Old November 6, 2002, 10:35   #1
jpinard
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Any of you have trouble moving stacks?
I have. Many times I got to move a stack, and it'll move one square or not at all. Most of the time it will not continue it's course after one turn also.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Old November 6, 2002, 13:42   #2
osirus2626
Settler

Local Time: 04:29
The move in a stack command has worked great for me. It makes things nice and smooth when moving massive amounts of artillery to a spot next to an opponents city you would like to turn to rubble.

One thing to remember, is that if you use the "goto" command i think your unit will stop if it comes in contact with an enemy unit.
Old November 6, 2002, 14:11   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:29
yeah, when I installed PTW, it started doing this

go to the preferences menu

I think you need to turn off-show our automatic moves
if not that, its one of those options

hope this helps, it was really irritating me
Old November 6, 2002, 14:13   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

whoops, I misread the question

The stack will only move asfast as the slowest unit, maybe thats the problem.

If you want to move one type of unit, say cavalry leaving the muskets behind, then use the icon above the mini map. can't remember which hotkey command moves one type, but it will say there. ctrl-j or something
Old November 6, 2002, 14:25   #5
Mkinser
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:29
Mixed units?
If you are using mixed units, I believe the stack will only move as far as the slowest unit allows. So if you have a stack of horsemen and spearmen and try to move them together, it will only move the one space that a spearman is allowed.

If they come in contact with any opponent units, they will stop to give you the option to continue on or to destroy the other unit.

This has happened to me a couple of times...I will attack a unit and take over his space on the map. Then I will move a stack onto of that unit. When I try to "re-stack" and move them all together, the original gets left behind. Not sure why this works this way. I am sure there is a logical explanation (the first unit has fewer movement points left???), so I have started to watch for it and work around it as best I can.
Old November 6, 2002, 15:03   #6
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:29
A related stack movement issue -- anyone notice different "show" concepts in stack movement or is my older laptop just not up to snuff? Under stock Civ III I would move a stack of workers across RR to a polluted square, and the view would jump to the destination square and see a worker appear, followed by the little "unit bar indicators" growing (meaning the other members of the stack were arriving at the destination). Under PTW, when I do the same thing, I watch the entire stack move in a series of steps from tile to tile rather than the familiar RR "teleportation" to the destination square (albeit the tile-to-tile movement goes pretty quickly).

(BTW, I play on a 3+ year old laptop with plenty of RAM but otherwise with barely minimum specs -- I'm sure I have a simple, old video card -- I also don't get to see "smooth scrolling" in PTW -- "smooth scrolling" which I understood should look like a camnera panning rather than a step-by-step lurching movement right that I have become accustomed to in any event through stock Civ III).

Catt
Old November 6, 2002, 15:58   #7
rev.jackass
Settler

Local Time: 10:29
Sometimes it does it that way on my brand new laptop, sometimes it shows them move one by one. Don't know why.
Old November 6, 2002, 17:11   #8
Captain THC
Chieftain

On a few different occasions, I've used the 'move unit of same type in stack' command and it hasn't worked - one unit will go, but not the rest. And yes, I'm certain they were unforitified, could move in that turn, and that I actually clicked the button

Other than that, this new feature has been very helpful.
Old November 6, 2002, 17:18   #9
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain THC
On a few different occasions, I've used the 'move unit of same type in stack' command and it hasn't worked - one unit will go, but not the rest. And yes, I'm certain they were unforitified, could move in that turn, and that I actually clicked the button

Other than that, this new feature has been very helpful.

yeah, I've seen that too.

I think its when one set of units already have orders to go to one place and another set is on top of it.

the way to get around is to wake all of the units up or click on all of them, to get rid of the previous orders.