Old November 6, 2002, 06:08   #1
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
800x600 only? Your kidding me....
800x600 only? WTH!!!

Im sorry but most people to my knowledge dont use 800x600 I though 1024x768 was more common. I mean what person cant afford a damn 16-19inch monitor!!

Thats sad. I might not get MOO3 for that instance alone. Resolution is very important and having 800x600 only make me HAVE to resize my damn monitor every time I play and ill have to see the pity of huge bolky windows.

sigh...time to get with the times. Now game comes with 800x600res anymore. Voxel ships I can stand but 800x600?
Vipermmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 06:41   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:28
Where did you get this from? If its an official post on the discussion boards can you post it in full here, please. Some of us can't access www.ina-community.com/forums at all.
Old November 6, 2002, 06:49   #3
campfreddie
Chieftain

Unfortunately, MOO3 was designed to be compatible with all computers and has beeen delayed over a year from its intended release date.

A year ago, a lot of people had PIIs and monitors that couldn't reach 1024x768. The decision was taken that to maximise sales, MOO3 should be playable at 800x600.

Unfortunately, there was a lack of forward thinking by Rantz and co. and they didn't think resolution would need to go higher.

Rantz's art and animations cannot easily be resized to suit different resolutions, so we're stuck with 800x600. [Feel free to insert conspiracy theories about Rantz being too busy usurping Emrich from the designer's chair or being too scared by hi-res harverster animations to complete the work].

Fortunately, since the game was designed for 800x600 it shouldn't look too cluttered or blocky, unlike when you play games designed for 1024x768 at 800x600 (like NWN or Heroes4).

The resolution worries me a bit too, but hopefully it will be okay.
Old November 6, 2002, 07:07   #4
Zanteogo
Settler

This is Infogrames fault. They read the market and decided on the current low system req.

Do I agree with them? Not really. Most people once their system becomes outdated just ignore all the new games coming out, till they buy a new computer.

So we get the crappy looking space combat we have seen so far.

Yah.
Zanteogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 10:03   #5
DATarbell

Quote:
Originally posted by campfreddie
Unfortunately...

...but hopefully it will be okay.
Let's all chant (no, not 'Chantz') the two unofficial mantras of MoO3. All together now...
Old November 6, 2002, 10:03   #6
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Well thats just sad.

I wont buy MOO3 if its locked at 800x600. Everything is smaller in that res so I dont understand how models would change much.

I refuse to reset my monitor everytime I decide to play MOO3.

If I wont buy it imagine how many others will hate MOO3 resolution. If they hope to sell this game they better think ahead. Voxel engine they can get by with but a simple damn res change is crazy.

Im sorry 800x600 is BS if ya ask me.
Old November 6, 2002, 10:08   #7
Conduit
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Vipermmx

I wont buy MOO3 if its locked at 800x600.
I'll show them! I will just deny myself this game and that will get me even

Don't you think you ought to at least check out the graphics before you decide to cut off your nose to spite your face?
Conduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 10:31   #8
Crimson Rider
Settler

Yes, the game will be 800 by 600 only.

The merits and flaws of this has been discussed so much that it's give new meaning to beating dead horses.

They won't change it. Period. It's old news, let it rest.
Crimson Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 10:37   #9
Anguille2
Chieftain

I hope you get an option during the installation so it is adapted...

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.
Anguille2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 10:49   #10
Crimson Rider
Settler

You won't. It is in 800x600 only.
Crimson Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 10:53   #11
DATarbell

Conduit, I've checked out the graphics. They've been graciously posting screen shot after screen shot for some time now. (The only thing we haven't seen recently are the animations, but to me that's just eye-candy, and not particularly significant to the gameplay.) The problem is, and this is just my opinion, the graphics are "cold," "stiff," and "uninviting." I think this style works against suspension of disbelief.

Crimson Rider, it may indeed be "old news" to many of us here, but the impending release date is bringing more and more fresh faces, all asking the same question: "Is this game going to be worth shelling out the $40-50?" And as several people have stated (in this thread and others), a game that is limited to 800x600 graphics in this day and age is enough to make many people reconsider.

BTW, placing the blame on a 1-year schedule slip just doesn't hold water. Even a year ago 1024x768 was pushing 800x600 'off the stage.'
Old November 6, 2002, 10:58   #12
Llama
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Anguille2
I hope you get an option during the installation so it is adapted...
An option for what? Changing from 800*600 to 800*600?

