Old November 6, 2002, 13:52   #1
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
quick way to clean pollution
this only works if the polluted tile is not one of the tiles right next to a city. it only works on tiles outside the first tile radius. have some extra settlers, and when u see pollution on one of these outer tiles, just move settler there and plant a city. the pollution is gone and u can abandon the city.
Old November 6, 2002, 14:16   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 07:30
interesting, but I never cheat.

Old November 6, 2002, 14:53   #3
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 04:30
I wouldn't consider this cheating; I wouldn't try it because of the loss of a Settler, even if only temporarily.

I keep plenty of Workers handy, esp. after pollution becomes a big issue, and have roads/railroads all over the place so that pollution, even large scale amounts, can be taken care of usually in one turn. I keep my Workers doing other stuff when not cleaning pollution so they aren't costing me money for no return.
Old November 6, 2002, 16:27   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:30
I do not see it as a cheat, since it really does not gain you much. You give up the settler, when a few workers could do the job.
Old November 6, 2002, 17:25   #5
Alex
Emperor

well, from that point of view (losing a settler in exchange for a small benefit), you couldn't say it is a cheat, since it doesn't put you in a clearly advantageous position.

Maybe I should have said it is an exploit, but this word would probably be inadequate too, for the same reason stated above.

I just want to say that I don't do it.
Old November 7, 2002, 15:48   #6
Pachabel
Settler

Local Time: 05:30
It's certainly an exploit. Settlers were not designed to clear pollution in any manner.
Old November 7, 2002, 17:28   #7
cracker
Warlord

Local Time: 03:30
This is not a cheat or an exploit, but just a function of the power of a settler.

Settlers can also clear jungle, build road, and build railroad all in the same square on a single turn. This move saves well over 30 turns of worker effort.

The pollution splatter gambit saves 4 to 8 worker turns.

Quick move technique that may benefit you in the attack is the instant road over the mountains that may come from using a worker to build a colony even if you don't need the colony.

You just have to weigh the benefits of what you gain agains the cost of sacrificing the the worker or the settler. A settler has an in game value of at least 70 and perhaps 100 power points. A worker has a value of at least 30 power points. Pollution can usually be cleared by 4 to 8 workers in a single turn and this has a cost of 8 power points. You make the call if these are worthwhile trade offs.
Old November 7, 2002, 18:34   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:30
Yup that is about the size of it.
Old November 8, 2002, 06:54   #9
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cracker
You make the call if these are worthwhile trade offs.
For me, these trade offs are not worthwhile, but that is because I role-play the game... I want it to be as close to real life as possible, without sacrificing the fun.

Anyway, interesting points, cracker.
Old November 8, 2002, 07:38   #10
Minmaster
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by cracker
Quick move technique that may benefit you in the attack is the instant road over the mountains that may come from using a worker to build a colony even if you don't need the colony.
that, i never thought about. great idea! i will surely use this tactic when i get a chance!
Old November 8, 2002, 10:25   #11
Lucarse
Warlord

Local Time: 10:30
This is a naff idea, by the time i get pollution the tile the pollution is on is irrigated/mined with rail, putting a settler on this destroys all of this.

so :
4 workers in democracy cleans pollution in one turn.

Your settler solution (to restore improvements)
Lose one turn for worker movement (no roads)
1 worker for irrigation,
2 workers for mining,
1 worker for roads,
1 worker for rail.

Not to mention the Worker verses Settler production cost.

Hmm i think having workers wins out.
Old November 10, 2002, 14:05   #12
Minmaster
Warlord

yea see what i do is, whenever i take over a huge city, like metropolis, i try to get the population down to 1 or 2. making bunch of foreign settlers is a quick way to get the pop down instead of waiting for every turn to starve the city. so these settlers are basically free to waste for me. cuz i wouldve starved off the pop anyways, why not get a free settler to waste however i want to.
Old November 11, 2002, 03:48   #13
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 11:30
I wouldn't call this cheating. Imagine a bunch o settlers are moving into a polluted area but still they like the place. Before they build the city, they do clean the pollution up and then proceed with laying the foundations of the city. Now after a few years the city council sits down and decides that it was a bad idea after all and decide to abandon the city for greener pastures!

So long...
Old November 11, 2002, 07:09   #14
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:30
usinig a settler also kills the irrigation or maine you had there.