Old November 6, 2002, 11:33   #1
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SimCity 4
5 new articles on the website discussing how buildings are tailored to look different with props; how you develop cities in tandem with others in the region; how traffic flows and more...

www.simcity.ea.com
Old November 6, 2002, 14:30   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:29
Are these the same articles that ADG posted about in the big SimCity 4 thread? Or are they new ones?
Old November 6, 2002, 14:35   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Its the same site so it must be the same articles. We needed a new thread anyway since we stopped comparing to Civ long ago and just drooled at what is coming
Old November 7, 2002, 05:54   #4
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 12:29
Yes, it's the same articles, though you're right, we need some new thread, that's not about comparising, but about drooling over SC4
Old November 7, 2002, 07:06   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:29
So that's a mix of Populous, SimCity, SimTown, and The Sims?

Interesting.
Old November 7, 2002, 08:59   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
And SimsVille (Though that game was never released... )
Old November 7, 2002, 10:58   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:

Interesting.
Hmm, does that mean people will come running out of houses if I deform the terrain they're built near, or do I have to hit the Volcano disaster to achieve that?
Old November 7, 2002, 20:16   #8
tniem
King

Local Time: 05:29
The game's engine is intense. They have each sim trace his route to work but then to display where sims are they take a sampling of those in the game. That way it can be speeded up timewise and still seem like people are going on about their lives at a normal pace. An absolutely great idea. I hope it all works well and plays well.
Old November 7, 2002, 23:08   #9
Urban Ranger
Deity

I hope it doesn't need a Cray to run
Old November 8, 2002, 23:49   #10
Jmaster
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:29
Wow.

I didn't think that Maxis could add any more to the SimCity series, but they proved me wrong. More graphic detail, more in depth traffic and economy simulations, and the ability to import Sims and track them...

I'm looking forward to this.
Old November 9, 2002, 03:28   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 06:29
I wasn't thinking about getting SC4, but now I may just have to.

Old November 9, 2002, 18:57   #12
Jmaster
Chieftain

Release date is January 2003 and you can preorder for about $50. Steep, but a sweet simulation.
Old November 10, 2002, 14:06   #13
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmaster
Release date is January 2003 and you can preorder for about $50. Steep, but a sweet simulation.
Which means with my schedule interwined with school and RoN, I won't have time for it until Summer break. Hopefully the price will come down a good ten bucks or so.
Old November 11, 2002, 13:48   #14
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:29
I dunno if I'll bother. I don't understand the Sims craze. I would want a SimCity taken it in the other direction: more about the buildings and infrastructure, less about watching automated people wandering around.
Old November 12, 2002, 08:14   #15
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

From the SimCity4 site:

Quote:
11.12.02 - Chat Event With SimCity 4 Designer Michael McCormick
We will be hosting a chat event on Thursday, November 14th at 3PM (PST) with SimCity 4 Designer, Michael McCormick where he will answer all of your questions about the MySim feature in SimCity 4. The event will be held in the SimCity 3000 Unlimited chat room at SimCity3000Unlimited.ea.com. You must be registered at the SimCity 3000 Unlimted website so get there early to register and submit your questions.
Go To SimCity3000Unlimited.ea.com
To bad, I'm not registered...so I'll (again) have to wait for the chat log... (Like most else, I guess...)
Old November 12, 2002, 19:17   #16
Jmaster
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
I would want a SimCity taken it in the other direction: more about the buildings and infrastructure, less about watching automated people wandering around.
You don't necessarily have to focus on individual people. I think SimCity covers both the infastructure and the social aspects well. You can pick what to focus on, and when to pay attention (or not) to your sims. I saw an ad for SC3K that said something to the effect that you can zoom in or get a bird's eye view, so the simulation works on both scales.

I admit, though, that they are capitalizing on the success of characterization in The Sims.
Old November 12, 2002, 22:44   #17
Urban Ranger
Deity

I hope they don't go whole hog adding The Sims aspects. SimCity has a different audience.
Old November 12, 2002, 23:37   #18
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:29
...I think that the best thing about SimCity4 is the linkage of the cities a la The Sims... Finally, we will be able to create Suburban Sprawl, Farms, and Bedroom Communities!
Old November 13, 2002, 02:41   #19
tniem
King

Quote:
I hope they don't go whole hog adding The Sims aspects. SimCity has a different audience.
From what I gather, the Sims aspect is just to gather feedback on how your city is doing over all. Much of the transportation information and personality of your residents is to give you instant feedback on how you are doing as the mayor of your town. I have also had concerns with Sims in the game but I don't think it will be harmful. It seems to me that it is just something else to give feedback unless you want to follow around a particular sim that you have a crush on.
Old November 13, 2002, 09:21   #20
Grumbold
Emperor

The Sims actions seems strictly limited to SimCity functions, i.e. they will chase work, try to live in a suitable area and comment on the state of the infrastructure. Just a more personal way of finding out the information that Joe Public bombarded you with in SimCity 2/3.
Old November 13, 2002, 14:25   #21
Grumbold
Emperor

From the main website:

Quote:
11.12.02 - Chat Event With SimCity 4 Designer Michael McCormick
We will be hosting a chat event on Thursday, November 14th at 3PM (PST) with SimCity 4 Designer, Michael McCormick where he will answer all of your questions about the MySim feature in SimCity 4. The event will be held in the SimCity 3000 Unlimited chat room at SimCity3000Unlimited.ea.com. You must be registered at the SimCity 3000 Unlimted website so get there early to register and submit your questions.
Old November 13, 2002, 14:48   #22
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Grumbold >> Posted that a couple post before you
Old November 13, 2002, 20:01   #23
Grumbold
Emperor

Looks like my eyes, brain and fingers aren't talking too each other at the moment. I blame too many good games piling up on the imminent release list. Its a miracle I get any work done at all
Old November 13, 2002, 23:12   #24
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:29
"You don't necessarily have to focus on individual people…"

Well, the game is focused on how sims like/dislike every feature of your city. In other words, it's only as good as the sims are programmed, not about making a city work.
Old November 15, 2002, 11:49   #25
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Here's some new movies:

I have seen on of them, and it's about gameplay, looks great

EDIT:

Hmmm...strange, the link doesn't work...just try to do a search on that page...

One of the new things you see, is a disaster: lightening...looks awsome

Last edited by Adagio; November 15, 2002 at 11:58.
Old November 15, 2002, 21:48   #26
Jmaster
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
Well, the game is focused on how sims like/dislike every feature of your city. In other words, it's only as good as the sims are programmed, not about making a city work.
The sims are important in that they test your creation. Without people to drive on the roads and use the power, the simulation would mean little. In short, I think making a city work is providing services to the people, which makes the sims critical for the entire model. So yes, I think SimCity is about the sims, but that's how to model how a city works.

There is a way to just build a city and not have sims distract you: the pause button.
Old November 17, 2002, 08:08   #27
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I wonder if the game top list (both the one for series, and for individual games) will change after the release of SC4?
Old November 19, 2002, 05:59   #28
Grumbold
Emperor

There's a new chat transcript detailing the ways you can use MySims and 9 new screenshots on the main site. The sports field, zoo and giant robot all look beautiful. Heck, everything looks beautiful
Old November 19, 2002, 08:05   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Great news...better go take a look
Old November 19, 2002, 08:28   #30
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Nice screenshots, though the questions asked in the chat were pretty...dumb...most of them...Most of those questions has already been answered in other rewievs...but I guess those participitating, haven't read those...

Though one question had a "nice" answer...you can import pets into SC4 as MySims