Old November 6, 2002, 22:34   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Release Date?
Just wondering, when is MOO3 scheduled to come out now?

It seems to have been pushed back twice; from Dec 2001 to Feb 2002 and further?

What's it's current status?

Thanks!

-DC

Old November 7, 2002, 00:50   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:34
11/26/02 per Rantz.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2002, 04:20   #3
DATarbell

That would be the same Rantz cited in today's news item (in regard to the MoO3 box) as having "officially stated that no member of the game`s development team has seen finalized boxart for it and that, to the best of their knowledge, it is presently going through yet another re-design."

Let's see. Today's the 6th. Product is supposed to street on the 26th. Box isn't finalized, never mind in production.

You do the math.
Old November 7, 2002, 07:14   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:34
If it was a developer issue then math would be a good approach. With publishers I find licking a finger and sticking it in the air is a better method - it more closely follows their internal methods
Old November 7, 2002, 08:32   #5
Llama
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
If it was a developer issue then math would be a good approach. With publishers I find licking a finger and sticking it in the air is a better method - it more closely follows their internal methods
Close, but don't forget the general lack of geographical knowledge of publishers, so they end up sticking it elsewhere...
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2002, 10:25   #6
Gooberman32
Warlord

Local Time: 18:34
Does anyone have any idea when MoO3 be coming out in asia pacific?
Old November 7, 2002, 11:22   #7
DATarbell

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooberman32
Does anyone have any idea when MoO3 be coming out in asia pacific?
We don't even have a clear idea when it's coming out here in the States! They have been repeating "November 26th" like it was a mantra, labeling those of us who still questioned that date as 'conspiracy theorists,' and now it's November 6th (and beyond) and the box art is still reputed to be undergoing design changes!

Llama: it's not so much where they end up sticking that finger that worries me, it's more the pleasure they seem to get from doing it repeatedly!
Old November 7, 2002, 11:36   #8
Hrett
Settler

I am no industry expert, but I seem to recall that Neverwinter Nights went from Gold to stores in just about 13-14 days. It was an Infograms title. I am sure that I have seen other gamse do this also. No need to panic yet.

Truthfully, at this stage of bug fixing, I would rather that they take a few extra days to get it in good playable form -- I know there will always be patches, but getting it nice and polished for shipping has some value.

I will have to admit though -- getting it on the 26th to have over Thanksgiving week would be really nice!

Keep up the good work QS!

Hrett
Hrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2002, 12:13   #9
Llama
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DATarbell

We don't even have a clear idea when it's coming out here in the States! They have been repeating "November 26th" like it was a mantra, labeling those of us who still questioned that date as 'conspiracy theorists,' and now it's November 6th (and beyond) and the box art is still reputed to be undergoing design changes!
Or IG could have chosen the box art & simply not informed QSI.
Not that IG would do that, with their perfect record of corporate communication.
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2002, 12:26   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

20 days is not an impossible target, and as Llama points out, I doubt they're phoning QS daily to update them on every detail of progress. To quote Oddball "have a little faith, baby."

Oh wait....we're talking about Infogrames. Ok, panic!!
Old November 7, 2002, 13:47   #11
DATarbell

Quote:
To quote Oddball "have a little faith, baby."
Now that's what we need--more quotes from "Kelly's Heroes"!

Although perhaps more appropriate in our current (dire?) circumstances would be: "You hear that sound? That is the sound of ultimate suffering. The people waiting for MoO3 to finally come out make it now."
Old November 7, 2002, 14:39   #12
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hrett
I seem to recall that Neverwinter Nights went from Gold to stores in just about 13-14 days
But the NWN box was done half a year before release. I remeber seeing Aribeth's sweet little tush on the box featured on every fansite for ages before they released. That gold disk went straight into done packaging, as it were.
Old November 7, 2002, 14:52   #13
DATarbell

Hrett's right: it is possible to go from Gold master to in-store in just 13-14 days. But it is extremely difficult (i.e., expen$ive).

Typical turn on CD production is 5 days. Pay extra, and find a duplicator who can fit you into their current production schedule, and you can cut that to 3.

Typical product build (which can't begin until the CDs are fully mastered) is 10 days for a new product, somewhat less for an 'established' product (i.e., they've already worked with the primary components at least once before). Again, pay extra and find a production house that can fit you into their current production schedule, and you can cut that to 5 days.

All of these estimates are based on standard (Mon-Fri) business days. Throw even more money at the process and you can include weekends and even holidays.

Finally, expedite shipping (more money) and you can have it in stores within 2 days of finished product.
Old November 7, 2002, 14:58   #14
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 12:34
me thinks that by now they would not be "afraid" to announce a delay of couple weeks

me also thinks that if they say they are on schedule 3 weeks before release they probably mean it
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2002, 15:11   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DATarbell
That would be the same Rantz cited in today's news item (in regard to the MoO3 box) as having "officially stated that no member of the game`s development team has seen finalized boxart for it and that, to the best of their knowledge, it is presently going through yet another re-design."

Let's see. Today's the 6th. Product is supposed to street on the 26th. Box isn't finalized, never mind in production.