Quote:
I wont buy MOO3 if its locked at 800x600. Everything is smaller in that res so I dont understand how models would change much.
Yeah! That'll teach 'em! I'm sure IG wil be quivering in fear at the lost revenue from one copy of MOO3.
And it's not the models (space combat) that would be difficult to resize/etc, it's the hand-drawn UI that they'd have to totally re-do (can't remember how many screens) that's preventing them from having more resolutions (and apparently there would have to be more programming done, but I didn't really understand that bit). Well, that and the fact that they'd have to delay it when it's damn close to finally being released.
They may well do more res in an expansion pack (sales permitting), but not now.
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 11:01   #13
Llama
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DATarbell
BTW, placing the blame on a 1-year schedule slip just doesn't hold water. Even a year ago 1024x768 was pushing 800x600 'off the stage.'
They chose 800*600 when the project began, and when IG took it over, they saw fit to continue with those specs. The slip had nothing to do with the choice of resolution.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:07   #14
Craig P.
Warlord

Local Time: 04:28
Quote:
I refuse to reset my monitor everytime I decide to play MOO3.
Unless you're using some kind of flat panel, I doubt any action on your part will be necessary.

My desktop at home is 1024x768 (on a CRT). When I play a game that's at 800x600 (like Railrood Tycoon II or HoMM3, lately), I don't even notice until after I quit, when my Webshots desktop image has been sized to 800x600 instead of 1024x768.

The only people who should care about this are the flat panel crowd, who are just SOL. Anyone with a CRT shouldn't notice a thing.
Craig P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 12:11   #15
DATarbell

Quote:
Originally posted by Llama

They chose 800*600 when the project began, and when IG took it over, they saw fit to continue with those specs. The slip had nothing to do with the choice of resolution.
Llama, I was responding to campfreddie's comments above, not saying that QS/IG was using the 1-year slip as an excuse.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:23   #16
LTD
Settler

Just wondering, what's wrong with 800*600? I play Warcraft 3 on 640*480 just to make it run better.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:33   #17
Vipermmx
Chieftain

I run everything aat 1024x768. MY CRT doesnt resize when going into other reso. So if I play MOO3 I will have to resize my damn desktop everytime I want to play a game thats behind times.

Issues with 800x600

Smaller workspace even in games.
Less space for windows.
Menus look bigger.
Monitor reset

If anyone can help me get my CRT so it wont need to be resized every time I play that would help a TON. Its a Pefect Flat Viewsonic 19inch. If I play any game in 800x600 my game res always has black boarders as my games dont resize right. My monitor has to be set everytime =(

MOO3 looks really good. Dont get me wrong. It makes Civ3 look like a childs turd gameplay wise. I mean the data dumps alone had me boggled with detail. I just dont want this hassle of resizing my desktop and monitor settings. I would REALLY like to play this stellar game but ALOT of people and REVIEWERS will be tunred off by 800x600 res.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:39   #18
DATarbell

Quote:
Originally posted by LTD
Just wondering, what's wrong with 800*600? I play Warcraft 3 on 640*480 just to make it run better.
For me, it's all about context. A higher screen resolution enables me to see more at once--kind of a 'big picture' thing.

You're right, it is sometimes desirable to run a game at a lower resolution in order to get desired performance. But consumers almost always prefer the ability to choose (whether it's screen resolution or the fragrance of your dishwashing detergent ), and it rankles a bit that there is no choice in this situation.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:49   #19
DATarbell

Quote:
MOO3 looks really good. Dont get me wrong. It makes Civ3 look like a childs turd gameplay wise. I mean the data dumps alone had me boggled with detail.
AFAIK, the majority of the data dumps pre-date the "design shift" (are we allowed to say that ?) that took place when Alan "left" the project. The question in my mind is how much of that will be evident in the delivered product?

You're comparing a product design to a shipped product (and yes, I'm being somewhat defensive as I am a Civ3 "fanboy")--and we just won't know until it ships and we have a chance to 'kick its tires.'
Old November 6, 2002, 12:54   #20
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Actually I just got done playing a game of civ3 when I posted this =) Right now trying to take out Korea and he has more land and way more units.

