Old November 6, 2002, 08:42   #1
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How Civs will be picked
I’ve noticed that – as of yet – the topic of how Civs are going to be picked hasn’t come up yet. Personally I’m not a big fan of “whoever calls first”, anyway it’s just not “the civ way” (this is a game of planning, not quick calls). Perhaps we could have someone (impartial, maybe MarkG would do it?) randomly get create a choosing order list? Other ideas?
Old November 6, 2002, 09:03   #2
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
During the impromptu chat between Myself, Trip, Togas and notyoueither, we discussed this at length. Our solution was that each team get to pick a civ. If no one else picks the civ you selected, its yours. If there is a conflict between two civs (I dout there will be more than two of four teams picking the same civ), each team picks one represenative to do paper scissors rock. I know it sounds simplistic but the damn game works. Hell, if you wanted to, you could have a team vote on which item to pick. Winner gets the civ in question, and the looser goes and picks whats left.
Old November 6, 2002, 13:50   #3
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Sounds fair to me.
Old November 6, 2002, 14:10   #4
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Sounds fair to me too.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say nice and early that WarriorPoet is not a DL of mine.

/me waves to WarriorPoet
Hi! Welcome!
Old November 6, 2002, 16:45   #5
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

WarKing was my previous UI, but I can't seem to use that one any more...anyhow, thank you for the welcome.

At least I seem to have found someone of similar thoughts
Old November 6, 2002, 22:51   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

This sounds very reasonable, donegeal
Old November 6, 2002, 23:02   #7
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:28
Fair enough, sounds like a good plan!
Old November 7, 2002, 12:58   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:28
If I understand correctly, during a chat, two appointees plays rock-paper-scissors. Will we use an arbiter, to whom the answer is given privately (like, Trip tells "paper" to Togas, and NYE tells "rock"... Togas reveals the victory of Trip's team to the world once he has both answers).

Whether the choice would be voted by the teams in their private chatrooms or decided by an all powerful appointee, should be up to the teams to decide, don't you think ?
Old November 8, 2002, 06:26   #9
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:28
Another method to discriminate teams having chosen the same civ would be simply to discard the civ concerned; then the two teams would get their second choice. With 24 available civs, there is no risk of shortage.
Old November 8, 2002, 06:43   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
If I understand correctly, during a chat, two appointees plays rock-paper-scissors. Will we use an arbiter, to whom the answer is given privately (like, Trip tells "paper" to Togas, and NYE tells "rock"... Togas reveals the victory of Trip's team to the world once he has both answers).
We figured we would dragoon Mark to be the keeper of the choices.

All he has to do is say 'NYE chose rock, and Trip chose paper. What in Hades are you guys doing?'

We can sort it out from there.
Old November 8, 2002, 14:33   #11
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

One problem that seems to be possible... what if 3 different teams compete for a single civ (most likely Carthage or the Ottomons) and they all have one victory and one loss in a 3-way round of paper-rock-scissors?

Old November 8, 2002, 14:36   #12
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If that happens we can deal with it. Chances are it will not happen. We shouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, the most sensible solution would be to simply repeat the rock/paper/scissors game until we have a winner.
Old November 10, 2002, 12:41   #13
WarriorPoet
Prince

FP has the right idea. VIVA CARTHAGE!!! VIVA THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE!!!
Old November 10, 2002, 14:17   #14
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 04:28
I know I posted this link in another thread, but it's relavent here too

http://www.worldrps.com

We must rock-paper-scissors (or stone-papyrus-flint) by the rules! These people must not have a life...

To make the post useful, I'll say good ideas both Spiff and DAV