Old November 6, 2002, 10:31   #1
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 05:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
WoW Discussion
It's important that we agree on our civ's wonder goals, since this will directly affect our tech path. We know we will need Apollo to reach the stars. That's a given, but very far away.

Currently, we have: Mike's Chapel (happiness)
Leo's Workshop (unit upgrades) and
Adam Smith's Trading Co. (maintenance-free low-level infrastructure)

Presntly available WoWs are Great Library and Oracle. I recommend against pursuing these. GL is worthless to the tech leader, and the Oracle is of limited use (expires).

Currently researching Medicine, which will allow Shakespeare's Theatre. This WoW only affects one city, so I rarely use it. Considering the massive land area of our empire, I doubt we could use it effectively.

Other possibilities include --

King Richard's Crusade. This will greatly increase our shield production, but lasts only until Industrialization (which the AI will immediately race toward).

Magellan's Expedition. All ships gain +2 movement.
Requires: Astronomy, then Navigation.
Minister says: This looks like a land-based game, let's skip it.

JS Bach's Cathedral. A happy WoW (well technically, a "contentment" wonder). Affects only same continent as the city it's built in.
Requires: Theology IIRC, which we should be able to study next if we want.
Science Minister is neutral on this one.

Darwin's Voyage. Gives 2 free tech advances.
Requires: Bridge Building, Navigation, Physics, Steam Engine, Railroad.
Highly recommended.

United Nations. Enforces all proposed peace treaties, allows non-anarchy govt. changes.
Requires: Railroad (see above), then Industrialization, then Communism.
Highly recommended. Why? Because we'll have more Peace while buildiing spaceship parts!

Isaac Newton's College. doubles science output of city it's built in.
Requires: Astronomy, then Theory of Gravity.
Science ministry usually loves this WoW, but it is less useful without colossus and Cope's (Celts have both). Still, it would be great in a city with many trade arrows.

Hoover Dam. Provides Hydro Power to all cities = many shields!
Requires: Electronics, which requires Electricity, which requires a lot of stuff we don't have.
Recommendation: Set this as a long-term goal for our spaceship construction program.

SETI. yields a research lab in every city.
Requires: Computers -- and many other techs we don't have.
Recommendation -- This is a worthy goal to increase our research rate, but is hard to attain until late in the game.

OTHER WoWs...
If we feel we need more happiness, we can consider Cure For Cancer and perhaps Women's Suffrage.

The Science Ministry requests...
that the ppl speak their minds on this important topic.
I will publish two polls -- one for short-term wonders, and one for long-term goals.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old November 6, 2002, 12:10   #2
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

A note on a few of the Wonders:

The Japanese already have King Richard's.

The UN doesn't allow government changes; that's the Statue of Liberty. But the UN does let a democracy declare war 50% of the time.

The "continent-only" descriptions in the game are wrong. As far as I know, all the "continent-only" Wonders (like Bach's) actually cover the whole civ.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 6, 2002, 12:37   #3
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:29
Re: WoW Discussion
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Presntly available WoWs are Great Library and Oracle. I recommend against pursuing these. GL is worthless to the tech leader......
I disagree, what if the Chinese get it? they'll be riding on your coattails util we get eleacte.

Quote:
Magellan's Expedition. All ships gain +2 movement.
Requires: Astronomy, then Navigation.
Minister says: This looks like a land-based game, let's skip it......
Yes, but, it will be quicker to chinese cities for trade
Old November 6, 2002, 14:43   #4
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:29
Re: Re: WoW Discussion
Quote:
I disagree, what if the Chinese get it? they'll be riding on your coattails util we get eleacte.
The idea is that while we are now one step ahead of the AI in research we will greatly increase that lead in the next few turns. The GL only works if TWO civs have a particular tech so if we are 3-5 tech advances ahead of the next leading civ then it will be a long time before the GL is of benefit to a rival, and by that time we will have increased our lead further.