I hope everything in the DDs is in game. That would suck if alot of the stuff was missing! Those design docs were amazing!
Old November 6, 2002, 13:06   #21
Llama
Chieftain

Quote:
If anyone can help me get my CRT so it wont need to be resized every time I play that would help a TON. Its a Pefect Flat Viewsonic 19inch. If I play any game in 800x600 my game res always has black boarders as my games dont resize right. My monitor has to be set everytime =(
Oh, yeah I see what you mean, my monitor doesn't really like 800*600 either, the sides are bowed out somewhat (it doesn't do that with any other res, just 800*600), but hey it's not as if I'm going to be playing many/any other games for a while after MOO3 comes out anyway. And I've got used to other games running in 800*600 pretty quickly.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything that migh help you. Sorry.
Old November 6, 2002, 13:23   #22
Xentax
Warlord

Local Time: 05:28
Actually, as far as I know, it was *Hasbro* market research which led to 800x600 being chosen; IG and QSI decided to stay with it though.

As far as having troubles with resizing, there's a couple things you can try.

Go to display properties/settings/advanced/monitor: Make sure the device shown is either your actual monitor, or "Plug and Play monitor". If it's not, change it. This is the most common problem.

Next, check what refresh rate it's set at -- 60 is generally the default, but most can do better. My display looks best at 72 Hz in terms of sharpness, even though it can also do 75 and 85 Hz.

You'll want to specifically change your desktop res to 800x600 and verify what refresh rate is used there -- often times selecting a different refresh rate will fix the "bow" factor. I'm not positive, but I think DirectX games will use the refresh rate you select in this fashion even if the desktop's runnning at a higher resolution.

If none of that helps, let me know, there's still other things to try...
Old November 6, 2002, 13:39   #23
Mahdimael
Prince

Ouch! Wow, 3d-non-accelerated battles and now 800x600 resolution. Is this game being released for 2002 or 2000?

Old November 6, 2002, 13:43   #24
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 11:28
I'm much more worried about the lack of 3d acc than over this resolution (non)issue. How many people have computers so badly set up that they can't even switch resolution on the fly?
Old November 6, 2002, 15:11   #25
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:

MOO3 looks really good. Dont get me wrong. It makes Civ3 look like a childs turd gameplay wise. I mean the data dumps alone had me boggled with detail. I just dont want this hassle of resizing my desktop and monitor settings. I would REALLY like to play this stellar game but ALOT of people and REVIEWERS will be tunred off by 800x600 res.
I'm currently running 1200 x 1024 as my desktop rez, and it resizes no problem, both going into the game and out of it. I know it's been tested against flat screen monitors, but I'll pass along the concern/problem you have with your specific machine and make sure the testing lab verifies it.

As to the resolution, 800 x 600 was decided by Microprose, who was then bought by hasbro, who kept it at 800 x 600 who was then bought by Infogrames. same with the Hardware rendering issue.

In all likelyhood, had IG been the company that started moo3, the rez would be different, as would other things. Nothing to do with reworks or delays, everything to do with the marketing skew of a particular company.
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 15:13   #26
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:28
800 stinks. DiabloII got away with 640 until the addon went to 800. That is just sick. Did they not hear of scaling. Most games can handle a range of settings.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 15:18   #27
DATarbell

Darn you, Rantz!

I was well into development of a whole new conspiracy theory blaming Barbie for the 800x600 resolution, and the loss of IFP's, and world hunger, and...

And you have to go and ruin it by sprinkling a little reality all over the place.

BTW, thanks for dropping by! I know you guys must be thrashed, about now! Keep up the good work!
Old November 6, 2002, 20:41   #28
Atragon
Prince

Random comment: 800X600 looks kinda fugly on a 19inch monitor when you're used to 1600X1200...though come to think of it, I could fit 4 instances of the game onto a single screen...
Atragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 21:09   #29
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:28
very uguly (yes I spelled it that way) I am so bummed out now to find it is 800. I have been using 21" for years and 19" before that. It is just shocking to see anyone put out an 800 res in 2002 and nearly 2003.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2002, 21:18   #30
SeanV
Chieftain

I'm just going to gloat and weep at the same time.

Gloat because I have never played any game with my monitor set at any other resolution than 640x480.

Weep because my monitor doesn't support 800x600.

(I'm just going to have to get a new computer. )