Old November 6, 2002, 08:55   #151
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Liberal controlled media?

Are you on drugs?

The Democrats didn't lose because they ran as liberals. They lost because they ran as Republicans. Serves 'em right, too.

And there is NO such word as "irregardless"!
Old November 6, 2002, 08:58   #152
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
Liberal controlled media?

Are you on drugs?
But... That's what they say on the TV!

Old November 6, 2002, 08:58   #153
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

Local Time: 04:26
oh brother.
now comes all the stupid reasons why
republicans won....

ahhh well its cause ...bla bla bla bla bla...
the liberal press will beat it to death.

and yes toto there is a "LIBERAL BIAS IN THE MEDIA"

duh , which way did they go. george

oh and before everyone goes and slaps a label
on my back....no i didn't vote a straight party ticket
i vote for the person and what they stand for.
Old November 6, 2002, 10:08   #154
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:26
It's always nice waking up to good news in the morning.

Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 6, 2002, 10:11   #155
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yes, after watching the reps take a beating all night in Illinois, it was a refreshing change to view the early national results.

Old November 6, 2002, 10:25   #156
The diplomat
King

It's a good day to be a Republican! WOOHOOOO!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old November 6, 2002, 10:34   #157
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
maine green got 9%! yay!
Old November 6, 2002, 10:49   #158
Amadan
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
An impressive display tonight. Never before has a president's party done so well. Hmmm, the last time something similar happened it was to Bush Senior, and we saw what happened to him

Let's see what our Party does with the victory.
Drag us into WW3?
Old November 6, 2002, 10:56   #159
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Maybe not. The timing just changed. There will be a lull before the 2004 elections crank up. Bush isn't besieged now with the REPS taking back the senate. He will now be percieved to have total control. That's a great starting negotiating position. I hope he has the brains to take advantage of it. Unlimited access for returning arms inspectors would be quite a political victory. I'll bet they're nervous in Iraq this morning.

RAH
Old November 6, 2002, 11:12   #160
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

You know it's amazing that picking up 2 seats in the Senate annoints you as a hardworking genius. I guess expectations were just so low for any kind of movement at all.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 6, 2002, 11:14   #161
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:26
what was the actual swing in the no of votes cast
Old November 6, 2002, 11:15   #162
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
You know it's amazing that picking up 2 seats in the Senate annoints you as a hardworking genius.
In a midterm election when the oppossing party was still expected to hold control of the Senate at the end of the day, I believe that the President deserves a little credit.
Old November 6, 2002, 11:15   #163
rah
lifer
Just another peon

We are talking about American Politics.
Expectations are always low.

RAH
Old November 6, 2002, 11:16   #164
The diplomat
King

This will be perceived as a Bush mandate. Obviously, if things go bad in the next two years, Bush will get the blame and it could cost him reelection. But the opposite is also true. If things get better, if the economy turns up, Iraq goes well, and the Senate passes some bipartisan bills like Welfare reform or Social Security, then Bush will get the credit. In that case, Bush could get reelected in a landslide.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old November 6, 2002, 11:17   #165
DanS
Deity

"In a midterm election when the oppossing party was still expected to hold control of the Senate at the end of the day, I believe that the President deserves a little credit."

Oh, I'm with you, Dino. He deserves a lot of credit and it's clear that he deserves even more because he was underdog. Those new senators we have are very strong (Coleman will instantly be respected, I'm sure). I'm just observing the expectations game. Only USA Today called the Republican breeze.

You realize that we spent a billion dollars on political ads in order for there to be a 2-seat movement in the Senate?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; November 6, 2002 at 11:23.
Old November 6, 2002, 11:22   #166
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
And there is NO such word as "irregardless"!
Look it up in the dictionary.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 6, 2002, 11:25   #167
DanS
Deity

Guynemer: Don't you have anything better to worry about than a crusade against idiomatic speech?

Really, it's not worth it.
Old November 6, 2002, 11:32   #168
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
In a midterm election when the oppossing party was still expected to hold control of the Senate at the end of the day, I believe that the President deserves a little credit.
Actually, the Democrats deserve the credit for the Republican victory. Rather than acting like an opposition party, rather than sticking it to Bush over the failure of the intelligence services to stop 9/11, rather than stick it Bush over Enron and friends, rather than stand up to Bush on the crises he's created over Iraq, they've allowed themselves to be the Prez's whipping boys. They lost because they disgusted their party base.