We may have robotics and the Japanese have the GL but if no one else knows robotics the GL does no good.
Old November 6, 2002, 17:19   #5
cavebear
Emperor

I sometimes get GL even if I am ahead in techs strictly as a preventive measure. But I'm not sure even that is worth the cost. The AI civs will trade to get whatever techs they need anyway.

Magellan's would be helpful for trading and exploring. We can't survive with just Trireme's forever anyway. Galleons and Frigates would be nice to have, and if we don't advance our trading capacity and speed, our Caravan-carrying Triremes will start to get attacked and sunk.
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old November 6, 2002, 17:30   #6
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:29
I agree, We need some better naval units both for increaseing trade and for exploring for other civs. But IIRC then isn't another civ allready constructing magellans?
Old November 6, 2002, 17:56   #7
cavebear
Emperor

No civ we have met has or is researching navigation. I don't recall seeing any "travellers reports" of a civ building Magellan's. I can't be certain, though, because I thought I saw a caravel shape while the AI civ moves flashed past at the start of the last turn or two. If anyone is building Magellan's, I suppose it would be the Celts (who seem to be hot on our trail according to the Powergraph).

Old November 6, 2002, 18:50   #8
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 12:29
Re: WoW Discussion
Quote:

Currently researching Medicine, which will allow Shakespeare's Theatre. This WoW only affects one city, so I rarely use it. Considering the massive land area of our empire, I doubt we could use it effectively.
I think we can. Becouse it completely eliminates unhappyness we can station a good size expedition force there.

We can bribe all de NON defence we need but units like vet cannons and artilery we'll probably have to build ourselves

Darwins, Isaac and seti might come in handy too
Old November 6, 2002, 18:54   #9
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Re: Re: Re: WoW Discussion
Quote:
Originally posted by Zedd

The idea is that while we are now one step ahead of the AI in research we will greatly increase that lead in the next few turns. The GL only works if TWO civs have a particular tech so if we are 3-5 tech advances ahead of the next leading civ then it will be a long time before the GL is of benefit to a rival, and by that time we will have increased our lead further.

We may have robotics and the Japanese have the GL but if no one else knows robotics the GL does no good.
I agree, let someone else build it, it expires at electricity anyway.
Old November 7, 2002, 04:10   #10
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 20:29
ummmm... considering we are set for the stars this time around, thinking into the future, would not the Apollo Program be worth the cost of developing?
Old November 7, 2002, 06:15   #11
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 10:29
I think that the best WoW to go for would be Darwin's Voyage. Gives 2 free tech advances.
Requires: Bridge Building, Navigation, Physics, Steam Engine, Railroad.
Highly recommended.

as it will allow a very big technology lead!
Old November 7, 2002, 10:09   #12
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Avoid WoW with effects in only one city (Newton, K Richard...)!
OK for Darwin's for science, but GL is of poor use in our situation, exept to prevent another civ to progress too quickly.
And we need WoWs for happiness in democracy, and UN help diplomacy, as a relay of MarcoPolo.
Old November 7, 2002, 10:31   #13
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I agree with cavebear that we shouldn't entrust our navy to triremes. Magellan's will make a considerable difference in exploiting seapower. If we can get our caravans to market quickly and safely, our research will benefit tremendously!

At this point in the game, building GL will be a waste.
Old November 7, 2002, 20:51   #14
BruceTheStupid
Warlord

Local Time: 10:29
Having just joined, I'm on a steep learning curve to catch up with the game....

It seems we're No1 in tech, with the possible No2 unseen as yet. With our Reputation Dishounorable (Oh Boy, I love a good war! I love several wars even more!! ) we're not going to be making peace and trading knowledge , we want quick conquest of a couple of cities to put them in their place, and get in amongst them in their homeland to keep them occupied. Therefore we need Darwin to keep us ahead in the tech race, and armed with significantly superior units . Then UN to give us the chance to wage war at time of our choosing .

We should try to capture Pyramids for faster expansion before we get Democracy but don't yet have UN.
Old November 8, 2002, 09:56   #15
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

welcome to the C2DG.

It's nice to know we can get advice from Bruce the Stupid. (Great moniker!)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten