Old November 5, 2002, 21:44   #1
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 10:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Starting Locations: Duels
Having given up on any crash free 3+ player playing for the moment, I've taken to duels on tiny maps (and with some success). Yet for the majority of my games, it seems that the starting locations of each player are always within 10 squares apart.

Below is an extreme victim to such an outcome - a game in which my cap (left) and his (right) with a whopping 4 tiles inbetween. Is this simply a bug?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	prometheus3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	28562  
Old November 6, 2002, 14:49   #2
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 06:27
Not sure, Zylka. btw, how come you bailed on our duel last night? (I was plying as Milton.)
Old November 6, 2002, 15:12   #3
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:27
Because he's a quitter when things go bad LOL
Old November 6, 2002, 17:16   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:27
Quote:
Originally posted by metalhead
Not sure, Zylka. btw, how come you bailed on our duel last night? (I was plying as Milton.)
I wonder how long you'll have to wait for Zylka to answer your question...
Old November 6, 2002, 17:19   #5
metalhead
Warlord

yeah, I didn't notice him hanging around the MP lobby afterwards. He was hanging around challenging everybody, and as soon as I saw him set the game parameters, I knew what he was trying to do, and stopped his gambit easily. Then, he split
Old November 6, 2002, 18:10   #6
Zylka
King

Bwahahahaha I split?!?!?! Did we even start a game together? I might have crashed, if we did - because I've only quit 1 game, and it was due to horrendous lag. Either way, why don't we arrange to play today? I'd love to teach you a lesson for your insolent tone

Last edited by Zylka; November 6, 2002 at 18:15.
Old November 6, 2002, 18:17   #7
Zylka
King

Quote:
as soon as I saw him set the game parameters, I knew what he was trying to do, and stopped his gambit easily. Then, he split
Sorry, I just re-read in more detail and am wondering just what the f*ck you're talking about, liar. Can I see a save of your "stopping my gambit"? Bullsh*t.
Old November 6, 2002, 19:51   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:27
Whoo Hoo... The struting starts...

He didn't quit on me when my stack of Vet Archers popped up next to his lightly defended (compared to the attack stack) city in an elimination duel.
Old November 6, 2002, 20:18   #9
Zylka
King

Yep. And NYE is the only person to beat me, out of 10 successfull duels.
Old November 6, 2002, 20:22   #10
Zylka
King

Firaxis, this needs fixing
Here's a nice new one:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	duel10.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	28656  
Old November 6, 2002, 20:42   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Those are close starts.

Have you seen any with starts further apart Zylka?

I have seen one.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:44   #12
Zylka
King

Well I believe my latest duel was the furthest spaced apart yet. It's tough to pinpoint his cap on the left, I couldn't get a good shot including it because lag froze the game up

I'm going to start on wayyy larger maps and see if that makes a proportionate difference
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	crossfirex.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	28661  
Old November 6, 2002, 21:54   #13
HappySunShine
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 05:27
It's not a bug, it was this way in the original civ3 too, they just never fixed it. The map generation and player positioning is one of the worst systems I have seen in any game. But of course Firaxis will never do anything about this because they never expected MP to be successful anyways. PTW was sold for it's extra civs, not for its functionality in MP. And how many people play 1v1 in SP? Don't expect it to be fixed. And this is actually a small problem compared to alot of other things in civ3.
Old November 6, 2002, 22:07   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

HappySunShine, you don't sound to happy.

But I have to disagree with you Happy, IMO, I believe PTW MP will be a raging success. The game just has some growing-pains and Firaxis is addressing those "pains" even as we type.
Old November 6, 2002, 22:07   #15
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I have played two duels, and one both. Frist time i got lucky. Took out border city guarded with 1 spear w/archer (had 3 WC's coming also). 2nd Game, did a rush w/5 swords & 2 srchers.
Old November 6, 2002, 22:09   #16
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

I beleive the "Duel" setup of the game purposely sets up the players close together. After all, It's a DUEL!
Old November 6, 2002, 22:16   #17
HappySunShine
Warlord

That's because you're a complete rookie Wittlich that doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.
Old November 6, 2002, 22:23   #18
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

HappySunShine,

Lets try to keep this discussion civil, shall we?

The bottom line is this: The game is a Duel.

Basically, a duel is take 10 paces, turn and shoot.

It is NOT build a city and then search across God's half acre looking for your opponent. If this were the case, you might as well play a regular game of PTW with 2 people, no AIs and no Barbarians.

Last edited by Wittlich; November 6, 2002 at 22:35.
Old November 7, 2002, 02:15   #19
HappySunShine
Warlord

You obviously never played civilization 2 MP. Tiny maps are close enough even if you start on opposite ends of the map since you'll still be fighting by 3000BC. However in civ3 you're fighting by the second turn of the game. Too much luck is involved when it's that early...but that doesn't really matter considering the amount of luck and random factors in civ3 is ridiculous.
Old November 7, 2002, 02:48   #20
notyoueither
Deity

I had a Tiny Map duel where I was on an island and the oppo was way over yonder on the continent.

I have also seen the 10 squares situation.

I think Firaxis will address the frequency of the 10 square duel being so common. They are listening and believe me, they will hear about it.
Old November 7, 2002, 10:36   #21
metalhead
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

Sorry, I just re-read in more detail and am wondering just what the f*ck you're talking about, liar. Can I see a save of your "stopping my gambit"? Bullsh*t.
A liar? Maybe you'll remember playing against Persia with Carthage. Your warrior wandered over and pillaged one of my squares. After I defended the rest of my tile improvements, your warrior wandered off. I started building archers, and right when I founded my 3rd city, you split. If it was due to lag or a crash, why didn't you just say that???
Old November 7, 2002, 11:35   #22
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

Easy guys....

Remember, this is a game and it's supposed to be fun. Not an ego bruising b**** fest.
Old November 7, 2002, 11:59   #23
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

HappySunShine, my point still remains that this "new" setting in PTW of a "Duel" is meant to start close together. As far as the one game the NYE played with each opponent starting at opposite ends of the map - I concider that a fluke (and granted most likely due to the luck factor in the setup).

And for your information Happy, I've been playing the Civilization series ever since the original Civilization and CivNet (which I still have)....and yes I have both Civ2MGE and Civ2TOT, but that's beside the point...

I agree with you and NYE concerning the "luck factor" which dictates where you start off, and I agree that it should probably be tweeked. But as it stands right now, I am not surprised that dueling opponents start so close together. It's supposed to be a quick, dueling type game and having the two opponents start close together does make for a quick game.
Old November 7, 2002, 14:46   #24
HappySunShine
Warlord

You're an idiot wittlich. I have nothing more to say to you. Learn how to play the game first then come back and talk to me.
Old November 7, 2002, 15:14   #25
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

I find it kind of curious that someone who's screenname is "Happy Sunshine" be so dark and angry.

I don't care if you think that you are the best player to have ever played the game, I don't care if your ego is larger than your unit, and I don't care if you really are a master strategist. You should have some respect for other people, period...or you may find that soon...no matter how good or bad you are...no one will play with you.

Now, in your sick twisted mind, this might mean that you are invincible, but trust me...the players here are excellent, and can step up to any challenge, but won't with you because of the type of person you are. Learn to be a bit more social, would you? Being humble in victory is far more gratifying than being shamed in defeat....

Old November 7, 2002, 16:03   #26
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

HappySunShine, do us all a favor and act your age and not your shoe-size...of course this might be one and the same, which would explain your childish
behavior ...
Old November 7, 2002, 16:52   #27
Zylka
King

Quote:

A liar? Maybe you'll remember playing against Persia with Carthage. Your warrior wandered over and pillaged one of my squares. After I defended the rest of my tile improvements, your warrior wandered off. I started building archers, and right when I founded my 3rd city, you split. If it was due to lag or a crash, why didn't you just say that???
So it sounds as if I was giving you a beating before a crash. Provide the save, we'll finish it. If not, start a new duel? Your choice.
Old November 7, 2002, 17:24   #28
metalhead
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

So it sounds as if I was giving you a beating before a crash. Provide the save, we'll finish it. If not, start a new duel? Your choice.
Pillaging 1 square and then leaving hardly constitutes a beating, if you ask me. You didn't even attack!

Wait, so now you remember, and it was a crash? What happened to me being a liar? I think I'll stick to playing people that have half a brain in their heads. It might even be challenging.
Old November 7, 2002, 17:26   #29
Zylka
King

What you're refering to is an educated assumption made by myself. That's ok if you don't wish to play me again though, I prefer playing people who aren't so stupid that they can't properly defend their capital improvements from a marauding warrior
Old November 7, 2002, 17:33   #30
HappySunShine
Warlord

I don't really care if you don't play me. Especially since MP doesn't work right now.