You do the math.
I did not say it was a fact, only what has been stated. The box is ugly, but I doubt they will hold off for that. If it is delayed that will not be the reason.
Old November 7, 2002, 15:15   #16
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally posted by Llama

Or IG could have chosen the box art & simply not informed QSI.
To clarify on the quote/speculation...

No one here at QS or Con (while he was here) has seen the final box art, and *last I had heard* it was going to be redesigned from what I had seen last, because IG's packaging group asked for about 50 high rez shots for box art about two and a half months ago.

so, I am *assuming* they redesigned the box, or reworked the design, or whatever level of change occured based on that. I don't know what the final box looks like...

BUT

the final box *is* done, the manuals are printed (We actually have the numbers of how many were printed, so we know that's the case) and the jewel cases are waiting for their discs.

which should be there very very soon

by the by, I started a game of MOO3 last night, 'just to check out one thing' with no intention of playing a full blown game.

next thing I know it's 2:45 and I'm 200+ turns into it...
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2002, 15:36   #17
DATarbell

So what I hear you saying Rantz is that, even after the "final push" is done and over you still won't be getting much sleep because you guys have nailed the "just one more turn" aspect!

I can hardly wait until we are all losing sleep!
Old November 7, 2002, 15:42   #18
Hrett
Settler

{[/QUOTE]
the final box *is* done, the manuals are printed (We actually have the numbers of how many were printed, so we know that's the case) and the jewel cases are waiting for their discs.

which should be there very very soon

by the by, I started a game of MOO3 last night, 'just to check out one thing' with no intention of playing a full blown game.

next thing I know it's 2:45 and I'm 200+ turns into it... [/QUOTE]

Woo Hoo!

Encouraging!Keep up the good work and thanks for being so in touch with us here at the forums.

Hrett
Hrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2002, 16:25   #19
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

In that case, since the manuals have been printed, it would seem reasonable that IG has decided if we Euros get any?
Old November 7, 2002, 16:36   #20
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
In that case, since the manuals have been printed, it would seem reasonable that IG has decided if we Euros get any?
still trying to find the details to that out.

sorry for the hold up
Old November 7, 2002, 17:57   #21
vmxa1
Deity

Rantz now you ae talking. Moo and Moo2 have keep me up late just this past month (even after all these years I can still get hooked).
Old November 7, 2002, 23:19   #22
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Thanks for the dates information

By the looks of it... it seems like it might be delayed a week or two due to the box art production, however

Nevertheless, I look forward to this game!
(As long as the influence points is implemented correctly! ) I like large-spanning games (civ II) but sometimes hate the bogging-downness that games like Star General had...
Old November 8, 2002, 00:09   #23
Atragon
Prince

Local Time: 05:34
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Thanks for the dates information

By the looks of it... it seems like it might be delayed a week or two due to the box art production, however

Nevertheless, I look forward to this game!
(As long as the influence points is implemented correctly! ) I like large-spanning games (civ II) but sometimes hate the bogging-downness that games like Star General had...
IFP was ripped out of the game quite some time ago.
Atragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2002, 03:48   #24
vmxa1
Deity

No IFP. Star general, do not see that mentioned too often.
Old November 8, 2002, 06:10   #25
Grumbold
Emperor

Members of the development team suffering from one-more-turn syndrome despite having been staring at the game for years. Now that's a good sign

Guess you forgot to set your MOO alarm, huh?
Old November 8, 2002, 13:53   #26
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Members of the development team suffering from one-more-turn syndrome despite having been staring at the game for years. Now that's a good sign
yeah that's what *I* was thinking at 2am-ish I was like... "holy sh**! I did NOT mean to play that long! Followed by Holy Sh**! I got wrapped up in it enough that I played that long!"

A couple of artists who said that TBS games aren't their thing, and that they'd never have 'one-more-turn syndrome addmitted to me yesterday that they've found themselves playing at very late hours, wanting to play 'just a bit more' to see what coming up next.

So, I'm happy The corruption begins...

Quote:
Guess you forgot to set your MOO alarm, huh?
wellll, I was *only* going to play to double check that a text string had got fixed. 20 turns Max... heh...

I can quit anytime, honest!
Old November 8, 2002, 14:22   #27
vmxa1
Deity

Lucky for me I do not have to get up, so if I play too late, it is not a problem, so bring on the game.
Old November 8, 2002, 14:36   #28
DATarbell

Rantz, you know there's a number of us here that are very concerned that you're not getting enough sleep, and we were thinking that we'd be glad to verify text strings and such for you! Just send the game on over and we'll get right on it!
Old November 8, 2002, 15:02   #29
Anguille2
Chieftain

I am afraid....i will get fired for playing MOO3 at work, at night and while eating and sleeping. Aaaah....and i am already an addict to the first 3 games.....it's the end.

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.
Anguille2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2002, 17:26   #30
BraerFox
Settler

Local Time: 04:34
This is scary

I may have to change my mind about buying Moo3

I can't aford to be addicted to Moo3. If it happened to Rantz, There's not doubt what it will probably do to the rest of us

Just kidding Can't wait
BraerFox is offline   Reply With Quote