Old November 6, 2002, 16:42   #1
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 05:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Still can't get Auto-Bombard to work
I click on auto bombard, my unit bombards the city that turn, then I have to do it again every turn. Anyone else have any luck with this?
Old November 6, 2002, 16:48   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:32
Yes, in my current game I'm seiging an English city and have two of my catapults set to auto-bombard. They bombard every turn - unless I click on them, then they reset and I have to reissue the order. So to answer your question - Yes, my auto-bombard works.
Old November 6, 2002, 17:07   #3
SK138
Warlord

I have always done it with cannons but it should still work, I dont know why it isn't. I click auto - bombard and it works just like regular bombard. I never touch them until the games asks for orders for them which is every turn.
Old November 6, 2002, 17:12   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I wonder if it's because the city you are bombarding is actually empty, so hense, no targets?

Now I've noticed that on my auto-bombard, my catapults will fire on their own (usually when I'm looking at another part on the map) but I can still "hear" them firing.
Old November 6, 2002, 17:16   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I think they do keep firing until the city is size one with no targets

I do love the option, combined with the increase in bomber range, and it makes that area of warfare a lot less tedious. great option
Old November 6, 2002, 17:51   #6
SK138
Warlord

No, the city isn't empty and my auto bombard still doesn't work.
Old November 6, 2002, 19:19   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well then, I'm stumped then SK. Maybe someone else has some more light to shed on this.

It could be this is a bug in the game and I just haven't been bitten by it yet...
Old November 6, 2002, 19:36   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

DP
Old November 6, 2002, 20:12   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

SK obviously has battle animations turned on and is watching through the end of the turn...
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 6, 2002, 20:52   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

That might be true - I too have the battle animations turned on (haven't gotten tired of it yet)

But my auto-bombardment seems to be working correctly.
Old November 6, 2002, 20:56   #11
jpinard
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:32
My auto-bombard does not work either.
Old November 6, 2002, 20:57   #12
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:32
Maybe you have your units set to Wake when next to an Enemy unit - are you next to the town?

Maybe the Wake for Enemy is cancelling out the automation of AutoBombard?

Wittlich, do you have Wake for Enemy on and are your units adjacent to an enemy unit, i.e. the town?

What about you SK?

Just a thought.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:03   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Hmm, you might have a point there...I believe I do NOT have my units wake when next to enemy...but I not positive.

Wait a minute! I know for a fact that I have my unit set at NOT waking when adjacent to enemy units. I remember because my ships don't wake-up when the AI passes by.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:08   #14
SK138
Warlord

I have to try that. I don't know if my units are set to wake up or not. Thanks everyone for all you help.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:25   #15
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

That's why we are all here!
Old November 6, 2002, 23:58   #16
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:32
SK -
Let us know if that fixes it.

If so, the usefullness of AutoBombard just decreased quite a bit in my book.

Maybe it's a bug.
Old November 7, 2002, 01:03   #17
ayronis
Prince

Something else that I've found: If you have movement remaining after you auto-bombard, and you use any of them or even click "no orders (space)", then you cease autobombarding. This is really only an issue with ships because they have so much movement.

To prevent this is make sure to use my movement points first or I click "End Turn Now" (after moving all my other units of course).

Anyone else discover this?

aštassi kammu naklu ša šumeri ṣullulu akkadű ana šutēšuri ašṭu
"I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)
Old November 8, 2002, 02:46   #18
ShredZ
Chieftain

I think the initial poster was thinking stack-bombard, auto-bombard works fine, although its not very effective. Who remembers where the thread on stack-bombard went ???
Old November 8, 2002, 14:45   #19
Nethog
Warlord

Auto-bombardment does not work for me either. This is interesting since some of you have stated it works fine! My situation: I am playing the Koreans, regent difficulty, standard map with 8 Civs. I have about about 15 catapults attacking a non-empty Chinese city. I am NOT using the sentry commands. When I select auto-bombard it does a single bombard, and next time I must select bombard again next time.

Perhaps theres some kind of bug with auto-bombard related to game preference settings?

EDIT: Oh yea, I am running 1.04.
Get them at:http://pmm1.home.comcast.net/games/games.html
Old November 8, 2002, 15:24   #20
ayronis
Prince

I believe many of you are a little confused.
Auto-Bombard and Stack Bombarding are different things.

Auto-Bombard instructs the unit to continue to bombard a location every turn, until there is nothing left to target or you cancel it.

Stack-Bombard is a feature that to my knowledge, we do not have. If it exists it would allow you to tell an entire stack to bombard a location with only one command, much like stack movement allows you to move units. I would very much like to see this option but to my knowledge it doesn't exist.

"I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)
Old November 8, 2002, 16:04   #21
Nethog
Warlord

Well, I would rather drop the discussion about stack bombardment in this thread (since it doesn't exist anyway) and try to get to the bottom of why auto-bombardment doesn't work for certain people, such as myself in the case of catapults.
Old November 8, 2002, 16:39   #22
SK138
Warlord

I am using auto-bombard and the sentry thing doesn't fix it, it still won't work, my problem is the same as Nethog's.
Old November 8, 2002, 20:49   #23
ayronis
Prince

I don't believe sentry will fix it. I believe the only way to get it to work is to tell it to Auto-bombard and do nothing further with that unit. I think any further order of any kind will disengage the automate, and it will not bombard again on the next turn.

If you try that and it still doesn't work then I am totally out of ideas. Perhaps it is a bug???

Old November 8, 2002, 22:50   #24
Nethog
Warlord

I figured out why auto-bombardment isn't working!!!

It turns out that the game is working as designed!!

In the game preferences, if you have "Cancel orders for Enemy Combat unit" turned ON, then auto-bombardment will stop for artillery units that are next to an enemy unit (i.e. like catapults in my current game).

Obviously, for the special case of a land-based artillery unit with a 1-range bombardment capability, the "Cancel orders ..." switch should *NOT* have an effect. For all other units the preference should function as designed. That's what I would propose to Firaxis.
Old November 9, 2002, 01:33   #25
SK138
Warlord

I turned that thing off in the preferences when an enemy is nearby but when I click to auto bombard, it still does not work. However, I think my auto bombard was working when I push shift-b instead of clicking the button, so maybe the button is just programmed wrong or something.
Old November 9, 2002, 08:16   #26
Nethog
Warlord

I use the icon, and it works fine for me.