Old December 4, 2002, 04:09   #61
Craig P.
Warlord

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Arcologies are a feature of SimCity 2000. I don't know that it's advertised, but it's certainly not hidden.
Old December 4, 2002, 08:03   #62
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 12:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Jmaster
I don't believe I have ever heard arcologies advertised in SC. Were they some kind of half-hidden easter egg, meant for a suprise?
They were in SC2k, and they wasn't hidden...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmaster
I think arcos are a nifty add-on that looks nice. It's hard to implement a city within a city. They would have to be huge and expensive.
That was the problem, they used less space than a zoo... and they were pretty cheap...
Old December 9, 2002, 13:59   #63
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:29
Arcologies are a concept that we are starting to see in embryo form in the real world. They are one logical progression past modern architecture. High density self contained living, working, leisure and retail spaces. Already we have gated communities where people live and work.

I'd just like to see something that takes us past 2002 (or even 2010) architecture. If we get microwave and fusion plants there ought to be similar extrapolations of other modern city spaces. 11 Sep may have briefly blunted our desire to build taller, but its made security even more desirable.
Old December 9, 2002, 14:06   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I'd just like to see something that takes us past 2002 (or even 2010) architecture.
I agree, would be nice to have a near-future city (well...2010 is near-future...isn't it?), but if they include arco's, they really need to be taller, take up more land and cost much more...
Old December 9, 2002, 14:15   #65
Grumbold
Emperor

..but then you couldn't fit 1024 Launch Arco's in your single region anymore

They did dwarf the biggest skyscrapers in SC2000. The whole point of an Arco is high-density living to make the most of stratospheric property costs. Admittedly 65,000 people in a building with a 5x5 footprint was stretching it a little, even with a pressure dome over the parkland on floor 1,000
Old December 9, 2002, 16:18   #66
Comrade Tribune
Prince

I think they should add a few more 'special' buildings.

Such as Churches for the pious.

And a Red Light District, for the not so pious.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old December 9, 2002, 17:06   #67
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

AFAIR you could build the Red Light District in SimsVille... the game Maxis cancelled...
Old December 9, 2002, 20:28   #68
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 10:29
Arcologies need a highway connection, why? Think in the food needed for maintain all the people!!!

I can see a huge building with one or more highways with hundreds of truck. Also train connections, subway and other transports saturated trying to solve the demand problem. Think in all the load/unload actions of a small city of 65.000 to 300.000 inhabitants!!!

Last edited by XarXo; December 9, 2002 at 20:43.
Old December 9, 2002, 21:44   #69
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:29
[rant mode ]
The things I never liked too much in SC2k is the scale conflict. On the one hand, it is implied that each tile is one acre, roughly 208 feet (63.4 m) square. That being the case, the buildings are too large by at least a factor of 2 and roads too large by a factor of 4 or more.

As others have pointed out, being forced to build a 3x3 fire or police station is somewhat absurd. Most fire stations need a couple acres at most, allowing for space to turn the trucks and park the firemen's vehicles. Maybe in NYC or similar high-density environments larger stations (with a dozen or more emergency vehicles and living spaces for crews in shifts) are efficient. A police station for a small city might be 3x3 counting all the vehicle parking and servicing areas, but in most cases would be closer to 2x2.

To put it in perspective, the late World Trade Center Towers were built with each floor being a full acre. The average skyscraper in NY, Tokyo, etc have towers approximately half the width, 0.2-0.4 acre/floor. The footprint of the building at ground level would be larger, but zoning ordinances require that tower faces be set back from the property line—the higher one goes, the greater the required setback distance.

In SC2k a typical commercial or residential highrise is 2x2, without any appreciable setback from the property edges. The smallest commercial buildings take up a whole tile. In real cases they'd be ¼ to ½ an acre. Low density housing is shown at 2/tile, which might be true in the fancier suburban neighborhoods, but the total acreage available for low density housing in the neighood of any reak city far exceeds the playable map area at 1 acre/tile.

The roads are way too big, with city streets rarely being more than 80 feet wide (allowing for 4 lanes of traffic, angled parking on the sides, a median, and a wide sidewalk). A 4-lane interstate highway right-of-way is rarely a full 200' wide—only 12' per lane of traffic, 8-10' shoulders each side, 20-30' median and sidings.

When you come to truly large structures for heavy industry, warehouses, etc a 3x3 (9 acre) area hardly suffices. The mall in my home city is larger than that and this is a small city! Then consider to the size of the parking lot…

Seaport and airport designs are so far off-scale it is laughable. A small airport built before the advent of jets would have 2000-3000' runways. That would be 10-15 one-acre tiles. Runways for commercial jets must be at least 5000', or 25 one-acre tiles in length. The larger international airports have 10k' runways, 50 one-acre tiles in length.

