Old November 6, 2002, 21:41   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Getting back into AC
I was just wondering how many of you out there are deciding to start playing AC more often after having played Civ3 for a while.

I like Civ3. Lately, I have been thinking about my past gameplay experiences with AC and yearning for them.

I seem to feel like AC is still light years ahead of any other turn based game that I have played. (I admittedly haven't played them all, like the call to power series).

AC is old, but it is still the game that gives me great memories.

thoughts?
Old November 6, 2002, 21:57   #2
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:34
Well....i haven't played civIII (played CivII and Call To Power) so I don't know what it's like. But what everyone says, it's really buggy.

I like AC because is deals with ideology instead of nationalism. It's more easy to relate to and has so many different layers to it that I find really refreshing and innovative.

I played Call to Power (back in the day) and even though there was a multitude of units, it doesn't compare with the diplomacy and unit customization of AC.

That, and AC has those 'oh-so-refreshing' planet busters that make much more destruction than the nukes in CivII.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old November 7, 2002, 10:58   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 06:34
I won't play Civ3 at all, rather play ToT then that.

But I've been playing ACx again rigorously after a year break. I've modded the rules a bit to balance some of the techs and stuff (copters only move base 5, come later; tanks a bit earlier; some specials projects come earlier/later; etc.).

Been loving it more now then ever!
Old November 7, 2002, 12:57   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 07:34
Yes, I returned to it and I'm having a blast! It still is probably the best TBS game of all time...
Old November 7, 2002, 16:10   #5
spartak
King

Local Time: 10:34
:blast:
Old November 7, 2002, 16:26   #6
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Best TBS ever

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old November 7, 2002, 16:37   #7
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

far better than civ3....far, far, far better....far. in fact:

civ3------------><--------------TKG
Old November 7, 2002, 17:12   #8
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

A while ago I took a long break from SMAC to ease the sleep deprivation , not to try another game. Never tried Civ III but have been disappointed by what I hear. Loved Civ2 but prefer SMAC/X by far!
Old November 7, 2002, 19:35   #9
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Civ3 is poor in comparison to SMAC. SMAC is well researched and manages to make the unknown seem convincing.

Civ3 can't even make the bygone seem convincing.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:37   #10
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
probably the best...
Recant now or burn at the stake!!
Old November 8, 2002, 07:32   #11
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba

Recant now or burn at the stake!!
Ok, ok, it is the best TBS of all time! I just wanted to show some respect to the old Civ2...

Quote:
Civ3 is poor in comparison to SMAC. SMAC is well researched and manages to make the unknown seem convincing.

Civ3 can't even make the bygone seem convincing.
Sig material...
Old November 8, 2002, 15:11   #12
night crawler
Settler

I have only recently started playing SMAC and it is my new favorite game. Civ 2 was my favorite for years. Civ 3 never grabed me like I thought it would... it's just not what I had hoped for I guess. Although I recently bought the play the world expansion pack and have yet to use it... I plan to soon. It's just too hard to tear myself away from AC. The call to power series never really did it for me either. I have call to power 2 but seldom play that. I recently found a copy of ToT and I do like that game a lot... but I only have so much time to spend on gaming, with work and other responsibilites. Overall I would have to say SMAC is the best game ever with Civ 2 as a solid second choice. I have been trying to obtain a copy of Alien Crossfire off of ebay but always get out bid. Guess I will have to shell out some more dough...
Old November 8, 2002, 15:25   #13
Sarxis
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm

Ok, ok, it is the best TBS of all time! I just wanted to show some respect to the old Civ2...

Sig material...
Your new sig has earned you your absolution.

But you are right: Civ2 even out-does Civ3.
Old November 9, 2002, 17:28   #14
ashbery
Chieftain

Well i've started playing this game again after about a year and its still rocks, its much better than civ3 it has far more inovation and style if only we had more turn based game's like AC.
Old November 9, 2002, 18:21   #15
Clear Skies
Prince

Just started my first game in over a month - I defected to Theme Hospital for a while, and I've just had too much schoolwork otherwise.
Still love the game. It's fantastic, and for an amateur writer like me it has so much scope for development
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old November 10, 2002, 12:25   #16
dworkin
Chieftain

Getting back is easy. It was a matter of finding where the SO hid the disk.

In no other TBS can you raise/lower terrain to the extent of AC.
Unit design.
Social engineering and the fact that the other factions will change thier opinions based on this.
Unit design.
Yang's quotes.
Unit design.
The different factions encourage differnet styles and victory paths.
Unit design.
Native life is an actual hassle with several methods to deal with it.
Did I mention I like being able to design my own units?
Old November 10, 2002, 14:22   #17
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

I've returned to SMAC last week after about three months away (a PBEM fizzled out and I was sceptical about the single player).

