than Bush's and Daschle's. If it's 48 seats for the GOP, then Landrieu is the better politician and will win. If it's 49 seats for the GOP, then the GOP wins and takes Senate control.

Lastly, re the governors races (other than MD), you are probably being too generous to the GOP.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; November 5, 2002 at 14:20.
Old November 5, 2002, 14:13   #5
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 10:26
Michigan will elect its first woman governor - former attorney general and Democrat Jennifer Granholm. Democratic state senators and reps will retain their seats. Voter turnout is expected to be higher than usual for off-year elections, which should give the Dems a nice boost.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old November 5, 2002, 14:29   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 05:26
In Illinois

Senate... (Dem) Durbin over Durkin unless the sun rises in the West, or stupid Dems can't figure out the difference between a "b" and "k".

Governor
Too close to call. It will really depend on where Voter Turnout will be the highest. If Chicago can get out the vote today, the Dems will win.
Old November 5, 2002, 14:31   #7
DanS
Deity

Here's a good viewer's guide...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2002Nov5.html
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 5, 2002, 14:42   #8
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
I don't agree on MD Gov and MN Senate. You have to give the edge to good politicians over bad (or over the hill, etc.).
No, I give the edge to the state party's ability to get out their vote. In MD, the Dems have historically gotten out a lot on election days, even midterms. I think this will give Townsend the edge.

The Mondale prediction is a hunch based on his popularity and that he seems a tad more in-synch with the state's idealogy.
Old November 5, 2002, 14:44   #9
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Democrats will lob lawsuit after lawsuit in closely contested races where they lose. That's my prediction.

http://www.drudgereport.com/mc2.htm
Old November 5, 2002, 14:48   #10
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

My prediction:

The world is shocked as Libertarians pick up a majority of the seats in the US Congress. Republicans drop to minor party status and dissappear within a few years.

oh well....

Really though, I agree with your overall predictions Boris. But I'm with Dan on MD Governor race, KKT is dumb as a brick and will loose a squeaker. Though of course it didn't hurt W....

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 5, 2002, 14:50   #11
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Oh, I think KKT has run a horrible campaign...I just think that MD's strong Democrat organization will give her a slight edge in a close race.
Old November 5, 2002, 14:53   #12
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 04:26
Heh. I'm a moderate Republican rooting for Tim Johnson in South Dakota.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old November 5, 2002, 14:55   #13
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

The key question of today though is whether or not Che lives up to the quote in David Floyd's profile:

"I need a political party with some integrity. Think I'll vote Libertarian in Novermber. - chegitz guevara"

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 5, 2002, 15:00   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I only voted for one Libertarian candidate today... less than usual. It seems like the Illinois Libertarian Party this year had more loonies than usual. But I'll give them credit for providing much humor. After reviewing all the websites for the different parties, at least the Libs web site had me laughing... while the others were a total bore.
Old November 5, 2002, 15:09   #15
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
Well there'll be one less independent governor with Baldacci grabbbing Maine easily, he probably won't get close to 80% of the vote like last time he ran for congress though
Old November 5, 2002, 15:11   #16
Andrew1999
Warlord

Arkansas Predictions:
Senate: Pryor defeats Hutchinson by a small margin
Governor: Jimmie Lou Fisher (D) does better than expected but still loses to Mike Huckabee (R)
Congress: Democrats retain the two seats that are contested for a total of 1 Republican and 3 Democrats

National:
House: +1 Republican
Senate: +1 Democrat (new totals 50-1-49)
Governors: +3 Democrats
Old November 5, 2002, 16:45   #17
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Prediction:

GOP holds House, Democrats Hold Senate. For Maryland, KKT wins the governorship and Connie Morella loses as well.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old November 5, 2002, 16:49   #18
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
MS: Carnahan (D) loses, seat goes back to the GOP
1) Carnahan isn't running here.
2) Our seat is firmly in control of the GOP.
3) The only way Thad Cochran would be endanger of loosing his seat would be for him to be charged with murder.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 5, 2002, 16:55   #19
GePap
Emperor

I will only predict the safe ones

Pataki for NY gov
Pryor for ark. Senate
Lautenberg of NJ senate

I think (not predictions!) that Shaheen might beat Sununu, I agree with Carnahan losing, I am totally unsure of Minnesota, and I hope we gat 50% or more in Lousiana.

In NY, I think grucci might loose his house seat in Long Island (+1 dems), I think Hevesi beats Faso, for all the money Faso spent tp beocme Comptroler.

Can it be that Ryan (not that ryan.. i know so many people in Illinois who got Jim and George mixed up) will beat Blagoievich? (The dem with the bald head and glasses would have been better candidate: i foregot his name, somehting greek i think)

In NJ, Frank McNamara is just wrong for bergen county (why the hell do I get to see ads against McNamara in NYC: i don't give a damn about bergen county, and I don't even know his opponents name!)
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 5, 2002, 17:05   #20
DanS
Deity

Early returns from Drudge...

GOP has GA, MN, Missouri

Dems have NC, Arkansas, CO

Big upset with NC, if it holds. This would seem to put the kaibash on the GOP gaining the Senate.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:09   #21
GePap
Emperor

Since no polls have even closed, where does Drudge (the Sludge) go calling races?
Old November 5, 2002, 17:10   #22
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
The key question of today though is whether or not Che lives up to the quote in David Floyd's profile:

"I need a political party with some integrity. Think I'll vote Libertarian in Novermber. - chegitz guevara"
There was only one Libertarian running in my district, and yes, I voted for him. It was that or a Republican.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 5, 2002, 17:16   #23
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Since no polls have even closed, where does Drudge (the Sludge) go calling races?
That's what everyone did in 2000.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:17   #24
DanS
Deity

GePap: Well, it's exit polls giving a good indication. Hardly definitive.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:19   #25
chequita guevara
Emperor

I hope Ryan loses in Illinois. That man is totally without any integrity. He's a murderer mascarding as an AG.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 5, 2002, 17:21   #26
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
That's what everyone did in 2000.
And see how far that gets us. we have to wait until the system invalidates its required number of votes. i mean, just cause you went to the polls does not mean your vote will actually count.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:21   #27
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
He's a murderer mascarding as an AG.
How so?
Old November 5, 2002, 17:22   #28
DanS
Deity

GePap: Lighten up, dude. It's hardly one of the major networks.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:25   #29
chequita guevara
Emperor

Even when there is overwhelming evidence of police torture and brutality in confessions which led to death penalty convictions, Jim Ryan has fought tooth and nail to uphold those convictions. Ryan is bloodthirsty, and I strongly suspect he would end George Ryan's moratorium on the DP in Illinois. This in a state where more people have been released from Death Row than have been executed (one man who was executed confessed after being taken to a field and having a gun pointed in his face by the cops--he was illiterate and yet signed a confession).
Old November 5, 2002, 17:30   #30
uh Clem
King

We can't just go by exit polls. We have to wait until Bush's cousin, John Ellis, calls the race on FAUX.