At one level "it's just a game," and who cares? But the more features they try to shoehorn in (rights-of-way and stations and terminals for bus and subway and train service, parks, service infrastructure, etc), each with excessive space requirements, the less is left over for living and business.
Old December 10, 2002, 09:29   #70
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

More screens at the official site

Old December 10, 2002, 11:15   #71
XarXo
Prince

===========

Mmmm, I can see myself running in a empty road, is night, I see the lights of a small city in the valley, no trees, and in a small corner, the cemetery of the city... AAAAAAAGH, a GHOST!!!! AGHHH...

===========

More Ghostly Stories on SimSpooky 4

Whoa, look thes screen at:

http://simcity.ea.com/images/screens...hot_02_big.jpg
Old December 10, 2002, 13:37   #72
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Heh. Got to love the shot of the prison sitting in the middle of a residential neighborhood.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:51   #73
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
Heh. Got to love the shot of the prison sitting in the middle of a residential neighborhood.
Oh yes? How about a nice view of a toxic waste dump from your window?

The first new screenshot That's got to be one of the best
Spore page
Old December 10, 2002, 13:59   #74
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Reminds me of where I live... with a priso...ehmm... I mean school just next to, were I live (Just kidding... lucky me, the school is not THAT close to where I live )
Old December 10, 2002, 16:01   #75
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Homeland security coming to you.

Old December 10, 2002, 19:14   #76
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 06:29
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
More screens at the official site
What the heck is THAT??
Old December 10, 2002, 19:32   #77
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Looks like a missile testing range.
Old December 10, 2002, 19:57   #78
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 06:29
Crap! I was hoping to be able to target neighboring cities with it.
Old December 10, 2002, 20:57   #79
ixnay
Emperor

I believe that the missiles don't always hit their targets, though, and can cause some destruction in your city.
Old December 11, 2002, 09:20   #80
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I found an interwiev with Maxis here

There's also at least one new screenshot on that site (I haven't read the interview yet... but on page two, they have a screenshot of a movie studio )
Old December 11, 2002, 09:33   #81
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamers Temple
GT: Any plans to add multiplayer support? If so, will the game be competitive or cooperative?

KH: We have a feature called SimCityscape that will allow people to cooperatively play with one or more cities. There are still many elements of this feature that are in discussion, so there’s not much that I can reveal. But it will be cool!
Now... this sounds nice (Hopefully they will make more MP support in the future... )
Old December 11, 2002, 09:43   #82
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Oooh multiplayer!!

But cooperatvie with 1 city?

How could that work, one player builds a school, the other bulldozes it and builds a police station?
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 11, 2002, 09:51   #83
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Good question... We'll find out, when they release more information about it, or the game is released
Old December 11, 2002, 14:49   #84
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:29
Is that a car accident in the sixth picture?
Old December 11, 2002, 14:57   #85
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I believe it's two police-cars, who just cought a criminal (car thief maybe)...
Old December 11, 2002, 16:55   #86
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
Oooh multiplayer!!

But cooperatvie with 1 city?

How could that work, one player builds a school, the other bulldozes it and builds a police station?
I think it´s cooperation within a region. You can split up your region, with each player building one or more cities/villages, all interconnected. Very cool! This is currently the game I am most looking forward to. I hope it will not be too easy, Sc3 had too few negative influences, the socio-economic model was too optimistic.

Old December 11, 2002, 17:14   #87
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Detailed Preview, Part 2!
SimCity 4 also offers the long sought-for opportunity to choose between several types of – for example – schools, hospitals and police stations. But these choices mean you also have to choose between varying standards, costs and different degrees of service. One of the greatest benefits from this is that you, the mayor, don’t have to see the same schools, hospitals and police stations everywhere in your city. During the gaming session at Maxis one could note that you can choose from as many as three variants of these buildings. Another surprising novelty is the possibility to rotate buildings before plotting them, an option applying to private buildings as well as public landmarks and rewards. By doing this, Maxis offers the player yet another opportunity to avoid these returning building duplications, thus guaranteeing a perfect gaming experience.

http://w1.193.telia.com/~u19311232/g...wg4g10002.html

Old December 11, 2002, 18:01   #88
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

bleh...what's with the blue?
You do know blue on blue doesn't read well (MOO3 style ).
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 12, 2002, 11:36   #89
XarXo
Prince

Ohhhh, I want this game!!!!!!!!! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOWWWWWWWW
Old December 12, 2002, 16:18   #90
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
Ohhhh, I want this game!!!!!!!!! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOWWWWWWWW
My reactions to the Sc4 previews are very similar.

Welcome to gamoholics anonymous, aka Apolyton.