Old November 6, 2002, 21:12   #1
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New Idea
I don't know if this is possible to do or not in the editor but I think science rate should go up when you're at war. In just about every war, epecially the US civil war, technology increased very quickly. Anyone agree or know a way this could be done?
Old November 6, 2002, 21:22   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

While I do agree with your observation, I think a lot of the "perfectionists" would go crazy about this one.

HA HA HA HA HA....
Old November 6, 2002, 21:25   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:34
I dont agree. Didnt only military science improve in wartime? And i dont think going to war needs any more incentives in gameplay terms.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:33   #4
SK138
Warlord

Military Science improved mostly, but because of that, many new ideas came that helped make other everyday items. Too bad I can't think of any examples right now, but someone should know some.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:35   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:34
If being in a war increases your science/research output, then war would be good and peace bad. There would be no incentive in a peaceful civilization...except having "happy" citizens. Even as it stands right now, when you're at war you can keep your citizens happy while at war by increasing luxury tax and juggling some balls (entertainers)...so it is a "game balancing" situation.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:43   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:34
Quote:
Originally posted by SK138
Military Science improved mostly, but because of that, many new ideas came that helped make other everyday items. Too bad I can't think of any examples right now, but someone should know some.
jet engines

the start of commercial flight

the idea is good btw, but there should be a balancing negative (except for war weariness)

- slower growth
- income penalties
- higher corruption
are some possibilities
(war should be a bad thing IMO)
Old November 7, 2002, 01:23   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

And of course in the late game, this could evolve:

warfare->v-2 rockets->Apollo->tang

of course, tang=transcendence and you win the game.
Old November 7, 2002, 02:41   #8
Powerslave
Settler

In MP games you would try find a partner which you could agree to be at war with to increase the tech rate.
Old November 7, 2002, 03:04   #9
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

In a MP game, it won't be a matter of finding a "partner"... just a matter of finding somebody else to attack
Old November 7, 2002, 03:15   #10
jkelly
Chieftain

War tech boost
I think that, in terms of CivIII abstractions, the "tech boost" from certain recent "real life" war winners is better reflected by the science slider than the state of being in war itself.

A lot of WWII (the period I assume that you're thinking about) resources went into a "tech race".

Unlike what happened in certain CivII scenarios, I wouldn't want to see Roman expansion wind up giving the Celts gunpowder.
Old November 7, 2002, 04:05   #11
Ozymandias
Prince

Local Time: 06:34
Re: New Idea
Quote:
I don't know if this is possible to do or not in the editor but I think science rate should go up when you're at war. In just about every war, epecially the US civil war, technology increased very quickly. Anyone agree or know a way this could be done?
Two observations --

1. Major wars often occur during times of rapid technological change, which generally coincide with rapid social change, which coincides with revised views of strength, as tech progress is hardly ever uniform between nations/civs/what-have-you -- simplistically put, the industrialized North didn't need slaves whereas the largely agrarian South did. IIRC, the only major Confederate tech innovation -- albeit a huge one! -- was the ironclad (yep, I know, the Hunley as 1st submarine -- at once brilliant and an utter failure).

2. Major wars also suppress non-military advances -- WW2 basically put the television on the back-burner for its duration.

-Oz
... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...
Old November 7, 2002, 04:05   #12
Martinus
Prince

I guess you can come up with arguments either for war and for peace as far as science is concerned.

Like the Nth Rule of Acquisition:

"War is good for profit"
"Peace is good for profit"

Old November 7, 2002, 16:58   #13
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 04:34
Martinus,

Those would be rules 34 and 35 from the Ferengi Rules of Aquisition.

see: http://www.sjacob.org/trek/

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old November 7, 2002, 17:09   #14
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 04:34
I think the game already does a decent job with the mobilization option.

Increased production and "military only" related production focus the results of your previous innovations that otherwise would have languished for decades in research labs. Most of the German "super weapons" had been in R&D by the university scientists all through the 1930's, but weren't rushed into service until 1944, when it was already too late for them to do any good.

And something people don't realize is that WW II started almost 5 years too early for the Nazi "Master Plan" - their economy wasn't fully mobilized until 1944 when they realized that they had lost in Russia (read 'Mobilized' status vs. Normal).

Countries like Great Britain, Canada were fully mobilized by 1940, and late 1942 for the United States. This is part of the reason for why things turned out the way they did.

Never underestimate the stupidity of great political leaders when it comes to war.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old November 7, 2002, 18:02   #15
Ozymandias
Prince

Local Time: 06:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen
And something people don't realize is that WW II started almost 5 years too early for the Nazi "Master Plan" - their economy wasn't fully mobilized until 1944 when they realized that they had lost in Russia (read 'Mobilized' status vs. Normal).
Admiral Raeder actually promised Hitler that the German navy would be ready for war in 1946.

-Oz.
... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...
Old November 7, 2002, 18:21   #16
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Re: New Idea
Quote:
While the observation is correct, its projection into the game is not. It was not the war itself that made science progress so fast. It was the huge resource investment made by warring parties (manpower & finances). You can have this even in the current incarnation of Civ3, if you raise your science budget while at war (say, to get a military tech ASAP), maybe even adding scientists... not effective game-wise, but that would be similar to what happened in the real world.

And as someone correctly pointed out, war often helped bring techs already known, but not yet used, into common use.
Old November 7, 2002, 18:58   #17
SK138
Warlord

Re: Re: New Idea
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

..maybe even adding scientists... not effective game-wise
Is there a way to add scientists in Civ3, I hope this isn't something I missed. I remember in Master of Orion 2 you could add scientist, but I never thought you could in the civ games.
Old November 7, 2002, 19:52   #18
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:34
Re: Re: Re: New Idea
Quote:

Is there a way to add scientists in Civ3, I hope this isn't something I missed. I remember in Master of Orion 2 you could add scientist, but I never thought you could in the civ games.
Sure you can. Open up your city view. click on a worker in the field, he will then turn into an entertainer at the bottom of the screen. Now click on the Entertainer guy and he'll turn into a Tax Collector - click again and he'll turn into a scientist.
Old November 7, 2002, 23:10   #19
SK138
Warlord

Thanks Wittlich, I wish I would have known that a long time ago. That should make a huge difference in my game.
Old November 8, 2002, 01:33   #20
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 20:04
War should help with the proliferation of weapon technologies. For example if you kill someone with a musket and you only have a club. You will capture that weapon and try figure out how it works. At worst you will pick up the 'hard tube weapon' and use it as a more effective club!

Most of the time knowing that you can do something is halfway to actually achieving something!
Old November 8, 2002, 06:22   #21
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 20:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen

I think the game already does a decent job with the mobilization option.

Increased production and "military only" related production focus the results of your previous innovations that otherwise would have languished for decades in research labs. Most of the German "super weapons" had been in R&D by the university scientists all through the 1930's, but weren't rushed into service until 1944, when it was already too late for them to do any good.
That's a good idea. Mobilization-only production. There are certain things that cannot be built when mobilized, UU's that can only be built by certain Civs or certain governments (well, none in vanilla Civ3, but you can check the flag on/off) so why not the same with mobilization?

Just an idea.