View Poll Results: Which Civ should we roleplay?
Carthage 9 32.14%
Celts 4 14.29%
Ottoman 5 17.86%
Spanish 6 21.43%
Other (please post choice below. Each posted civ will also be counted) 4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2002, 02:16   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
IMO, the civs that would be the most fun to role-play would be either Spain or especially the Vikings.

Ahh, the good ol' days of raiding and pillaging.
Old November 9, 2002, 02:18   #32
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
Vikings aren't all they're cracked up to be... I've played them...

As for Spain, haven't played them yet - I'm going to go try them tonight/tomorrow morning before we have our team chat tomorrow

In my opinion, ALL of the civs are role-playable... they all have histories and cultures and things of interest... Therefore, deciding on a civ to play will largely be a matter of practicality as much as role-play interest. Given this, the Vikings simply don't make it...
Old November 9, 2002, 02:27   #33
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Meh, I dunno about the Ottomans. All they are is 'internal strife-conquest-internal strife-conquest-internal strife-conquest-rinse-repeat'.

I'm just saying, the most fun civ to role-play would be the Vikings, IMO.
Old November 9, 2002, 02:33   #34
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I'm just saying, the most fun civ to role-play would be the Vikings, IMO.
For you, that's almost certainly true

As for me... I don't care so much about whether we're warlike or peaceful... I just want the civ we play to be commercial (for role-play purposes - even if it sometimes isn't in our interests in game terms).

Thus, my list is:

Carthage
Rome
Greece
Spain
France
India
England
Old November 9, 2002, 02:36   #35
Jon Shafer

France would be another good pick. Whenever someone declares war, offer them cities off the bat.
Old November 9, 2002, 03:21   #36
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:32
...Only after you failed shortly to conquer the whole world
Old November 9, 2002, 03:27   #37
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
France would be another good pick. Whenever someone declares war, offer them cities off the bat.
Oooo! Yeah! Pick France! Pick France!
Old November 9, 2002, 06:02   #38
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal

Oooo! Yeah! Pick France! Pick France!
Being an anglophile, there is no way in hell that I'm going to be ok with picking France

(ok, France isn't all that bad and indeed pretty damn good in game terms, but I certainly wouldn't want to role-play as the French... )

BTW, I just played a game as the Spanish... damn fun civ to play - I was honestly surprised (I hadn't been expecting it to be so much fun). Now, part of the fun was that the AI seemed oddly relaxed for a PTW single-player game (the PTW AI doesn't typically just sit there and wait for you to bonk their heads).

Even taking that into account, here's my assessment of the conquistadore:

- In terms of combat ability versus anything above spearmen, it sucks - royally...
- However, if you can find an AI civ (or a lazy human civ...) which hasn't upgraded all of his defensive units from spearmen, the conquistadore is EXTREMELY DEADLY. The reason is that you can easily penetrate his empire to those cities in the back with only spearmen on defense... you can even use conquistadores to mass-attack a city with a lone pike on defense and wipe it out (even if the city is behind the front lines). The conquistadore's main use, however, is to penetrate enemy territory and tear up improvements over critical resources and luxuries and capture stray workers and settlers (and then disband them to prevent re-capture).
- The biggest problem with the conquistadore is the prohibitive cost for its value... it's 70 shields, same cost as a knight : : :

In all, the best value of the conquistadore is its TIMING, allowing you to get a very well-timed golden age if you haven't already gotten your golden age from a wonder.

The Spanish traits are GREAT for my playstyle and I always did like India, which had the same traits (even with the near useless UU). Religious and Commercial is a really powerful combination... not to be underestimated.

CONCLUSION: Spain is basically India with a better-timed, yet still nearly useless, UU.
Old November 9, 2002, 06:14   #39
Arnelos
Emperor

Based upon playing that game as Spain (so now I've played a single-player game of all of the new civs except the Mongols and Koreans)...

Here's my thoughts on civ choices:

1. Carthage
2. Greece
3. Spain
4. Rome
5. India
Old November 9, 2002, 06:42   #40
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Glad to read you Arnelos. Your report comfort me in my choice of the Spanish civ.

I think, it'll be different from a game to another, but basically the Conquistadors are potentially very dangerous to the other civs. And triggering the GA with their first successful attack, will allow the spanish civ to build knights or cavaleries (if the tech is yet discovered) faster, so the military potential will be increased dramatically to allow later military victories during or after the GA.

On the other hand, the choice of Carthage is certainly good, but i think their GA will come too early. In addition, they will not have the religious ability of the Spanish civ. I think this ability will be very important in this game, since there will be mostly warmongers teams. With the spanish civ no long periods of anarchy. It'll be very important to keep the potential ability to build military units during the war times.
Old November 9, 2002, 18:02   #41
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 04:32
Roleplay as the French:

Be a bunch of sissies, taunt King Arthur in his search for the Holy Grail , Be a bunch of sissies, have dudette who leads armies to victory, be a bunch of sissies, fail at colonizing new world, have bloody revolt, eat weird stuff, actually get a pretty good go at conquering large part of Europe, be a bunch of sissies, basically surrender to Germany in WWII, be a bunch of sissies.

Then again, being an American I guess that's my view of every nation in the world.
Old November 9, 2002, 19:17   #42
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
Our Civilization!
Members of the Tribe,

We have officially chosen CARTHAGE as our Civilization. Should this civ be unavailable, we have chosen the Spanish as our backup Civ.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 9, 2002, 19:22   #43
Spiffor

Oh well, I guess we'll have to train for a 3 players stone-paper-scissors
Old November 9, 2002, 19:26   #44
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Spiffor, it's not stone-paper-scissors, its stone-papyrus-flint.
(Wasn't flint sharp? I cant remember)
Old November 9, 2002, 19:30   #45
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
Obsidian certainly was.
Old November 9, 2002, 19:41   #46
Spiffor

But... Isn't obsidian too solid to be beaten by the stone ?
Old November 9, 2002, 20:07   #47
Arnelos
Emperor

I believe Spiffor is right about that... flint will have to do
Old November 10, 2002, 13:13   #48
mrmitchell
King

Ancient: stone-papyrus-flint
Midieval: gem-scroll-sword
Industrial: brick-paper-saw
Modern: rock-paper-scissors

http://www.worldrps.com/index.html
World Rock Paper Scissors Society - these guys have too much time on their hands!