And what lessen will the Democrats take from this? That they need to suck up even more to the Republicans, no doubt. Interestingly, those democrats who opposed the bill on Iraq all seem to have come out okay.

Until the Democrats are will to stand up to the Republican Party like the way the Republicans stand up to them, they will continue to suffer defeat after defeat. Why should their base vote for them if they are only going to be a poor copy of the Republican Party.

And this time they can't blame it on the Greens.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 6, 2002, 11:37   #169
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Interestingly, those democrats who opposed the bill on Iraq all seem to have come out okay."

Like Max Cleland.
Old November 6, 2002, 11:39   #170
uh Clem
King

Quote:
Interestingly, those democrats who opposed the bill on Iraq all seem to have come out okay.
Well, if you don't count Minnesota...
Old November 6, 2002, 11:44   #171
DanS
Deity

"Rather than acting like an opposition party, rather than sticking it to Bush over the failure of the intelligence services to stop 9/11, rather than stick it Bush over Enron and friends, rather than stand up to Bush on the crises he's created over Iraq, they've allowed themselves to be the Prez's whipping boys."

Thing is, they did bring these things up. And loudly. But those dogs didn't hunt.

One of the things they could have done (and didn't at all) is offered alternatives. This would have at least shown that they had thought about the issues seriously. Yes, they brought up the economy a lot and nobody listened, but what is the Dem plan for getting the economy moving more quickly?

I didn't hear any sort of detailed plan--even something to shoot at in the broadest terms. Did you?

Perhaps they were unable to do so, because they couldn't agree on a plan among themselves...
Old November 6, 2002, 11:45   #172
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Actually, the Democrats deserve the credit for the Republican victory. Rather than acting like an opposition party, rather than sticking it to Bush over the failure of the intelligence services to stop 9/11, rather than stick it Bush over Enron and friends, rather than stand up to Bush on the crises he's created over Iraq, they've allowed themselves to be the Prez's whipping boys. They lost because they disgusted their party base.

And what lessen will the Democrats take from this? That they need to suck up even more to the Republicans, no doubt. Interestingly, those democrats who opposed the bill on Iraq all seem to have come out okay.

Until the Democrats are will to stand up to the Republican Party like the way the Republicans stand up to them, they will continue to suffer defeat after defeat. Why should their base vote for them if they are only going to be a poor copy of the Republican Party.

And this time they can't blame it on the Greens.

Quite the tirade considering the closeness of a few of those key races. Heck what was the difference in Minn. and Missouri. A few thousand votes here a few thousand votes there. So for a few thousands votes your're calling them gutless. If those two had gone the other way, I'm sure your tune would be a bit different this morning. Maybe it more simple then that. It's common for the person that get's appointed not to win the seat in the next election (Missouri). In Minn., I think the Democrats embarressed themselves sufficiently the last few days. So maybe it has nothing to do with being gutless and standing up to the REPS. But then, I don't have a problem calling them gutless.

RAH
Old November 6, 2002, 11:54   #173
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
"Rather than acting like an opposition party, rather than sticking it to Bush over the failure of the intelligence services to stop 9/11, rather than stick it Bush over Enron and friends, rather than stand up to Bush on the crises he's created over Iraq, they've allowed themselves to be the Prez's whipping boys."

Thing is, they did bring these things up. And loudly. But those dogs didn't hunt.
Well, maybe in your neck of the woods you heard it, but out here in the sticks I heard nothing of the kind.

Quote:
I didn't hear any sort of detailed plan--even something to shoot at in the broadest terms. Did you?
Nope, not even McBride offered an alternative.
Old November 6, 2002, 11:56   #174
chequita guevara
Emperor

Democrats have only themselves to blame.
Joe Conason's Journal
Democrats have only themselves to blame.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Nov. 6, 2002 | No excuses
Whatever eventually happens in Louisiana, the Democrats have lost control of the Senate. The nation will return almost immediately to the Republican domination of the executive, legislative and judicial branches that existed before Vermont's Jim Jeffords turned independent last year. Now the Democratic voters who chose not to show up Tuesday are going to find out what their decision meant, in a country ruled by President Bush, Trent Lott and Tom DeLay. From drilling in Alaska to regressive taxation to unilateral war, the agenda of the corporate and religious right will shape our future.