I incorporated some of marid_aurian's suggestions to the game and found it to be very enjoyable!
Old November 10, 2002, 15:30   #18
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dworkin
Getting back is easy
not after civ3 it's not! whenever i wanted a forest, i kept pushing 'n' and getting condensors!
Old November 10, 2002, 16:09   #19
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

It is time for you to forget all that Civ3 has taught you. Reach out and embrace the truths of SMAC, young Skywalker.
Old November 10, 2002, 16:17   #20
Method
Emperor

i did, back in april or so. besides, the only thing civ3 taught me was how good SMAC is
Old November 10, 2002, 23:30   #21
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Amen.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:24   #22
gwillybj
Prince

Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Re: Getting back into AC
Quote:
vee4473 wrote
... AC is still light years ahead of any other turn based game ...
If memory serves me correctly, AC is roughly 4.3 light years ahead (and nothing else is even close).
Old November 11, 2002, 05:40   #23
MariOne
King

Local Time: 12:34
Hmmmm... you might have given an idea to NASA... interstellar TURN BASED spaceflight....

Hey, with all these people coming back, I must say I CAN'T comeback.
...because... I never stopped!
I am instead trying to take a break now, as in 2 months it will be 4 years that I'm playin it without interruptions (even when I took some very short holiday, I didn't go away form home & my PC...).
Old November 11, 2002, 05:43   #24
Sarxis
Emperor

The really sad thing is that someday, Firaxis may actually make a sequel, and then life really won't be worth living anymore.

I sent a PM to Brian Reynolds urging him to buy the rights to AC.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:40   #25
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:34
Ummmm, as long as BR doesn't turn it into RTS schlock…
Old February 20, 2003, 13:49   #26
Nethog
Warlord

Add me to the list of those who went off SMAC to play Civ3/PTW and are now back playing SMAC confirming it is the best turned-based strategy game of all time.

As for a sequel, even if Firaxis just upgraded the graphics to modern high-resolution 3D, and improved the AI, I would immediately fork out $50US for the game! Anyone else share this opinion?
Get them at:http://pmm1.home.comcast.net/games/games.html
Old February 20, 2003, 20:44   #27
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Let them iron out the bugs first and then I'll put my money where my fingertips are.
Old February 20, 2003, 21:14   #28
vee4473
King

nice avatar Alinestra.
Old February 21, 2003, 02:02   #29
HaVoC
Settler

Local Time: 11:34
Civ3 vs AC
Greetings,

I agree that AC is generally the better game; the excellent diplomacy options, the council, the custom units, satellite "space combat", land heights, the psycho-virus, the great immersive storyline and just the way the whole game feels, the whole story and the technologies really show, that the people who made it actually invested alot of time in figuring it all out.

But let's face it that Civ3 is far superior in certain issues like:

1. Balance of Power: In Civ3 I have to actually try hard to stay on top of the "leading civilizations" list. More so without constantly going to war against neighbouring civs. In every other civ-like game I played (except freeciv, which is WAY too hard), it just ends up to me becoming the one and only world-dominating power leading with 50 technoligies before everyone else.

2. War: In Civ3, war is serious. When someone declares war to you you can actually expect them to have taken measures by having moved all their assault troops and artillery next to your borders ready to overrun you on the next turn. The AI does very well at forging alliances against you and he also tries very hard to defend himself. In every other civ I've played (except Freeciv again, where all the AI does is overrun you all the time) the AI just sits there and practically waits for you to conquer his cities. Once in a while he sends some lone troops or a lone transport to get beaten up by your defences... it's not a challenge.

3. Special Resources: This is something I like, but perhaps overpowered in Civ3. A player without iron hasn't a chance against one with iron in the early ages, for example. I don't like the implementation of the resource system, that one resource is enough for a whole civ, no matter it's size or how often that resource is actually used, but I like the concept.

if these three things get into AC II, and they don't mess up everything that makes it so good, we've got the perfect game.
Old February 21, 2003, 04:16   #30
Mr. Harley
Prince

A question for Havoc - I haven't seen any comparisons yet between Freeciv and SMAC or Civ3. You mention Freeciv, which has some people working on a Alpha Centauri version using its game engine. I might try Freeciv depending on what makes it tough. Why is it "too hard?" Does the AI cheat, or just its very well written, i.e. it makes very few mistakes? I'm curious, because yours is the first good a-b statement I've seen reference SMAC/Civ3. I'd be interested in you comparision of these to Freeciv. Thanks.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.