In this historic election, Bush overcame his weaknesses as a statesman with his skills as a politician. While I dislike what he represents and what he does, I can't deny his determination and enterprise. Against a drifting, disorganized Democratic Party, he hustled the money, the issues and the voters. He saw the opportunity and embraced the risk, big time. He fully exploited the advantages of his office, including his ability as commander-in-chief to foment an atmosphere of war. In several contests he made an important difference, creating the conditions for his party's momentum. So the president's supporters will insist again, as they did in the wake of Sept. 11, that he has achieved the mandate that eluded him two years ago.

Unlike the debacle in 2000, the Democrats have no one but themselves to blame for this defeat. The Republicans had much more money, but they always do. Their schemes to intimidate voters were appalling, but didn't provide the margin of victory in places like Florida and Texas. The Green Party had a will to spoil, but lacked the capacity to make any real difference. Across the country, from California to New York, bland and compromised Democratic candidates were unable to motivate their own base, let alone attract the independents required to win close races. Only where the issues were predominantly local, as in the campaigns for governor, could the Democrats prevail consistently.

There were moments during the midterm campaign when it seemed that the Democrats were nothing greater than the prescription-drugs party. It was a safe issue, or so the party leaders in Washington believed, and therefore became the phrase that they and their candidates repeated like a mindless mantra. Medicare coverage of prescription drugs is a worthy goal, and the Democratic plan is far better than the Republican proposal. But that issue isn't enough to nationalize a midterm election, and certainly not enough to persuade voters uneasy about war and the economy. Those voters were listening for a powerful Democratic message about global security, the faltering economy, employment, education and health care. All they heard was "prescription drugs."

A party that will not criticize the incumbent president cannot defeat him, now or two years from now. A party that has nothing to say about unfair tax breaks, a vanishing surplus and a looted economy cannot expect anyone to listen when it asks for votes. A party without passion or vision is hardly a political party at all. Even in their righteous defense of Social Security, Democrats too often sounded as if their chief concern was to preserve their own institutional position. Today the future looks grim for them because they blurred the purposes of their partisanship.

As for the Republicans, they will exaggerate the meaning of this election in their usual triumphal style. Their gloating may not last long, however. Leading a one-party government, they will no longer be able to evade responsibility for whatever comes next. Their ideas and ideology are no more plausible than they were yesterday. They have divided rather than united the country, and their worst initiatives will still meet resistance from the many principled Democrats who were returned to office Tuesday night. Even at this low ebb, progressive revival remains a possibility, although much damage will be done during the next two years.

Moving forward onto this hostile political terrain, the Democrats would do well to recall the combative stance adopted by the Republicans after losing both houses of Congress and the presidency in 1992. They can begin by examining the real reasons for this narrow but awful defeat, without flinching.

===========================

Get your Vaseline ready, America.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:04   #175
DinoDoc
Deity

It will be a good time to be a Mississippian with Lott in charge of the Senate.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:07   #176
uh Clem
King

I saw the Conason thing elsewhere this morning and almost posted it. I agree completely. What, if anything, does the Democratic Party represent? Why should people vote for it?

After Clinton's election, JK Galbraith commented that the country didn't really need 2 Republican parties. But it's truer today than it was then. Clintinoids might note that this is the second shellacking the Dems have received in the past 8 years.

As far as I can tell, the Democrats are little more than the Good Cop to the Republican's Bad Cop.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:10   #177
DanS
Deity

"Well, maybe in your neck of the woods you heard it, but out here in the sticks I heard nothing of the kind."

Did you watch any of the debates from other parts of the country? Mondale hammered away at the corporate special interests, especially the drug companies. Coleman parried that there was no shame in it (!), and that Mondale served on a lot of corporate boards himself. Mondale should have won that race, but he relied on the old rhetoric. And those dogs didn't hunt!

This happened in a lot of races with similar effect. Shaheen hammered away at it in New Hampshire. And lost. Carnahan hammered away at it, but apparently nobody bought it.

I didn't watch many of the other races, but I think it would be incorrect to state that the Dems didn't pursue the matter.

Edit: And it would be foolish to abandon Clinton and the center right now. He's the only good thing that the Dems have been able to produce for the last 2 decades.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:13   #178
chequita guevara
Emperor

Regardless, this will be a great time for us Socialists. Lots of recruiting potential now.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:13   #179
DinoDoc
Deity

DanS: Mondale set himself up for faliure by staging the debate in the midday on the day before the election when it would have no real effect. He also appeared to be relying only on the sympathy vote for Wellstone given that he made no real attempt to craft a message of his own before the election.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:15   #180
DinoDoc
Deity

Che: Do you have access to the premium articles on Salon?